Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

call to action posted:

Wow, I thought this was only a scene in Breaking Bad

The families really really wish it was so. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Tar_Squid posted:

Holy poo poo, what a hateful person.

Just got yet another reminder of the scope of this problem. A friend at another group I'm a part of just had two of her son's friends decide to do some pills last week. They turned out to be cut with Fentanyl, and both of them OD'd. For reasons nobody knows but him, the father of one of the boys found the two of them- and just put a pillow under the one boy's head while he took his son to the ER. Right now the parents of the other boy are having to decide if they are going to pull the plug or not. This drug scene has gone completely insane.

What. The. gently caress. That right there, that's not just "something that wrecks a family friendship forever," that's a goddamned lawsuit. You found two people who appear to have overdosed and you only take one of them to the hospital? And now the other has anoxic brain injury and will either require a trach/PEG and 24/7 care or have life support removed? It's hard to imagine not winning that case in civil court. poo poo, the fact that he took his kid to the ED might actually set up a criminal negligence charge, as his own actions define his inaction as something "a reasonable and prudent person" would do.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
There's always more and it's always worse.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cmoraff/status/880462443180429315

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What. The. gently caress. That right there, that's not just "something that wrecks a family friendship forever," that's a goddamned lawsuit. You found two people who appear to have overdosed and you only take one of them to the hospital? And now the other has anoxic brain injury and will either require a trach/PEG and 24/7 care or have life support removed? It's hard to imagine not winning that case in civil court. poo poo, the fact that he took his kid to the ED might actually set up a criminal negligence charge, as his own actions define his inaction as something "a reasonable and prudent person" would do.

Oh yeah there's criminal indictments along the way. Also surviving kid was the one that got a hold of said pills in the first place. Their respective Facebook pages are having a collective meltdown since the family is asking people to delete or modify any posts that mention the event using the word 'overdose'. No poo poo. It's probably good that its summer and school is out right now, because I have no idea what the other kids are going to be saying and doing to the surviving kid. Hell *I* wouldn't know what to say or do.

( also should mention these are all kids from very well-to-do families, which is why nobody is currently in jail, yet. )

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
If they weren't from well-to-do families no one would care someone could die in the first place.

So is it a crime for me to prescribe it to a drug dealer? Because I write prescriptions for everyone who comes in as an overdose, and I know some of them probably deal as well as use.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

There is something very very wrong with this nation.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

What a hellish life you must have if your reaction to people overdosing is to punish them and hope they die rather than trying to fix the underlying problems.

Hoping someone from a politicians family dies from an OD so they can start taking the problem seriously.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fried Watermelon posted:

What a hellish life you must have if your reaction to people overdosing is to punish them and hope they die rather than trying to fix the underlying problems.

It's not much of a step from that to Duterte's "shoot addicts in the head" philosophy.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's not much of a step from that to Duterte's "shoot addicts in the head" philosophy.

It's like they learned politics from Cannon Films.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

n/m

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 29, 2017

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tar_Squid posted:

Holy poo poo, what a hateful person.

Just got yet another reminder of the scope of this problem. A friend at another group I'm a part of just had two of her son's friends decide to do some pills last week. They turned out to be cut with Fentanyl, and both of them OD'd. For reasons nobody knows but him, the father of one of the boys found the two of them- and just put a pillow under the one boy's head while he took his son to the ER. Right now the parents of the other boy are having to decide if they are going to pull the plug or not. This drug scene has gone completely insane.

If they have to pull the plug they really should charge that guy with manslaughter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hoping someone from a politicians family dies from an OD so they can start taking the problem seriously.

Actually fixing the problem costs money and only the rich have that right now. Of course they aren't going to spend their hard-earned money that they totally deserve you dirty pleb on the rest of us.

The other side of that is there's a poo poo load of profit to be made manufacturing opioids so of course pharma companies want to shovel more pills into America as fast as they'll go. Who cares if people die? They're a renewable resource.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
One thing to keep in mind with local policy is that the economical option for "fixing the addiction/homeless problem" as far as they're concerned can be just making some of them leave. Doesn't make it less cruel, but it's not crazy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BarbarianElephant posted:

No kidding, I was about to say the same thing. In the Trump era of America, the prevailing attitude seems to be "nah, gently caress those sub-humans; let's pray they die quickly and quietly so the problem goes away on its own."

