Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do people like Angela Merkel so much? Like everything I've read about her is bad.

She's a competent executive with a firm-ish control over her party, and isn't an insane reactionary or neo-fascist. Low bars, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

She's a competent executive with a firm-ish control over her party, and isn't an insane reactionary or neo-fascist. Low bars, I know.

But she fucks over the poorer in crisis Euro nations like Greece.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

punk rebel ecks posted:

techincally jean-claude juncker is Luxembourgian

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sure, but I don't think that in any way contradicts what I said.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

lets just balkanize this country already jfc

america 2 big lmbo

Willa Rogers posted:

"This is a move to the left for Gillibrand, who despite advocating for “Medicare for all” since her first congressional campaign has not outright advocated a single-payer system."

lolol.

:shrug:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I finally got around to reading that sarah jones story about dem email fundraising and this

quote:

Kenneth Pennington, the former digital director of Senator Bernie Sanders’s presidential campaign, calls this a “churn and burn” approach that exploits voters. “A dirty secret in the email fundraising industry is that most of the people giving are senior citizens,” he told the New Republic in an email. “For a less net-savvy generation some of these emails that put you on ‘FINAL NOTICE’ are confusing and scary enough. The prospect that your donation will be quadruple-matched may also be enticing, if you really believe it.”

made me so mad, bc I saw my mom fall for this bullshit time and again (bonus points if "female empowerment" was anywhere in the asks) as she was in her last years of life and my friends' moms are still falling for it.

the local PBS affiliate was almost as bad with its telemarketers; when I told one guy to not call my mom again he sarcastically asked me what I was gonna do about it, and I had to threaten him with my going to the press before her name was taken off the suckers list.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Scent of Worf posted:

yea that entire article feels like a cry for pity. doesn't sound like they have any intentions of defending themselves. loving pathetic

if they talked about taking any further steps or a more aggressive defense the cops would be on them more than they undoubtedly are now. the article could use an edit but it's the best they can do imo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

the local PBS affiliate was almost as bad with its telemarketers; when I told one guy to not call my mom again he sarcastically asked me what I was gonna do about it, and I had to threaten him with my going to the press before her name was taken off the suckers list.

and here I thought the worst of it was sketchy "utilities" companies and trying to sell seniors on various schemes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

R. Guyovich posted:

if they talked about taking any further steps or a more aggressive defense the cops would be on them more than they undoubtedly are now. the article could use an edit but it's the best they can do imo

maybe they should direct their funds and members back to a real communist party, then, the splitters :q:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this is loving shameful. we're supposedly the party of the people, so why are we paying our interns <2x less often than the repubs?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Condiv posted:

this is loving shameful. we're supposedly the party of the people, so why are we paying our interns <2x less often than the repubs?

Dems are a charity case, duh~!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

well yeah that's the point you don't want the riff-raff having access

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

ThndrShk2k posted:

Dems are a charity case, duh~!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

I finally got around to reading that sarah jones story about dem email fundraising and this

made me so mad, bc I saw my mom fall for this bullshit time and again (bonus points if "female empowerment" was anywhere in the asks) as she was in her last years of life and my friends' moms are still falling for it.

I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea of a PBS suckers' list.

Our entire social construct is based on capitalism, not democracy. You know this. The problem with politics in America is money in politics. We either have to find a way to make it work in our favor or change it; and changing it is not possible.

edit: I'm not lol'ing at you or your mom directly, but how else would a public interest forum in the U.S. survive without money

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

consumed by normies posted:

good thing hes a good dem and it rules

Wait, when did Keith become good again? I mean he's always been good but I though the sukzone decided he was bad for reasons.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, when did Keith become good again? I mean he's always been good but I though the sukzone decided he was bad for reasons.

He's made a few bad calls (attending a DNC fundraiser instead of the Women's March, endorsing someone who turned out to be pretty bad for some Democratic Party position in Florida, not being named Buttigieg) but his Good Dem / Bad Dem tally is still very very heavily balanced on the side of the angels.

(And lol if anyone actually turns against Randy Bryce for saying the words "america is already great".)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

radical meme posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea of a PBS suckers' list.

