Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PT6A posted:

How is it that "economy" manufacturers like Honda and Ford feel they have to squeeze every last red cent out of any good car they accidentally stumble into making, yet Mercedes Benz will happily treat any AMG as a normal-rear end car and negotiate on it the same as they would any other? If you have more demand for really good cars, that can justify charging a premium, just build more of them! There must be something I'm missing...

It's got very little to do with the OEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol yes Ford and Mercedes have the same overall markets.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Ford and Honda et. al's profit margins are much lower on stuff like the RS and the Civic Type R. This is due to a lot of R&D needing to go onto those models, and the fact that they can't charge like $60k for them. That's why they dare not make more than they absolutely think they can sell. If they have excess stock and have to discount, that's a loss.

For stuff like Merc AMG's, the base car is already there and they just put a tuned engine from higher up their engine lineup, some suspension & exhaust, and body kit pieces, and there's your AMG (that was very simplified but you get the point).

It takes less for Merc to go from an e350 to an e55 AMG than it does for Ford to go from a FoST to a Focus RS.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's also the fact that loving nobody bought a focus rs much less any focus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's also the fact that loving nobody bought a focus rs much less any focus.

I bought a Focus RS.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KillHour posted:

I bought a Focus RS.

Same.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Autotrader shows 1676 new Focus RS' available in the US.

Some dealers still have them listed at $60k and up. I think there might be some deals to be had on these at the start of 2018 if there's some left over.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Test drove both the DSG and manual GTI today. Didn't like the feel of the clutch at all (been spoiled by my last two Hondas), so I went with the white SE w/ DSG I looked at on the lot last Sunday.

Feels very weird to drive a car that has low-end power after a 17 year stint in the church of VTEC where the party doesn't start til 5600RPM. The Fender stereo is very nice (not to mention loud as gently caress).

Overall the car feels much more solid than my Si. I think I'm gonna be quite happy with it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm gonna try the sport with dsg tomorrow morning and make a decision, begone bmws!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Protip: You can rent a VAGCOM cable for $20-30 on Ebay. Definitely worth it to get some coding done - roll up/down the windows from the fob, fogs on with high beams, passenger mirror dip in reverse, etc

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Protip: The clutch feels a lot better with the clutch delay valve and clutch return spring removed. It still doesn't feel right, but it's a massive improvement.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Kill all delay valves and most clutch springs

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I really want a 1st gen Mazdaspeed3 but there are 100 GTIs and Cooper S' for every one MS3 in my price range.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The MS3 is such a loving hoot to drive.

Also I got my Fiesta back last Friday. Accident happened on 5/12 car returned on 6/23 after much back and forth with the insurance. I went to a tiny mom and pop shop and they loving killed it. Damages were just shy of 8k. Anyone have any experience getting a diminished value check? Having nearly half the kbb value in damage has to warrant something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really want a 1st gen Mazdaspeed3 but there are 100 GTIs and Cooper S' for every one MS3 in my price range.

G1 MS3's are such good looking hatches. Especially in white. Maybe join the MS Owners FB group? People tend to list cars for sale quite frequently.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

WescottF1 posted:

Test drove both the DSG and manual GTI today. Didn't like the feel of the clutch at all (been spoiled by my last two Hondas), so I went with the white SE w/ DSG I looked at on the lot last Sunday.

Feels very weird to drive a car that has low-end power after a 17 year stint in the church of VTEC where the party doesn't start til 5600RPM. The Fender stereo is very nice (not to mention loud as gently caress).

Overall the car feels much more solid than my Si. I think I'm gonna be quite happy with it.

Congrats! You will love the car.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've really been missing my 08 lately. Such an awesome car and I'll never find one as clean again. They're all hosed with by now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Protip: The clutch feels a lot better with the clutch delay valve and clutch return spring removed. It still doesn't feel right, but it's a massive improvement.

I've taken off the spring but I'm waffling on punching out the OEM valve restrictor or getting the ECS model. Did you have to top up the reservoir after doing it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I've taken off the spring but I'm waffling on punching out the OEM valve restrictor or getting the ECS model. Did you have to top up the reservoir after doing it?

