Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

...It took you 2 hours to get through Skyrim's tutorial?

You're just not very good at modern videogames are you?

back at you, champ. fallout 2's tutorial is a good 15 minutes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hello, this is me.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

numberoneposter posted:

if you like collecting things forever you should check out the MadMax game

its like a 6.5/10 kind of game but oh boy you can collecting things FOREVER

best thing about that game is to make your arch angel as light and fast as gently caress with gently caress off huge ram in the front and just blow other drivers into kingdom come

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
hell, every modern bethesda game has a lovely tutorial you learn to hate by the second time you start the game from the beginning. so much for modern game design, huh

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Hello, this is me.

i am handing you over to authorities to inspect your steam library right now

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

back at you, champ. fallout 2's tutorial is a good 15 minutes long.

Fallout 2 is not a modern game.

Arcanum has very similar gameplay but beats Fallout 2 in every conceivable way.

For instance, I can actually kill the mobs at the beginning of the game and it doesn't take hours.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

For instance, I can actually kill the mobs at the beginning of the game and it doesn't take hours.

Arcanum was basically Fallout 3: Van Buren after those nerds lost their rights to that IP

with dorfs and magic revolvers that is

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

you're right, it's an old game. killing things doesn't take hours in fallout 2. arcanum has abysmal game balance. you can win every fight by spamming the first spell you get in RT combat. technology is next to useless. the turn based combat is just as slow as fallout 2's.it was full of bugs at release and they abandoned it like after a single patch that barely made it playable.

uh, what's it better at again?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

you're right, it's an old game. killing things doesn't take hours in fallout 2. arcanum has abysmal game balance. you can win every fight by spamming the first spell you get in RT combat. technology is next to useless. the turn based combat is just as slow as fallout 2's.it was full of bugs at release and they abandoned it like after a single patch that barely made it playable.

uh, what's it better at again?

better gameplay, pacing, and dialogue mostly but I see you live in a parallel universe so there's no point arguing about the turn-based combat.

You must be a No Mutants Allowed member or something.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
heh, i've downloaded mods from there back in the day but never posted. arcanum had great dialogue and had the illusion of choice, but in the end it was so badly balanced that if you chose the wrong character build the game was a chore to play. and then with a mage it was way too easy. it's a diamond in the rough, but def as a game very flawed.

i just think that in a way the first two fallouts 2 and baldur's gates were pretty much the pinnacle of CRPG's and when they went 3d and first person things kinda took a turn to worse. granted i don't play a lot anymore, don't have the time but i have tried fallout 3, new vegas and skyrim and they were all just... boring. bad shooters disguised as mediocre rpg's.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 30, 2017

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

The thing I liked about Arcanum was the multiple paths your party or specific character can take depending your actions

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nebelwerfer posted:

The thing I liked about Arcanum was the multiple paths your party or specific character can take depending your actions

it was ambitious and had they pulled it off, it had been the ultimate classic crpg (instead of PS:T I guess). who woulda thunk making a game with so many paths and options was a bitch to QA

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

it was ambitious and had they pulled it off, it had been the ultimate classic crpg (instead of PS:T I guess). who woulda thunk making a game with so many paths and options was a bitch to QA

First two times I played it through was before times of wikis and it really blew my mind with opportunities you had with the plot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

a bone to pick posted:

better gameplay, pacing, and dialogue mostly but I see you live in a parallel universe so there's no point arguing about the turn-based combat.

You must be a No Mutants Allowed member or something.
Was combat in new vegas all that engaging to you? I still felt like I was playing a mushy mess. I mean shooting then nuke gun or whatever was fun but mostly it was sorta bad feeling guns or punching or whatever. Like, fallout 2 combat isn't something I reminisce fondly about but I didn't exactly look forward to combat sections in new vegas either. I mean it's better than godawful elder scrolls combat but that's not saying much.

Basically every grandiose open world rpg ought to be compared to dark souls and witcher 3. If it doesn't excel in the way one of those two games did then it's not worth playing. One day a game will do both and unite the tribes or something but until then we're gonna keep getting mushy-rear end randomly generated fetch quest bethesda nonsense.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Zombiepop posted:

Old Gods(VIKINGS! and a new start date) and Way of Life is probably the most important ones.

Other than that, it depends on where you want to play, Sword of Islam for muslims, Rajas of India for India, Horse Lords for some OP Horde poo poo, Sons of Abraham is nice If you play as a christian or jew, The republic for merchant republics, Reapers due and Monk and Mystics are both really good, tho Monks and Mystics is mostly for the organized religions(christianity, islam). Charlemagne pushed backs the timeline and add some story campaign stuff.
People are still out on conclave but I think it's good. Legacy of rome adds retines which is nice when you are big but makes no difference if you are a count.

Skip the ruler designer and eu 4 converter, just get a mod and never convert you game.
The portrait packs are nice for some flavour If you know you are gonna put a couple of 100 into the game.

Fake edit: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content

i have bought every single dlc excluding music and story stuff, even the useless ones. ck2 is one of my favourite strategy games or rpg's of all time even though after nearly 100 hours i still suck at it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Was combat in new vegas all that engaging to you? I still felt like I was playing a mushy mess. I mean shooting then nuke gun or whatever was fun but mostly it was sorta bad feeling guns or punching or whatever. Like, fallout 2 combat isn't something I reminisce fondly about but I didn't exactly look forward to combat sections in new vegas either. I mean it's better than godawful elder scrolls combat but that's not saying much.

