Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

theshim posted:

You are really mad about Fates for some reason, maybe you shouldn't follow the LP if it makes you angry.

As I already said: I'm following the LP because I want to see how it ends (a variant of morbid curiosity combined with the "sunk cost fallacy" at a guess). I'm mostly getting angry at its DEFENDERS right now.

Look at it this way: Think of something you consider to be absolutely horrible with almost no redeeming values, made worse because you can see hints of something that could have been great if it'd just been done right. Then think of someone who actually, unironically LIKES that thing, often for the very reasons you hate it. Now picture that someone telling you you're flat-out wrong and your opinion doesn't count while using said "things you hate that they like" as "proof" that the thing is objectively, universally good and you should like it OR ELSE (using some hyperbole here, but bear with me). Wouldn't you get pissed off at them?

Granted, an inversion of the above implies that what I'm saying is pissing other people off because I'm doing more-or-less the opposite of the above scenario... but right now I'm just trying to explain my viewpoint (and, incidentally, coming to the conclusion that Revolver is not worth speaking at, especially since they're plainly not listening). At least I'm acknowledging that all this stuff is a matter of opinion.

inthesto posted:

Also, it gave us the first female fighter, and she rules.

Actually, Fates pretty much has two, one for each faction: Rinkah (who is a fighter in all but name, albeit one with abnormally low Strength for her class and an unusual choice of secondary weapon) and Charlotte (who is more along the lines of Awakening's Barbarian, right down to her base class's promotions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Strike one: My posts are insufferably stupid, regardless of the standard you use to judge them. Strike two: My long-winded arguments are forgettable at best. Strike three: My posting gimmicks are poorly-executed, often nonsensical, never foreshadowed or adequately explained, and pretty much invariably detrimental to the forum itself. Conclusion: I am a horrible poster and everyone should put me on ignore.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

nah you screamed and melted down about wanting to kill the writers of a video game, you're a weird lunatic who should really stop posting in this thread.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Would you all stop it this getting ridiculous.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

blatant insults of subjective credibility

If you find me so horrible, just take your own advice: Skip over my posts and pretend I'm not here. Insulting me isn't gonna make me go away, and may in fact provoke me into responding to you (as it did here, if only to call you out on using modified quotes for the sole purpose of insulting me when you COULD just be ignoring me yourself; again, I am fully aware how troll-y that makes me sound). In fact, in the interest of keeping this LP relatively civil, I'm going to recommend doing just that: If you find me insufferable, DON'T READ MY POSTS! I'll admit that there tends to be a lot of words to skip, but it's not hard to do so (the Page Down key exists for exactly this reason), and last I checked nobody's holding a gun to your heads and FORCING you to read them. Also, I'd say that quoting someone (even if you modify it, as Burger did here) is the exact opposite of ignoring.

Kinda like I've decided to do with Revolver, actually. We're obviously never gonna agree (due to the scenario I've already detailed), so why waste everyone's time rehashing the same arguments again and again? It'll be easier on everyone involved if we just refuse to acknowledge each other.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Vote's over. Camilla and Takumi are the fill-ins.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Was that C support real? :psyduck:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

I am so disappointed that the entire support wasn't just ellipses and facial expressions that got gradually more approving

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I was playing through Conquest when I got Echoes, tried out Echoes and immediately stopped my Conquest play-through. Echoes is just so much more competently done, with actually likeable characters that mostly aren't idiots. The maps can get repetitive, but I think it's basically a wash with Mila's Turnwheel preventing you from having to redo entire maps for a miss-click like in Conquest.

I always play these games on Casual (cuz that's all I am) so it's never been an issue for me.

Also, I don't know about you guys but when I replay a game that I regularly beat, I generally skip cutscenes again unless there's a funny or cool part that comes up somewhere. I've seen it already. I remember it, I just wanna get back to shooting robits.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I chose to believe that it's a parody of fans making unofficial supports for edgy characters like FE7 Karel and Jaffar that are literally just "...". It dulls the sting that SOMEBODY CHANGED IT FROM THE JAPANESE SUPPORT, WHICH WAS THEM ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT HOW THEY'RE BOTH ASSASSINS.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

No, it was an idiotic joke someone at Treehouse thought was funny and replaced their actual C-rank conversation with.
Here's a rough fan translation of their actual C support:

