Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hannibal Rex posted:

Using yawp at the start of a fight seems counter-productive to me due to the damage debuff, unless you're willing to blow through a bunch of herbs. Am I missing out on something here? I usually have her rush attack ready, but I only use it if she gets knocked out of the front line, or my party is surprised.

In theory the fight isn't going on long enough for it to be an issue. Yawp, kill someone non stunned with your other heroes, then on the next turn yawp again or bleed in which case the damage debuff didn't really affect you much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah that is another instance of the flow of combat not matching skill design
I really feel like they had a good concept in mind but kind of left a half-assed idea in place. Since the Hellion is great in spite of this, it doesn't hold her back which is probably why they never bothered to do something about it.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I would like it if the skills put a debuff relevant to the move's use; YAWP! reducing stun chance, Bleed Out reducing damage and bleed chance, and Breakthrough reducing accuracy or lowering move resistance.

Alternatively, Adrenaline Rush removing debuffs would be pretty cool too.

Lln

These are good ideas too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So uh, what the gently caress are you supposed to do against the Shrieker? I sent my level 5s to get back my trinkets and didn't know what to expect since I'd never fought it before. Well it brought 3 of my characters to death's door with crit pecks from full HP. One of them failed the bleed check and passed away, my first death of the campaign. I got it down to half HP through pure luck since it could of easily killed my party but then it flew away or some poo poo.

What the hell, that was my only Houndmaster :saddowns:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Internet Kraken posted:

So uh, what the gently caress are you supposed to do against the Shrieker? I sent my level 5s to get back my trinkets and didn't know what to expect since I'd never fought it before. Well it brought 3 of my characters to death's door with crit pecks from full HP. One of them failed the bleed check and passed away, my first death of the campaign. I got it down to half HP through pure luck since it could of easily killed my party but then it flew away or some poo poo.

Destroy the nest, that's all you need to get your stuff back you don't have to actually kill the shrieker.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I've fought the shrieker twice, both times with level 3-4 people. Couldn't say I did anything in particular, the bird itself has pretty high dodge so an occultist isn't a bad idea to debuff it. Both times I just pretty much ignored the bird and killed the nest. A few turns later the bird flew off and it counted as a victory. :shrug:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maybe if they lowered stress build up people wouldn't *have* to nuke the back rows so fast. But risk getting afflictions over the course of the dungeon

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe if they lowered stress build up people wouldn't *have* to nuke the back rows so fast. But risk getting afflictions over the course of the dungeon

Yeah, when every cup fucker can do like 1/5 the necessary stress per attack to make you go mad, you gotta kill cup fucker first.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm surprised Mark abilities aren't one use permanent deals. It would make them great vs bosses, especially since there are several trinkets that specifically give bonuses vs marked targets.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Panfilo posted:

I'm surprised Mark abilities aren't one use permanent deals. It would make them great vs bosses, especially since there are several trinkets that specifically give bonuses vs marked targets.

They're still great against bosses if you build a party around it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Meridian posted:

They're still great against bosses if you build a party around it.

No doubt, but they expire faster vs multi action bosses. For a boss that takes 3 actions a round that means it'll wear off in one turn :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm fine with mark wearing off fast against some bosses. If that wasn't the case then mark would be universally effective. Its already really strong in certain fights.

Also just beat the midlevel Necromancer in two rounds. I really wish they would buff this poor bastard. He's a trivial boss up until champion where he might actually be difficult, but only if he summons the fat skeleton. Otherwise he's still a chump.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just make him the Bone Bearer on steroids, with a passive buff on the skeletons he summons. Maybe summon more at a time occasionally.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

loving hell. I thought I would try out an abomination on a short easy mission to see what they are like along with my other 0-1-2 dudes that I hadn't used much. We got ambushed by a collecter guy and the aboms stress hosed absolutely everything up. 1st round he panicked and turned selfish, autocancelling his transform for the fight and making it so that he's scaring my whole party all the time while contributing gently caress all and messing up my formation plans. 1st retreat attempt fails and my bounty hunter panics and goes masochistic which blocks me every subsequent time. I somehow managed to win after a bit of luck and contantly juggling death's door on 3 guys but my antiquer died rip.

Anyway gently caress abominations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Panfilo posted:

No doubt, but they expire faster vs multi action bosses. For a boss that takes 3 actions a round that means it'll wear off in one turn :(

Yeah, Baron specifically? I haven't beat him yet but I'm still pondering how I want to tackle him.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Meridian posted:

Yeah, Baron specifically? I haven't beat him yet but I'm still pondering how I want to tackle him.

Yeah, marks and debuffs are basically useless against him. I still won with a mark-heavy team but I think I exploited the mark itself once total.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Assuming you don't have an Antiquarian, is a full stack of any gem always worth more than a stack of gold?

Meridian posted:

Riposte and guarding are really good against him. I had to fight him again due to a save mismanagement and actually brought an Antiquarian to the fight to guard my Highway man for the riposte combo. Despite getting really bad egg RNG (he came out first everytime...) I was able to beat him without a single death's door.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Meridian posted:

Absolutely you want bleeds. You should be bringing along a Plague Doctor with battlefield medicine anyway, but the Baron feels specifically designed to maximize the effectiveness of the Flagellant.