Basically every grandiose open world rpg ought to be compared to dark souls and witcher 3. If it doesn't excel in the way one of those two games did then it's not worth playing. One day a game will do both and unite the tribes or something but until then we're gonna keep getting mushy-rear end randomly generated fetch quest bethesda nonsense.

i think he's talking about arcanum, which had turn based combat that was essentially identical to fallout 2's so i don't get that one either. i agree that fallout new vegas is a bad shooter and VATS is stupid and boring.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Steam summer fail

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

canpakes posted:

Steam summer fail

Look at the savings.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

A dragon's dogma sequel with a good plot and world

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bob James posted:

Look at the savings.

holy gently caress lmao @ everything

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I was talking about arcanum in that post.

The combat in fallout 3 was pretty bad, in New Vegas they let you use iron-sights with every weapon which helps the FPS crowd. New Vegas was at least an RPG/FPS hybrid, fallout 4 is barely an RPG.

One of the cool things about new vegas is how you can avoid combat. You can dress up as a raider or NCR to blend in and sneak by enemies, combined with stealth and a high persuasion you can pretty much get out of any combat scenario.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bob James posted:

Look at the savings.

:stare:

It turns out autism does speak and in speaks in $$$$.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

I was talking about arcanum in that post.

The combat in fallout 3 was pretty bad, in New Vegas they let you use iron-sights with every weapon which helps the FPS crowd. New Vegas was at least an RPG/FPS hybrid, fallout 4 is barely an RPG.

One of the cool things about new vegas is how you can avoid combat. You can dress up as a raider or NCR to blend in and sneak by enemies, combined with stealth and a high persuasion you can pretty much get out of any combat scenario.

New vegas combat is a lot better with project Nevada which lets you set how much damage and health everything has. Makes things a lot more interesting and combat a lot more deadly without being stupid

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

New vegas combat is a lot better with project Nevada which lets you set how much damage and health everything has. Makes things a lot more interesting and combat a lot more deadly without being stupid

I thought Survival mode already pretty much did that? Basically making it like 'realistic' mode in the original Deus Ex.

There was a mod made by one of the devs on NV that made the game a lot more challenging and I usually run with that and just a few other tweaks when doing a playthrough.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Josh_Sawyer%27s_Mod

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Bob James posted:

Look at the savings.

Lmbo that they want $20 for single train model DLCs that /might/ include an actual route to drive on. Just holy loving lol and then they do that 300x+ lmbo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

...It took you 2 hours to get through Skyrim's tutorial?

You're just not very good at modern videogames are you?

Oh no, someone on the internet may be critical of your skills in modern video games

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

I thought Survival mode already pretty much did that? Basically making it like 'realistic' mode in the original Deus Ex.

There was a mod made by one of the devs on NV that made the game a lot more challenging and I usually run with that and just a few other tweaks when doing a playthrough.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Josh_Sawyer%27s_Mod

The only cool thing survival mode does is make stims heal over time. It adds stupid hunger/thirst/sleep meters that have to go down, and adds weight to ammo. As well it makes companions able to permanently die. It's real bad and unfun without making combat any more difficult or less bullet spongey.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Flight Simulator 98 looks pretty bad now. Thanks for the free game, Gateway 2000.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Inept posted:

Flight Simulator 98 looks pretty bad now. Thanks for the free game, Gateway 2000.

are you a bad enough dude to land the plane that only has two side-by-side wheels for some reason???

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i landed a cessena once IRL

it was some white knuckle poo poo

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol at the concept of "being good at Skyrim"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Maya Fey posted:

lol at the concept of "being good at Skyrim"

Isn't Skyrim some babby game for reddit idiots?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Once I put an unarmed mod into Skyrim and the killcams for that are actually kinda brutal and include a curbstomp. I also hip-checked a guy and threw him out a tower window and suplexed a master vampire through a table.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The only cool thing survival mode does is make stims heal over time. It adds stupid hunger/thirst/sleep meters that have to go down, and adds weight to ammo. As well it makes companions able to permanently die. It's real bad and unfun without making combat any more difficult or less bullet spongey.

I thought one of the big things was your damage and enemy damage is multiplied by 2, I guess my brain just imagined that or I had a mod.

mike12345 posted:

Isn't Skyrim some babby game for reddit idiots?

Yeah and it apparently took some old-school pro videogame man 2 hours to get through the tutorial.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

are there any other games wehre you can contract malaria and have to take medication????

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

numberoneposter posted:

are there any other games wehre you can contract malaria and have to take medication????
farcry 2?

Miasmata sort of? http://store.steampowered.com/app/223510/Miasmata/

tho it's more of an orienteering game

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

someone make a mod for fallout new vegas where my character has malaria and i have to find malaria pills

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah and it apparently took some old-school pro videogame man 2 hours to get through the tutorial.

heh, just cause you say so doesn't make it true. i was just pointing out that a relatively long tutorial (i guess 15 to 30 minutes minutes for both skyrim and fallout 2) is not obsolete game design, skyrim being a good example since it's pretty much as streamlined as an RPG can be. is there honestly any AAA crpg without a tutorial similar to the temple of trials, even if it's a bit more engaging?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

is there honestly any AAA crpg without a tutorial similar to the temple of trials, even if it's a bit more engaging?

Arcanum.

You crashland in a open area, meet some priest who's on your dick, then you can stay around and pick up some supplies and fight low-level wildlife or just go to the next area and continue the journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

Arcanum.

You crashland in a open area, meet some priest who's on your dick, then you can stay around and pick up some supplies and fight low-level wildlife or just go to the next area and continue the journey.

ah, arcanum. the prime example of modern video game design.

• Locked thread