Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Stanyer89 posted:

Lol if you're still buying baby marines.

#chadmarinelife

I haven't seriously played since 5th, and I just bought my first box of Sanguinary Guard... so, uhh...

:frogout:

E: I don't like this. Last time I got top of page it was a Bad Move.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JackMack posted:

Crossposting from the oath thread. THis guy is a xenos bounty hunter, tagging along with my militia army for the chance to kill Space Marines. There are certain places where who are paying double for a primaris. He is going to be the leader of a bunch of counts-as Ogryns.

This guy is loving rad! Really old-school sci-fi vibe to him. 40k as drawn by Phillip drouett. Is it a conversion?

The Sex Cannon posted:

Crotch post:

Have fun charging my demolishers, Beer4thBeerGod's ork boyz.

I think demolisher are the best of a bad lot, and battle cannons aren't the worst one, but leman russes in general really leave me unimpressed at the moment. So many points for such mediocre firepower. Although they can no longer be taken out by assault or a single meltagun as easily (and denying deep strike got a lot easier), their resilience against ranged shooting is comparatively worse than the previous edition. 3 lascannon wounds can take them out, for example, which isn't that unreasonable for a single kitted devastation squad or predator annihilator.

Edit: not that yours don't look good though! And I'm sure demo + heavy flamers is a relatively good choice.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Bee posted:

Hive Crones don't have the Supersonic pivot rule, at least, so you could theoretically fly right back around in a big circle. However, that would probably just get you counter-charged next turn, so if wanting to go all-in on wing slashes it's probably best to take a large move and return fire, then charge the turn after.

Units with a minimum move have to end their movement at least that far away from the starting position, so you can't just double back around and not move. You are forced to fall back.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Crotch post:

Did you find a good way to magnetize them or are they permanent?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

This guy is loving rad! Really old-school sci-fi vibe to him. 40k as drawn by Phillip drouett. Is it a conversion?

It is from this guy http://knightmareminiatures.com . He also sculpted the Eddie the Head miniature I won't stop posting. He sculpts a lot of great Oldhammer style stuff for both WFB and 40K.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

JackMack posted:

It is from this guy http://knightmareminiatures.com . He also sculpted the Eddie the Head miniature I won't stop posting. He sculpts a lot of great Oldhammer style stuff for both WFB and 40K.

Is it a Fimir???

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Is it a Fimir???

gently caress yes!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Units with a minimum move have to end their movement at least that far away from the starting position, so you can't just double back around and not move. You are forced to fall back.

Oh, seriously? That sucks. Honestly, the only fun thing about capital-F Fliers in this game is the part where jump pack troops can assault them. And the poor Hive Crone doesn't even get that decency.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Oh, seriously? That sucks. Honestly, the only fun thing about capital-F Fliers in this game is the part where jump pack troops can assault them. And the poor Hive Crone doesn't even get that decency.
I don't know. I ran a Hive Crone out of curiosity in my last game and it did fairly well. It flew forward 30" my first turn and charged a unit of hellblasters. It got subsequently charged by a lieutenant in my opponent's turn, but I managed to wipe out the hellblasters in his assault phase and flew away in my movement phase to harass a predator. It was pretty low on wounds by that point and died, but it distracted a good chunk of the enemy army and, well, it's cheaper than a hellblaster squad so I was happy. It sucks that it can't get stuck in against a choice target, but I can see what they were going for with forcing it to move on.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What about the part where they can't be bubble wrapped? Or the part where they can shoot after falling back?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

DiHK posted:

What about the part where they can't be bubble wrapped? Or the part where they can shoot after falling back?

That also applies to the flying keyword, not just the flying rules. And those don't have their own, awkward movement phase rules stapled on. Or their own pseudophase the GW keeps trying to make happen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Battlewagons and pile-in moves are my friend.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Gonna have my first 8th game tomorrow against Necrons with my tinyboy marines. Any super hot pointers, aside from the obvious "kill a unit dead dead dead to keep it from reanimating"?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think demolisher are the best of a bad lot, and battle cannons aren't the worst one, but leman russes in general really leave me unimpressed at the moment. So many points for such mediocre firepower. Although they can no longer be taken out by assault or a single meltagun as easily (and denying deep strike got a lot easier), their resilience against ranged shooting is comparatively worse than the previous edition. 3 lascannon wounds can take them out, for example, which isn't that unreasonable for a single kitted devastation squad or predator annihilator.

Edit: not that yours don't look good though! And I'm sure demo + heavy flamers is a relatively good choice.

Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out what their best uses are. I gave 'em flamethrowers because they're gonna get stuck in, or they're gonna be out in front to soak up horde charges.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're not glued in. I can yank 'em out if I want to switch.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm going to try 1500 point list out this weekend in a casual setting. Tell me what you guys think about it.

