Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'll never get "in hospital." Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

THE hospital. That's which one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

OK smarty pant.

It's pants because they cover two legs, obviously.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's just old timey like The Japans

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA

Today is a good day for the non-terrible YT intellectual community.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's wonderful for its analysis and especially for showing sloppy thinkers why the principle of charity makes arguments stronger and isn't some empty double-dealing rhetorical trick.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

This guy's take on why Sherlock is poo poo is loving brilliant and a must watch.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Who What Now posted:

Right. And you cut off the end of the word to abbreviate it. Hence no s.

And yet they refer to multiple sports in the singular. I blame the monarchy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mojo1701a posted:

And yet they refer to multiple sports in the singular. I blame the monarchy.

On an island that small theres going to be rampant inbreeding.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nT9atOg0LA

Was Anita acting in good faith with her intentions?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nT9atOg0LA

Was Anita acting in good faith with her intentions?

Lol, find out next time as we breathlessly pore over Anita's every word to find a contradiction we invented by not listening to what she actually said, interpreting in the most ignorant way imaginable.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Does he cover the whole series? Cause I'm only on episode 2.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Maluco Marinero posted:

Lol, find out next time as we breathlessly pore over Anita's every word to find a contradiction we invented by not listening to what she actually said, interpreting in the most ignorant way imaginable.

do you have an actual criticism or are you just going to declare "look at this bad video guys" and hope everybody else nods in agreement, rubbing their chins

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Does he cover the whole series? Cause I'm only on episode 2.

Like 3 episodes. The focus is on AS's criqitue of the show.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

do you have an actual criticism or are you just going to declare "look at this bad video guys" and hope everybody else nods in agreement, rubbing their chins

I thought it was pretty clear if you watch the video. They consider themselves to have 'caught' Anita Sarkeesian in a contradiction that undermines her ability to be a part of this debate. However, that's only a concession if they misinterpret her stating that many online behaviours which form part of an harassment strategy aren't legally defined as harassment. Adults discussing complex problems can't just rely on a single lens (legality) to understand and communicate ideas. Idiot children who treat opinions like they're team sports like to view issues through a single lens because it's far easier to arrive at a aha gotcha moment with a single lens. They also define themselves merely as 'the opposition', their actual opinions are nearly formless because they need to keep them that way in order to 'win' the team sport.

They can only sustain themselves in a hugbox because there is no strength and conviction to their arguments at all, as demonstrated by every single debate engagement these folks have ever had.

edit: another reason they are 'the opposition', they're fuckin' defined by search terms. This is the way they make their money:

- Anita Sarkeesian
- Feminism
- VidCon
- PewDiePie
- etc etc

Whatever's getting the hits, that's what they're weighing in on, and they just keep on their team and everything will be fine.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 1, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I do have to say though, as a huge Bill Nye fan, his new show's pretty awful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can't remember where it was twitter or here or elsewhere but peeps were saying armoured skeptic wasn't that bad but holy poo poo is he an awful liar.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even his name is terrible. You're either Armored Skeptic or Armoured Sceptic. Unless it was a deliberate Inglourious Basterds stylistic choice, but I'm not sure he's that smart.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Who What Now posted:

On an island that small theres going to be rampant inbreeding.

i mean your country was founded and continues as a place for poo poo brits to go to so

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can't remember where it was twitter or here or elsewhere but peeps were saying armoured skeptic wasn't that bad but holy poo poo is he an awful liar.

I've had so many people try and defend him and Shoe to me but holy poo poo they are just as bad as Sargon et al. Only difference is that they're just more slick compared to Sargon's terrible everything.

Like, my first exposure of AS was in a video response Garrett did to him and loving hell AS came off as the smuggest gently caress I've ever heard. His contribution to the Questions White Men Have video didn't help either.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

SteelMentor posted:

I've had so many people try and defend him and Shoe to me but holy poo poo they are just as bad as Sargon et al. Only difference is that they're just more slick compared to Sargon's terrible everything.

