Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrBling posted:

I haven't heard anything post-The Gathering so their newer albums might be better.

they aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

They're like Exodus. You know exactly what you're going to get.

Also The Gathering was a fantastic album fwiw

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

Well when the bulk of opinions that get posted are ragging on something, it earns the reputation it receives.

what reputation is that?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stab posted:

They're like Exodus. You know exactly what you're going to get.

Also The Gathering was a fantastic album fwiw

yeah the gathering was really good and the rest of their albums are kind of a disappointment in comparison

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
TIL there are people that think Testament and Metallica sound alike in the slightest.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So who actually does sound like Metallica? A friend at work was asking me to recommend metal for her brother but all she could remember him liking was oldish Metallica.

I like the first 3 Metallica albums but I was at a loss for something that might sound like that.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Snowy posted:

So who actually does sound like Metallica? A friend at work was asking me to recommend metal for her brother but all she could remember him liking was oldish Metallica.

I like the first 3 Metallica albums but I was at a loss for something that might sound like that.

Evile maybe? The last couple albums anyway.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TollTheHounds posted:

I had no idea they were still making music. As the Path Unfolds was a great album, but Writ of the Sword felt kind of lacking in some way - it had all the elements that made As the Path... good but somehow managed to make it boring. This on the other hand is fantastic - the 6 year break obviously did them good! The riffs, the chanting, the melodies, the folk interludes - everything I love in one package. The orchestral parts are almost borderline too-cheesy in that Luca Turilli kind of way but not quite enough to make me feel embarrassed listening to it.
Yeah I don't know the scuttlebutt on why exactly they've been so quiet, but apparently the album's been in the works since 2014. They had a new female vocalist at some point but got Helena back on board last year, which is great because she is a fantastic singer.

I agree about The Writ of Sword, I do think it's a really good album but I still usually go for the debut whenever I'm on a Crimfall mood. Here's hoping Amain turns out well.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Snowy posted:

Have him try Lethal Shöck's 2016 album, Evil Aggressor. It's Metallica-adjacent, imo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

Wasn't there a band whose album was used to trick people into thinking there was new Metallica leaked?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
god dammit, I used to know the name of a total Metallica clone band, but I can't remember it now.

There's Perzonal War, Eternal Decision, Hellraiser that sound pretty similar to those first albums tho.

I'll try to remember that other band. They were spot-on.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wasn't there a band whose album was used to trick people into thinking there was new Metallica leaked?

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

god dammit, I used to know the name of a total Metallica clone band, but I can't remember it now.

Am I Blood, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KVs0q6nKw

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Testament is so energetic on their latest album because it's a life-or-death warning to everyone about the reptile overlords, duh!

Yeah I'm not thrilled with them apparently throwing in with the Icke "Not a Nazi but Yeah Probably a Nazi" crowd :can: and I think their new album has two solid songs on it, but to each their own. I'm not going to post about how much I hate cookie monster vocals every time someone posts some in this thread.

This song used to be posted as "THE NEW METALLICA ALBUM SINGLE" back when Limewire was a thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Matt Pike made reptoid conspiracies acceptable

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

there's that one heathen album that sounds exactly like and justice for all but with really bad power metal vocals

e: and the first meshuggah album that sounds like late 80s metallica doing lovely watchtower covers

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 30, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Matt Pike made reptoid conspiracies acceptable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_qMI0Edi-o

edit: this one is even more metallicaish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0AzsphfQj4

CRIP EATIN BREAD fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 30, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Snowy posted:

Newstead.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think Avenged Sevenfold started apeing Metallicas sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelhLppPSxY

90's Metallica.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
thank you for reminding me how horribly uninspired the drumming is on that a7x album jesus loving christ

rip the rev

e: though I guess that's more evidence they're aping metallica

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

kumba posted:

rip the rev
with the cocktail of poo poo they found in his system when he died, he'd be peaceful for another 8 or 9 months if he hadn't shuffled off this mortal coil

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kumba posted:

thank you for reminding me how horribly uninspired the drumming is on that a7x album jesus loving christ

rip the rev

e: though I guess that's more evidence they're aping metallica

The drumming on the new album is sooo much better, not that it took much.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

There's Perzonal War, Eternal Decision, Hellraiser that sound pretty similar to those first albums tho.

I'll try to remember that other band. They were spot-on.

I think you mean Trivium

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

TollTheHounds posted:

I think you mean Trivium

No... I think I was trying to remember Am I Blood like the previous poster suggested.

EDIT: yes, it's them. Their Agitation album is total Metallica worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmoa_eDq30

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 30, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

After years of will-they-won't-they, the new Jag Panzer is due out September 29:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=135770

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TollTheHounds posted:

I think you mean Trivium

Trivium was only a Metallica clone for one album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeZGGBLpbsM

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

I think Avenged Sevenfold started apeing Metallicas sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelhLppPSxY

90's Metallica.

i'm surprised ac/dc never sued them for ripping off hells bells so blatantly

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
jfc stop talking about lovely uninspired metal and listen to the new Vintersorg album instead.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

came here to post mantic ritual as metallica worship

i won tickets through work to see metallica this tour, and i'm 100% excited to maybe see creeping death, motorbreath, or the four horsemen live. i'm not sure what i'll do for the rest of the set though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Not Very Metal posted:

i won tickets through work to see metallica this tour, and i'm 100% excited to maybe see creeping death, motorbreath, or the four horsemen live. i'm not sure what i'll do for the rest of the set though.

First Set: St. Anger album in it's entirety

[break]

Second Set: LuLu album in it's entirety (Lou Reed via hologram)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Not Very Metal posted:

count the number of times Lars stands up while ending the song on a hi-hat roll and looks around at the crowd like he thinks he just did a magic trick

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Vulture Culture posted:

count the number of times Lars stands up while ending the song on a hi-hat roll and looks around at the crowd like he thinks he just did a magic trick

I've only got ten fingers man

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Second Set: LuLu album in it's entirety (Lou Reed via hologram)

Would unironically rule.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
This album is the most metallica-ish thing that isn't actually Metallica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4KJc0xths

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of Metallica, anybody else going to be at the ATL show on July 9th?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
if anyone likes dying fetus, their new album is extremely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6guAQGwzjjM

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I feel as if though DF songs would always make the best album/band names. Homicidal Retribution, Intentional Manslaughter, Blood of Power etc. :black101:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I remember in like 1997 or 1998 going to the local ticket master that was in a Sears in a mall and asking for Dying Fetus tickets. The woman working the counter was disgusted. Thank god I can order tickets online, because that same reaction probably wouldn't be as humorous as a guy in his mid 30s

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I remember in like 1997 or 1998 going to the local ticket master that was in a Sears in a mall and asking for Dying Fetus tickets. The woman working the counter was disgusted.

lmao

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I remember seeing posters for a Dying Fetus show when I was in middle school, before I was into anything harder than Metallica. I thought it was the funniest thing and went around the rest of the day telling my friends I was going to start a tribute band called Wilting Placenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Been listening to Live poo poo by Metallica in preparation for the show on the 9th and drat they slayed back in the early 90s. Too bad Lars was loving up drums even back then.