Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

got any sevens posted:

animal farm ends up being a good critique of capitalism at least
the very concept of money and debt corrupts everyone

The pigs reject the concept of debt by refusing to take cheques, or I guess they refuse to trust and bow to a system of obligation that they dont control.

Either way I don't think it's an attack on the money form that you suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I mean it's not like the two options you present are the only objectively true, possible motivations anyone could ever have for wanting to use their wealth to buy their kids a better future.

I don't disagree that people have used the nebulous "quality of education" to cover for racist impulses. I don't disagree that wealth and racism are an intersectional problem.

I don't think you have to be a secret racist to say "well poo poo, I just spent a significant amount of money to buy a house in a very expensive neighborhood because it had schools that were superior to other schools in the area, and now it looks like I might end up not getting what I expected to get because of events beyond my control". if you spent a bunch of money to buy a house in an exclusive neighborhood and then the city decided to repurpose a public building in that neighborhood to be a new prison, or repurposed a public space in that neighborhood to be a new landfill, you would probably still be upset about that, whether or not you were a secret racist.

I see it as more of a buyer-beware issue, with a guy who has a small amount of national notoriety and delusions of grandeur about what his wealth can buy him.

It's me, I'm the guy comparing black children coming to your kid's school with the city turning your local park into a landfill

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Crane Fist posted:

It's me, I'm the guy comparing black children coming to your kid's school with the city turning your local park into a landfill

suburban bougie types literally believe this, though it's usually more explicitly class-based (or both)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

suburban bougie types literally believe this, though it's usually more explicitly class-based (or both)

I just like that the dude in the space of two paragraphs the dude managed to "well, actually..." himself into claiming any school black kids go to is the same as a prison, inadvertently making a good point about how stupid and evil his argument is

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I mean it's not like the two options you present are the only objectively true, possible motivations anyone could ever have for wanting to use their wealth to buy their kids a better future.

I don't disagree that people have used the nebulous "quality of education" to cover for racist impulses. I don't disagree that wealth and racism are an intersectional problem.

I don't think you have to be a secret racist to say "well poo poo, I just spent a significant amount of money to buy a house in a very expensive neighborhood because it had schools that were superior to other schools in the area, and now it looks like I might end up not getting what I expected to get because of events beyond my control". if you spent a bunch of money to buy a house in an exclusive neighborhood and then the city decided to repurpose a public building in that neighborhood to be a new prison, or repurposed a public space in that neighborhood to be a new landfill, you would probably still be upset about that, whether or not you were a secret racist.

I see it as more of a buyer-beware issue, with a guy who has a small amount of national notoriety and delusions of grandeur about what his wealth can buy him.

Hey fun fact: Under performing kids - which I assume is your issue with having poor black kids show up - don't bring down high performers. High performers tend to perform well in any safe environment, and the secret to their success tends to be based in home exposure to language, stability and support. Its questionable how much added value schooling is for kids who were already ahead from their home environment. For kids going to elite schools its probably networking more than anything else. Meanwhile kids behind the curve greatly benefit from going to wealthier schools that can provide better access to educational resources, more one on one support, and role models in the form of their high performing peers. The only downside is the poorer kids getting poo poo on by the rich assholes, or even just being made to feel keenly aware of class differences with the rich nice kids. If you're a wealthy parent objecting to poor kids being in your school district you're either ignorant or a massive rear end in a top hat.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Samantha bee and her husband are two rich foreigners coming in and kicking kids out of school that were paid for by their parents for decades

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Freaking Crumbum posted:

"well poo poo, I just spent a significant amount of money to buy a house in a very expensive neighborhood because it had schools that were superior to other schools in the area, and now it looks like I might end up not getting what I expected to get because of events beyond my control".

In what way would they not "get what they expected," by having the schools integrate?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Terror Sweat posted:

Samantha bee and her husband are two rich foreigners coming in and kicking kids out of school that were paid for by their parents for decades

manhattan has worse wealth inequality than subsaharan african countries

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

manhattan has worse wealth inequality than subsaharan african countries

Where do you think Subsahara Africa's wealth goes?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

and it's so loving boring!!! why whenever the rich move somewhere nothing interesting happens with all the money.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MizPiz posted:

Where do you think Subsahara Africa's wealth goes?

these days i thought it was china

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
i'm pretty sure the samantha bee segregationist story is just leftist urban myth at this point

snopes says yer wrong http://www.snopes.com/samantha-bees-husband-school/

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LinYutang posted:

i'm pretty sure the samantha bee segregationist story is just leftist urban myth at this point

lmao

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In what way would they not "get what they expected," by having the schools integrate?

the standard white flight belief is that Disruptive Children will make it harder for kids to learn by selling drugs and starting fights

this of course has basically zero basis in fact, but the myth persists

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LinYutang posted:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LinYutang posted:

This articles doesn't seem to disprove any of the poo poo we've been saying about him? Like they're splitting hairs about how he didn't literally say "I, comedy joke man who's name I forget, want to keep the darkies away from my Aryan brood" therefore he's off the hook

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LinYutang posted:

oh they resolved it? I guess all the efforts of the segregationists aren't worth considering.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

remember when sam bee went to rikers and raved about how great it was not to have her phone on her

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

namesake posted:

The pigs reject the concept of debt by refusing to take cheques, or I guess they refuse to trust and bow to a system of obligation that they dont control.