Yeah. Might want to grab a speedbleeder at the same time for it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh man the DSG is so good think I'm gonna do it

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

BraveUlysses posted:

:getin:

If you're not dedicated to a manual, it really is a simple pleasure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

I seen dat facebook post, nice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Has VW added an indicator when launch control is disabled on the DSG GTIs yet? When my friend had his and we took it to the drag strip we couldn't figure out why we were so bad at getting it to launch properly until years later when I heard some auto journalist pointing out that it wouldn't engage if it wasn't perfectly happy, but it won't tell you that either.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

opengl128 posted:

I've really been missing my 08 lately. Such an awesome car and I'll never find one as clean again. They're all hosed with by now.

Same

It'd only done like 60k km too

Replaced it with a boring, sensible 2016 model and I often regret it :(

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

dissss posted:

Same

It'd only done like 60k km too

Replaced it with a boring, sensible 2016 model and I often regret it :(

Yep, the best-looking generation of those cars -- if it was standing still you only knew it was a Mazdaspeed from the outside by the hood creases for intercooler airflow and the higher-but-not-obnoxiously-high wing. No mistaking it for a regular one once it was running, though. Ours was also a Cosmic Blue Mica, and it looked great. Loved it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't miss mine but I do miss what it was. If I had the room I'd grab some sort of hot or warm hatch again. Just maybe one not nearly as expensive as the MS3 to run.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Mine was admittedly low mileage but it didn't cost me anything out of the ordinary to run - fuel economy was almost the same as my partners normal n/a 2l and nothing went wrong.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Ours ended up with a persistent rear suspension knock, but that was after the divorce and no longer was my car to worry about. She finally traded it in with over 120,000 miles on it, maybe a year and a half ago, in sorta rough physical condition from being used for archaeological fieldwork, but still with a lot of miles left on it. I hope its new owner enjoys it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I did it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

Mine was admittedly low mileage but it didn't cost me anything out of the ordinary to run - fuel economy was almost the same as my partners normal n/a 2l and nothing went wrong.

Same, but yeah sold mine with under 50k on it. I did always have smoking turbo and VVT issues in the back of my mind.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good job, but why are you posting on the internet instead of driving it?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

:iia:

Welcome to the turbo Ford hatch crew.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
White STs best ST. Nice car.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

opengl128 posted:

Same, but yeah sold mine with under 50k on it. I did always have smoking turbo and VVT issues in the back of my mind.

So one with 150k+ on it is a bad idea?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KillHour posted:

Good job, but why are you posting on the internet instead of driving it?

Had to spend some time at home after I got the car to make amends with the wife. LOL

Neither of us were expecting me to get a brand new car yesterday. I was the only one who was actually excited about it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Guy at work got his Type R. Initial thoughts are it definitely looks too busy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So one with 150k+ on it is a bad idea?

It's not like those are unfixable things, but if I was going to buy an MS3 with that kind of mileage, I'd probably plan on budgeting for a turbo and timing.

And yes, I fully lost the reliability lottery on mine. Throttle body, wheel bearing that wouldn't let go of a stub axle, shifter cables and transmission seal right before a road trip, upper engine mount... Only the last one was something I could even replace with an upgrade. It had developed an intermittent miss at high load and the air conditioning worked like poo poo when I traded it in.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not like those are unfixable things, but if I was going to buy an MS3 with that kind of mileage, I'd probably plan on budgeting for a turbo and timing.

And yes, I fully lost the reliability lottery on mine. Throttle body, wheel bearing that wouldn't let go of a stub axle, shifter cables and transmission seal right before a road trip, upper engine mount... Only the last one was something I could even replace with an upgrade. It had developed an intermittent miss at high load and the air conditioning worked like poo poo when I traded it in.

Jesus, that sucks. Ours was hit pretty badly in an accident, and afterward had a transient problem afterward where it would cut power dramatically and/or stall -- a belt was slowly cutting through a misrouted post-repair hose. When we took that elsewhere (on the insurance company's dime, of course) it turned out the place the insurance company had chosen for the repairs also had hacked together a bastard wiring harness, so the replacement was on backorder for a month. Still, other than that mystery knock in the rear, it was really reliable for us and really fun. Not too shabby in the snow, either, with Blizzaks on it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Guy at work got his Type R. Initial thoughts are it definitely looks too busy.

really? imo it seems less busy than the gti

i did a white car thing yesterday

only gripe so far is that i either scuffed one of the wheels a little bit or didnt notice it was scuffed before i left the lot :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

really? imo it seems less busy than the gti

You're talking about the Type R right? It has like 6 spoilers and 20 fake air vents. How can the GTI even come close to being that over-styled?