C SUPPORT
Saizou: You’re…. The assassin from Nohr, Belka aren’t you.
Belka: …..did you want something? Hoshido’s shinobi…..Saizou.
S: Oh….? It seems that we already know one another’s names.
B: Yes…. The name Saizou of Hoshido is widely known in Nohr. The next king’s faithful retainer…. As well as an assassin of high ability.
S: Same here, from a young age to kill without hesitation, rumours of a little girl that was a ruthless murder weapon.
B: …I see. How many…. Have you killed?
S: What’s with that question….. you remember such things?
B: As an assassin counting is a daily routine in my job. But after I was taken in by Camilla…. I stopped counting. I don’t know if that’s good or bad for me… only that that had changed.
S: Is that so.
B: ….I’ve answered. So how about you?
S: I…. can never forget. Even if I don’t want to remember…. Even if I want to forget….. The faces and numbers of people that I’ve killed…. It’s been engraved clearly into my heart.
B: ……I see.
S: To have to join hands with an assassin from an enemy country like this must be fate. We both have Lords that we must protect….. Belka. Please take good care of me from here on out.
B: Yes.

It's even more dumb when you look at how their B conversation starts.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Junpei posted:

It dulls the sting that SOMEBODY CHANGED IT FROM THE JAPANESE SUPPORT, WHICH WAS THEM ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT HOW THEY'RE BOTH ASSASSINS.

Don't be ridiculous, Hoshido doesn't need assassins, they're pure and good and wholesome and Magic-anti-bad-thoughts barrier! :buddy:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

RareAcumen posted:

I always play these games on Casual (cuz that's all I am) so it's never been an issue for me.

Also, I don't know about you guys but when I replay a game that I regularly beat, I generally skip cutscenes again unless there's a funny or cool part that comes up somewhere. I've seen it already. I remember it, I just wanna get back to shooting robits.

I tried playing Fates on Classic, but honestly battle save is something that should just be in Fire Emblem. Having to restart a map because of one error is the pits. I'd even be fine with checkpoints, like how FE12 did it (I can't remember if FE11 did the same thing).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

BlackPersona posted:

Don't be ridiculous, Hoshido doesn't need assassins, they're pure and good and wholesome and Magic-anti-bad-thoughts barrier! :buddy:

...when you put it that way, it makes them sound either incredibly creepy or like total Mary Sues/Marty Stus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

There's obviously no getting through to you. I'm not sure why I'm bothering...

Look, Fates' plot is abominable BY FIRE EMBLEM STANDARDS. I'VE written better plots than this, and I stopped writing specifically because I had a bad habit of using overpowered characters and nonsensical plot points! Never before have I felt the need to skip all the scenes in a Fire Emblem game ON MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH. Some of the supports in Awakening? Yes, because I hated some of the characters (Sumia, Cynthia, and Inigo foremost among them), though I eventually made myself go back through and read them despite that. However, when the skipped scenes in my first run outnumber the watched ones, I feel little to no urge to continue.

Also: "Good casts" does NOT include Fates. Not only do I hate the plot, but I have trouble bringing myself to give a drat about the characters as well (the characters I can tolerate are a distinct minority in this game, and Corrin, due to their sheer stupidity combined with the plot bending over backwards to accommodate and enable that stupidity, is not one of them- which makes it even worse because that's who you play as), and frankly the gameplay is not different enough from Awakening (never mind "improved") to make up for these deficits; the most prominent difference is the excessive, gratuitous use of arbitrary, one-off gimmicks, of which I'm pretty sure I have already stated my opinion.

On a related note: None of the characters brought back from Awakening (both the ones who are literally the same character and the ones who're basically interchangeable with the originals) are characters I liked; at least they skipped both of my most-hated characters, but "we brought back a bunch of characters you hate and dumbed them down so they're EVEN WORSE THAN YOU REMEMBER" is not exactly a good thing in my book.

Excuse me? Awakening may have been largely COMPOSED of gimmick-less maps, but it wasn't EXCLUSIVELY so. I mean, one map literally makes you fight copies of your team (and is thus literally impossible to beat just by getting higher stats)- how is that NOT a gimmick? And featureless? I don't think you looked at the same maps I did; they may have been primarily composed of plains, but that's largely because any OTHER terrain is an exercise in frustration.

Besides, "gimmick" can include things like "if you don't protect this unarmed VIP unit you lose." Awakening at least had a couple of those.

