Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

All right guy who liked FO3, thanks for your input.

which fetch quest between two places named after cornish gibberish did you like best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BvS and FO3 (pre dlc) both have the same irredeemable flaw.

They have nonsensical Pyrrhic victories. In both the movie and the game there is obviously someone who is immune to the hazard but still capable of taking the correct action to finish the plot. In BvS it's DC Best Character Wonder Woman, in FO3 it's the Super Mutant Fawkes. Both of these characters are immune to the hazard that will kill the 'main character', allowing them to harmlessly spear Doomsday with the kryptonite lance/go into the radiation chamber to turn on the water filter.

There, I said it, that's one of the many reasons why I hate BvS and FO3, but it's specifically one they both had in common on release.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kwyndig posted:

They have nonsensical Pyrrhic victories. In both the movie and the game there is obviously someone who is immune to the hazard but still capable of taking the correct action to finish the plot. In BvS it's DC Best Character Wonder Woman, in FO3 it's the Super Mutant Fawkes. Both of these characters are immune to the hazard that will kill the 'main character', allowing them to harmlessly spear Doomsday with the kryptonite lance/go into the radiation chamber to turn on the water filter.

There, I said it, that's one of the many reasons why I hate BvS and FO3, but it's specifically one they both had in common on release.

Except that complaint is completely nonsensical in the context of BvS. The only reason Superman is able to get to Doomsday with the spear at all is because Wonder Woman's holding him down with her lasso; Doomsday's growing stronger by the instant, and they don't really have time to communicate a plan.

Compared to Fo3 where they monologue about heroic sacrifice in front of the person who wouldn't have to sacrifice anything.

e: not to mention that's it's not even the Kryptonite spear that kills Superman, it's being impaled through the heart by a spiky mutant space monster, which presumably would have killed Diana too. It's like people didn't even watch the movie.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 30, 2017

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Only a god can kill a god.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

inklesspen posted:

Only a god can kill a god.

There's a separate line of thinking here which is "realism is a garbage way to assess mythic stories" but first things first.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Look, if you wanna talk about the logical result of superpunchdudes getting punched, you have to go by the established yet bizarre constraints on superpunchdudes. Otherwise we are here all day trying to establish why the gently caress a chunk of a dead planet can hurt the dude who was born on that planet, and also how it even survived atmospheric re-entry.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

inklesspen posted:

Look, if you wanna talk about the logical result of superpunchdudes getting punched, you have to go by the established yet bizarre constraints on superpunchdudes. Otherwise we are here all day trying to establish why the gently caress a chunk of a dead planet can hurt the dude who was born on that planet, and also how it even survived atmospheric re-entry.

A wizard did it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

inklesspen posted:

Well, that's precisely what I mean, though. Setting aside BvS for a second and just looking at Superman generally, Kryptonite hurts him because Krypton was arrogant, complacent, and self-destructive. Superman's hurt by a chunk of his own home planet because his heritage is, thematically, a weakness; it's his humanity that makes him good.

"How can you be poisoned by a piece of where you were born" is a logical problem that any given handwavey solution will do for. It doesn't really matter.

Or more succinctly:

canyoneer posted:

A wizard did it

Serf
May 5, 2011

they should have given wonder woman the spear lol

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I can't figure out which cuil level we're on right now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You'd think a forum so enamored of storygames and contemptuous of rules-as-physics would be able to understand these principles by analogy. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm gonna go out and say that Superman's sacrifice was the least of problems with Zack Snyder's Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kwyndig posted:

Wonder Woman was not immune to being stabbed through the heart.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Superman is a versatile character that can support many different interpretations, and Zack Snyder's version has merit, although it differs from what one expects.

Dawn of Justice was going great up to the scene where Lex Luthor blackmailed him, but after that it abruptly turned into a different, dumber movie, only to change back for the climax of the big fight, where Superman stabs himself in order to atone for, and vanquish the living embodiment of, the time he took a life.

My biggest problem with it was that they had an imperfect clone of a Kryptonian going around, but they decided to make it a mute and name it Doomsday, instead of adapting Bizarro.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bongo Bill posted:

Superman is a versatile character that can support many different interpretations, and Zack Snyder's version has merit, although it differs from what one expects.

