Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I loving finally got TNO to work and it's really good, but man, BJ kept some pretty sick muscle tone for being pretty much immobile for 14 years. Like even if he was walking assisted and stuff you are not that ripped after 14 years in a wheelchair

I did a few Steroids runs in NT to 3-?, then switched to robot to do the same. I got a screwdriver in two runs - once after the portal spawned on the car, and one time I had everything I needed, switched to the screwdriver and my brain went back into Steroids mode so I right clicked :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

On one hand it's nice because it means that Torbjorn doesn't have the sheer game changing power as an engineer does. But at the same time if you go Torb and none of your tanks protect your turret, a mildly alert enemy team can basically keep you on lockdown meaning you basically have to switch because you'll never get your turret up to level two for more than a few seconds again.

Yeah, Turrets are meant to be more disposable than Sentry Guns.

I can understand why it feels this way to me: the maps are overall smaller in Overwatch than TF2 so you're never supposed to be hunkered down to one location for so long that the game goes into deadlock. It's why things that would be necessary build orders for the Engineer to make in TF2 are more like powerups in Overwatch. I think it's better overall as well since everyone has an ultimate that could potentially change the tide of the game instead of relying on maybe the Medic + whatever power class they pocketed to build an Uber and break through defenses.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I personally enjoyed the wars of attrition that could build up in TF2 as a result of the longer game timers, so the breakneck pace of Overwatch actually really bothered me. Each character feels disposable in OW, as swapping is a core conceit of the match design, and it led to me feeling far less able to express myself mechanically than I could in TF2.

I think OW is well designed but every match felt really forgettable. The pace was a huge thing dragging the experience down for me. Objectively not a bad game though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BioEnchanted posted:

I decided to play a bit of Portal Stories: Mel tonight, but while it has aspects that I liked vis-a-vis the sense of humour, the fanmade jank crept in fairly early. The VA for Cave Johnson was alright at first if an obvious impression, but after a bit the accent slipped and broke it's neck and he was suddenly obviously german/swedish/whatever.

Keep playing. :ssh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

John Murdoch posted:

Keep playing. :ssh:

Yeah, I've got to the new facility now and met him properly. on Chapter 3 so I know what's up. Cute, should have guessed. I'm still finding some aspects of the puzzles a bit weird though, I think it's just a lack of polish in the environment design, it can be easy to get lost if you don't know what you're looking for. Or... maybe I'm just an idiot :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Glukeose posted:

I personally enjoyed the wars of attrition that could build up in TF2 as a result of the longer game timers, so the breakneck pace of Overwatch actually really bothered me. Each character feels disposable in OW, as swapping is a core conceit of the match design, and it led to me feeling far less able to express myself mechanically than I could in TF2.

I think OW is well designed but every match felt really forgettable. The pace was a huge thing dragging the experience down for me. Objectively not a bad game though.

I felt that swapping was a core design choice in (classic) TF2 and "wars of attrition" only really happened when people were stubborn and refused to swap (e.g. played spy or sniper and were really bad at it).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RagnarokAngel posted:

I felt that swapping was a core design choice in (classic) TF2 and "wars of attrition" only really happened when people were stubborn and refused to swap (e.g. played spy or sniper and were really bad at it).

I'm pretty sure this is exactly why Overwatch has such low timers on its stages. Because while it encourages you to swap if you're in a position where you are getting your rear end kicked, they know most people won't. So instead of watching a team of scouts and snipers die to a wall of engineers for like ten minutes, it's all very short unless it's relatively close matched and you wind up on over time for like half an hour.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I did it once and it didn't save and now I can't seem to manage to kill two soldiers with a single grenade when I remember to try. Those nazis might have nonexistent peripherals and are surprisingly unconcerned when they hear their comrade's deathrattles, but they can put on a good turn of speed when they feel like it. I wouldn't mind if it didn't gate every other perk in that line.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly why Overwatch has such low timers on its stages. Because while it encourages you to swap if you're in a position where you are getting your rear end kicked, they know most people won't. So instead of watching a team of scouts and snipers die to a wall of engineers for like ten minutes, it's all very short unless it's relatively close matched and you wind up on over time for like half an hour.

