Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Good news! We're all having fun the right way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Here is my 1000 point casual Deathguard list.

Typhus (paid 45 points for a plaguereaper, as Manreaper not being listed is obvously an oversight, and he is still a steal compared to a Lord of Contagion)
21 PoxWalkers
22 Poxwalkers
9 Plaguemarines (Power fist, 1 plasma gun, 1 blight launcher)
Bloat Drone
Helbrute (Multi-Melta, fist)

Exactly 1000.

Thoughts?

This will also be the army I try and paint to display quality.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What would be a good model from the entire 40k range that can be painted up very ornately and given things like gold foil decorating it? Something decorated like a religious icon, basically. I'm thinking a highly-revered dreadnought or something like that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goose willis posted:

What would be a good model from the entire 40k range that can be painted up very ornately and given things like gold foil decorating it? Something decorated like a religious icon, basically. I'm thinking a highly-revered dreadnought or something like that.

Answered your own question, a venerable dreadnought. Or a Land Raider.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Thundercloud posted:

Here is my 1000 point casual Deathguard list.

Typhus (paid 45 points for a plaguereaper, as Manreaper not being listed is obvously an oversight, and he is still a steal compared to a Lord of Contagion)
21 PoxWalkers
22 Poxwalkers
9 Plaguemarines (Power fist, 1 plasma gun, 1 blight launcher)
Bloat Drone
Helbrute (Multi-Melta, fist)

Exactly 1000.

Thoughts?

This will also be the army I try and paint to display quality.

It is not an oversight, he is special character and their little column states that their price already includes wargear.

I am not sure why he is just cheaper and better but he is

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Black_Nexus posted:

It is not an oversight, he is special character and their little column states that their price already includes wargear.

I am not sure why he is just cheaper and better but he is

Fair enough, then dropping two poxwalkers gets me 10 cultists with a heavy stubber.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
:thurman:

Transfers ain't poo poo.

Started to get the knack for freehanding the ultima.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Thundercloud posted:

Fair enough, then dropping two poxwalkers gets me 10 cultists with a heavy stubber.

I like the list, but I feel like you could use a Noxious Blightbringer for the extra advance roll since almost everything is movement 4

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Artum posted:

:thurman:

Transfers ain't poo poo.

Started to get the knack for freehanding the ultima.

Shape ways for me 😃

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
£22.50 :eyepop: Perhaps not, GW.

On a lighter note, I dug out an old model while waiting for my primaris marines to show up and painted it to see how I've improved in the 5 years since my original attempt.

I still can't paint faces and I'm not sure the power sword effect worked, but overall I like how it turned out. I think my biggest problem is that I still don't know what to write on the scrolls after all this time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sykic posted:

It seems neither of them have proper options, too. Unless we pop open their data sheets and they have options to pick from wargear lists like every other character, what you pay for is basically all you get. Even then, how long will it be until we get Primaris in flexible enough poses and wargear options to replace weapons like that?

It's a shame, because they could've used this range renovation to make characters work in a much more consumer-friendly way. If one of these guys had a 10 dollar price cut and as many options as, say, a Tyranid Hive Tyrant for construction, it'd probably be a much much easier pill to swallow. Then you're at least paying for more than ten pieces of plastic.

Hell, a drop pod's only 2 dollars more than their rumored price point of $35, and that's a 6-inch tall centerpiece.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 1, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Sykic posted:

On a lighter note, I dug out an old model while waiting for my primaris marines to show up and painted it to see how I've improved in the 5 years since my original attempt.

I still can't paint faces and I'm not sure the power sword effect worked, but overall I like how it turned out. I think my biggest problem is that I still don't know what to write on the scrolls after all this time.

£16.50 from darksphere, not so bad. I bought both 'cos I hate money though.

For the scrolls you should write his name!

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

The Bee posted:

It seems neither of them have proper options, too. Unless we pop open their data sheets and they have options to pick from wargear lists like every other character, what you pay for is basically all you get. Even then, how long will it be until we get Primaris in flexible enough poses and wargear options to replace weapons like that?

It's a shame, because they could've used this range renovation to make characters work in a much more consumer-friendly way. If one of these guys had a 10 dollar price cut and as many options as, say, a Tyranid Hive Tyrant for construction, it'd probably be a much much easier pill to swallow. Then you're at least paying for more than ten pieces of plastic.

Hell, a drop pod's only 2 dollars more than their rumored price point of $35, and that's a 6-inch tall centerpiece.

