Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns&t=17s

Whats up baby, come visit my bedroo... oops this is the mining room sorry

I'm sweating just looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the walmart fans in the windows, the individual mouse plugged into each one, the lovely frames sitting on apartment grade carpet, the orange extension cords coming from every socket in the house to not pop the breakers, the daisy chained surge protectors

yeah, yeah this is my poo poo

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Don't forget all of the empty boxes so the guy can resell the burnt out overworked videocards to everyone in a few months.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Stealthgerbil posted:

Don't forget all of the empty boxes so the guy can resell the burnt out overworked videocards to everyone in a few months.

If you ask other people on SA, you should buy one for pennies off the dollar from them at that point and consider them the poor sucker. I don't know what to think as a guy with money and a wish for an affordable GPU in the future.

EDIT: Could they maybe afford some tables to put these rigs on so they don't ignite the carpet and burn your house down? I bet you anything these assholes are renting, too.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm actually having flashbacks to an old housemate, around 2000/2001. His room had a whole bench of server hardware he just used as his daily computing setup, at server room noise and heat levels. He and his girlfriend sitting in there smoking cigs and playing Quake and hanging out on IRC. I'm pretty sure he never got into Bitcoin, and they're suburbanites with a kid now, but he certainly had the noise and heat tolerance for it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

If you ask other people on SA, you should buy one for pennies off the dollar from them at that point and consider them the poor sucker. I don't know what to think as a guy with money and a wish for an affordable GPU in the future.

EDIT: Could they maybe afford some tables to put these rigs on so they don't ignite the carpet and burn your house down? I bet you anything these assholes are renting, too.

I think there's a good chance you'd be okay but if you wouldn't normally buy used components because of the risk then this is a whole lot riskier than that

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I think most people who bought used R9 290s after the mining crash in 2014 had good experiences, I know I did as I was able to use it for a couple years and then resell it for the same price I paid for it recently.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The cards are pretty good about regulating themselves when they hit thermal thresholds. Barring packing them in so tight that they're cooking adjacent hardware or some custom firmware to override the throttling which aren't too probable its probably alright. I would roll the dice on it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ay girl, I heard you like it hot. You ain't never had heat like this before.

*semen soaked tissue lands on GPU array, house burns down*

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yeah right
These guys don't gently caress

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yeah right
These guys don't gently caress

it was a jerk off napkin duh

mcdonalds of course

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Inkwell, I'm with this guy.
I was running a GTX 660 until January on my 3770K machine, and went to an RX 470 with twice as much VRAM for basically no benefit in Overwatch (on a 60hz TV). I'm sure I'd have seen benefits if I ran Doom on Ultra or something, but I never got around to it before I sold it in the mining craze. I could still happily use my 660 today on many games I like if I hadn't sold it, but your CPU I think is ages below mine, and mine hasn't been state of the art since 2013.

Get your Ryzen 5 up and going, and buy a GPU for Black Friday deals or something. Don't be like me: the guy on iGPU wishing for a $350 1070 but willing to bite on a $375 one.

cool, thanks for the advice!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my 7970 is making a whole dollar a day. Include electricity costs and the added A/C and im making a cool -0.30 a day. Gotta spend money to make money. Get on my level poors

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Alright guys I'm posting this because im pretty god drat proud, but feel free to laugh. I violated the poo poo out of rule #1 on day 0 so I figured well, go all in!

I present to you the computer made out of garbage

a few fitment issues lol (nothing a hacksaw didnt solve)

(all prices including shipping, tax, etc)
$10 - Craigslist Case (Coolermaster 915R ??? never heard of this weird rear end thing)
$28 - Ebay Intel "i5" 4570T
$20 - Ebay Unknown pulled B85 Acer Motherboard
$22 - Amazon new PSU EVGA something
$0 - 4 GB drawer ram
$6 - Store bought lovely zalman cooler

Took me a week but $86 to put together an actual computer that works to plug a GPU into is unreal to me. The 1070 I have in it is being returned to best buy so I can put my current (cheaper) 1080 into it as I have a 1080ti on the way for my regular computer

I do have a small issue with this CPU, Nicehash doesn't seem to find it to mine with. It seems to meet all the requirements I could find (specifically AES instruction set and "not old"). I've seen it generally not recommend to mine with the CPU but this is a 35W TDP CPU and so far CPU mining has gained me about 10% on top. Even my OC'd 6600k uses 30 more watts over not using it which has totally been worth it so I'd like to CPU mine if possible.

edit: (oh yeah, windows 10 evaluation and an old ssd I pulled from my main computer I never use). Its also dead silent at 100% load, puts my main computer to shame

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 1, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, you built a machine for mining. It's a dumb machine, but building a machine for mining is dumb so you didn't put much skin in the game. Wise idea.