Like, my first exposure of AS was in a video response Garrett did to him and loving hell AS came off as the smuggest gently caress I've ever heard. His contribution to the Questions White Men Have video didn't help either.

So you haven't seen any of TL;DR's vids, then

Maluco Marinero posted:

They also define themselves merely as 'the opposition', their actual opinions are nearly formless because they need to keep them that way in order to 'win' the team sport.

It's something I've been trying to articulate for a while, but hbomb ended up putting it well in his AS video: they treat their opinions as the null hypothesis. If your opinions are the default, you don't have to defend or even articulate them; you just need to knock down the people who disagree with them. Any introspection or examination of what exactly those opinions are would run dangerously close to being interesting, and that would put your entire youtube ad empire at risk.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So can we all agree after watching Hbomb's video that AS is a trans erasing piece of poo poo and not 'one of the good ones'?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I haven't been able to watch it yet, but the linked "ethical skeptic " site in the description makes me nervous.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Goon Danton posted:

So you haven't seen any of TL;DR's vids, then

To be honest I completely forgot he existed. On the scale of shitlords, he's a low rank for just being insufferable.

Praseodymi posted:

So can we all agree after watching Hbomb's video that AS is a trans erasing piece of poo poo and not 'one of the good ones'?

Was this ever in doubt? They're bffs with Blair loving White. Anyone who deals with that piece of garbage is guilty by association imo.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I haven't been able to watch it yet, but the linked "ethical skeptic " site in the description makes me nervous.

I haven't read all of the page, but it's just used for it's definition of the null hypothesis and some common errors.

Why Wikipedia wouldn't have done I don't know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lying about videos to people that haven't seen them is the most rage inducing thing. like in the fox from the west vs destiny debate fox tells destiny that shaun&jen turned 90 arsons into 5 in his einzefall video except it was the xy einzenfall assholes that turned 5 arsons into 90. shaun even showed that those other 85 were mostly kitchen fires with a couple of trash fires.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Groovelord Neato posted:

lying about videos to people that haven't seen them is the most rage inducing thing. like in the fox from the west vs destiny debate fox tells destiny that shaun&jen turned 90 arsons into 5 in his einzefall video except it was the xy einzenfall assholes that turned 5 arsons into 90. shaun even showed that those other 85 were mostly kitchen fires with a couple of trash fires.

That's what gets me most about this surge of regressives/internet intellectuals/anti-sjw/whatever. They're the most disingenuous bunch of fucks I've ever seen. They never seem to argue in good faith, regularly fudging numbers, misrepresenting evidence/arguments, flat out making poo poo up etc etc.

I know the Right have done this since the dawn of time, but it seems particularly prominent in this iteration of the same old shite.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

That's what gets me most about this surge of regressives/internet intellectuals/anti-sjw/whatever. They're the most disingenuous bunch of fucks I've ever seen. They never seem to argue in good faith, regularly fudging numbers, misrepresenting evidence/arguments, flat out making poo poo up etc etc.

I know the Right have done this since the dawn of time, but it seems particularly prominent in this iteration of the same old shite.

Youtube intellectuals don't actually have an education in a polymath sense. These are not people that went to university to become actual thinkers.

Take Sargon of Akkad for example. The only reason that putz exists is because of his accent. It is continually amazing how many shitbirds, especially in America, fall for anyone with an English accent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

happyhippy posted:

This guy's take on why Sherlock is poo poo is loving brilliant and a must watch.

It's very good, although the original stories generally weren't Fair-Play Mysteries so it seems odd to mark the show down for that (to say nothing of the idea that mysteries must be Fair-Play in the first place).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's very good, although the original stories generally weren't Fair-Play Mysteries so it seems odd to mark the show down for that (to say nothing of the idea that mysteries must be Fair-Play in the first place).