I still say the best marine kits are the commander and the terminator lord, just because of the sheer number of options they throw in the box. Fixed pose, minimal/no-option kits are the fastest way to turn me off a purchase.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sykic posted:

I still say the best marine kits are the commander and the terminator lord, just because of the sheer number of options they throw in the box. Fixed pose, minimal/no-option kits are the fastest way to turn me off a purchase.

So wait. It's 8 bucks cheaper, comes with far more options, and is far less gaudy / in-your-face with Ultramarine-style greco-Roman design? Why the heck would I ever buy the other one, again?

That said, the fact that so far no two Primaris captain model launches have had the same arsenal (bolter and power sword, not-terminator armor power sword and pistol fist, power fist and plasma pistol, stalker bolter) gives me hope that there'll at least be some decent options for these guys eventually. I just wish they could all be in one kit, instead of spread so thin.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 1, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Gonna have my first 8th game tomorrow against Necrons with my tinyboy marines. Any super hot pointers, aside from the obvious "kill a unit dead dead dead to keep it from reanimating"?

I've played a game as Necrons, kill the aura units, especially the Cryptek.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

So wait. It's 8 bucks cheaper, comes with far more options, and is far less gaudy / in-your-face with Ultramarine-style greco-Roman design? Why the heck would I ever buy the other one, again?

The plume on the helmet is a separate bit, not molded on.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Painted the Primaris Lieutenants. I used the power sword guy in my game the other day and he was excellent so he's getting worked into more lists.

Jeez my highlighting is thick.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Cool new marines!

Battle report: played my 4th game of the new edition. For the first time it was NOT against Tyranids. Shocking. Back down to 1000 pts, I fielded the same usual sort of Imperial Guard Brigade as I have previously. Opponent was Adeptus Mechanicus. First time I've ever played against that army, and they were terrifying. Things were shooting, they got army-wide bonuses, it was really unnerving. My sheer numbers let me hold up better than some armies might have, but I was nearly wiped out by end of turn 5 (I went second, as IG will tend to do in this edition)

I still won 11-4 on objectives. It was loving close though, another turn might have finished me. Most impressed by his Kastelan robots and the awesome firepower put out by his Destroyer squad, using 5-shot grav cannons. I only realise now, though, he overplayed his Kastelans a bit. I was appalled when they moved forward turn 1 and shot twice in the shooting phase, basically killing about 18 conscripts with 4D6 flamer shots. This isn't allowed; that ability prohibits moving from the start of the turn, and I don't think you can even activate it until the second round. Even so, I took away a healthy respect for that army.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Painted the Primaris Lieutenants. I used the power sword guy in my game the other day and he was excellent so he's getting worked into more lists.

Nothing stopping you from thinning them out with the base colour no? I have to do that most of the time.

Sweet fists none the less.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Only my own laziness!

I'm pleased with how the bolter guy's skin came out. Brown is easyish anyway, but it's the best face I've done for a while.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I have a tourney today, 1k points, one "Patrol" detachment only. Mission will be secure and control (the old one objective each, auto tie). You can get up to one bonus command point for being fully painted or fully WYSIWYG.

I had been playing a lot of my demons so I wanted to try out my night lords:

I was building my own spreadsheets to make my lists, then that webpage builder was good enough, but then it went under, so I am back to this...

I figure the bikes and raptors will be fluffy while I get to play with two Demon Princes (my fav unit and models). I am worried it is a little too strong since I can reliably get 2+ to hit rerolling 1s on the biker unit, and it could move somewhere between 28 inches on the first turn and assault something with a lot of chainswords.

I'll try to take pics and report back how the event went.

This spreadsheet is extremely rad and is very 40k to me. Very reminiscent of the roster sheets in the 3rd ed rulebook

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Looks more rogue trader almost.
Picked up an imperium 1 book today. My store only got 5 copies of the 15 requested. Been a little tight on the distribution.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miles O'Brian posted:

This spreadsheet is extremely rad and is very 40k to me. Very reminiscent of the roster sheets in the 3rd ed rulebook

Seriously. WOM would you mind sharing it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

Land Raider Excelsior, but it's only available on eBay unless you're in the UK.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Looks more rogue trader almost.
Picked up an imperium 1 book today. My store only got 5 copies of the 15 requested. Been a little tight on the distribution.

