Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The misunderstanding might be attributable to how many people don't actually do their own taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Marginal tax rates is one of those things I google occasionally solely because people bring it up as being incredibly complicated but I don't think it is? It just refers to how much you pay in taxes for each bracket? So if your income tops out at 70%, you aren't paying 70% on every dollar, just on every dollar in that bracket?

Wait, aren't all income tax systems in developed countries bracketed like that? It's the same in the UK but I've never seen people (even massive anti tax folk) misunderstand the system to think higher rates apply to all your income rather than just that specific bracket.

Are there countries where taxes don't do that?? Are there actually people in the US who think when you go up a bracket, that % is applied to all of your income?! How would that even make sense??

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ewan posted:

Are there actually people in the US who think when you go up a bracket, that % is applied to all of your income?! How would that even make sense??

Yes, and it doesn't.

Americans are really, really, really stupid. We're the kind of people that accidentally intentionally kill one another in agreed-upon stunts in an attempt to get youtube fame. And unlike videos where idiot Russians climb large partially-completed building superstructures and dangle from I-beams 800 feet above the ground with no safety equipment, this ill-fated American attempt at fame wasn't even exciting or interesting! It was just a magician's trick, except instead of catching the bullet with his teeth or in his hand he caught it with his chest.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Ewan posted:

Wait, aren't all income tax systems in developed countries bracketed like that? It's the same in the UK but I've never seen people (even massive anti tax folk) misunderstand the system to think higher rates apply to all your income rather than just that specific bracket.

Are there countries where taxes don't do that?? Are there actually people in the US who think when you go up a bracket, that % is applied to all of your income?! How would that even make sense??

It's a pretty common con in companies who hire straight out of university. "We can give you a raise if you want, you're doing awesome! The thing is though that it'll put you up in the next tax bracket and you'd be taking home less."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pander posted:

Yes, and it doesn't.

Americans are really, really, really stupid. We're the kind of people that accidentally intentionally kill one another in agreed-upon stunts in an attempt to get youtube fame. And unlike videos where idiot Russians climb large partially-completed building superstructures and dangle from I-beams 800 feet above the ground with no safety equipment, this ill-fated American attempt at fame wasn't even exciting or interesting! It was just a magician's trick, except instead of catching the bullet with his teeth or in his hand he caught it with his chest.

It's even worse, and I don't mean to belittle anyone's death, when you consider that there are 100 videos online showing a .50 caliber Desert Eagle can easily shoot through a phone book as shooting through books is a way to visually demonstrate a firearm's piercing capabilities.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
You could replace tax brackets with a similar higher order polynomial, which would arguably be smoother and more optimal, but tax brackets are much easier to understand to the layperson and work well enough in practice.

Smol fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 1, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Smol posted:

You could replace tax brackets with a similar continuous function, which would arguably be smoother and more optimal, but tax brackets are much easier to understand to the layperson and they work well enough in practice.

I would argue no from all the times I've seen people say they refused a raise so as to not get put in a higher tax bracket.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Well yeah the marginal tax rate is still below 1 so why would anyone refuse a raise lol.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I don't know why glorious job creator keeps offering a raise, don't they know it's illogical?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Smol posted:

You could replace tax brackets with a similar higher order polynomial, which would arguably be smoother and more optimal, but tax brackets are much easier to understand to the layperson and work well enough in practice.

Making it simpler for the average American is the only reason that Libertarians and Republicans constantly espouse the glory of flat taxes. I know this is true because they tell me so. Isn't a flat 18% just so durn easy? Man this steve forbes guy is so smart.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Post your tax brackets!

My tax brackets:

0 - 50,000: 0%
50,001 - 100,000: 10%
100,001 - 120,000: 20%
120,001 - 150,000: 30%
150,001 - 170,000: 40%
170,001 - 200,000: 50%
200,001 - 300, 000: 55%
300,001 - 1,000,000: 70%
1,000,001+: Public Execution And Redistribution of All Accumulated Wealth To Social Wealth-fare Programs

The one system where I can understand fearing a raise.

