Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

C3PO. Going off the idea that droids have consciousness in these movies (or at least you can say that the argument is put forth through the subtext), you witness the creation of a robot who has been shown to be completely subservient throughout the previous movies, but here you find out why was because he was made out of the idea of love and compassion. Anakin built him out of the love for his mother and 3PO responded to that.

In contrast, the droid army is shown being produced on a massive scale, yet when shown moments down at the individual troop level... you find out that they too have independent personalities and distinctions. They may all have the same directive, but they act much like everyday infantrymen and find solidarity amongst their brethren, much like 3PO finds in his brother, Anakin.

The reason why they lose is because they weren't created out of love. They lose to an army collated on the strength of a leader who was once kicked out of his clan for being the village baffoon but ultimately unite for love of their brother.

The droid army leaders do not care about the droid soldiers so why should the soldiers care about the war they're fighting? They don't, but are compelled by their directive to fight anyways, so in the end they're joking while marching to their deaths like lemmings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yaws posted:

Kudos to Lucas for permanently tarnishing his reputation for his artistic vision.

this but unironically

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

pictured: a children's movie

See, this is just asinine because I already acknowledged this.

Zoran posted:

The point of the battle droids is that they are literal slaves who palpably have their own independent thoughts and feelings (they're people) but are viewed as expendable subhumans by everyone in the story. They are a mirror to the slave boy turned hero in The Phantom Menace (he's a person and his name is Anakin!), who saves the day by activating the battle droids' embedded remote kill chip.

Wonderfully deep, but they really are goofy army men that get mowed down.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Actually, art does have meaning deriving from its contents.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

haha ok

PG13 children's movie guy. Run with that.

Aren't like half if the Harry Potter movies PG-13? Harry Potter is meant for chidren. Lucas has always been insistent that Star Wars is for children. That's not necessarily the same thing as a children's movie though, and even if there is saying something is made for children doesn't have to be a criticism.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Judakel posted:

I reject everything you put forth. The originals are nowhere near as childish as the prequels. Simple, but nowhere near as self-conscious silly. *Jar Jar burns tongue* ouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vcmodGAOk4

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Judakel posted:

Also correct! One of the convenient features of droids as enemies in the movies is that it's socially permissible to show a bunch of robots getting chopped to bits. With human enemies, showing the Jedi in combat in their prime would have involved a hell of a lot more gore. The fight on Jabba's sail barge looks a little silly because Lucas couldn't show Luke cutting dozens of men in half.

There is dismemberment in every movie, of course, but it's reserved for impactful moments and we never see piles of loose limbs strewn everywhere.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

It still doesn't stack up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

pictured: a children's movie

Kids love this

(except when they've watched the clone wars propaganda series that paints Anakin as a hero who they love)

It's the constant sexual imagery of the films that makes them not-entirely for kids.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

post some star wars sexual imagery

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

sassassin posted:

Kids love this

(except when they've watched the clone wars propaganda series that paints Anakin as a hero who they love)

It's the constant sexual imagery of the films that makes them not-entirely for kids.

America.txt

"Extreme violence, good!

Tits, evil!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

well why not posted:

Keep in mind that George Lucas designed this outfit himself. He let costume designers do the rest of Padme's clothes, but this one outfit was all him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't have the time to find it, but that whole post detailing the Attack of the Clones gladiator fight.

And Return of the Jedi features the biggest vagina in film history.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't really get why people don't like the Battle Droids, some of the heroes are snarky and quippy during battle, why can't the droids? If the droids were an army of Harrison Fords and nothing else was changed about them, everyone would love them.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

well why not posted:

How about when a bikini-clad slave Leia BDSM's Jabba to death?

And FYI apparently Kathleen Kennedy thinks the whole slave Leia thing was a mistake and said in some interview that she didn't think George would have included it if he had made the movie today. Then the writer of the article contacted Lucas's wife Mellody Hobson and told her what Kennedy said, and Hobson was basically like "LOL no George would totally have done it today."