What a loving mess of a country. :(

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

pangstrom posted:

One thing to keep in mind with local policy is that the economical option for "fixing the addiction/homeless problem" as far as they're concerned can be just making some of them leave. Doesn't make it less cruel, but it's not crazy.

It is crazy when the economic system is the cause of the addiction and homeless people. Do they think people just choose to become homeless? If they get rid of the current population of homeless people without fixing the problems that caused them to be homeless, eventually more people will become homeless.

It's like making being homeless illegal, it's not going to stop it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fried Watermelon posted:

It is crazy when the economic system is the cause of the addiction.

Let's separate the addiction problem and homelessness problem for a moment. I've heard a lot of conjecture about the feeling of "hopelessness" that just leads people to shooting heroin, but if that were the case, surely we would've seen these epidemic levels of drug addiction and overdoses in the black community while they were being treated as property, lynched, systematically discriminated against, told where they can and cannot live (redlining/sundown towns) and everything else. I wonder how "economically anxious" that made them?

Yet it would seem that, although addiction is a problem that exists within every social group to some degree, the White Working Class is being hit disproportionately hard by the current opiate epidemic, which suggests to me that there are significant causal factors beyond "capitalism bad."

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Let's separate the addiction problem and homelessness problem for a moment. I've heard a lot of conjecture about the feeling of "hopelessness" that just leads people to shooting heroin, but if that were the case, surely we would've seen these epidemic levels of drug addiction and overdoses in the black community while they were being treated as property, lynched, systematically discriminated against, told where they can and cannot live (redlining/sundown towns) and everything else. I wonder how "economically anxious" that made them?

Yet it would seem that, although addiction is a problem that exists within every social group to some degree, the White Working Class is being hit disproportionately hard by the current opiate epidemic, which suggests to me that there are significant causal factors beyond "capitalism bad."

It's partially different drugs. It's generally a lot harder to die from smoking crack than from injecting carfentanil. Also the white folk were more likely to have health insurance in the first place (to get their pill addiction started) and, despite being poor, they've still got a bit more cash than black people - which goes to drugs.

One of the main reasons the crack epidemic started was due to a significant decline in the economic position of black people coming out of the 70s. Capitalism loving bad man.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

Isolation is a reason for drug abuse. Work long hours at a lovely job, go home to your isolated suburb where you don't know your neighbors. There is no social support network, neighborhoods aren't communities anymore.

It also seems like the White Working Class gets hit harder because that's what sells newspapers, but I may be wrong if you have the stats.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
On a similar note, my hospital was dispensing naloxone kits and now we are having issues with the police confiscating them. I have since left, but this is a very well known tourist city in the land of 10k lakes that is hardest hit by the opioid epidemic.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This RT interview with Dr. Richard Wolff discusses the opioid epidemic at 9 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQ72LQf4kk

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 30, 2017

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

reagan posted:

On a similar note, my hospital was dispensing naloxone kits and now we are having issues with the police confiscating them. I have since left, but this is a very well known tourist city in the land of 10k lakes that is hardest hit by the opioid epidemic.

This is baffling, since it's the cops and paramedics who are first responders to overdose cases.

What reason do the police give for confiscating those naloxone kits?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kromlech posted:

This RT interview with Dr. Richard Wolff discusses the opioid epidemic at 9 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQ72LQf4kk

This was fantastic and perfectly encapsulates what I believe about the opioid epidemic, RT being poo poo normally notwithstanding.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

call to action posted:

This was fantastic and perfectly encapsulates what I believe about the opioid epidemic, RT being poo poo normally notwithstanding.

Yeah, what the gently caress is the actual endgame for Putin? Fund an "alternative" news source in the US, then use it to criticize the puppet president that his own government, under his orders, helped during the election, using (accurate) rhetoric against the billionaire class of which he himself is a prominent part?

Is he basically Petyr Baelish, trying to gently caress everyone over and create chaos so he can do his best to scamper to the top of the rubble afterward?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is the actual endgame for Putin? Fund an "alternative" news source in the US, then use it to criticize the puppet president that his own government, under his orders, helped during the election, using (accurate) rhetoric against the billionaire class of which he himself is a prominent part?