Your party would probably look something like Vestal/Highwayman/Plague Doctor/Flagellant. Set up Riposte on the Highwayman and start opening some veins.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Assuming you don't have an Antiquarian, is a full stack of any gem always worth more than a stack of gold?

Citrines are not. Jade is, but only by a very narrow amount at max stack.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Only ditch a stack of gold in favour of Sapphires or Rubies. Emeralds maybe. Onyx only if you have 1/2 or more of the dungeon to go. Everything else is junk.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Ripostes are probably really good against the Baron, what with his 3 attacks. I eventually beat him by forgoing healing entirely, but it was rough. I think a vestal with healing trinkets spamming the group heal might keep up with him, after you kill all the eggs. It's always gonna be a bit RNG though, if he's in the first egg you break every time then you might be hosed no matter what.

I'd be worried about bringing a Flagellant incase he was locked out of his big heal/nuke by the eggs at a crucial moment, but I didn't try one personally.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought Sanguine Vinters was a waste but I just realized if you build it you don't have to care about looting THE BLOOD ever again because you'll just get enough from it naturally :downs:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Absolutely you want bleeds. You should be bringing along a Plague Doctor with battlefield medicine anyway, but the Baron feels specifically designed to maximize the effectiveness of the Flagellant.

Your party would probably look something like Vestal/Highwayman/Plague Doctor/Flagellant. Set up Riposte on the Highwayman and start opening some veins.

First time I went in was with a man at arms in 4th slot which didn't end up paying off. Seems like you need to be able to eliminate the eggs quickly to get heals back up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It sounds like non-Radiant difficulty is more of a pain than interesting? Like, Jesters aren't bad on Radiant :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

It sounds like non-Radiant difficulty is more of a pain than interesting? Like, Jesters aren't bad on Radiant :v:

Jesters are basically a meme at this point, the hatred is exaggerated for comic effect.

Bear in mind though that when people talk strategy and optimization it is usually geared towards the late game where difficulty ramps up. At low levels even jesters and lepers will absolutely clean house.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

It depends entirely on how much you like the gameplay and if a longer game sounds fine to you. I haven't played on Radiant but I wouldn't really want the game to be shorter. Thing is, the game doesn't take that long relative to most strategy games if you don't burden yourself with unnecessary grind. A good example of this is people running with giant rosters. You only need 16 heroes to beat the entire game. when you go over that number you will have to spend more time leveling up heroes, which makes the game longer. If you keep your roster small people level up quicker and its easier to get into the DD. When I did my NG+ run I only used 20 heroes and never felt like I needed more.

Honestly its mostly a preference thing though. Whether or not you play Radiant should depend on your past track record with strategy games and if you've had the patience to actually finish them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Religious characters should relieve stress by burning books.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Radiant is as fast as you play the game. I meander so radiant isn't fast but it's differences do accommodate my slap together a team each week for the mission with a trinket I like style

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is the new expansion

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

It has 63 goddamn dodge so you basically have to just stack accuracy and also pray a lot, because it automatically leaves after round 4. In addition to stacking accuracy on everyone I used a highway man and man at arms to put up ripostes for as many extra swings as possible, along with an occultist and arbalist. MAA can use command on the first turn to put up an accuracy buff for basically the whole fight. Vulnerability hex is debatably worth it even though it will only last for one complete round--it will get the team up to hitting most of the time for a round, help out ripostes, and potentially double the arbalist's damage for that round.

For obvious reasons, only supplies you need are bandages. And I guess blood now if you're fighting it with nasties.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
You don't even need to kill the shrieker or break the nest to get your trinkets back, you just need to survive until he flies away

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anybody here played pitch black dungeon and if so can you summarize what it does

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Soothing Vapors posted:

You don't even need to kill the shrieker or break the nest to get your trinkets back, you just need to survive until he flies away

Do you get anything for actually killing the shrieker? I could of done it if I didn't lost my houndsmaster on round 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you get to watch that lovely pigeon die

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

do cursed people have to eat regular food too

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

do cursed people have to eat regular food too

Yes!

Although, sometimes, it actually reduces their health. Good luck figuring out when that'll happen! (it's when they're craving that tasty red drink.)

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

eonwe posted:

how is the new expansion

Some small gripes, but overall quite fun. Adds a cool and strong new class that fills a really interesting role, a bunch of new enemies that you will soon find yourself fighting everywhere, and an entirely new, massive dungeon with many new bosses and minibosses.

Also, The C R I M S O N C U R S E, which is difficult to manage at first but not impossible if you are diligent with your blood collection.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The big thing with the curse is that it won't spread until you do the first courtyard quest. Use that time to build up a blood reserve and you'll never be at risk of running dry.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

a collector who only summons collected jesters and silently weeps until his inevitable demise

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you get anything for actually killing the shrieker? I could of done it if I didn't lost my houndsmaster on round 2.

As far as I can tell, by killing it you avoid the massive stress at the end, which improves your odds of getting one of the unique positive Shrieker quirks on your heroes. Two of them are great, and the last one gives you a pretty good defense against the Crimson Curse, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone on your team gets a corvid quirk if you kill it. Many of them are pointless rubbish like increased disease resistance in the dark, but I got one that was +8% Acc, +8% Scouting which was P. nice. Another advantage is that the Shrieker doesn't get to use its exit move and give everyone an affliction that you have to drink/pray/whip/suck away.

The nest is a better target, honestly, unless you somehow no longer need gold.