But, you're returning your 1070 to Best Buy (where presumably you didn't pay more than MSRP for it) so you can put in a 1080, which is worse for mining than the 1070.

Why not keep the 1070 and sell the 1080? True bitfuckers would want that fast RAM.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

So, you built a machine for mining. It's a dumb machine, but building a machine for mining is dumb so you didn't put much skin in the game. Wise idea.

But, you're returning your 1070 to Best Buy (where presumably you didn't pay more than MSRP for it) so you can put in a 1080, which is worse for mining than the 1070.

Why not keep the 1070 and sell the 1080? True bitfuckers would want that fast RAM.

I dont know, the 1080 has consistently made more money so far but I haven't looked into it. I figured the 1080 was not favorable because it cost more not because it mined worse. Very occasionally the 1070 might get close to the 1080 but typically the 1080 has been doing ~20% better. Also I paid $400 flat for it and it will have more inherent resale value because of a serial based warranty and the fact its just a 1080

I just looked it up on the nicehash calculator and the 1080 shows slightly better. The figures are much closer to each other than I've personally seen (though my comparisons haven't been apples to apples with different CPU's) the 1080 still "wins" in my case since I actually got it for less money to start with.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Sold my R9 390 today for $420 CAD / ~325 USD. Cheating on AMD with the new wifu, I should still use the sticker right?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Risky Bisquick posted:

Sold my R9 390 today for $420 CAD / ~325 USD. Cheating on AMD with the new wifu, I should still use the sticker right?

This sticker is better

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 1, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm just going to hold onto my bitcoins and hope they go up in value is this a good idea? Should I buy some more?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm just going to hold onto my bitcoins and hope they go up in value is this a good idea? Should I buy some more?

take out a loan on your 401k to buy as many as possible, the returns are greater that way

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Someone at my work has a bunch of bitcoins with an average purchase price of like 600 USD, still going long. In case you missed that, he bought bitcoin with money and is currently in the money so to speak.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

Alright guys I'm posting this because im pretty god drat proud, but feel free to laugh. I violated the poo poo out of rule #1 on day 0 so I figured well, go all in!

a few fitment issues lol

$10 - Craigslist Case (Coolermaster 915R ??? never heard of this weird rear end thing)
$0 - 4 GB drawer ram

Took me a week but $86 to put together an actual computer that works to plug a GPU into is unreal to me. The 1070 I have in it is being returned to best buy so I can put my current (cheaper) 1080 into it as I have a 1080ti on the way for my regular computer

I do have a small issue with this CPU, Nicehash doesn't seem to find it to mine with. It seems to meet all the requirements I could find (specifically AES instruction set and "not old"). I've seen it generally not recommend to mine with the CPU but this is a 35W TDP CPU and so far CPU mining has gained me about 10% on top. Even my OC'd 6600k uses 30 more watts over not using it which has totally been worth it so I'd like to CPU mine if possible.

edit: (oh yeah, windows 10 evaluation and an old ssd I pulled from my main computer I never use). Its also dead silent at 100% load, puts my main computer to shame

Godspeed you huge retard

Honestly if you can get it to mine without being a huge fire hazard, more power to you

Speaking of fire hazards are you sure that cheapo PSU is fine for it? Other than that, good luck

Btw I read today that they're definitely halving the rewards for miners in ETH, going it goes up in value to make up for it, and then going to PoS

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

take out a loan on your 401k to buy as many as possible, the returns are greater that way

Paperwork is already in motion!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Godspeed you huge retard

Honestly if you can get it to mine without being a huge fire hazard, more power to you

Speaking of fire hazards are you sure that cheapo PSU is fine for it? Other than that, good luck

