Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Roasted veggies (sweet onion, red onion, zucchini - basically all the poo poo I had on hand), sauteed shrimp, rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Hob, you're manning the grill at this year's forum cookout because that looks terrific.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I had a bag of rice flour and a piece of char siew, so I made:
Banh xeo with char siu (without shrimps), onion, bean sprouts and spring onions, some mint leaves, a handful of lettuce leaves and a simple nuoc cham

Didn't expect it would work out, but dayum, that stuff was good!
So the next day I made it again (had a load of leftovers), but with bigger lettuce leaves and two instead of one banh xeo

I never ate banh xeo before, but I love the stuff I made, so next week I'm going to order it from a proper vietnamese restaurant and see what can be enhanced.
It's definitely a dish that will stick in my routine, for sure! :-D

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

My second time trying my hand at sushi! I am starting to get some of this down pretty good.

I really need a sharper knife, and I realize I need to actually measure the rice/vinegar ratio til I get the hang. This batch was a little too sticky.

I also need to get a little better at even filling distribution.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

THE MACHO MAN posted:

My second time trying my hand at sushi! I am starting to get some of this down pretty good.

I really need a sharper knife, and I realize I need to actually measure the rice/vinegar ratio til I get the hang. This batch was a little too sticky.

I also need to get a little better at even filling distribution.

Too many words for so much things that should be in my mouth omnomnom

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Thank you!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

paraquat posted:

I had a bag of rice flour and a piece of char siew, so I made:
Banh xeo with char siu (without shrimps), onion, bean sprouts and spring onions, some mint leaves, a handful of lettuce leaves and a simple nuoc cham

Didn't expect it would work out, but dayum, that stuff was good!
So the next day I made it again (had a load of leftovers), but with bigger lettuce leaves and two instead of one banh xeo

I never ate banh xeo before, but I love the stuff I made, so next week I'm going to order it from a proper vietnamese restaurant and see what can be enhanced.
It's definitely a dish that will stick in my routine, for sure! :-D

Killing it.

I'd love to say nice work, but I'd have to be there and eat all this poo poo to say for sure.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Thanks paraquat, just made banh xeo for the first time inspired by your post. What a great way to make leftovers fancy, I had some sous vide chicken breast and grilled lemongrass pork and nuoc cham in the fridge that probably would have gone to the dog but instead got turned into something delicious.

Used this recipe and they turned out great.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

healthy weekend continues on with eggs florentine with smoked salmon

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Pork tacos, with guacamole, salsa

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I saw one of those dumb recipe videos on Facebook for zucchini ravioli. Then I got two zucchini in a produce box.

Sooooo

I had to make some substitutions but it ended up absolutely fantastic

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
burgs - both with cheddar, tomato, green onion, and vidalia onion relish; one with a pickle, the other with sauteed mushrooms/garlic/green onions

watermelon salad - diced melon, feta, pecans, black pepper, olive oil

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Misir wat and atakilt wat (for a visiting vegetarian) and Budget Byte's sausage and greens pasta (for the rest of us). Gotta use up those CSA veggies however I can...

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegetable pad thai

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Yotam Ottolenghi's Legume and Noodle (well, Linguine) Soup

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I made spaghetti sauce from scratch for the first time. With shameful store-bought garlic bread.

I also made black raspberry cobbler.

Not all cooking is easy but a lot of good, lovely healthy cooking is :shobon:

This is great and certainly how I started myself. Next step: shakshuka. That poo poo owns. Google Guardian Perfect Shakshuka and basically do that recipe at the end but roast the peppers first.

(I love the Guardian Perfect 'whatever' recipe series because they go through a lot of other recipes and their reasons as to how they got to their final one)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I made Khinkali. They actually turned out pretty close to the real thing I had in Kutaisi and Tbilisi. Next time more effort on consistent dumpling skins and more water in the meat filling.

Filling is 1/4 lamb chop, 3/4 fatty ground beef sirloin, 1tblsp coriander, 1tblspn salt, 1 tblspn pepper, ~100ml minced cilantro, a minced chili pepper, 1/2 a minced onion. You add about 1/6th again the volume in water to make the meat artificially juicy.