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 29, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

well why not posted:

Lol. Have you read this thread?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Judakel posted:

They're not emotionally invested in the fight so they regress into the mentality of kids playing Call of Duty.

It's also implied that the droid army is immortal, like the robots in the HBO show, Westworld, with their sentience backed up in a cloud type storage situation (the space station Anakin blows up).

When you're immortal, why take life so seriously when you're just going to redownload yourself into a new body?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Beeez posted:

I don't really get why people don't like the Battle Droids, some of the heroes are snarky and quippy during battle, why can't the droids? If the droids were an army of Harrison Fords and nothing else was changed about them, everyone would love them.

like a lot of aspects of the prequels they replace the 'cool and badass' aspect of the ot's fascist antagonists with something more laughable and sad

despite the films constantly showing stormtroopers as terrible shots and idiots irl people still like to dress up as them because they have a cool design, and droids are just stormtroopers without that cool

Serf
May 5, 2011

Battle droids are better than stormtroopers.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Battle droids are better than stormtroopers.

i agree but it's easy to see why other people wouldn't

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Well to be fair, the only time the Storm Troopers aren't losing on purpose is in episode six. In episode four and on Bespin in episode five, they're just trying to guide their enemies to a certain place so that Vader can spring a trap. The Empire seeming cool and powerful makes sense, because the Dark Side is supposed to be alluring, and indeed many fascist movements and regimes in the real world try to play up the "we're awesome and strong" factor to recruit people.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Can we just take a moment to appreciate this mesmerizing match cut:

Beeez posted:

Well to be fair, the only time the Storm Troopers aren't losing on purpose is in episode six. In episode four and on Bespin in episode five, they're just trying to guide their enemies to a certain place so that Vader can spring a trap. The Empire seeming cool and powerful makes sense, because the Dark Side is supposed to be alluring, and indeed many fascist movements and regimes in the real world try to play up the "we're awesome and strong" factor to recruit people.

Well, likewise, the battle droids are only cannon fodder when they're going up against "invincible" Jedi. Despite being treated as comically dim-witted mooks for the entire film previously, they still manage to be genuinely menacing when they're deployed en masse against the poor Gungans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaK6ZlicwZE&t=56s

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

Well . . . it is a good trick.

Also now I want a compilation of stormtrooper dialogue scenes where their lines are dubbed with battle droid voices.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Beeez posted:

I think my strongest objection to this is that the result is the public seeing the aesthetic strengths of fascism, but not the underlying worship of sadistic violence. Even Vader torturing Han is relatively sterile compared to the way Pan's Labyrinth depicts the gratuitous cruelty expected of fascists and the effects it has not only on its victims, but on the fascists themselves.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't think most people think of the Empire as having any ideological value, though. Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what your argument is, but I think trying to avoid portraying the aspects of bad things that would be alluring to people would just make it harder for people to see through that artifice in real life. It may not be in the vivid detail you would like, but showing the Empire destroying a planet full of people just to demonstrate their power is enough, I would think, to signal that the "coolness" of the Empire is indeed artifice.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cnut the Great posted:

That's pretty cool, never (consciously) noticed that before.

Battle droids are great, but their ROTS/Clone Wars voices are not. The deadpan they have in TPM and AOTC is funny in itself ("My legs aren't working, I must need maintenance"), giving them "wacky" voices just feels like gilding the lily.

Hodgepodge posted:

I think my strongest objection to this is that the result is the public seeing the aesthetic strengths of fascism, but not the underlying worship of sadistic violence. Even Vader torturing Han is relatively sterile compared to the way Pan's Labyrinth depicts the gratuitous cruelty expected of fascists and the effects it has not only on its victims, but on the fascists themselves.
I really liked that about Rogue One. I mean, it's not at the visceral level of something like PL, but moments like Krennic's awed fascination at the Death Star's attack intercut with the sheer scale of the destruction on the surface really sell the Empire as something horrifying, not just intimidating-cool.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The cool thing about the battle droids is that it lets the Jedi actually use their lightsabers to cut mofos up. Obi-Wan in particular seems to relish cutting up the battle droids up in sadistic ways. He could probably just decapitate them and be done with it but sometimes he loving cuts off all their limbs before finishing them off.