Covok fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 1, 2017

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I work at a national lab and I got free lunch from my co-workers for a week because I bet them that I knew how tax brackets worked and that they were all wrong. Even allegedly smart Americans are dumb as hell because apparently it's easier for Rush Limbaugh to just yell at you about why you should be mad about something rather than read a three sentence explanation of how things actually work.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Covok posted:

Post your tax brackets!

My tax brackets:

0 - 50,000: 0%
50,001 - 100,000: 10%
100,001 - 120,000: 20%
120,001 - 150,000: 30%
150,001 - 170,000: 40%
170,001 - 200,000: 50%
200,001 - 300, 000: 55%
300,001 - 1,000,000: 70%
1,000,001+: Public Execution And Redistribution of All Accumulated Wealth To Social Wealth-fare Programs

The one system where I can understand fearing a raise.

However much I make: 0%

Every dollar above that: 100%

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Ewan posted:

Almost every thread I read about healthcare there's always someone from Europe/Canada/Australia etc that has a very similar reaction to what you had about tax brackets.

They are like "Wait, so you guys actually go broke and or bankrupt over your medical bills?" Or even something just as simple as "You guys actually pay out of pocket for health care even if you have insurance??" And it makes me so sad because there are so many people out there in these other countries that to them healthcare is such a simple thing that isn't the money vs your health proposition it is here. When they need care, they just go. They can't fathom how it is here. And we will probably never know what that's like.

I've said it before, but if you get injured and the first thing on your mind is how this might possibly bankrupt you instead of getting fixed up then we have no right to call ourselves the best country on Earth.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
My conservative RWM parents did their taxes themselves for the first time in their lives around age 50 and they were shocked at how easy it was and wondering why they wasted money on a tax service for so many years.

I kept telling them it wasn't a big deal unless you needed to itemize deductions which they did not, but oh well. I guess I'm just a stupid brainwashed librul.

They also taught me that tax brackets were against all your income at one point, and I didn't learn otherwise until after I got a job where I had to file my taxes because no one taught that kind of stuff.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Charliegrs posted:

Almost every thread I read about healthcare there's always someone from Europe/Canada/Australia etc that has a very similar reaction to what you had about tax brackets.

They are like "Wait, so you guys actually go broke and or bankrupt over your medical bills?" Or even something just as simple as "You guys actually pay out of pocket for health care even if you have insurance??" And it makes me so sad because there are so many people out there in these other countries that to them healthcare is such a simple thing that isn't the money vs your health proposition it is here. When they need care, they just go. They can't fathom how it is here. And we will probably never know what that's like.

I've said it before, but if you get injured and the first thing on your mind is how this might possibly bankrupt you instead of getting fixed up then we have no right to call ourselves the best country on Earth.

I've lived in Norway, France, and now US. Two of the first things that truly shocked me when I came here was taxes and healthcare. Holy poo poo, it's like the loving stone age.

If I get seriously ill I'm out of here in a loving instant.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Yeah also in the UK unless you are pretty rich, or have a complex income situation (multiple incomes, lots of investments, or self employed, etc), taxes all just happen automatically and get deducted from your salary when you're paid. I've worked for nearly 10 yrs and have never had to do any sort of tax form.

Even stuff like pension payments (401(k) equivalent) is taken from your pre-tax pay and happens automatically with no fuckery with tax forms. Same when you invest within your ISA limits - no need to tell the taxman.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
US culture is incredibly stagnant and recalcitrant in some ways, especially politically. Within my lifetime, at least, I can't recall there ever being much political will to address a lot of the country's problems. A significant portion of the populace also wants a system that exclusively caters to them alone all while refusing to learn anything about what they would even want, much less what's possible, and a lot of those people in turn just don't vote. It's all a little broken, and daunting to even begin to address. Even if it turned out that Russia straight-up installed Trump to the presidency, he'd still just be a symptom of the wider problem. A major part of the issue, and one that's not easy to quickly remedy, is that a narrow majority of the country isn't completely backwards, but thanks to gerrymandering and a system of representation that makes people in less populace states carry ten times the importance of people in cities, it's possible to game the HELL out of national votes and national messaging. People are being straight-up lied to and simply aren't aware of it.

