Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Isn't it also a thing that people who use a death note have short lives and or violent deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Calaveron posted:

Isn't it also a thing that people who use a death note have short lives and or violent deaths
Its implied that its more because people with Death Notes tend to do things that would get them killed rather than because of a supernatural ability the Death Note has.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Murder is cool and good, actually.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Not really. The weird thing about the death note that the movie will totally gently caress up is that there's magical or karmatic punishment. It's a tool for bored and uncontested death gods. It's part of their day job. Not moral or evil entities of western religion.

It'd be like if you forgot your lan password and some npc started loving with all the other npcs with it. Who knocks, you might just watch and see how it plays out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Every bad guy killed is a cycle of violence ended.

:v:

True.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't consider that possibility.

*Crosses fingers together, leans in. *

Go on.

Off top of my head.

Since this is Death Note 2, we can assume Frank Castle (Mel Gibson) killed Light and happened on his notebook. Light had to be punished because to protect himself he killed innocent people. Frank figured it out but Light couldn't account for him. The Demon is terrified of Frank who has difficult answers for the philosophical questions it poses and it is forced to come along and bear witness.

Frank, however, prefers to sit down and see his victims face to face, perhaps at the dinner table, perhaps otherwise after dispatching henchmen, and write their name with their full knowledge on how they're going to die and how horrible or easy it may be depending on Frank's judgement and he sees it in their eyes knowing they cannot escape it. Frank doesn't need to hide. The cops and law enforcement look the other way and are okay with Frank doing what he's doing cause he does bring it down to those who deserve it.

The Ghost Rider has to correct this calamity by regaining possession of the book, returning it to where it belongs, and is seemingly being driven to dispatch the Demon for his error. Johnny Blaze (Nic Cage) disagrees with his Spirit of Vengence but has no choice. Danny Ketch (Sam Rockwell or Tom Cruise) tags along.

The problem is Frank's next major target is a former war hero and Senate candidate who commited a horrific crime in Iraq/Afghanistan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Electromax posted:

A movie that had a bunch of trailers showing dude gleefully murdering a Congress full of party-I-dont-like politicians over some political philosophy when there was just a shooting at a baseball game and the NRA is sending out those emails would feel pretty tone-deaf to me.
Who gives a gently caress? The chief of state is a lying misogynist racist piece of poo poo, and the majority party is gleefully loving peeps out of healthcare so they can justify a massive tax cut for the ultra wealthy.
:ohdear: oh no some escapist movie came too close to reminding me terrible people should loving die.
If anything, it should embrace this poo poo completely. Make Kira some red-piller that knocks out Tumblr. Make him a BernieBro who writes the Clintons and GOP in to the first pages. Have him kill the Football team because they made fun of him once, go for it :cenobite:

Calaveron posted:

Something like that. The Shinigami wager on how many years they can cut off a regular person's life with the Death Note, or they need to steal those extra years to keep on reaping or whatever.

Now let's all wait for The Asylum to counter this release with Fap Note.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Calaveron posted:

There's a thing where Death Note holders can trade half their remaining lifespan for the ability to see people's real names (and maybe other information? I don't remember) floating above their head-- since that's what you need to kill them with the book.

But also yeah, they generally get sloppy and wind up dead pretty fast. I think it's implied that Light is unusually smart/restrained about how he's using it, at least at first.

I don't know how I feel about this movie. I read the manga and liked it back in college, so I'm kind of intrigued, but I also don't really expect it to be any good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thundercracker posted:

Not moral or evil entities of western religion.

The trailer explicitly shows that Ryuk is still a shinigami in this adaptation, which is cool.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Who gives a gently caress? The chief of state is a lying misogynist racist piece of poo poo, and the majority party is gleefully loving peeps out of healthcare so they can justify a massive tax cut for the ultra wealthy.
:ohdear: oh no some escapist movie came too close to reminding me terrible people should loving die.
If anything, it should embrace this poo poo completely. Make Kira some red-piller that knocks out Tumblr. Make him a BernieBro who writes the Clintons and GOP in to the first pages. Have him kill the Football team because they made fun of him once, go for it :cenobite:

Also, you make the deaths incredibly Final Destination-style outlandish, since the concept is that Kira can choose the time and how a person dies (if he doesn't, they just die of like they had a heart attack). Kira writing the deaths of primary candidates during a debate by having them die with their heads up each others' asses, a lobbyist vomiting up cash, or having world leader die of autoerotic asphyxiation timed so it happens in the middle of a big speech or rally.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Doesn't a Death Note user's also get no afterlife as a result of using the Death Note?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, using a Death Note basically destroys your soul.