Either way I don't think it's an attack on the money form that you suggest.

they still sell the horse to the glue factory to pay taxes, dont they? been 20 years since I read it

anyway
if trump is sauron then hildog is saruman, bernie is gandalf and dril is bombadil

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

remember when sam bee went to rikers and raved about how great it was not to have her phone on her

Haha what

Yeah my favourite bit about prison was not being able to talk to anyone, it's loving great

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Haha what

Yeah my favourite bit about prison was not being able to talk to anyone, it's loving great

get this: she said this while being interviewed by lena dunham

quote:

DUNHAM I tweeted something about the TV show Friends, and then everyone was like, "Nice timing. We just dropped a bomb." Do you feel like you could ever untether yourself from the news?

BEE It's funny. I went to Rikers [Island, New York City's main jail] a couple of weeks ago to shoot something that I think will be really good. It was a really interesting experience. But you're not allowed to take your phone in because you can't take glass or anything like that. So they took my phone, and they put it in a lockbox for eight hours. And I felt like I had gone on a Caribbean vacation. I emerged from Rikers, and everyone was like, "Your skin is shining." And it was because I've never been more relaxed. I felt so free just knowing that my phone was safe, but I wasn't allowed to see it or know what was happening in the world.

DUNHAM So Rikers became the most relaxing place you've been in months?

BEE It was the most free I've felt in months.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/samantha-bee-interviewed-by-lena-dunham-trump-trolls-comedys-fraught-new-normal-997061

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
maybe... the people in prison... are the most free of all???

It's like a dril tweet

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else I'd assume they were doing an irony but comedy central libs only seem to operate in either smug outrage or tedious quavering sincerity

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Crane Fist posted:

This articles doesn't seem to disprove any of the poo poo we've been saying about him? Like they're splitting hairs about how he didn't literally say "I, comedy joke man who's name I forget, want to keep the darkies away from my Aryan brood" therefore he's off the hook

Best I can tell "Sam Bee loves segregation" was a rumor floated by the alt right then managed to worm its way into the left because horseshoe theory is a thing

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Though I'm sure she's very unpleasant and sanctimonious and all

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
You can have your Hunger Games and Handmaiden's Tale, the Justin Timberlake film In Time is where I go for my sci-fi social commentary.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LinYutang posted:

Snopes is politically motivated trash now. Sad but true

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

got any sevens posted:

they still sell the horse to the glue factory to pay taxes, dont they? been 20 years since I read it

anyway
if trump is sauron then hildog is saruman, bernie is gandalf and dril is bombadil

george soros is wormtongue or is that too on-the-nose

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

anyway

they sell the horse to the glue factory to buy whiskey

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol I like how every lovely thing done by a liberal these days gets attributed to "alt-right rumors taking hold."

Sam Bee and her husband decided to go against school integration because they care more about maintaining their affluence than the learning opportunities available to poor kids of various races. They might not have fought integration because they literally hate black people, but when the result they want fucks them over all the same, who gives a poo poo? They deserve all the flak they get for being selfish pricks.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ScrubLeague posted:

You can have your Hunger Games and Handmaiden's Tale, the Justin Timberlake film In Time is where I go for my sci-fi social commentary.

best movie about patty hearst since cecil b demented

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

best movie about patty hearst since cecil b demented

It's also the best movie that "celebrates movies"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sam Bees show is good on the investigation pieces but Sam herself is such a smug sanctimonious prick that I stay away from that show by default

Figuring that most of the country gets to see her acting like a stereotypical smug liberal once a commercial break on TBS I can't imagine shes helping the national discourse much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
remember when she teamed up with a morning shock jock who was too racist for fox news

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when she teamed up with a morning shock jock who was too racist for fox news

I love how both of them are cringing

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I love how both of them are cringing

It's not just the two of them

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What ever happened with Sam Bee showing up at Left Forum to get footage of crazy leftists? Did that ever show up on her show.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

got any sevens posted:

anyway

Tom Bombadril

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

What ever happened with Sam Bee showing up at Left Forum to get footage of crazy leftists? Did that ever show up on her show.

wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jacobin made a Facebook post about it.

https://m.facebook.com/jacobinmag/photos/pb.143021112391265.-2207520000.1496529458./1765854830107877/?type=3