Also, one thing that really could use better addressed in tax code is self-employment. Being on the low end of the income curve while self-employed sucks; your taxes are effectively higher than if you're a wage drone at the same rate, and companies seem to be eager to gouge you even more than usual for tax prep (which is also somewhat more complicated). I suspect this is a not-coincidental effect of the way the tax code favors large businesses.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Covok posted:

Taxes? Well, taxes are bad! The government takes money from you. And for what? For what? So, some illegal kid can go to school. Sad! You make money and it goes away. Why should it be taken away? I made the money, I keep the money. Government wants the money, takes the money, gives it to illegals. Illegals who voted for Hillary in the election. My popular vote win would have been even larger if those illegals didn't vote. And I'm working on it. I got the best people on it. Illegals won't be allowed to vote in the next election. But, taxes. Marginal taxes. You got money, government takes money. Government is so mean. Nasty government. They go around and claim you're working with Russia. All day. I don't know Putin, I've never met Putin, I think I would like to work with Putin, but why does everyone think I colluded with Putin. Taxes, taxes are bad. You make too much money and they take more money. All of the money. I am a smart man, though. I don't pay taxes. That makes me smart. Taxes are bad, that's why I don't pay them. Apparently, they're marginal taxes. Marginal just means--Joe and Mika. I hate those two. Nasty people. They begged me for a job while they bleed out of their whatever. It was nasty. Mean people. Nasty like taxes. Taxes are progressive in this country. That's why we need to reform them and make them regressive and conservative. No more marginal. Simple flat tax. You saw the picture of me next to my tax return. It was a big as me. I don't know why I need to fill all those out. But the government says I do. My system would be simple. Three brackets, flat tax. No more marginal, no more progressive. Nice, regressive, conservative.

Don't forget to toss in something about those planes he saved 700 million on. According to that NYT page of lies he wouldn't shut up about it for weeks, despite the cuts already being in place before he was elected

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
US taxes are deliberately designed to be hard to fill out

Propublica posted:

Here’s how preparing your taxes could work: You sit down, review a prefilled filing from the government. If it’s accurate, you sign it. If it’s not, you fix it or ignore it altogether and prepare your return yourself. It’s your choice. You might not have to pay for an accountant, or fiddle for hours with complex software. It could all be over in minutes.

It’s already like that in parts of Europe. And it would not be particularly difficult to give U.S. taxpayers the same option. After all, the government already gets earnings information from employers.

But as ProPublica has detailed again and again, Intuit — the makers of TurboTax — and H&R Block have lobbied for years to derail any move toward such a system. And they continued in 2016.

Intuit spent more than $2 million lobbying last year, much of it spent on legislation that would permanently bar the government from offering taxpayers prefilled returns. H&R Block spent $3 million, also directing some of their efforts towards the bill. Among the 60 co-sponsors of the bipartisan bill: then congressman and now Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Ewan posted:

Yeah also in the UK unless you are pretty rich, or have a complex income situation (multiple incomes, lots of investments, or self employed, etc), taxes all just happen automatically and get deducted from your salary when you're paid. I've worked for nearly 10 yrs and have never had to do any sort of tax form.

Even stuff like pension payments (401(k) equivalent) is taken from your pre-tax pay and happens automatically with no fuckery with tax forms. Same when you invest within your ISA limits - no need to tell the taxman.

Reading this I thought "Well of course we won't do it this way because the good ol' US of A is the greatest country on Earth so naturally we don't need to attempt to improve problems because we're perfect" and then I was reminded of the lobbyists. Always the goddamn lobbyists.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't anyone use online paycheck calculators like paycheckcity.com when thinking about changing jobs or being a raise? It would plainly show that your net income will not go down when moving into a higher marginal rate....

What the gently caress.

Also if people really understood the social security cap they'd be pissed off I assume. I stop having social security withheld around the first week of July, which leaves me with about an extra $1200 a month in net pay.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wouldn't joy in the small things be if he was punched in the dick?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
In a brilliant move, Chris Christie oversees a New Jersey government shutdown.