The plan is to use the conscript squads as bubble wrap against chargers while the infantry teams and heavy weapons squads dish out the real damage. The tempestors will deep strike near high value targets and hopefully take it out. I'm not entirely sold on Bullgryns working with this list, but I couldn't resist having 25 S7 -1AP 2W attacks on the charge. The Sentinels are mainly for capping objectives and having a chance to damage heavies. The hellhound will be doing drive-by barbecues against enemy infantry squads and if it survives try to go for objectives late game.

My Biggest concern with this list is not having as many large guns to take down heavies as i usually do.

It seems like you're kinda light on multi damage weapons. I'd switch one of the teams to lascannons and take the HB out of the infantry squads.
Also, I saw scout sentinels used to great effect in a batrep recently. The player had them up front, then scout-moved them towards the nasty CC tarpit units in order to keep them tied up for a long time. Seems more useful there than to hope they get one or two shots off with their guns.

EDIT: what are you planning to use to model conscripts?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

After putting together 15 scouts, I have a new found appreciation for how well done the Primarus models are.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm going to try 1500 point list out this weekend in a casual setting. Tell me what you guys think about it.

The plan is to use the conscript squads as bubble wrap against chargers while the infantry teams and heavy weapons squads dish out the real damage. The tempestors will deep strike near high value targets and hopefully take it out. I'm not entirely sold on Bullgryns working with this list, but I couldn't resist having 25 S7 -1AP 2W attacks on the charge. The Sentinels are mainly for capping objectives and having a chance to damage heavies. The hellhound will be doing drive-by barbecues against enemy infantry squads and if it survives try to go for objectives late game.

My Biggest concern with this list is not having as many large guns to take down heavies as i usually do.

I'd also recommend dropping the plasma pistols for more special weapons on the command scions.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cutedge posted:

After putting together 15 scouts, I have a new found appreciation for how well done the Primarus models are.

I've been waiting breathlessly to hear what models we'll get for newbie Primaris Marines because I loathe those old kits so much.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

This appeared on the GW website today so apparently all of these are happening

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

DiHK posted:

Where's my buddy dreadnought movie?

Make them high-five like that scene in Predator.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Gargantuan Squiggoths, things of that nature.

TAke a look y'all.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Cutedge posted:

This appeared on the GW website today so apparently all of these are happening

As a single decal sheet that seems to indicate a bigly hq box.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I thought GW had learnt from its Ironjawz single figure pricing when they released some new kits, but $60AUS per Bigly marine character is absurd.

:wtc:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Terror troops and psychological warfare isn't alien to the Imperium. The reivers are a return to the norm. In the Horus Heresy each legion maintained units that specialized in the use of terror tactics, rad weapons, or bio weapons. There are stories of compliance being enforced solely through a world learning of these terror tactics. Even the Ultramarines had destroyer cabals.

:goonsay:

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I'm jumping into 8th after a long hiatus with the cool new AdMech models, but in running into some problems. Is it just me, or are the new, more detailed plastic kits way more finicky and hard to assemble? Maybe in just spoiled by my old Cadians, who I could mix and match with reckless abandon. But skitaari seem like you have to match the pieces from each pose, and there's tons of sprue that needs to be cleaned off of each delicate, detailed piece.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The move to CAD designs meant they could put far more detail into each miniature, but also meant they moved to less posable, less customisable miniatures.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Sorting and organizing my warhams for better use and storage, and found this box:

In case I ever felt like painting with unicorn blood again.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

It seems like you're kinda light on multi damage weapons. I'd switch one of the teams to lascannons and take the HB out of the infantry squads.
Also, I saw scout sentinels used to great effect in a batrep recently. The player had them up front, then scout-moved them towards the nasty CC tarpit units in order to keep them tied up for a long time. Seems more useful there than to hope they get one or two shots off with their guns.

EDIT: what are you planning to use to model conscripts?

I have 50 painted cadians and another 100 unpainted ones I need to get around too. The unpainted ones will serve as conscripts. When I get around to them I'll probably paint a stripe down their armor similar to the whiteshields.These will be my first games of 8th So I'm bringing as much of my collection as I can carry to try and experiment with different units and see what all works over 2-3 games.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

JackMack posted:

Crossposting from the oath thread. THis guy is a xenos bounty hunter, tagging along with my militia army for the chance to kill Space Marines. There are certain places where who are paying double for a primaris. He is going to be the leader of a bunch of counts-as Ogryns.

That is some Rogue Trader level forging of narrative there. I love his little raygun.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I have a tourney today, 1k points, one "Patrol" detachment only. Mission will be secure and control (the old one objective each, auto tie). You can get up to one bonus command point for being fully painted or fully WYSIWYG.