No Sniper worth their salt can't dome an Engie while they're buffing their Sentry Gun.

The timers and maps overall in Overwatch are shorter than TF2 to encourage more combat and less dead zones like walking back to the front line. Payloads in OW take less than five to ten seconds to return to the payload from spawn while TF2 could take you like twenty to thirty depending on how slow your class moves and whether there are teleporters built. Also, the Payload maps' checkpoints in OW are blocked off by physical gates to make sure the game is focused on the payload and not potentially all over the map like some of the bigger pl maps in TF2 could encourage.

I've never been on a pub server where people stuck with classes out of stubborness in TF2. Most pub servers I've been on had players who knew two or three classes well enough to switch out when the situation called for it. Overwatch has been the only time I've seen people be lovely about who picks what because of the MOBA-like team makeup the game rates when everyone's making picks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

I've never been on a pub server where people stuck with classes out of stubborness in TF2. Most pub servers I've been on had players who knew two or three classes well enough to switch out when the situation called for it. Overwatch has been the only time I've seen people be lovely about who picks what because of the MOBA-like team makeup the game rates when everyone's making picks.

And it's basically always a Hanzo. It's become a goddamn rule of nature. Any time your team is desperately in need of a tank or healer, you can be guaranteed there's a Hanzo there who will stubbornly refuse to switch away. :argh:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I kind of wish games like Overwatch wouldn't even have healers or (pure) tanks. Just make every class be about killing dudes in different ways, since that's what almost everyone wants to do anyway. Ending up on a team with no healer isn't some kind of interesting team build decision, it just sucks.

Basically your teammates are always going to be unhelpful idiots, so you'd might as well design the game to take that into account.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Healers are dragging overwatch down for me. Sure they add all sorts of tactics and depth supposedly to the game but they absolutely ruin my experience.

I quit playing when I realized I had 3 options every game.

1. Slam pick a dps and feel like an rear end in a top hat.
2. Pick a hero that is objectively unfun to play and try and contribute to the comp and win the game.
3. Lose

It's completely not fun after a point.

(also the balancing is a joke and the dev team clearly has literally 0 idea what they're doing)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tanks are basically about killing dudes in other ways already, you want to be a big durable guy and also provide some benefits to your side, but you still tear people up well. Even Reinhardt, probably the purest tank, caves heads in once he's in the fight.

But yeah every game still needing most of their support characters to be dedicated supports, who have to support and JUST support, is a design that needs to go away.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Perestroika posted:

And it's basically always a Hanzo. It's become a goddamn rule of nature. Any time your team is desperately in need of a tank or healer, you can be guaranteed there's a Hanzo there who will stubbornly refuse to switch away. :argh:

I literally just had this in a competitive game. Hanzo immediately demanded someone go healer but refused to switch because "I'm not a healer" and spent the rest of the match bitching about the team and calling everyone trash when someone went zenyatta. We wound up winning. At no point did anyone on the team see him anywhere near the payload in either of the two matches. But hey, he had most eliminations somehow.

Agent355 posted:

Healers are dragging overwatch down for me. Sure they add all sorts of tactics and depth supposedly to the game but they absolutely ruin my experience.

I don't mind healers in general. Zenyatta can actually really do great as damage, his debuff is good and can scare people into hiding. I'm awful with Ana but her sleep and healing debuff are excellent. Lucio's speed and knockback are excellent assets.