Because if anything makes you seem sane and popular, it's shutting down state parks and recreation facilities on the 4th of July weekend. Hopefully this isn't an omen of another shutdown on the federal level. :(

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

The misunderstanding might be attributable to how many people don't actually do their own taxes.

Which is amusing because it is literally a 2 page form that maybe..and I stress maybe...require a separate single sheet depending on how you do them. I've been in a long term job that has pretty steady unreimbursed expenses so I've been itemizing for the last 15 years and peoples minds are just blown when I say I take 2 hours every year and crank out three pages and I'm done. All I can think of when people boggle about taxes...especially if they do not have a complicated asset structure (read: The vast majority of filers)...is that these are the people that didn't get the free 300 points on the SAT because they filled the name box out incorrectly.

RasperFat posted:

Because if anything makes you seem sane and popular, it's shutting down state parks and recreation facilities on the 4th of July weekend. Hopefully this isn't an omen of another shutdown on the federal level. :(

Someone needs to load him into a loving cannon and fire him into the sun. I know he's done pretty soon, but please...let's do this right now.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm housesitting my parents dogs, watching Fox news since it's what was on when I turned the TV on. Today's topics include "the media melting down over trump tweets", and "I didn't even know msnbc had a morning show"

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Wouldn't joy in the small things be if he was punched in the dick?

But the dick was punched :confused:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

http://imgur.com/a/tjN4L

Yikes

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Someone needs to load him into a loving cannon and fire him into the sun. I know he's done pretty soon, but please...let's do this right now.

I don't think they make 2000mm cannons

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

US taxes are deliberately designed to be hard to fill out

That is insane.

Here in Australia you have to fill out a tax return every year, but it's designed to be as easy as possible.

Log onto the Australian Tax Office website and enter your tax file number.

Where your employers have already reported their numbers to the ATO, those parts will be filled in automatically for you.

Manually enter any income that hasn't been automatically added.

Go through a series of yes/no questions, when you answer yes to things that you are claiming the site will tell you what information it needs.

Get to the end, and tell the site the bank account you want your refund sent to (if you are getting a refund).

Click lodge. 20 minute process all up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

americans are dumb as hell and don't realize that the highest tax bracket and estate tax will never loving affect them but still cry a river about increasing them.

if you taxed the rich a proper amount you could eliminate taxing the vast majority of americans. i don't understand how they don't grasp that.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'm housesitting my parents dogs, watching Fox news since it's what was on when I turned the TV on. Today's topics include "the media melting down over trump tweets", and "I didn't even know msnbc had a morning show"

Oh dear. Now their viewers know that there are other conservative news shows out there, presented by attractive blondes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Groovelord Neato posted:

americans are dumb as hell

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TBT

https://mobile.twitter.com/PTRSIH/status/807754062640934912

https://mobile.twitter.com/PTRSIH/status/807754771369230337

https://mobile.twitter.com/PTRSIH/status/807755128317087744

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

My dad was a full on Trump supporter until I showed him his twitter page. He had been thinking he was reading from a "non biased news source like CNN or Fox News." Thing is, he was reading OAN.

Only after seeing what Trump was actually saying did he realize just how much of a disaster the presidency has been.

So for that, I agree partly with that comment- just hat most probably draw a different conclusion. I hope Trump tweets his way out of office.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

RasperFat posted:

This seems like a petulant child breaking poo poo because he didn't get his way. "I'm not president, so gently caress everything else."

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

americans are dumb as hell and don't realize that the highest tax bracket and estate tax will never loving affect them but still cry a river about increasing them.

if you taxed the rich a proper amount you could eliminate taxing the vast majority of americans. i don't understand how they don't grasp that.

Anecdotal:

The only taxes that are bullshit (in being too high of a rate) are County personal property taxes. For my house I'm paying about $4,000 annually.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

lol jesus christ this whole thing is shakespearean-ly farcical

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/01/christie-new-jersey-government-shutdown-240162

Reading the reasons for this shutdown I'm less impressed by either sides reasoning for it, but I sincerely doubt Christie's usage of the Horizon fund would be fair and judicious in its application. I'm less opposed to using lottery funds to patch pensions, but I don't know specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
:downs:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/881131788608741376

• Locked thread