Thundercracker posted:

Not really. The weird thing about the death note that the movie will totally gently caress up is that there's magical or karmatic punishment. It's a tool for bored and uncontested death gods. It's part of their day job. Not moral or evil entities of western religion.

It'd be like if you forgot your lan password and some npc started loving with all the other npcs with it. Who knocks, you might just watch and see how it plays out.

For Death Gods a Death Note is basically their equivalent of eating since whenever they kill a person they get their remaining lifespan (this does not happen with humans.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Electromax posted:

A movie that had a bunch of trailers showing dude gleefully murdering a Congress full of party-I-dont-like politicians over some political philosophy when there was just a shooting at a baseball game and the NRA is sending out those emails would feel pretty tone-deaf to me. I see enough people calling for that on Facebook already.
See, it fits the tone of the times exactly.

Electromax posted:

In a world with the Purge and Battle Royale and such I don't think it would be commendable/radical really, just a movie about if James Hodgkinson found a magic book.
The radical bit would be making the targeting of mainstream politicians within an essentially present day setting a sympathetic act.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Punisher is immune to Ghost Rider's penance stare.

Only time that worked was when Frank was able to not be effected by that creature that made everyone happy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Doesn't a Death Note user's also get no afterlife as a result of using the Death Note?

I thought no one got an afterlife in the Death Note universe. Blissful oblivion is the only thing you can look forward to.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Good thing none of those guilty people he killed had innocent families or kids depending on them.

There's a story where the widows of Frank's victims tries to take revenge on him.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Electromax posted:

A movie that had a bunch of trailers showing dude gleefully murdering a Congress full of party-I-dont-like politicians over some political philosophy when there was just a shooting at a baseball game and the NRA is sending out those emails would feel pretty tone-deaf to me. I see enough people calling for that on Facebook already. In a world with the Purge and Battle Royale and such I don't think it would be commendable/radical really, just a movie about if James Hodgkinson found a magic book.

I'd watch that

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Samuel Clemens posted:

I thought no one got an afterlife in the Death Note universe. Blissful oblivion is the only thing you can look forward to.

Yeah, the ending reveals Ryuk was just being cheeky with that rule.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Who gives a gently caress?

I didn't walk away from the show with the same takeaway message I guess.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, the ending reveals Ryuk was just being cheeky with that rule.

That's the only thing I didn't like about the original, that Ryuk would outright lie about rules. Lying by omission is fine, but straight deception kinda ruins the rules of the universe.

I know there's no reason he had to tell the truth, but it still felt like rear end pulls when the writer wrote himself into a corner.

Also, the movie will absolutely not have the potato chip scene or execute it well, and the fanbase will riot over it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Thundercracker posted:

That's the only thing I didn't like about the original, that Ryuk would outright lie about rules. Lying by omission is fine, but straight deception kinda ruins the rules of the universe.

I know there's no reason he had to tell the truth, but it still felt like rear end pulls when the writer wrote himself into a corner.

Also, the movie will absolutely not have the potato chip scene or execute it well, and the fanbase will riot over it.

No, the rule always specifically said no Heaven or Hell for anyone who uses the Death Note.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

Yeah, if your takeaway from Death Note was "man it would be awesome if someone had the ability to kill anyone anywhere however they wanted and used that ability to get rid of all the Bad People" then you've officially forfeit the right to be smug about rappers liking Scarface forever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its implied that its more because people with Death Notes tend to do things that would get them killed rather than because of a supernatural ability the Death Note has.

This, pretty much. The Death Note has no "tangible" effect on you but what does that matter? You an still kill people with the stroke of a pen. It is inevitable such a thing will gently caress a person up.