Then there's Mercy. It sucks to fight against a team with Mercy because she has a super fast charging ult that basically just undoes a lost battle. It doesn't necessarily turn a loss into a win or anything. It just means that fight they just lost didn't happen and now you have to kill everyone again. Given her near complete lack of offensive capability, most mercies just spend their time hiding and waiting for that revive to pop up too, which makes it suck to have one on your team because you can desperately need health but you're better off running to get a health pack for all the good relying on a mercy will do you at times.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found a weird bug in Horizon. When I took out my third Tallneck, I got it's datascan thingy, but a bit later I also got another Tallneck datascan that I hadn't done. It gave me the fourth one for no reason, which is really annoying as my collectibles are now desynched with my progress until I finish the Tallnecks. Also an intentional decision that I don't like: when investigating the Carja traitor camp to find Erend's sister I was disappointed that you couldn't override the tied down machines before you release them. I got all up in a Ravager's butt, who hadn't been alerted yet, and I have done the Cauldron Rho to unlock that override, but the prompt wouldn't come up, which spoiled the tactical part of the mission.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I unironically love playing healers dont take that poo poo away from me. :mad:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The problem is that they're required in numbers that are higher than the players who want to play them.

A third of a team needs to be healers in the current meta, less than a third of the population wants to play healers. This is a real problem.

You can balance it so only a sixth of the team needs to be a healer, but thats too complex for blizz devs so :shrug:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I unironically love playing healers dont take that poo poo away from me. :mad:

Medic was my poo poo in TF2 (also scout), support characters are the best. I haven't gotten overwatch and I'm not sure I want to but it's always real tempting.

PYF thing dragging a game I haven't played in years down: Hey I'm a scout I have the tied least health of anyone in the game and I'm on fire can you please heal me. Yes you, the medic, the one with the heal gun, I need you to heal me so I don't die. I don't want to be rude but I am now spamming the 'please god heal me' emote because I am seriously about to die and you are right there, with a heal gun, not healing me. Ok well I'm dead now but I'm sure that heavy you're pocketing really appreciated the 100% overheal uptime. Eventually I learned to just pray that no one had taken the nearest health packs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gitro posted:

Medic was my poo poo in TF2 (also scout), support characters are the best. I haven't gotten overwatch and I'm not sure I want to but it's always real tempting..

Mercy is the tf2 medic with more mobility. Its great.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's amazing that there are so few competitive multiplayer shooters and that the ones that are out there inevitably bomb and go free-to-play within a year, because you'd think if some average shmuck on the internet knew more about multiplayer balance and objective fun than a huge experienced team at Blizzard that spent years developing and tweaking and exhaustively playtesting everything then it would be piss easy to just get them to design everything for you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't think there's a dash button for the Pocket Netherworld in Disgaea 5 Complete and that bugs me way, way more than it should.

Agent355 posted:

(also the balancing is a joke and the dev team clearly has literally 0 idea what they're doing)

jeeeesus christ

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
RE: Sniper Elite silenced weapons being better and available by default.

I remember when I played MGSV through, the tranq pistol is the best and silenced and "kills" in one headshot (you can kidnap enemies and force them to work for you), and there's a bajillion loud lovely guns to unlock but no reason to kill anyone because of the Pokeman aspect of collecting soldiers. Then people flock to the internet to relay that it's a commentary on the futility or war or some poo poo. It probably is because Kojima is a freak genius, but I always thought it was so unnecessarily obtuse.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Firstborn posted:

I remember when I played MGSV through, the tranq pistol is the best and silenced and "kills" in one headshot (you can kidnap enemies and force them to work for you), and there's a bajillion loud lovely guns to unlock but no reason to kill anyone because of the Pokeman aspect of collecting soldiers. Then people flock to the internet to relay that it's a commentary on the futility or war or some poo poo. It probably is because Kojima is a freak genius, but I always thought it was so unnecessarily obtuse.

Nah B, Kojima is a milsperg and has never been happier with shoving in every gun he possibly can as long as it's accurate to the era (and even then he'll forego historical accuracy with being loving cool). It's been that way since MGS4.

Also the SKULLS pretty much require you to research lethal weapons since they're built like brick shithouses. You can stamina kill them but more often not you're gonna die if you're in a real fight with them since they always hunt in packs.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I've domed a Widowmaker with Mercy's pistol and Imma tell you there's no better feel in the game.

Perestroika posted:

ahahaha it's always loving Hanzo.

Triarii posted:

I kind of wish games like Overwatch wouldn't even have healers or (pure) tanks. Just make every class be about killing dudes in different ways, since that's what almost everyone wants to do anyway. Ending up on a team with no healer isn't some kind of interesting team build decision, it just sucks.

Basically your teammates are always going to be unhelpful idiots, so you'd might as well design the game to take that into account.

I like that the game is trying to encourage teams to be diverse and cover different roles. Classes being more self-reliant in TF2 have lead to people just not paying attention to team makeup and you end up with duplicate support classes who could have been Medics pocketing other power classes because Ubers get poo poo done.

And even if people did pick Medics, there was a time even that wasn't a guarantee you'd have a healer because Battle Medics were an ugly trend during the first Australian Christmas update.

I know this last bit sounds like the complete opposite of what I'm talking about, but the teams in TF2 are larger than the 5 V 5 spread in most OW games so you wouldn't notice the weak spots in TF2 teams unless the balance was really loving bad. I'd always keep track of what classes we had every time I'd respawn and switch to whatever we were missing until other people switched roles and I figured we could handle the fight.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jul 1, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

One more nitpicky thing about Disgaea 5 Complete - it comes with all the DLC for everything which includes mini quests to get the main characters of Disgaea 1-4 as well as some of NIS's other games....but nothing from the best one, Zettai Hero Project. :(

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Action Tortoise posted:

Nah B, Kojima is a milsperg and has never been happier with shoving in every gun he possibly can as long as it's accurate to the era (and even then he'll forego historical accuracy with being loving cool). It's been that way since MGS4.

Also the SKULLS pretty much require you to research lethal weapons since they're built like brick shithouses. You can stamina kill them but more often not you're gonna die if you're in a real fight with them since they always hunt in packs.

While this is somewhat true if you're doing the event fob or something, there's always a way to cheese the skulls. You can actually gas them, use turrets, sneak past them. I'm trying to think of a time you had to straight up fight them and coming up blank.
Youtube is rife with "easy way to beat skull unit" videos. That being said I play it the same way I do all stealth games: when found, I'm going loud. You don't want to find Snake.

There was a guy on youtube who had insane videos where he would drop tanks on people and stuff, but can't seem to remember his name now.

E: His videos were seriously impressive. He knew the AI inside and out and did hilarious stuff. I'll find it.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Jul 1, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You need to fight them in mission 30 no?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Found it. Dude's name is BIGSARU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdS8Wc9kCw&t=2s

Check out the videos in his channel.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Firstborn posted:

While this is somewhat true if you're doing the event fob or something, there's always a way to cheese the skulls. You can actually gas them, use turrets, sneak past them. I'm trying to think of a time you had to straight up fight them and coming up blank.
Youtube is rife with "easy way to beat skull unit" videos. That being said I play it the same way I do all stealth games: when found, I'm going loud. You don't want to find Snake.

There was a guy on youtube who had insane videos where he would drop tanks on people and stuff, but can't seem to remember his name now.

E: His videos were seriously impressive. He knew the AI inside and out and did hilarious stuff. I'll find it.

That time in the dust storm gave me a helluva time. Maybe I missed something?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Firstborn posted:

The simplest solution is the most direct, and there ain't nothing more direct than a bullet through their armor.

The game doesn't recognize them as alive as it would other enemies. They're a chance to cut loose if you've been nonlethal for the rest of the game. I'm pretty sure when soldiers are infected by the mist they're treated the same way.

And I'm not kidding about how beefy they can be. The best weapons against them are literally anti-materiel rifles. Two to three headshots and they're down.

Also regarding your earlier point about weapon development being a statement, in MGS4 it was supposed to take the war economy from the story and incorporate it into the gameplay. There actually was a point to having so many guns you'd never really use in that game. Guns were locked away if you acquired them because they required ID tags and you'd have to clear them with Drebin in order to use them. The point of the guns in the game was that it was an embarrassment of riches to have all these weapons when all you need most of the time was a tranq pistol.

MGSV referenced the burgeoning war economy in some tapes and the idea behind weapon development is that it's the beginning of the war economy of the last game yet explored more thoroughly. In order to get the right kind of gun you want in the field, you have to research all the necessary base weapons to get the right parts to fit with your desired platforms. And you had to use your funds wisely to get the most out of the system.

It's an economy built from war, you see.

Narratively, it's a simpler form of the MGS4 war economy since only you and other DD soldiers are involved but the implication is that the system was implemented on a global scale. Big Boss, Zero, and Miller were on the same side for the first time since Skull Face was making his moves so I could see Zero acquiring info about Diamond Dog's infrastructure.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, I'm a MGS fan, and I enjoyed 4 as well. I just thought the comments about a silenced pistol being the best thing ever gave me TPP flashbacks.
Anywho, check out BIG SARU. His gaming of the mechanics is impressive.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

All the 3 million different guns are still worth it in MGSV because at the end of the game when your base is already stuffed full of A+ or better soldiers you just start creeping around bases looking for the small handful of soldiers worth sparing for your base before massacring the rest like some kind of creepy angel of death.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm about an hour into Dragon Quest Heroes II, and holy hell I hope it lightens up on the long-rear end prerendered voice acted cutscenes. I'm liking it when I'm running around hitting stuff, but it does not need this much exposition.

edit: Okay, it let up after the interminable amount of tutorials.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jul 1, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Firstborn posted:

It's because no kill runs and collecting pokeymen don't really matter, and when you realize this using all the lethal weapons is actually pretty fun.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jul 1, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

I've domed a Widowmaker with Mercy's pistol and Imma tell you there's no better feel in the game.

Killing a sentry bastion as symmetra :colbert: Or anyone really. Just watching the chat fill with anger and hatred is amazing.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Tracer looks like the extremely mobile rear end in a top hat I loved being as scout too. If the game goes on much of a sale ever I'd probably snap buy it.

TNO has too many tanky enemies. Most of the time I get to run around dual wielding rifles or shotguns, ducking and dodging and tearing dudes up when I see them. Then the heavies show up and it's time to sit in cover until they're dead. It's especially bad coming off a few runs of nuclear throne.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

It's amazing that there are so few competitive multiplayer shooters and that the ones that are out there inevitably bomb and go free-to-play within a year, because you'd think if some average shmuck on the internet knew more about multiplayer balance and objective fun than a huge experienced team at Blizzard that spent years developing and tweaking and exhaustively playtesting everything then it would be piss easy to just get them to design everything for you.

Nobody who had a hand in release Widowmaker knew what they were doing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gitro posted:

TNO has too many tanky enemies. Most of the time I get to run around dual wielding rifles or shotguns, ducking and dodging and tearing dudes up when I see them. Then the heavies show up and it's time to sit in cover until they're dead. It's especially bad coming off a few runs of nuclear throne.

Oh definitely. What's the point of having all-aggro mechanics like dual wielding if you have to play like a coward against any threatening enemy? This was very frustrating to me on my hard playthrough of both NuWolf games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Gitro posted:

Tracer looks like the extremely mobile rear end in a top hat I loved being as scout too. If the game goes on much of a sale ever I'd probably snap buy it.

Tracer and Genji are the closest to the Scout's type of play. I'm a career Scout and I picked up Dva because her style of tanking is more about hit and run tactics like the Scout.

Overwatch is worth it if you wanna play a streamlined TF2. Maps are smaller but they're also denser and have a vertical element that TF2 mostly lacked unless you were a Soldier or Demo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

Oh definitely. What's the point of having all-aggro mechanics like dual wielding if you have to play like a coward against any threatening enemy? This was very frustrating to me on my hard playthrough of both NuWolf games.

Armored dudes have a glowing weakspot on their back, if you can't flank them then use richocet shot to hit their backs from the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
This is kinda the opposite of thing dragging down a game, more like elevating it, but I've been replaying Mordheim City of the Damned for whatever reason. It has great core gameplay and a solid rpg system for progressing your dudes. On the other hand it also has terrible AI, boring missions, bad camera and UI, and repetitive maps(nice maps tho).

It's pretty much a bad game but it has that nugget of greatness in there. Almost wish it didn't so I could just forget about it.