Ideally you should have to bite a small hole in the dumpling and drink about a shot glass worth of juice to eat the rest of the dumpling. If you just bite into a Khinkali without that first step it should douse the front of your shirt and make you look like an idiot.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 10, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think with shanghai soup dumplings they don't add water but rather some kind of other liquid that at cold/room temp is more solid but when steamed/heated up becomes liquid.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Ranter posted:

I think with shanghai soup dumplings they don't add water but rather some kind of other liquid that at cold/room temp is more solid but when steamed/heated up becomes liquid.

It's pork gelatin.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

La Brea Carpet posted:

It's pork gelatin.

Cool thanks. So maybe instead of adding water which may f-up the dumpling skins, one could add gelatin.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
For xiaolongbao, the 'shanghai soup dumplings', you use either gelatin like someone said or just freeze some stock or liquid to put in there.

Any kind of stuff that sets up at room temperature or in the fridge works, and usually anything for which that is true is also rich and delicious.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
that's funny i just made kenji's xlb recipe for dinner tonight

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's definitely water for khinkali. The skins I made were inconsistent but that's just my inexperience with homemade dough. I added too much water to dough and so it was sticking and stretching. The places where they make hundreds a day are always perfect little meat water balloons.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

large hands posted:

that's funny i just made kenji's xlb recipe for dinner tonight

Goddamn I would eat all of that so hard and fast

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made Jamaican patties from the serious eats recipe last night. didn't have a scotch bonnet so i used a couple of dried habs. spicy as hell but delicious.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

gently caress yes.

I made risotto using a chanterelle mushroom broth and grilled some prawns with garlic and parsley. I think we finished this in two minutes flat, so tasty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

blixa posted:

gently caress yes.

I made risotto using a chanterelle mushroom broth and grilled some prawns with garlic and parsley. I think we finished this in two minutes flat, so tasty.

Oh my

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

this thread always has great stuff, but those last three :discourse:

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Semi charcuterie board and fondue for a little pre-game Game of Thrones party last night.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No lemoncakes? No sweetcorn and pease? Cod cakes and roast mutton and pigeon pie and mounds of neeps and I see a cheese wheel there I guess

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No lemoncakes? No sweetcorn and pease? Cod cakes and roast mutton and pigeon pie and mounds of neeps and I see a cheese wheel there I guess

I see what you did there, and in hindsight, dammit I really could have perused back through the books and found a couple of goodies that would have fit...ok, next week.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just because I wanted to know what a "neep" is I googled it and found a scots wikipedia page on the subject. I love that scots looks like a bunch of orks wrote it.

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neep

"Wild forms o the neep an its kin, the mustarts an the reefort can be fund aw ower wast Asie an Europe, makkin fowk think that their domestication teuk place somewey in that airt."

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Phil you just started something, after (like you) I started snooping around, I found a couple of recipes for Haggis, neeps & tatties. I am going to find out who my true friends are when the Haggis happens next Sunday.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

vegetable paella from ATK.

Had to double the suggested length of time so the socarrat got crunchy enough!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nhilist posted:

Phil you just started something, after (like you) I started snooping around, I found a couple of recipes for Haggis, neeps & tatties. I am going to find out who my true friends are when the Haggis happens next Sunday.

Haggis owns bones :colbert:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I know a scot and they've made neeps like, 3 of the 5 times they've cooked dinner.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

This is amazing.

No pics because we inhaled it but I just made an elote pizza. Premade crust from Trader Joe's, thin layer of mayo, crumbled queso fresco, fresh corn, mozz, fresh sliced tomato, hot link, home-pickled red onions, lots of red pepper. Fridge clean-out pizza. It was amazing.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
Tonight's noms are American goulash with French-cut green beans and homemade sourdough garlic bread. I'm particularly proud of the bread; its soft and cake-like.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Turkey meatballs with jalapeņo, cucumber, edamame, peanuts, peanut sauce & cilantro over brown rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

teh winnar! posted:

Tonight's noms are American goulash with French-cut green beans and homemade sourdough garlic bread. I'm particularly proud of the bread; its soft and cake-like.

My grandma used to make "goulash" just like this and I absolutely loved it.