My LFGS was out of rulebooks, and were told they wouldn't get new supplies for quite a while (in Denmark).
He then opended a box set and sold me the book.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Soggy Chips posted:

Dark Imperium and the new box sets are reasonable. That pricing just pushes people towards ChinaForge

Wait, people actually use that? I'd have thought sending CAD documents to factories and hoping they get it right wouldn't be as popular as just grabbing cheap knockoffs from whichever shady ebay seller was to be found.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It physically hurts me to read the new codexes. Who the hell thought that organizing entries by battlefield role was bullshit and stuff should just get willy-nilly.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I noticed something amusing. Skarbrand has a rule which forbids any units within 8" of him from falling back. This means if you pair him up with a bunch of Furies or other flying guys you can make any flyers with a minimum movement automatically crash by charging them and parking him within 8".

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zark the Damned posted:

I noticed something amusing. Skarbrand has a rule which forbids any units within 8" of him from falling back. This means if you pair him up with a bunch of Furies or other flying guys you can make any flyers with a minimum movement automatically crash by charging them and parking him within 8".

That's hilarious. Niche situation but pretty funny little interaction.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zark the Damned posted:

At least most marines flyers can hover

RIP harpies and hive crones though

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

evilmiera posted:

Wait, people actually use that? I'd have thought sending CAD documents to factories and hoping they get it right wouldn't be as popular as just grabbing cheap knockoffs from whichever shady ebay seller was to be found.

I was just meaning recasters/yoyhammer/etc, wasn't aware there was someone with that label that did that :shrug:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

To be fair, most flyers that end up in combat with Skarbrand won't live more than phase anyway.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

xtothez posted:

To be fair, most flyers that end up in combat with Skarbrand won't live more than phase anyway.

Skarbrand isn't a flyer so he can't end up in combat with them. But if he's within 8 inches of them and they're locked in combat by jump infantry or something, they're dead.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously. WOM would you mind sharing it?

Not an empty quote.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Is it weird that I really like metal miniatures?

Like I've been buying some 2nd and 3rd edition metal sculpts of stuff I need like apothecaries and chaplains just because I love metal minis. 40k has better sculpts than warmachine by far, but I love that I can easily build all-metal forces out of my warmachine collection. Some of my basic infantry and warjacks are plastic now, but a lot of poo poo is still metal.

My friends think that this is dumb.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

chutche2 posted:

Is it weird that I really like metal miniatures?

Like I've been buying some 2nd and 3rd edition metal sculpts of stuff I need like apothecaries and chaplains just because I love metal minis. 40k has better sculpts than warmachine by far, but I love that I can easily build all-metal forces out of my warmachine collection. Some of my basic infantry and warjacks are plastic now, but a lot of poo poo is still metal.

My friends think that this is dumb.

A lot of old metal sculpts are awesome as gently caress.

Also most of the warmachine/hordes plastics that I have seem to have awful mold lines in the worst spots.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Got a game in with my under construction Nurgle horde army Vs a mates Necrons. We rolled up relic and I was able to snatch it with some forward deploying nurglings and they spent the rest of the game running away giggling. I ran the army to test out psyker smite spam and drat it can be mean, especially since I rolled a couple of +10 rolls and then rolled 5 or 6 for the mortal wounds. The Plaugecasters were awesome with 2 powers a turn and any power over 7 causing mortal wound around them, also I had undervalued the plague drones but all those sweet sweet flamed hits really made them a nasty threat if allowed to fly around. I also rate the heralds of Nurgle for cheap buffing Daemon HQs that can participate in smite spam or healing bigger Daemons. All in all a bunch of fun and gave me some ideas to tweak the list.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
So I've played four games now, two against space clowns with my GSC / tyranids, one against thousand sons with my GSC, and one against khorne space Marines with my GSC. Harlequins are insane with their special rules and invulnerable save, thousand sons are nasty with ap3 Bolters across the board, and berserkers seem near broken fighting twice in the fight phase.

Gsc doesn't really seem to have any of that, lol. Assaulting out if cult ambush is sweet but it's only happened once. I did manage to spike two Melta rolls from 20" away with a leman russ and did 22 damage to a knight in one turn. I gotta figure out what the real strategy is with gsc so I can stop getting tabled by turn four.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Nice job dude. These look awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Got another game of 8th edition in today.

1. Orks are good, and they murder poo poo in close combat (which happens on T2 with regularity).
2. Orks have a problem dealing with flyers.

3. Twin assault cannons are a hell of a drug. That gun needs a points adjustment when the real Marine codex drops.
4. Don't forget that "hovering" Stormtalons can be charged by non-flying stuff. drat-near cost me a game. o.0

LingcodKilla posted:

It physically hurts me to read the new codexes. Who the hell thought that organizing entries by battlefield role was bullshit and stuff should just get willy-nilly.

This. All day this. :mad: