Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

What's wrong with his face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

EW comic book movie covers are always entertaining - for the wrong reasons - and this one isn't different

i mean glow was pretty good and i hate wrestling so....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox's Unannounced Marvel slate: 6/7/19, 11/22/19, 3/13/20, 6/26/20,10/2/20, 3/5/21.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

EW comic book movie covers are always entertaining - for the wrong reasons - and this one isn't different

It's good that the night of Uncle Ben's murder hasn't dampened Pete's appreciation for wrestling.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there any origins story going on in this movie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Nope.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Calaveron posted:

Some of the few negatives I've seen mentioned in some reviews actually say they wish there was more of some kind of backstory for Peter and I just sat there dumbfounded about who would want to see that again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Fox's Unannounced Marvel slate: 6/7/19, 11/22/19, 3/13/20, 6/26/20,10/2/20, 3/5/21.

Wow! Six more Deadpool movies!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Some of the few negatives I've seen mentioned in some reviews actually say they wish there was more of some kind of backstory for Peter and I just sat there dumbfounded about who would want to see that again.

I could see wanting some information so you know what this particular iteration of Spider-Man is all about, but yeah, I couldn't stand another movie that's nothing but origin story.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Superhero movies should recap the origin in a one-sentence text box at the beginning like every comic book ever.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
When are we getting a newspaper superman movie?

Who will play the villain, the humble brick?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Superhero movies should recap the origin in a one-sentence text box at the beginning like every comic book ever.

Spider-Man 2 was pretty good with the stylized intro recapping the first movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

One thing the Norton Hulk movie did very well, I thought.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
By this point everyone and their mothers know Spidey and Batman's origins so I'm glad that's stopping

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only thing you do by retelling Spider-Man's origin again is risk loving it up. And eat up runtime.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Since they are doing a young Aunt May, it got me thinking about who would be a good Uncle Ben if they did go with the origin story.

There is only one guy good enough for the role brother. Peter had to get his dream to be a wrestler from somewhere.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Havoc904 posted:

Since they are doing a young Aunt May, it got me thinking about who would be a good Uncle Ben if they did go with the origin story.

There is only one guy good enough for the role brother. Peter had to get his dream to be a wrestler from somewhere.

Uncle Ben wasn't Whiplash. Or was he?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uncle Ben should be played by Sean Bean.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm rewatching Winter Soldier and I can't believe they couldn't come up with a better alternative to conceal Bucky's identity than the dumb ski goggles and altitude training mask combo he's got going on there

EDIT: And I just noticed he wears a fingerless glove on his cyber arm but keeps his human arm gloveless

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Uncle Ben will be Stan Lee.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calaveron posted:

I'm rewatching Winter Soldier and I can't believe they couldn't come up with a better alternative to conceal Bucky's identity than the dumb ski goggles and altitude training mask combo he's got going on there

EDIT: And I just noticed he wears a fingerless glove on his cyber arm but keeps his human arm gloveless

Isn't that his outfit from the comics, though?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cythereal posted:

Isn't that his outfit from the comics, though?

The body suit is similar but he wears a domino mask, not a half face mask.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Omnomnomnivore posted:

BvS spent maybe 3 minutes on the Crime Alley scene and yet people still whinged and moaned about it. It's incredibly important for the character's motivations, it sets up the tone of the film, and it's a good idea to assume that not everyone knows the specifics even for a character as well known as Batman.

E: You can absolutely do an adaption of Batman without Crime Alley, in the same way as you can do King Arthur story without The Sword in the Stone or the Lady of the Lake, or a Robin Hood story without splitting the arrow. But it shouldn't be hard to justify it's inclusion either.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 1, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If I had my way every glove would be fingerless!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BvS spent maybe 3 minutes on the Crime Alley scene and yet people still whinged and moaned about it. It's incredibly important for the character's motivations, it sets up the tone of the film, and it's a good idea to assume that not everyone knows the specifics even for a character as well known as Batman.

The most important thing revisiting Crime Alley, again, did was remind us that Bruce Wayne's mother name was Martha.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I could watch Batman's parents die for the rest of my life. I can't really recall a bad iteration of the scene. Azzarello and Morrison added some stuff to the scene, and both worked in the stories they're in.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Rhyno posted:

The body suit is similar but he wears a domino mask, not a half face mask.

Frankly, that'd be dumber than the movie design.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Samovar posted:

Frankly, that'd be dumber than the movie design.

At least he isn't wearing eyeshadow in the comics. That looks so stupid.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

I could watch Batman's parents die for the rest of my life. I can't really recall a bad iteration of the scene. Azzarello and Morrison added some stuff to the scene, and both worked in the stories they're in.

I think in one of the earliest versions Bruce's Mum dies of fright, which is pretty stupid.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

One page. Four panels.

Panel One: A teenage boy has a pained expression as a spider is visible on the back of his hand. Narration: Spider Bite.

Panel Two: Same teenage boy is upside down on his ceiling balancing a fifty pound hand weight on the tip of his index finger. Narration: Great Power.

Panel Three: Teenage boy in blue and red homemade wrestling outfit stands with shrugged shoulders and upturned palms while a robber runs past with a sack of money. Narration: No Responsability.

Panel Four: A dead old man with a visible bullet wound is cradled in the arms of the teeenage boy. In the background a frail old woman sobs. Narration: Parker Luck.

I would like one million dollars for my totally original idea please and thank you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Marriage Night posted:

How much of a contrarian can you possibly be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

If I had my way every glove would be fingerless!

How about gloves that are only fingers:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about gloves that are only fingers:

Finger gloves...? B-but....WHY? :psyduck:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
sounds like a potential meet cute.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fingerless glove on the cyborg hand was probably a concession to special effects. Like they wanted you to know he had a robot hand but couldn't practically replace it in every scene and there isn't really a good way to do that as make up without it being too bulky.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
The face mask and goggles were a perfect answer to the domino mask.

The fingerless glove on his metal hand is for grip (imagine holding weapons in a chromed out hand) but also probably for SFX/mobility.

The eye makeup/dirt or whatever looked cool as gently caress.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I don't have a problem with him wearing fingerless gloves, but why only on one hand if that's the case you Michael Jackson fucker

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heathen posted:

One page. Four panels.

Panel One: A teenage boy has a pained expression as a spider is visible on the back of his hand. Narration: Spider Bite.

Panel Two: Same teenage boy is upside down on his ceiling balancing a fifty pound hand weight on the tip of his index finger. Narration: Great Power.

Panel Three: Teenage boy in blue and red homemade wrestling outfit stands with shrugged shoulders and upturned palms while a robber runs past with a sack of money. Narration: No Responsability.

Panel Four: A dead old man with a visible bullet wound is cradled in the arms of the teeenage boy. In the background a frail old woman sobs. Narration: Parker Luck.

I would like one million dollars for my totally original idea please and thank you.

Panel Five: A brick falls onto the teenage boy's head. "UNHHH" he groans. Narration: Powerful Enemy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

I don't have a problem with him wearing fingerless gloves, but why only on one hand if that's the case you Michael Jackson fucker

He probably had two gloves at one point, but lost one of them in the 70's and everyone just decided "gently caress it."

He's like a Ken doll that people have been playing with for 80 years. Sometimes you lose accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Maybe he has tactile receptors in his metal fingertips, but not the rest of his hand, so fingerless gloves are the right balance between grip and sensory responsiveness.

...Why did I just think about that?

• Locked thread