Is he basically Petyr Baelish, trying to gently caress everyone over and create chaos so he can do his best to scamper to the top of the rubble afterward?

That seems to be it, yeah. In particular, Putin seems to view the US as a potential threat to Russian interests, and is trying to destabilize us to keep us out of Ukraine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

You think that there wasn't? Mind that was also before the War on Drugs started and also before the massively deadly drugs we have now really hit the market. Not as many statistics were kept and drug use was just kind of a thing that existed. It didn't get as much press because it wasn't as deadly and we didn't hear about drug smugglers every other day in the news.

There has always been addiction. The difference now is that we have substances that can make you overdose if you so much as touch them. In the past the way to die of addiction was generally drinking yourself to death over multiple decades.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You think that there wasn't? Mind that was also before the War on Drugs started and also before the massively deadly drugs we have now really hit the market. Not as many statistics were kept and drug use was just kind of a thing that existed. It didn't get as much press because it wasn't as deadly and we didn't hear about drug smugglers every other day in the news.

There has always been addiction. The difference now is that we have substances that can make you overdose if you so much as touch them. In the past the way to die of addiction was generally drinking yourself to death over multiple decades.

Of course there was addiction! Let's face it though, even severe alcoholism won't kill you that fast. I know a guy that drinks every morning and keeps going until he passes out, unless he runs out of booze first. He's 68, and though his mind is hosed and he can barely walk there's nothing that's going to physically kill him.

My cousin died of a heroin overdose when he was 24.

We've had opiates and patches of despair for hundreds of years and white people, especially working class, are bearing the brunt of the increase even though black people go through all the same poo poo and also have to worry about economic discrimination and Officer Honky getting an itchy trigger finger at a traffic stop. I think it's fairly safe to say economics and despair aren't primary causal factors, though I will say they might exacerbate the problem. Overprescription of opiates makes so much more sense, because it explains exactly the patterns we're seeing.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

PT6A posted:

There's no simple answer to that sort of question, any even if you can dream up a theory there's no way have it be at all verifiable. If I had to take a stab though the big 2 reasons why it's the white working class that is dying at an insane rate from opioid abuse:

1) "The American Dream", that crazy philosophy that our society is perfectly meritocratic and if you just work hard enough you can achieve your hearts desire has broke this nation in the head. I doubt I need to elaborate that how a philosophy that labels those with money as "deserving" and those without as "lazy" is poisonous. The problem is that this idea is just so inherent in our nation's overview, and insidiously it has the greatest belief among the working class. It's the modern coal miner nostalgia writ large, sure your job might be difficult, but you work hard, and therefor can have pride that you aren't a worthless parasite like those lazy welfare cheats. Take this worldview, and then toss in the great economic changes that have left said working classes without the hard working jobs that they largely defined their self-worth based on and you have a brewing existential crisis. Now you've got a broken self-loathing social group that increasingly seeks psychological solace in the numbing euphoria of opioids.

2) Racism. It's no secret that the opioid epidemic is hammering white people disproportionately, and this ties directly into racism. We now know that the large majority of those who use heroin started on prescription narcotics. Because of racial prejudices minorities largely were not given prescription opioids to begin with for pain concerns, due to them being perceived as drug abusers and drug seekers. Racial prejudices resulted in prescribers disproportionately writing a shitload more prescriptions for white people who asked for them, and now whites make up the huge majority of the epidemic as a fallout of that.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Not sure how involved in RT Putin actually is. All I know is RT's chair is someone named Svetlana Mironyuk

call to action posted:

Richard Wolff is a living sage and everything he touches is knowledge gold. I highly recommend his monthly economic updates which you can find here (June doesn't have one but July will).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?democracyatwrk?videos

Subvisual Haze posted:

There's no simple answer to that sort of question, any even if you can dream up a theory there's no way have it be at all verifiable. If I had to take a stab though the big 2 reasons why it's the white working class that is dying at an insane rate from opioid abuse:

1) "The American Dream", that crazy philosophy that our society is perfectly meritocratic and if you just work hard enough you can achieve your hearts desire has broke this nation in the head. I doubt I need to elaborate that how a philosophy that labels those with money as "deserving" and those without as "lazy" is poisonous. The problem is that this idea is just so inherent in our nation's overview, and insidiously it has the greatest belief among the working class. It's the modern coal miner nostalgia writ large, sure your job might be difficult, but you work hard, and therefor can have pride that you aren't a worthless parasite like those lazy welfare cheats[. Take this worldview, and then toss in the great economic changes that have left said working classes without the hard working jobs that they largely defined their self-worth based on and you have a brewing existential crisis. Now you've got a broken self-loathing social group that increasingly seeks psychological solace in the numbing euphoria of opioids.