Btw I read today that they're definitely halving the rewards for miners in ETH, going it goes up in value to make up for it, and then going to PoS

The goal was cheap as humanely possible without being an imminent fire hazard. I believe i accomplished this. Oh and be a decent computer which i far exceeded my goals there

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E1...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is the PSU which was new and the whole setup probably uses 200 watts but i didnt put a kilawatt on yet

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I thought Best Buy doesn't allow returns on open GPUs?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Godinster posted:

They do afaik if its within the tiny return window of 14 days. At worst I might get slapped with a 15% restocking fee at which point it'll go straight to ebay, no harm, I wont make a fuss about it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Godinster posted:

You thought wrong dude.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Is it normal to wait for days for a deposit from nicehash to show on coinbase? I have my first deposit from the 27th showing as completed and verified in the transaction history but my balance remains 0, which goes against coinbase's self-help that any verified deposits are available quickly after verification.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

metallicaeg posted:

Is it normal to wait for days for a deposit from nicehash to show on coinbase? I have my first deposit from the 27th showing as completed and verified in the transaction history but my balance remains 0, which goes against coinbase's self-help that any verified deposits are available quickly after verification.

Did you send your buttcoins to the correct wallet address?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

a few fitment issues lol (nothing a hacksaw didnt solve)

$0 - 4 GB drawer ram

This is a good thing, CPU mining has a negative RROI across the board

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Has anyone used coincards.ca?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Don Lapre posted:

Did you send your buttcoins to the correct wallet address?

Yes, it's coinbase itself that shows "Received bitcoin/from bitcoin address". Coinbase shows it in the transaction history but my wallet balance has never shown the deposit.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

This is a good thing, CPU mining has a negative RROI across the board

Ill keep lookimg into it but it costs me 30 watts max, much less so with this new crap build which only has a 35 watt TDP in total. At those rates that 30 cents a day is costing me 5 cents in power. The issue im seeing is that the cpu is working to some moderate degree anyway. Certainly a standalone idle cpu to cpu mining max on say a 125 watt cpu would be dumb but as of now its firmly worth doing in terms of roi in my case

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1806061.0

:staredog: Garage/Shed datacentre with 550 amp service :staredog:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

mmm i'd love to buy those gpus used. the sweltering plywood shack aging process really brings out the pixels and makes them really, incredibly good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Ill keep lookimg into it but it costs me 30 watts max, much less so with this new crap build which only has a 35 watt TDP in total. At those rates that 30 cents a day is costing me 5 cents in power. The issue im seeing is that the cpu is working to some moderate degree anyway. Certainly a standalone idle cpu to cpu mining max on say a 125 watt cpu would be dumb but as of now its firmly worth doing in terms of roi in my case

Get a Killawatt and measure the power draw at idle vs load. TDP stands for thermal design power and is an estimate of the maximum waste heat you can expect to have to deal with when running normal CPU-bound applications. This is less than the amount of power that your system is pulling from the wall when you CPU mine.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Where I live, we've had two record breaking summers in a row and are on pace for a third.

This guy is partly responsible for me sweating my rear end off, literally droplets of sweat dripping down the crack of my rear end like Niagara, during the 10 minute walk between the train station and my office building. I walk into the office and it's seriously like that scene from the Lion King where Pumba farts and every animal on the god drat African plains turns their head to look at him, except instead of buttgas it's sweatsmell made from buttcoins.

Motherfucker I could kill him seriously jfc just sell me some of them used GPUs on the cheap and we good brother I need more junk food coupons

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 1, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Get a Killawatt and measure the power draw at idle vs load. TDP stands for thermal design power and is an estimate of the maximum waste heat you can expect to have to deal with when running normal CPU-bound applications. This is less than the amount of power that your system is pulling from the wall when you CPU mine.

That is where im getting my rough figures. For example from the wall my aystem draws 300-310 watts when GPU mining. If i add CPU mining it goes up to 330 watts. The CPU seems to be engaged when GPU mining only just not running at full power, but that difference isnt much. I think the idea that CPU mining isnt worth it comes from comparing idle power draw to mining power draw which isnt realistic (at this scale)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My 1080ti came last week, my 1070 is bidding at 400$ (paid 300 40 days ago) on eBay and my office is so hot. I love coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How many of you pay for your electricity

• Locked thread