I had been playing a lot of my demons so I wanted to try out my night lords:

I was building my own spreadsheets to make my lists, then that webpage builder was good enough, but then it went under, so I am back to this...

I figure the bikes and raptors will be fluffy while I get to play with two Demon Princes (my fav unit and models). I am worried it is a little too strong since I can reliably get 2+ to hit rerolling 1s on the biker unit, and it could move somewhere between 28 inches on the first turn and assault something with a lot of chainswords.

I'll try to take pics and report back how the event went.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Well, I played my first 8th ed game,
120 PL
I brought some of my tanks

Against some of a friend's tanks

On this table

I don't really have much to show as I was on the defensive.
Some shots of various turns.

Highlights include:
My dice rolling still sucks.
Watching my opponent overheat both Executioners in their first shots.
Loosing my Punisher's last two wounds to lasguns.
My Hydra overwatch killing a charging Demolisher.
Vehicular melee is hilarious.
All in all, had a great time.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
See, I wouldn't really mind the overheat rule if the executioner was ok without supercharging (plasma guns definitely are for their price). But it sucks. Clearly worse than a demolisher.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I've used mine similarly to push back the available deepstriking space (my tyranid opponent had lictors and trygons waiting) and it works well. Only caveats are that it's basically resigning the First Blood objective, and I want to get out of the mindset of always starting my IG list by building a brigade. Comd points over a certain point can't be worth more than taking effective units to fulfill a given plan.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tadhg posted:

Sorting and organizing my warhams for better use and storage, and found this box:

In case I ever felt like painting with unicorn blood again.

loving nice.
Found a pot of Charadon Granite in a paint bag I've got and it's my new go to black for the time being. It's so good.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New Primaris dudes still cool, weird how the captain gets a bunch of shooty options yet only a single melee option (Sword or eat poo poo), that's new for HQ characters.

Another weird thing is that the Matched Play rules on their store pages say that both can be taken by the Deathwatch, but the Indexes say Deathwatch can't take any Primaris. I'm pleasantly surprised if they've changed their mind, but it certainly is odd.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 1, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

New Primaris dudes still cool, weird how the captain gets a bunch of shooty options yet only a single melee option (Sword or eat poo poo), that's new for HQ characters.

Another weird thing is that the Matched Play rules on their store pages say that both can be taken by the Deathwatch, but the Indexes say Deathwatch can't take any Primaris. I'm pleasantly surprised if they've changed their mind, but it certainly is odd.

There was rumbling of the lieutenant kit being the one with the actual options in it, like the old commander kit.

This one just seems analogous to the current captain with the combi grav and sword.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I have a tourney today, 1k points, one "Patrol" detachment only. Mission will be secure and control (the old one objective each, auto tie). You can get up to one bonus command point for being fully painted or fully WYSIWYG.

I had been playing a lot of my demons so I wanted to try out my night lords:

I was building my own spreadsheets to make my lists, then that webpage builder was good enough, but then it went under, so I am back to this...

I figure the bikes and raptors will be fluffy while I get to play with two Demon Princes (my fav unit and models). I am worried it is a little too strong since I can reliably get 2+ to hit rerolling 1s on the biker unit, and it could move somewhere between 28 inches on the first turn and assault something with a lot of chainswords.

I'll try to take pics and report back how the event went.

That's a great spreadsheet.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Once again looking at FW rules and I am not entirely sure why you'd bother getting a bunch of these units. Heavy Gun Drones for instance puts out less shots as an equivalent cost of regular gun drones, but can't be buffed by surrounding fireblades. Same deal if they use their markerlight setup. They have an extra wound, but that is also it. The only reason I can think of for bringing them is if you've filled out your Fast Attack slots or don't have any suits or characters to put regular drones on.

Same deal with a lot of their special Commander suits, they seem like they're just worse or have less options for the same cost. Only one that's actually interesting has probably already been discussed, their "close combat" suits that I've forgotten the name of.

Edit:vvv Yeah, I know, just kinda baffled with some of this stuff. Some GW units in the new edition are obviously pretty broken too, but it is the exception rather than the rule and the introduction of command points really helped make slightly more balanced armies.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 1, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

evilmiera posted:

Once again looking at FW rules and I am not entirely sure why you'd bother getting a bunch of these units.

Forgeworld always kinda sucked at rules (Either units underpowered or undercosted) and it's pretty obvious the 8th ed rules were made in a vacuum with barely any contact with the main team.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Ouch.
NZ dollar warning...

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
NZ Dollar is what I've got to live with. :smith:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

£22.50 per single-pose plastic model.

New GW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Dark Imperium and the new box sets are reasonable. That pricing just pushes people towards ChinaForge