It owns.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is this the Star Wars thread 🤷‍♀️

Saw this hot wheels figurine deal on meh, over at 9:00 PM

https://meh.com/

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

Battle droids are great, but their ROTS/Clone Wars voices are not. The deadpan they have in TPM and AOTC is funny in itself ("My legs aren't working, I must need maintenance"), giving them "wacky" voices just feels like gilding the lily.

Got to disagree with this, although it took me a little while to come to this conclusion, but the battle droids in especially the Clone Wars are hilarious. I appreciate the deadpan, but they have way more personality later on. I really began to appreciate them after my 7-year-old niece began talking into box fans to get the droid voice going.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is this the Star Wars thread 🤷‍♀️

Saw this hot wheels figurine deal on meh, over at 9:00 PM

https://meh.com/

I was going to make a joke about there being two Partisan xwings when there was only one in R1 and it was just crashed into the ground as set dressing but then I saw the blurb and the picture of Spock playing with the Star Wars Toys

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

🤔

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

UmOk posted:

Lol. Have you read this thread?

Not doubting it's in there, but I feel like "constant" is a little bit of a stretch. It's not like it's Videodrome or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Star Wars: Post Sexual Imagery from Videodrome

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

please

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

well why not posted:

Not doubting it's in there, but I feel like "constant" is a little bit of a stretch. It's not like it's Videodrome or something.

ANH: Death Star and X-wings = sperm and egg.

Torpedos and exhaust port = Penis and vagina.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

UmOk posted:

ANH: Death Star and X-wings = sperm and egg.

Torpedos and exhaust port = Penis and vagina.

At that speed will you be able to pull out in time?
:gizz:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Got to disagree with this, although it took me a little while to come to this conclusion, but the battle droids in especially the Clone Wars are hilarious. I appreciate the deadpan, but they have way more personality later on. I really began to appreciate them after my 7-year-old niece began talking into box fans to get the droid voice going.

There was a cut subplot in Attack of the Clones where it's revealed during the arena battle that the battle droids are no longer dependent on a control ship to operate (there were going to be scenes intercut of Ki-Adi-Mundi storming a droid control ship in space with a team of Jedi and manually attempting to shut the droids down). I think the droids of TCW are kind of reflective of the idea that the battle droids have become more quirky and independent as a result. I think there's even a line in TCW where one of the battle droids is complaining about how dumb the older models are, while right behind him outside a window Jedi and clones are scaling the fortress he's in command of.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beeez posted:

I think it's because as consumers of science fiction media, we've been conditioned to see evil robots as cold, emotionless beings, so it's jarring to us when they have personalities. Other than a "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" in T1, do any of the evil Terminators show any emotional responses? But in Star Wars, all of them have these characteristics, so we shouldn't be surprised that the battles droids do. I believe that it's on Cloud City in Empire (though I may be think of the Death Star in SW), where C3PO encounters another protocol droid who seems to be telling 3PO to gently caress off in another language. (3PO: "Hello there." Other droid: Gibberish. 3PO: "How rude!")

Serf
May 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I think it's because as consumers of science fiction media, we've been conditioned to see evil robots as cold, emotionless beings, so it's jarring to us when they have personalities. Other than a "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" in T1, do any of the evil Terminators show any emotional responses? But in Star Wars, all of them have these characteristics, so we shouldn't be surprised that the battles droids do. I believe that it's on Cloud City in Empire (though I may be think of the Death Star in SW), where C3PO encounters another protocol droid who seems to be telling 3PO to gently caress off in another language. (3PO: "Hello there." Other droid: Gibberish. 3PO: "How rude!")

I think it's been firmly established that droids are not robots. Your point stands, it's just funny to see how nerds are incapable of understanding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Davros1 posted:

The T1000 is a sassy bitch.

• Locked thread