Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Levitate posted:

supposedly Pavelec isn't that bad if you "adjust for shot quality" but those statemnts make me nervous

He's awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I hate to burst your bubble JAS but it clearly is gonna be Bergevin passing on Markov and dumping tons of money in Alzner's lap instead.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i completely forgot about it but mike stone re-signing before july 1 means the yotes get a 5th round pick from calgary

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The contract deals for Anders Nilsson signing with the Canucks and Brian Elliott signing with the Flyers have leaked. Guess who's getting paid more? Hint: it's not the better player.

Nilson 2 years $3m per, Elliott 2 years $2.5m per.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They're both pretty mediocre.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jordan7hm posted:

that seems pretty good

are you getting michael stone and mark stone mixed up

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Jets are apparently signing Steve Mason tomorrow and I'm cool with that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

are you getting michael stone and mark stone mixed up

Michael Stone is a fine 4/5 and we live in a world where this

is a thing.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/880918325743804416

youre going after the wrong ex-oiler coach!!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/880918906659012610

Nelson is the right choice, Eakins is the wrong choice.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Karl Alzner is one of the nicest guys in the world and I hope he gets a huge amount of money but that is bananas.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Lmao at Nolan Patrick getting surgery again.

Is this guy made out of the same material as stamkos' legs?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is it possible Eakins just had his brain temporarily broken by being in Edmonton? Wasn't he highly touted as being good with the youngs when he was still with the Marlies? Maybe another chance is in order...

Oh, right, the swarm. Nvm

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hello Emelin 2.0 :suicide:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

Is it possible Eakins just had his brain temporarily broken by being in Edmonton? Wasn't he highly touted as being good with the youngs when he was still with the Marlies? Maybe another chance is in order...

Oh, right, the swarm. Nvm

He was so loving bad but he also pissed all the old man poo poo reporters when he took their donuts away so

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He was so loving bad but he also pissed all the old man poo poo reporters when he took their donuts away so

Him putting down celery instead of cookies is like the only thing I remember about him.

Well that and his swarm ending up as This Guy Scored: The System.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Are the Canucks really paying Anders Nilsson $3M per??

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mike_V posted:

Are the Canucks really paying Anders Nilsson $3M per??

Jim Benning does many things poorly, including contract negotiation.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If Pavlec comes in at a million or under then idgaf.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Apparently Vancouver re-signed Rodin for 1 year at 700k which I think is a pretty good move considering what he did in the SHL and how he looked in the pre-season last year. He's certainly worth a low money shot anyways - especially as no one knows what he can do if he's healthy.

They are also apparently looking to sign Sam Gagner which I don't know how I feel about.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Wippersnapper posted:

Apparently Vancouver re-signed Rodin for 1 year at 700k which I think is a pretty good move considering what he did in the SHL and how he looked in the pre-season last year. He's certainly worth a low money shot anyways - especially as no one knows what he can do if he's healthy.

They are also apparently looking to sign Sam Gagner which I don't know how I feel about.

they're also looking into burmistrov

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Wippersnapper posted:

In addition to Gagner and Del Zotto, they're also looking at Burmistrov:
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/880939507851431936

Not really sure what the end goal is for Jim Benning with these signings, given that they're supposed to be rebuilding.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
I don't care who your goalie coach is, Pavelec isn't going to improve at this stage, he flops around inside his own crease so much that he has collected a reel of highlight saves, but so many flubbed or soft goals let in that his reputation is surely earned

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kilza posted:

Not really sure what the end goal is for Jim Benning with these signings, given that they're supposed to be rebuilding.
I could see them as cheap, relatively high upside guys that you could sell at the deadline if they have a nice season. I also doubt that they're the level of player that's really going to prevent Vancouver from bottoming out.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

Yes please and thank you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jim Benning is due for something really, really stupid any day now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So long as they're all short one or two year deals. I don't care. None of their prospects are ready for full time NHL action and jamming them into the lineup will lead to more Virtanen/McCann rush jobs. Inexpensive short term UFAs that can be moved at the deadline for picks and prospects are what this team needs. They are in a sorry sorry state.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Kilza posted:

Jim Benning does not believe he is in a rebuild

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I could see them as cheap, relatively high upside guys that you could sell at the deadline if they have a nice season. I also doubt that they're the level of player that's really going to prevent Vancouver from bottoming out.

That would be a smart move, and not at all what benning intends

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

TeamJesus posted:

Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

Yes please and thank you.

Michael Stone sucks and Hamonic was so so last year. I know nothing about Kulak other than why didn't Vegas pick him over Deryk "Vegas Baby" Engelland who is by far the worst player they picked in the expansion draft.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I can't believe Pavelec is getting another shot.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

I can't believe Pavelec is getting another shot.

Well all the other good backups either re-signed or are apparently getting a buttload of money

e: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/880944802443014145

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 1, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

am i crazy or wasn't mdz already a canuck a couple seasons ago? buried in utica?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought Nilson wasn't that bad? PITB suggested signing him here

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/with-ryan-miller-leaving-canucks-need-a-plan-b-and-c-in-net-1.20812323

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Nilsson is good and probably the best goalie available.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Technetium posted:

Nilsson is good and probably the best goalie available.

He is, though I think CAS may be conditioned to assume that everything Jim Benning does is stupid (let's be fair, it's generally been true)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

grack posted:

He is, though I think CAS may be conditioned to assume that everything Jim Benning does is stupid (let's be fair, it's generally been true)

I don't dislike it, but given the rumors of what Miller is going for for one year, would have preferred him. Unless Nilsson is some kind of 'oops, turns out Markstrom is actually terrible - what now?' insurance.

Also, went and looked at the nucks capfriendly page and remembered this:

hahaha gently caress you benning, you rear end

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think burmistrov would be a good pickup for any team for 3-4MM but the canucks are a strange destination because they're reasonably deep at center. sedin/horvat/sutter/granlund maybe? burmistrov's better than sutter and worse than horvat, but the canucks are stuck with everyone except whoever is on the 4th line. from a on-ice perspective, burmistrov might be the best shot at putting up a h. sedin impression on the second powerplay though

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

JawKnee posted:

I don't dislike it, but given the rumors of what Miller is going for for one year, would have preferred him. Unless Nilsson is some kind of 'oops, turns out Markstrom is actually terrible - what now?' insurance.

Also, went and looked at the nucks capfriendly page and remembered this:

hahaha gently caress you benning, you rear end

Now THAT'S a core you can build around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hifi posted:

I think burmistrov would be a good pickup for any team for 3-4MM but the canucks are a strange destination because they're reasonably deep at center. sedin/horvat/sutter/granlund maybe? burmistrov's better than sutter and worse than horvat, but the canucks are stuck with everyone except whoever is on the 4th line. from a on-ice perspective, burmistrov might be the best shot at putting up a h. sedin impression on the second powerplay though

Burmistrov was a waiver pickup 6 months ago. Why in Gods name would anyone pay 3M for him. Because he had an ok 25 games with the Coyotes? That would be a terrible signing.

• Locked thread