"Perfectly fine shticks" you say? I'd say you're outvoted on this one- everyone else in this thread calls it bullshit, from what I've seen. I'm starting to think your definition of "good game" is based solely on masochism; I, for one, hate it when victory requires obtuse, counterintuitive actions (as nearly every Conquest map does) almost as much as I hate it when success has nothing to do with what I do (or worse, is completely impossible).

That "conversation" (to be generous with my descriptions) is already finished; just let it go already. Nobody likes a guy who refuses to let a topic drop (and yes, I am fully aware of how hypocritical this is for me to say; however, you're bringing back a topic I already agreed to drop, so I feel at least somewhat justified despite my hypocrisy).

In closing: Until this post, I hadn't quite realized how much I loathe Fates. This won't stop me from following this LP, largely because I at least want to see the ending for vicarious catharsis (of the "at least it's over" variety; pretty sure there's no other catharsis possible with this game beyond "line both the cast and the writers up and slaughter them with my own hands"), but I can't say it won't stop me from finishing it myself.

Strike one: The plot is insufferably stupid, regardless of the standard you use to judge it. Strike two: The characters are forgettable at best. Strike three: Conquest's gimmicks are poorly-executed, often nonsensical, never foreshadowed or adequately explained, and pretty much invariably detrimental to the game itself. Conclusion: Fates is a horrible game and nobody should play it.

jesus christ dude get a hobby

this post is so bad that it made me like fates more just to spite you

edit: also i guarantee you haven't written better plots than this going by your writing in your posts

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Lord Koth posted:

No, it was an idiotic joke someone at Treehouse thought was funny and replaced their actual C-rank conversation with.
Here's a rough fan translation of their actual C support:

C SUPPORT
Saizou: You’re…. The assassin from Nohr, Belka aren’t you.
Belka: …..did you want something? Hoshido’s shinobi…..Saizou.
S: Oh….? It seems that we already know one another’s names.
B: Yes…. The name Saizou of Hoshido is widely known in Nohr. The next king’s faithful retainer…. As well as an assassin of high ability.
S: Same here, from a young age to kill without hesitation, rumours of a little girl that was a ruthless murder weapon.
B: …I see. How many…. Have you killed?
S: What’s with that question….. you remember such things?
B: As an assassin counting is a daily routine in my job. But after I was taken in by Camilla…. I stopped counting. I don’t know if that’s good or bad for me… only that that had changed.
S: Is that so.
B: ….I’ve answered. So how about you?
S: I…. can never forget. Even if I don’t want to remember…. Even if I want to forget….. The faces and numbers of people that I’ve killed…. It’s been engraved clearly into my heart.
B: ……I see.
S: To have to join hands with an assassin from an enemy country like this must be fate. We both have Lords that we must protect….. Belka. Please take good care of me from here on out.
B: Yes.

It's even more dumb when you look at how their B conversation starts.

But they totally get all of that across with just their ellipses :j:!

Joking aside, they are getting something across, even with no words, since their facial expressions change with each line they ... say? make?, suggesting that they are reacting to each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue with that support being changed into that in localization is that the beruka/benny support is literally that exact same gag, so now it's just redundant

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wait, what? :psyduck:

I heard Treehouse took it upon themselves to "fix" some things in people's backgrounds that they didn't like, but I'm not sure why this one was replaced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

I heard Treehouse took it upon themselves to "fix" some things in people's backgrounds that they didn't like, but I'm not sure why this one was replaced.

there's tons of random changes like that strewn across fates, often haphazardly. It's just a really bad translation. Say what you will about the changes to, say, Gregor in awakening, at least they're consistent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

I tried playing Fates on Classic, but honestly battle save is something that should just be in Fire Emblem. Having to restart a map because of one error is the pits. I'd even be fine with checkpoints, like how FE12 did it (I can't remember if FE11 did the same thing).

Yes, for levels this big, in-map saves should always be there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RareAcumen posted:

Yes, for levels this big, in-map saves should always be there.