Dawn of Justice was going great up to the scene where Lex Luthor blackmailed him, but after that it abruptly turned into a different, dumber movie, only to change back for the climax of the big fight, where Superman stabs himself in order to atone for, and vanquish the living embodiment of, the time he took a life.

My biggest problem with it was that they had an imperfect clone of a Kryptonian going around, but they decided to make it a mute and name it Doomsday, instead of adapting Bizarro.

No one would ever take seriously a movie where Bizarro killed Superman.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

as opposed to the movie we got

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Fallout 3 had fun and goofy sidequests compared to a lot of New Vegas, while New Vegas had better systems, better DLC, and a definitively better core storyline. What really matters, though, is that they both have pretty great mods the other doesn't, and so they're both worth a whirl to try out stuff like Sidney Follower (FO3) or New Vegas Bounties (NV).

So many nerds worked so hard to make those games better, it's pretty amazing when you can get a fully frankensteined version of either game going.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Either game, hell, get Tale of Two Wastelands and you can play through FO3 in New Vegas.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pope Guilty posted:

Either game, hell, get Tale of Two Wastelands and you can play through FO3 in New Vegas.

This is the correct answer to replaying either game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You know, I love that these people have the technical competencies and willingness to do projects of such enormous scale, and I am 100% behind any amount of effort put into any non-sexy/furry/anime mods, but merging Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas strikes me as sort of like using the AD&D 2nd Edition -> D&D 3rd Edition character converter so you can play the same character simultaneously in two campaigns and keep it updated in both. Like, O.K., you can do that, but why is it that important to do both at once?

Seamless integration into the thread topic

I suppose I have accepted "because it is cool" as sufficient reason many times before, so that works here too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Speaking for myself, the one nice thing Fallout 3 has going for it is that there's a ton of vertical environments and urban ruins that New Vegas (mostly) lacks, which gives it a very different feel from vanilla New Vegas. In the one TTW run I did, I used a bunch of environment mods to turn DC into a nuclear winterized wasteland, gave the Super Mutants their NV stats, and enjoyed a very desperate, cold-feeling game, almost like an open-world Metro. It was a really neat experience, and I remember it fondly.

What I remember less fondly, though, is Fallout 3's writing. Christ, whoever wrote most of the dialogue in that game should have their keyboards taken away permanently.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cease to Hope posted:

as opposed to the movie we got

:thejoke:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

we were so close to slim goodbody's script idea where a crying superman snaps bizarro's neck AGAIN. SNyder is doing this on purpose.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Post-apocalyptic DC was always strange to me. Like the brown wasteland made sense for other post-apoc games like Wasteland and the older Fallouts because they were set in the southwest that would naturally be brown desert, but surely DC would revert to an overgrown swampy wilderness instead? Also they should do a Fallout in the pacific northwest or along the rockies or something. It'd pretty much be Skyrim and Bethesda loves Skyrim.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 2, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm still holding out for Fallout Florida where you're speeding through irradiated swamp land in a nuclear powered airboat being chased by giant mutant alligators while looking for old NASA technology to piece together so you can escape to space.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That would be great, or trawling through Louisiana's bayous fighting off crawfishmen!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, there was Fallout 3 DLC that was swamp based. It was just also garbage.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair, there was Fallout 3 DLC that was swamp based. It was just also garbage.

Point Lookout had NPCs named "smuggler".

What the gently caress is so bad that in a setting with no governments you still have to smuggle it?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm still holding out for Fallout Florida where you're speeding through irradiated swamp land in a nuclear powered airboat being chased by giant mutant alligators while looking for old NASA technology to piece together so you can escape to space.

There was already a Wasteland-inspired post-apocalyptic Florida game. It was not very good.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

I could not tell you how or why, but this game has always bizarrely fascinated me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

neongrey posted:

I could not tell you how or why, but this game has always bizarrely fascinated me.

Did you play it? I remember a lot of voodoo references and finding that I was maybe underleveled for the game's final stretch, since I could only kill all the ridiculous killer clowns by going full auto with some gun or ammo that was pretty rare . . . and otherwise not liking it nearly as much as I had Wasteland.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

8one6 posted:

Point Lookout had NPCs named "smuggler".

What the gently caress is so bad that in a setting with no governments you still have to smuggle it?

Point Lookout was closer to Boston, and it was implied that the authorities they were avoiding were the Institute.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

homullus posted:

Did you play it? I remember a lot of voodoo references and finding that I was maybe underleveled for the game's final stretch, since I could only kill all the ridiculous killer clowns by going full auto with some gun or ammo that was pretty rare . . . and otherwise not liking it nearly as much as I had Wasteland.

God no, which makes the fascination even more inexplicable. I read an LP a few years back.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Dr. Quarex posted:

You know, I love that these people have the technical competencies and willingness to do projects of such enormous scale, and I am 100% behind any amount of effort put into any non-sexy/furry/anime mods, but merging Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas strikes me as sort of like using the AD&D 2nd Edition -> D&D 3rd Edition character converter so you can play the same character simultaneously in two campaigns and keep it updated in both. Like, O.K., you can do that, but why is it that important to do both at once?

Seamless integration into the thread topic

I suppose I have accepted "because it is cool" as sufficient reason many times before, so that works here too.

It makes Fallout 3 use the NV mechanics and balance changes, so it's more like using Planescape to travel between the 2e Realms and the 3e Realms and the whole thing is using the 3e rules.

Also Henry Eden is Krasus.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

neongrey posted:

God no, which makes the fascination even more inexplicable. I read an LP a few years back.
Honestly it is a better game than anyone seems to give it credit for; other than being quite obviously inspired by weird sources like Killer Klowns From Outer Space (itself a much better movie than makes any sense considering), it does have a lot of what you would hope for from a Wasteland quasi-sequel set in an entirely different environment. I seriously doubt any other RPG of the era was predominantly populated with non-white NPCs and addressed (even if unsurprisingly poorly) things like Obeah and banana-republic-style rum plantation issues ... but, you know, of course, it also had killer clowns and you could mutate to grow a third arm or whatever and ...

...it is also unnecessarily and terribly hard, such that even as an (obvious) Wasteland expert like me had to lean heavily on things like rebooting if a fight went poorly (as it also used Wasteland's auto-saving-if-basically-anything-happened-to-your-party techniques). When a game sees you jumped by huge groups of people with automatic weapons while you were still mostly carrying machetes then you kind of get the picture early on that it is out to get you.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

It makes Fallout 3 use the NV mechanics and balance changes, so it's more like using Planescape to travel between the 2e Realms and the 3e Realms and the whole thing is using the 3e rules.
You know, that does sound kind of interesting now that I understand how they handled the mechanical issues. Though the lack of factions in Fallout 3 (I assume) would still make that part pretty weird. But, minor issue, clearly.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

ManMythLegend posted:

My dream Fallout, prior to Fallout 4's announcement and release, was that they'd do a Florida based game where the central heart of the game, New Vegas style, would literally be post-apocalyptic Disney World. Then they released Fallout 4 and I saw that we're never going to get anything that big and open ever again so at this point I'd rather see them do Fallout PNW just cause I live there and it would be fun seeing the Grand Coulee Dam being five minutes walk from the Space Needle.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I was always hoping New Vegas would get more into Utah, being the dirty Salt Lake Cityite I am. It was alluded to a whole bunch, and I think the Followers of the Apocalypse are based there, but seeing it would be rad. I think Honest Hearts was based partially in Zion, but still. I want to see that post-nuclear temple.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nuns with Guns posted:

Post-apocalyptic DC was always strange to me. Like the brown wasteland made sense for other post-apoc games like Wasteland and the older Fallouts because they were set in the southwest that would naturally be brown desert, but surely DC would revert to an overgrown swampy wilderness instead? Also they should do a Fallout in the pacific northwest or along the rockies or something. It'd pretty much be Skyrim and Bethesda loves Skyrim.

Yeah, then look at Boston. North Atlantic coast, ocean's still right there no matter how much you nuke it, but here we are with 200+ year old dessicated skeletons posed everywhere and half-naked settlers in rags because Bethesda can't give up the 'everything is the mojave' desert aesthetic.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

inklesspen posted:

I can't figure out which cuil level we're on right now.

We're on about 0.472 cineDs right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nuns with Guns posted:

That would be great, or trawling through Louisiana's bayous fighting off crawfishmen!

Mutant rougarou rise to prominence, replacing super mutants.

• Locked thread