Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Lassitude posted:

I wonder what the odds are this "voter fraud panel" finds anything other than many millions of votes for Hillary that were illegitimate, no matter how many states comply.
Given the sheer ineptitude of this admin, I'd wager that the report suggesting that all Democratic voters be purged from the rolls to prevent "irregularities" is leaked prior to getting all (or any) data from the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

QuoProQuid posted:

they do some interesting journalism. they did some interesting reporting on euromaidan and life in the so-called donetsk people's republic a few years back.

Ostrovsky's work was great and brave (he's since left), but Vice isn't diligent enough about reviewing a lot of their content. They've propagated a bunch actual FAKE NEWS. They've aped Sputnik headlines. Their journalistic standards are inconsistent. It's not a serious news organization despite occasionally producing good content.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

To be real for a moment, Kobach's voter fraud panel does not have the resources to pursue actual cases of voter fraud. Given his history in Kansas and the language of the request, I expect that the report will focus on those who are registered in two states and try to conflate double registration with illegal voting in multiple states. It will probably also try to make "soft matches" between people with similar names and voting records across state lines, implying that some of these cases might be instances of voting fraud. The panel itself might hear testimony from local and state election officials claiming anecdotal instances of voting fraud or otherwise suspicious behavior.

My concern with 2018 would be the report's recommendations, which might encourage states to purge their voter rolls, institute double registration, and take other measures meant to otherwise reduce "voter fraud." While the report might not stand up to scrutiny for most experts, it might provide motivation to restrict voting for states heavily controlled by one party.

All of this assumes that the panel is able to produce a final report and that there are no egregious instances of manipulation.

Rinkles posted:

Ostrovsky's work was great and brave (he's since left), but Vice isn't diligent enough about reviewing a lot of their content. They've propagated a bunch actual FAKE NEWS. They've aped Sputnik headlines. Their journalistic standards are inconsistent. It's not a serious news organization despite occasionally producing good content.

ah, i was not aware that ostrovsky had left nor vice's decline. that's a shame.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 1, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

Not ADA county, the only good county in Idaho. :colbert:

Yes they are. Look for a decal III surrounded by stars on the back windows of pickups. That's the sign you're about to get cut off too so get the middle finger ready.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Yes they are. Look for a decal III surrounded by stars on the back windows of pickups. That's the sign you're about to get cut off too so get the middle finger ready.

You are talking about 2C though. :confused:

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

If it ends with Tillerson choke-slamming Stephen Miller through the Resolute Desk, it will almost have been worth it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It sucks when Australia has a less broken government than America and forward thinking taxation, despite being controlled by people who built a refugee concentration camp on Papua New Guinea.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ringo Star Get posted:

Watch Trump get a Nobel prize.

If someone with a verified Twitter account can message Trump that Obama making fun of him at the 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner is the reason why he didn't win that year's Nobel Prize for Business and get a response out of him I will buy you the account upgrade of your choice.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AbsolutelySane posted:

If it ends with Tillerson choke-slamming Stephen Miller through the Resolute Desk, it will almost have been worth it.

Depends, does Stephen Miller have glasses?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Depends, does Stephen Miller have glasses?

No he's just a white supremacist Jew with an aging disease that makes him hate the world.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The scariest thing to think about regarding future elections is what's stopping russia from just doing it again?

Hell, they could do it even better this time, they are defunding the only agency that protects against vote hacking, what's to happen if the party in power doesn't mind so long as it benefits them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even if 99 percent of voter fraud was missed (obviously unlikely) it'd mean there were only 400 fraudulent votes in any given presidential election. it's the most mountain out of a molehill thing possible.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The scariest thing to think about regarding future elections is what's stopping russia from just doing it again?

Hell, they could do it even better this time, they are defunding the only agency that protects against vote hacking, what's to happen if the party in power doesn't mind so long as it benefits them.

