Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Eldred posted:

What's hurting exactly on the squat or deadlift? Like, does it hurt on extension?

Just do relatively low weight iso work while you recover, low weight should mean you won't try to recruit your back to help.

I'm not good at explaining these sorts of things. It's like, I'll get squatted down, and as soon as I start moving back up, I'll feel pressure in my lower back, almost to the point where it would hurt. Then after a few reps, I'll put the bar away and I'll feel it for the rest of the morning. I typically start with squats, and end with deadlifts. I've been trying to lift a lot less on deadlifts when this happens but recently I've just given up on either.

I'll try to just do the low weight stuff you suggested and wait a couple weeks. Just kinda sucks because I just started lifting recently and I'm eager to keep what results I've gotten so far and improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Vaguido posted:

I'm not good at explaining these sorts of things. It's like, I'll get squatted down, and as soon as I start moving back up, I'll feel pressure in my lower back, almost to the point where it would hurt. Then after a few reps, I'll put the bar away and I'll feel it for the rest of the morning. I typically start with squats, and end with deadlifts. I've been trying to lift a lot less on deadlifts when this happens but recently I've just given up on either.

I'll try to just do the low weight stuff you suggested and wait a couple weeks. Just kinda sucks because I just started lifting recently and I'm eager to keep what results I've gotten so far and improve.

Yeah, that's extension. You'll be fine, learning not to hurt yourself is just part of the process. Better to learn that lesson early on.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

E_P posted:

Im the one who told you to do that and I recall someone giving me poo poo for it. Whoever that was fuckin eat it scrublord. Keep your feet at an angle so that when the arm holding said db is hanging perpendicular to the ground so it is free of obstuction from your leg/hip.

It was me, and i got owned when i saw someone doing it literally the next day (and posted about my gigantic self-own).

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Vaguido posted:

when I tweaked my lower back at work I went the doctor to be safe. He said I could basically go back to doing squats as soon as I wanted as long as it didn't hurt to squat. The tweak made it super loving tight though, I had to spend like 6 days constantly stretching to get it to go back to normal. Have you tried stretching? Glute stuff,it band, hamstrings, yoga poo poo like cat/cat, child's pose, etc etc etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
8 weeks no lifting.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

when I tweaked my lower back at work I went the doctor to be safe. He said I could basically go back to doing squats as soon as I wanted as long as it didn't hurt to squat. The tweak made it super loving tight though, I had to spend like 6 days constantly stretching to get it to go back to normal. Have you tried stretching? Glute stuff,it band, hamstrings, yoga poo poo like cat/cat, child's pose, etc etc etc.

I'll add to use the blackroll to get any "knots" out. It helped me immensely when I had a similar issue.

Just to add to the annecdotes, my backproblems probably came from having a thight piriformis in my rear end that caused issued on the sciatic nerve. So maybe look farther then just the lower back area.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

If you can't press your bodyweight you're fat, weak or both.
I can deadlift 2x bw but can't bench 1x bw or do a pull up. Help!!

This is like one of those math problems.

x * 2 = liftable
x * 1 = no bench
x * 1 = no chin

In 1 year of training bench is probably bigger than 180
x is > 180

but a 460lb deadlift is not really something you hit in a year of training
x is < 230

180 is a doable chin weight after a year of training
x is > 200 probably

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 30, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

I can deadlift 2x bw but can't bench 1x bw or do a pull up. Help!!

Starting Strength has a lot to answer for.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It was me, and i got owned when i saw someone doing it literally the next day (and posted about my gigantic self-own).

I remember when everyone would give people poo poo in the exercise forum for ever advocating use of the smith machine in anyway. As if using it would both injure you while also doing nothing for muscle growth.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Starting Strength has a lot to answer for.
Nah, my squat is straight garbage, and I do lots of upper body accessory work and not all that much lower in a week. I can row over 1x bw too. My back just seems to develop disproportionately fast and maybe started out stronger for some unknown reason.

For most of the year I've benched 3x per week, did db bench as well, isolated triceps and occasionally pecs. I do lat pulldowns quite a bit also.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 30, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

jerked for the first time in 4 months

hit 225. arms just aren't really locking out yet.

also cleaning back up to 300. those feel good man.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

FizFashizzle posted:

jerked for the first time in 4 months

:stare:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

I can row over 1x bw too.

That's not really any sort of milestone.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

I weigh 500lbs.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Khorne posted:

I weigh 500lbs.

:stare:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I meant it more as "my bench is disproportionately weaker than my row" than "I can row 1x bw for reps, milestone!!".

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

sassassin posted:

Haha, well gently caress you, mister muscleman.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I got a .2 x bw single arm hammer curl , gonna drop the weight and work back up beacuse my form isnt where it should be

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Technique is what really matters, man. Good on you.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C611nWEzTu8

Dom sold out and The Rock is slumming it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

I meant it more as "my bench is disproportionately weaker than my row" than "I can row 1x bw for reps, milestone!!".

Okay but what's your shrug like?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

sassassin posted:

:shrug:

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

We need that smiley but with it holding dumbbells

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

I just use 100lb dbs for shruggin because if I use the barbell it's like a handjob in the gym.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Dum Cumpster posted:

I am so confused.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Time for a sex storyy hooray ya

I dated a cute chubby girl last night and we had sex and I was on my back and she was blowing me and she started running her hands over my mediocre abs, so I flexed them to be extra impressive (:grin: :grin: :grin:) and accidentally farted super loudly, right on her

thanks for listening

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately

Fartbox posted:

I dated a cute chubby girl last night and we had sex and I was on my back and she was blowing me and she started running her hands over my mediocre abs, so I flexed them to be extra impressive (:grin: :grin: :grin:) and accidentally farted super loudly, right on her

thanks for listening

great username/post combo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fartbox posted:

thanks for listening

Really, Forums User "Fartbox"? You farted? Really? It's hard to believe this

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Classic fartbox. Thats why I registered here. Love it and keep em coming!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Dum Cumpster posted:

I hope this gets funny at some point

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

KyloWinter posted:

Spoilers: It doesn't.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

KyloWinter posted:

Tough to watch. Won't fault Dom for doing this. I would too.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
that is one atrociously out of place supporting cast

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I like the vids where Dom calls Bradley Martyn small

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Fartbox posted:

thanks for listening

lmao

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hope to one day be swole enough that I lose control of my bowels.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

nooneofconsequence posted:

I hope to one day be swole enough that I lose control of my bowels.

Why wait, I am sure there is a nearby Walgreens or CVS that has prunes in stock. Eat the bag and live your dream.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I really like BroScienceLife but even I will admit its extraordinarily hit and miss

Any Dom Mazzetti stuff that's not in the gym is pure trash tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Dom is at his best as a foil to Bradley Martyn (eg. Bros Vs) because bizarrely enough Brad plays a really good comedic straight man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP0bKYvc4Zk