It's more that the unrivaled power naturally brings out the worst in people. Light's need to be "perfect," Misa's need to be "useful" and Mikami's need to "delete" bad people. Light was on the fast track to becoming a world-class detective like L, Misa probably would have gotten some counseling and Mikami would have lived out his life as perhaps an overzealous prosecutor. But without the Death Note, none of them would have become the monsters they did in the series. (Although I think Misa and Mikami at least have grounds for some sort of insanity defense. And it's often overlooked Light was just a teenager when he got the Death Note. Teenagers are very much "I know how the world should be run" and then he got the power to try and run the world as he saw fit. He never stood a chance)

I watched a trailer analysis earlier and I get the feeling one thing that will be dropped in this adaptation is Light's clear influence from his father. As the guy noted, cops aren't quite as sacred here. Light's twisted idea of justice was always a way to try and emulate his father. This is why he only goes after criminals instead of, you know, killing world leaders or terrorists. Light's got some sort of microeconomics/grassroots ideas of societal change.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite the fact that it currently only has a star and a name Top Gun: Maverick has a release date of July 12, 2019.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The original came out over 30 years ago and I somehow don't think Tom Cruise's ego will allow that movie to have a "you're too old for this poo poo" plotline.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everyone knows that 56 year olds makes the best fighter pilots.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

muscles like this! posted:

Everyone knows that 56 year olds makes the best fighter pilots.

I'm not really sure why you're making a sarcastic joke out a historically documented fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys2MImImxyQ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How is Tom Cruise going to sprint from stuff when he's in a jet cockpit?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MariusLecter posted:

Obviously there's going to be an emergency where he has to run to his jet from the mess hall or barracks or whatever. Think before you ask stupid questions.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Run from one exploding jet to another

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Neil Blomkamp's short films 'Rakka' and 'Firebase' on youtube are both more impressive than Elysium and especially that steaming pile of poo poo Chappie. The special effects in Firebase are top notch for such a low budget. Maybe he might redeem himself in the near future?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He seems to only hire drunk screenwriters that don't speak english for his movies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

Maverick is going to evolve to actually being able to fly as he runs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think that terrible dive bar in SD that Top Gun used for a scene burned up, so guess theyll have to build a new fake bar.

Electromax posted:

That's not what I got from the show either, but I take issue with someone clutching their pearls about a bunch of elected officials dying in a trailer for a movie.

As an aside, my Roku started showing me ads for this thing called Pluto, that seems like a cross between Old Time Cable providers and a weird aggregate of YouTube / Streaming content. There's a channel dedicated to The Asylum's craptabulous knockoff flicks

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 2, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FilthyImp posted:

I think that terrible dive bar in SD that Top Gun used for a scene burned up, so guess theyll have to build a new fake bar.

As an SD native I hate to inform you that those fuckers got back on their feet in two months. They made it look just as dingy as before.

You literally can't cleanse that poo poo hole.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The fun part about the Death Note anime Is watching it with someone who has never seen it before and seeing what episode makes them realize that Light is actually a monster. Some people totally dig him for a disturbingly long time.

The second best thing about the Death Note anime is at the end when Light dies and Ryuk basically indicates that the years of global turmoil, murders, and the birth of a new religion were nothing but a short-lived distraction that he'll have try again someday. And he also speaks of Light with absolute zero sentimentality even though he just spent years with the guy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I tried to watch Top Gun recently and only made it through the first 15 minutes. So hammy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SyFy is doing a TV sequel to 'Deep Blue Sea', 18 years after the original came out.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/deep-blue-sea-sequel-syfy-channel-1201849640/

I can only hope they will bring back LL Cool J to do a sequel to this amazing song from the soundtrack-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKb9OvXXvk

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
'LL Cool J for Deep Blue Sea 2/Sharknado spinoff.

The cook just can't catch a break!

END ME SCOOB posted:

As an SD native I hate to inform you that those fuckers got back on their feet in two months. They made it look just as dingy as before.

You literally can't cleanse that poo poo hole.
I went to school in SD for 5 years and avoided being dragged there, save for once she it was a friend's birthday.

I think that's the closest I've gotten to catching the clap, because I felt dirty as hell afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The fun part about the Death Note anime Is watching it with someone who has never seen it before and seeing what episode makes them realize that Light is actually a monster. Some people totally dig him for a disturbingly long time.

The second best thing about the Death Note anime is at the end when Light dies and Ryuk basically indicates that the years of global turmoil, murders, and the birth of a new religion were nothing but a short-lived distraction that he'll have try again someday. And he also speaks of Light with absolute zero sentimentality even though he just spent years with the guy.

Killing Naomi did it for me. Just the way he did it.

The greatest irony of Death Note is all about Light and Ryuk.
1. Light thinks he's a god...when the one with all the real power is right next to him.
2. The one person Light seems to trust is Ryuk. Ryuk, the one person in the show more evil than Light.

Fun Fact: The director of the anime was on Kira's side.

• Locked thread