Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

It's not *too* bad, and it's coming from a well-meaning place. It's kind of more of a product of how long the comic's been going that it's as awkward as it is--it may be may own inexperience talking, but I feel like public awareness of trans issues has stepped up by a lot in the past handful of years. It's not great writing, but it's El Goonish Shive what do you really expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Oh yeah, I'm sure the guy has his heart in the right place, but this is a symptom of the problem the comic has always had; It's maintaining 15 years of canon all the way back from when it was this:

I'm pretty sure the magically appearing anime-hammers ended up as a detailed plotpoint.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

That's his boner; if it was his heart it'd be in very much the wrong place

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are you saying your heart doesn't get a boner? :confused:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

how is scary go round so consistently very very good?

i have friends that routinely read questionable content but won't read scary go round.

Scary go round proper always somehow moves way too fast without anything happening either.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Scary go round proper always somehow moves way too fast without anything happening either.

If only there were some sort of analogy for that, like a carnival attraction that spins in place without going anywhere... some sort of "scare-us wheel", if you will.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

If only there were some sort of analogy for that, like a carnival attraction that spins in place without going anywhere... some sort of "scare-us wheel", if you will.

Scarousel?

... Grave-itron?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roller Ghoster

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

insani-teacups

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yes it's very clever, but that doesn't mean there's not going to be people it's not to the taste of. It's not some unbelievable thing that people might prefer the slow pointlessness of QQ to the quick pointlessness of SGR (not saying SGR isn't miles better, but thing can be good and also simply not to one's taste.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Please clarify what you mean by 'without anything happening' and 'pointlessness', hopefully not in such an annoying way.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 30, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
scarygoround is boring, but the art is nice

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What if... some people like things... that other people don't like???

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, man, didn't you hear? Entertainment value can be objectively determined, and a handful of goons are the only ones who are able to measure it. I don't know how they bear this enormous responsibility.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I totally rebinged on SSSS. Thanks guys.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Nah, man, didn't you hear? Entertainment value can be objectively determined, and a handful of goons are the only ones who are able to measure it. I don't know how they bear this enormous responsibility.

Every conceivable metric I can think of objective or not says to me that sgr is better than qc. Except maybe tshirt sales.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

reignonyourparade posted:

I feel that John Allison has managed to find a way to manage his somewhat mercurial whims (which no doubt keep him from being burnt out entirely) with his new system of shorter arcs of New Bobbins, Present day Tacklefield, and slicing the gordian knot that is Erin Winters and the Boy's Adventures. I see it as a balance between Scary-go-Rounds tendencies for sudden deaths, undeaths and being exiled to Wales and the rigid cases of Bad Machinery.

Edit: This latest story gives me more to add to my story I would love to tell to a Giant Days only reader "Esther began as Dark Esther... ...and then in hell he was transformed into a horse."

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 30, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Every conceivable metric I can think of objective or not says to me that sgr is better than qc. Except maybe tshirt sales.
Well good thing art is objective then, or else you'd look like a real rear end in a top hat right now.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Please do not criticise QC in this thread otherwise Jeff will be sad and wipe his tears with the 100 grand a year he makes drawing baby's first web comic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Criticising QC is boring as poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Everything that could possibly be said about QC has already been stated, argued, and ground down multiple times, in this thread as well as its precedessors.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

No you don't understand people have different opinions than me

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[rehashed qc argument]

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tell me about your favorite comic that updated today

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

that will cause conflict that isn't liked here

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

iospace posted:

Also, I totally rebinged on SSSS. Thanks guys.

someone posted it in the other thread, and i found it decent, but it's so slow, that it would probably still suck even with her astonishing speed

but if you can read it at your own pace, it's much better, and of course there are the meltdowns about the hatecrimes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Typical Pubbie posted:

Please do not criticise QC in this thread otherwise Jeff will be sad and wipe his tears with the 100 grand a year he makes drawing baby's first web comic.

pls don't critize him

you are dumb

let me, the transformers collector tell you how you should act

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

gently caress you, you're not the boss of me. I'll tell you about my favorite webcomic that updated yesterday.

Supermassive Black Hole A* updates with single-panel watercolor illustrations. Science fiction with a fairly complex premise that has the main character going on all sorts of space crime adventures.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tollymain posted:

I'm enjoying the current arcs in Questionable Content and EGS

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
qc is good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bongo Bill posted:

gently caress you, you're not the boss of me. I'll tell you about my favorite webcomic that updated yesterday.

Supermassive Black Hole A* updates with single-panel watercolor illustrations. Science fiction with a fairly complex premise that has the main character going on all sorts of space crime adventures.

Oh gods, I remember reading that a while ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I continue to enjoy QC and Elliott and Clinton should kiss.

Instead, let's criticize Dresden Codak, because I still haven't exactly penetrated what's supposed to be going on there. Like, did Balthazar get replaced with a double at some point or did the writer just decide to reveal that he secretly had a completely different personality all along?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

Instead, let's criticize Dresden Codak, because I still haven't exactly penetrated what's supposed to be going on there. Like, did Balthazar get replaced with a double at some point or did the writer just decide to reveal that he secretly had a completely different personality all along?

agreed

imo the hot buff robits should kiss each other on the mouth

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Not sure if it updated yesterday (not quite caught up yet), but I've been reading KC Green's He Is A Good Boy, which Is A Good Comic

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Hogge Wild posted:

pls don't critize him

you are dumb

let me, the transformers collector tell you how you should act

Willis of "Lesbians vs. Strawmen" fame doesn't like being criticised. Colour me surprised.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's about Diaz jerking off to buff cyborg ladies and wishing he had written Ghost in the Shell first. That's it, nothing else.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tollymain posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court and Unsounded have their own threads. Wilde Life continues to deliver, though; I'm curious about what's up with Oscar and the Mystery Coffee Shop. I never would have pegged "hipster ghost story" as a thing I would enjoy, but it's pretty great. I'm kind of savoring every page of Widdershins while I can, too, because it seems like it's heading rapidly to a conclusion.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Someone else recced it in the thread earlier, but I've been liking Sakana and it updated today! O Human Star also updated yesterday!

I don't really read too many comics anymore, either lost interest or they stopped updating or are on hiatus.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Not sure if it updated yesterday (not quite caught up yet), but I've been reading KC Green's He Is A Good Boy, which Is A Good Comic

I flat out cannot decide if I like He Is a Good Boy, but I've been reading it consistently since it started so that has to count for something. It's probably at its best when it's focusing on horror parodies rather than Crange as a character.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I'm really happy SA has a decent comics discussion board.

Other communities are...

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/statuses/880887836160831488

It wouldn't have happened without Ninona being published as a graphic novel first, since that's where it really caught people's attention, but still, good for her.

• Locked thread