Yes but the loving boomerang

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love Sherlock (obviously the earlier series, maybe s4e1) so I don't really want to have to hate it but also want to watch that video?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I love Sherlock (obviously the earlier series, maybe s4e1) so I don't really want to have to hate it but also want to watch that video?

I'm not even sure what your question is here. Just watch the video.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lampsacus posted:

it's quite good and accurate. it even discusses how the pilot was better than what eventually came out due to the time constraints. i had never heard of that jekyll and hyde show and it sounds hilariously dumb and bad.

keep in mind tho that harold bomberguy would also defend the prequels and bvs so he isn't infallible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

I thought it was pretty clear if you watch the video. They consider themselves to have 'caught' Anita Sarkeesian in a contradiction that undermines her ability to be a part of this debate. However, that's only a concession if they misinterpret her stating that many online behaviours which form part of an harassment strategy aren't legally defined as harassment. Adults discussing complex problems can't just rely on a single lens (legality) to understand and communicate ideas. Idiot children who treat opinions like they're team sports like to view issues through a single lens because it's far easier to arrive at a aha gotcha moment with a single lens. They also define themselves merely as 'the opposition', their actual opinions are nearly formless because they need to keep them that way in order to 'win' the team sport.

They can only sustain themselves in a hugbox because there is no strength and conviction to their arguments at all, as demonstrated by every single debate engagement these folks have ever had.

edit: another reason they are 'the opposition', they're fuckin' defined by search terms. This is the way they make their money:

- Anita Sarkeesian
- Feminism
- VidCon
- PewDiePie
- etc etc

Whatever's getting the hits, that's what they're weighing in on, and they just keep on their team and everything will be fine.

The "rational" line of thought is always preposterously rigid. The standard line on why feminism is no longer necessary is that there are no laws that forbid women from participating in civic life or working. If you're so dumb that such an argument seems appealing to you, I don't see how anyone can help you think more clearly. Shoeonhead's argument about Anita Sarkeesian is that she could not have been harassed because there is no law specifically against what Carl did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and even if you accept their argument that everything is fully equal right now that doesn't mean things will always be that way. look at iran or afghanistan.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

The Marketplace of Ideas™ only really works if people are arguing in good faith (which is why it works reasonably well in academia). If they're not, the whole thing turns into a question who can appeal to whatever horse-poo poo drives the greatest emotional response. It's a pretty wide gap in that theory of debate, and it really only favors the least scrupulous (which is why they love invoking that poo poo pretty much all the time).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Praseodymi posted:

I haven't read all of the page, but it's just used for it's definition of the null hypothesis and some common errors.

Why Wikipedia wouldn't have done I don't know.

Yeah, the weird part is that reading a bit more of the page, it looks a lot like it's written by someone well off their rocker. The description of fallacies there is mostly technically correct, it's true (though the author makes up names for a bunch of things with Unneccessary Symbolic Capitalized References). The other parts are written in a way that seems like the author is way off the deep end of the pond. And I say that as someone who generally subscribes to a lot of the philosophy of science positions that I encountered during my skim.

Sidenote: the naming part is a thing I've noticed with the discourse around scientific/meta-scientific/stat logic material. There's a tremendous amount of people rediscovering well-documented concepts and creating private vocabularies for them, both within and outside of the academy. Lots of reinventing the wheel going on as folks rediscover specific logical errors and, in particular, corollaries to the problem of induction.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Even his name is terrible. You're either Armored Skeptic or Armoured Sceptic. Unless it was a deliberate Inglourious Basterds stylistic choice, but I'm not sure he's that smart.
Why would you have a C in the first syllable of skeptic? Do brits pronounce it the same as septic?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why would you have a C in the first syllable of skeptic? Do brits pronounce it the same as septic?

do you disagree that in this case it would be a valid reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No but I'm genuinely curious if Brits pronounce another thing different, or if this is a case of good old Webster being right again with regard to how things should be spelled.

• Locked thread