2) Racism. It's no secret that the opioid epidemic is hammering white people disproportionately, and this ties directly into racism. We now know that the large majority of those who use heroin started on prescription narcotics. Because of racial prejudices minorities largely were not given prescription opioids to begin with for pain concerns, due to them being perceived as drug abusers and drug seekers. Racial prejudices resulted in prescribers disproportionately writing a shitload more prescriptions for white people who asked for them, and now whites make up the huge majority of the epidemic as a fallout of that.
Very well articulated points imho.

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 1, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Do they think people just choose to become homeless?

Yes, absolutely and unironically. That, and obviously those people surely made poor choices in life to end up that way, so they deserve it.

People who think this way are not thinking rationally or logically about the problem; they simply do not acknowledge economics at all and genuinely believe that we are in total control of our actions and choices in life, Just World beliefs and all that.

It's hosed, but you have to comprehend how people 'on the other side' like this view the world and how it works which is totally alien from our own understanding.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 1, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yes, absolutely and unironically. That, and obviously those people surely made poor choices in life to end up that way, so they deserve it.

People who think this way are not thinking rationally or logically about the problem; they simply do not acknowledge economics at all and genuinely believe that we are in total control of our actions and choices in life, Just World beliefs and all that.

It's hosed, but you have to comprehend how people 'on the other side' like this view the world and how it works which is totally alien from our own understanding.

Well my friend, let me tell you a little something about God's Poor vs. the Devil's Poor... :smuggo:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Watermelon posted:

This actually does happen a lot. Opioids are real real good and addict can strike anyone, rich or poor

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

Hmm maybe you're starting from incorrect premises in your analysis then

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

call to action posted:

One of the main reasons the crack epidemic started was due to a significant decline in the economic position of black people coming out of the 70s. Capitalism loving bad man.

I like this theory:

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It was a 3 pronged attack - export their jobs, flood their neighborhoods with crack, and ramp up the prison system. This destroyed the black family and they were the beta testers of the globalist plan.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

PT6A posted:

Of course there was addiction! Let's face it though, even severe alcoholism won't kill you that fast. I know a guy that drinks every morning and keeps going until he passes out, unless he runs out of booze first. He's 68, and though his mind is hosed and he can barely walk there's nothing that's going to physically kill him.

My cousin died of a heroin overdose when he was 24.

We've had opiates and patches of despair for hundreds of years and white people, especially working class, are bearing the brunt of the increase even though black people go through all the same poo poo and also have to worry about economic discrimination and Officer Honky getting an itchy trigger finger at a traffic stop. I think it's fairly safe to say economics and despair aren't primary causal factors, though I will say they might exacerbate the problem. Overprescription of opiates makes so much more sense, because it explains exactly the patterns we're seeing.

well an illicit opioid habit is more dangerous than a legal alcohol habit because there is no consistency in quality or drugs used. in people and places where the dosage is kept consistent and clear like it is with alcohol (i.e., switzerland), one is much less likely to die from opioid use because they know exactly what theyre getting

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is the heroin clinic a good first step in stabilizing addicts?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
yes, that is my opinion but it is also what the results of Switzerland's heroin maintenance program suggest

peej
Apr 10, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This actually does happen a lot. Opioids are real real good and addict can strike anyone, rich or poor

Both of Mary Taylor's sons (lieutenant governor of Ohio under Kasich and a 2018 governor candidate) are opioid addicts. She's talked about it publicly.over the last month.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Oh, cool, good plan, Rick.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/07/06/butler-county-sheriff-rick-jones-my-deputies-wont-use-narcan/457229001/

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Questions that demand answers:

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/opinion/some-opioid-questions-that-demand-answers/8rr56ldVNXX0oWcsZenkFK/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Because this is a purge of the lower classes