Our entire social construct is based on capitalism, not democracy. You know this. The problem with politics in America is money in politics. We either have to find a way to make it work in our favor or change it; and changing it is not possible.

edit: I'm not lol'ing at you or your mom directly, but how else would a public interest forum in the U.S. survive without money

I have no problem with their fundraising via telethons but when they're calling my dying mom literally once a week for MOAR MONEY I do have an issue with it.

instead, let them climb up the kochs' assholes like they do for the majority of their funding.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Keith Good Exhibit B

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/880901985125400578

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

I have no problem with their fundraising via telethons but when they're calling my dying mom literally once a week for MOAR MONEY I do have an issue with it.

instead, let them climb up the kochs' assholes like they do for the majority of their funding.

I feel you. I'm rabidly protective of my aging siblings and my kids.

A civilized society would fund public media.

I love you Willa.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

docbeard posted:

He's made a few bad calls (attending a DNC fundraiser instead of the Women's March, endorsing someone who turned out to be pretty bad for some Democratic Party position in Florida, not being named Buttigieg) but his Good Dem / Bad Dem tally is still very very heavily balanced on the side of the angels.

(And lol if anyone actually turns against Randy Bryce for saying the words "america is already great".)

My purity test cut off point is 99.44% pure, and Randy is dangerously close to the line.

Keith is dead to me.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

docbeard posted:

He was, in fact, from the brand-new Republican Party, one of four political parties (if you count North and South Democrats as two, which you may as well since they both ran candidates) represented in the 1860 election.

So it's a reasonable stretch to say that a third party, non-establishment candidate became one of our most beloved presidents. And it only took a literal secession crisis to make it happen.

Don't forget the party included a bunch of bona fide German Marxists who immigrated to America after a botched revolution and helped Lincoln win the election.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Don't forget the party included a bunch of bona fide German Marxists who immigrated to America after a botched revolution and helped Lincoln win the election.

Kick rear end

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

HiHo ChiRho posted:

what happened to them after the election

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

UHD posted:

what happened to them after the election

Fought in the Civil War of course
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Weydemeyer

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Balkanization sounds incredibly appealing.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

neat

too bad it didn't stick or the country would be pretty different today

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do people like Angela Merkel so much? Like everything I've read about her is bad.

identity politics

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Balkanization sounds incredibly appealing.

Treading dangerously close to unironically advocating for letting the South secede. People who arent uniformly horrible are trapped in the Republican hell states and don't have the resources to leave.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Not a Step posted:

Treading dangerously close to unironically advocating for letting the South secede. People who arent uniformly horrible are trapped in the Republican hell states and don't have the resources to leave.

Yeah you are right, its probably more noble to all die together.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Not a Step posted:

refugees are always welcome, even if they're white

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

refugees are always welcome, even if they're white

u just say that because u won't have to live next to them

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

logikv9 posted:

buttigieg

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Balkanization is probably inevitable anyway.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

deadgoon posted:

u just say that because u won't have to live next to them

ok maybe keep out refugees from selected european nations where terrorists are known to come from: spain, great britain, france & portugal to start

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Al! posted:

ok maybe keep out refugees from selected european nations where terrorists are known to come from: spain, great britain, france & portugal to start
Don't forget America

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

SGBFPs? You need to include some vowel countries in there. Ireland and Austria gets you FIGBAPS, which just rolls off the tongue.

And lol if you don't think people wouldn't flee shitshows like Kansas by the tens of thousands right now if they had the money and support to do so

E: PIGBAFS

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Jul 1, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Not a Step posted:

SGBFPs? You need to include some vowel countries in there. Ireland and Austria gets you FIGBAPS, which just rolls off the tongue.

And lol if you don't think people wouldn't flee shitshows like Kansas by the tens of thousands right now if they had the money and support to do so

E: PIGBAFS

when did someone from austria ever hurt anybody??????

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Australia then?

Look you need some vowels. Somebody has to get lumped into the Axis of Evil to make the acronym work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
America.

• Locked thread