Or Mila's Turnwheel. drat, is that one of the most amazing things to come out of Echoes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should have done the thing tearring saga does where there's a limited use staff that lets you save mid-battle

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I've heard a theory that since the C support heavily implies/almost explicitly mentions that both Saizo and Beruka were child soldiers/assassins, the ESRB lost its mind and thus the change happened. It seems that apparently the ESRB objects to explicit or heavily implied mentions to child soliders, but is fine with the subject never being brought up on screen (See: the Halo series and how the Spartans were kidnapped as children and turned into child soldiers, but since most of that is mentioned in side material it gets a pass from the ESRB). It would make sense since the B support is unchanged, meaning the ESRB only saw the C support part.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

AradoBalanga posted:

I've heard a theory that since the C support heavily implies/almost explicitly mentions that both Saizo and Beruka were child soldiers/assassins, the ESRB lost its mind and thus the change happened. It seems that apparently the ESRB objects to explicit or heavily implied mentions to child soliders, but is fine with the subject never being brought up on screen (See: the Halo series and how the Spartans were kidnapped as children and turned into child soldiers, but since most of that is mentioned in side material it gets a pass from the ESRB). It would make sense since the B support is unchanged, meaning the ESRB only saw the C support part.

Well it's just a theory, so there's no real proof of this. Either way, if they were gonna change that, they should have cleaned up that minor loose end left behind in their B support.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

this didn't happen

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Tae posted:

Vote's over. Camilla and Takumi are the fill-ins.

game redeemed imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

they should have done the thing tearring saga does where there's a limited use staff that lets you save mid-battle

No that one's bad, don't do that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rangpur posted:

game redeemed imo

quote:

Benny: ...
Beruka: ...
Benny: Oh. There goes the bird.
Beruka: Yeah. So long, bird.
Benny: Beruka, will you marry me?

like i said, the benny/beruka support has the exact same gag but executed better

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I missed that part

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
also i don't get why it's beruka and not veruca

EDIT: this thread is making me consider doing a tears to tiara 2 LP, which has me worried because I got about three missions in before I started involuntarily yelling at the cast to shut up

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 30, 2017

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

edit: also i guarantee you haven't written better plots than this going by your writing in your posts

Actually, I'm pretty sure I have, though I don't particularly blame you for being skeptical. However, it may have been more of a fluke than anything, and I at least recognize that I'm a bad writer (and thus don't inflict my works on the world anymore). Honestly, at this point I'm pretty ashamed of my writing, so I'm not going to prove its relative quality one way or the other. Feel free to assume that I'm lying or mistaken; won't hurt me any.

Also: I've also decided to (at least try to) ignore the other repeat-offenders, since singling Revolver out won't fix the problem. Just keep my advice (live and let live, basically) in mind, and things'll hopefully actually get bearable around here instead of the current toxicity (which is approaching "scour all life from the planet" levels).

Seyser Koze posted:

Literal transliteration, because :effort:.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh hey! Camilla and co. joined up earlier than I thought they would on this route, that's neat. Maybe Beruka will gain some strength and speed on this run, she certainly didn't perform as well as I thought she would on the previous run.

Every map we get into Revelations is just a new layer of... questionable design decisions. Some of these I can chalk up to rushed deadlines, but my inner desire to defend a series I really enjoy is certainly getting worn away by some of these maps.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 30, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Seyser Koze posted:

You want her to be named a wart?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Or "vivacious and strong-willed" according to babynamewizard.com.

:biotruths:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
As usual in Fire Emblem, character names can change fairly significantly in translation in order to try and communicate an idea better.

My personal Fates favourite is 'Zero' becoming 'Niles', as in 'nihil'.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ungulateman posted:

As usual in Fire Emblem, character names can change fairly significantly in translation in order to try and communicate an idea better.

Wait, I thought it was supposed to be 'Niles' as in 'Nil'.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

ungulateman posted:

But again. "Beruka."

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Junpei posted:

Wait, I thought it was supposed to be 'Niles' as in 'Nil'.

Nihil fits with his personality, and Nil means the same as Zero. Both work.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

But again. "Beruka."
Her original name is spelled "ベルカ", and Beruka is a plausible translation, albeit a very literal translation.

Also there's apparently this:

Fire Emblem Wiki posted:

Beruka is a derivative of the name Beronica (the origin of the name Veronica), a name of Old Greek origin from φέρειν (phérein) "to bring", and νίκη, níkê, "victory", meaning "bearer of victory" or more literally "she who brings victory", possibly alluding to the fact that she completes most if not all her assignments/jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

Her original name is spelled "ベルカ", and Beruka is a plausible translation, albeit a very literal translation.

Also there's apparently this:
what the poo poo

• Locked thread