Absolutely nothing; they will continue their interference and not only are we ill prepared, no one in power seems to care to prepare us--instead taking every opportunity possible to make things worse for personal gain.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

we're more than likely going to find out

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

even if 99 percent of voter fraud was missed (obviously unlikely) it'd mean there were only 400 fraudulent votes in any given presidential election. it's the most mountain out of a molehill thing possible.

It's to make voting harder for those who don't vote Republican.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh i know exactly why they're doing it. they're a minority party and wouldn't have any federal power if we had voting like the uk.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Oh hey, DC area bluegrass station 105.5 is now a Russian owned news station. At least the 88.5-2 station is still bluegrass.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Apropos of nothing, my hate of seeing Trump's face in every article for the last few months has been tempered lately by just how awful he looks now. Other presidents age horribly in office, but none have ever begun in the awful shape 45 is in. This is the apex, not the nadir, and it's going to fun watching a narcissist deal with how progressively shittier they look every day. This, of course, assumes his dementia doesn't keep pace with his exterior degeneration and he's already calling people mommy at that point.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Oh hey, DC area bluegrass station 105.5 is now a Russian owned news station. At least the 88.5-2 station is still bluegrass.

Is anyone talking about this on a national level?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

QuoProQuid posted:

To be real for a moment, Kobach's voter fraud panel does not have the resources to pursue actual cases of voter fraud. Given his history in Kansas and the language of the request, I expect that the report will focus on those who are registered in two states and try to conflate double registration with illegal voting in multiple states. It will probably also try to make "soft matches" between people with similar names and voting records across state lines, implying that some of these cases might be instances of voting fraud. The panel itself might hear testimony from local and state election officials claiming anecdotal instances of voting fraud or otherwise suspicious behavior.

My concern with 2018 would be the report's recommendations, which might encourage states to purge their voter rolls, institute double registration, and take other measures meant to otherwise reduce "voter fraud." While the report might not stand up to scrutiny for most experts, it might provide motivation to restrict voting for states heavily controlled by one party.

All of this assumes that the panel is able to produce a final report and that there are no egregious instances of manipulation.

Yeah they are going to flag every name ending in Garcia and Rodriguez while ignoring all the snowbird olds who are registered at both their summer house and their winter house.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ZobarStyl posted:

Other presidents age horribly in office

It's always so weird how many people think this concept is a real thing, instead of just metaphorical or something.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Lightning Lord posted:

It sucks when Australia has a less broken government than America and forward thinking taxation, despite being controlled by people who built a refugee concentration camp on Papua New Guinea.

Don't forget Nauru!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's always so weird how many people think this concept is a real thing, instead of just metaphorical or something.

No one thinks the Resolute Desk literally drains their essence but it's one of the most stressful jobs in the world, even if you're acting like Trump

Smol posted:

Don't forget Nauru!

And Christmas Island!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So are these 15+ people on Mueller's team working on the Russia/Trump stuff full time, or is it more like a couple of hours a week per person?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So are these 15+ people on Mueller's team working on the Russia/Trump stuff full time, or is it more like a couple of hours a week per person?

I was just thinking about when the budget of the investigation would become a RW talking point.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rinkles posted:

I was just thinking about when the budget of the investigation would become a RW talking point.

Well it looks like Mueller has a team who have hosed up some serious people's poo poo so I hope they're all working solely on this and it's not "oh we call this guy once a month to get his advice on stuff".

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Jealous Cow posted:

Is anyone talking about this on a national level?

So the station was up for sale last year, I know someone who was trying to organize a buy, and it looks like the FM station was sold while WAMU is keeping the HD station. Just surprised at who bought it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lightning Lord posted:

No one thinks the Resolute Desk literally drains their essence but it's one of the most stressful jobs in the world, even if you're acting like Trump

:tinfoil: where is the Resolute Desk sending all the vitality it drains? Perhaps to its partner at Saint James Palace! Where it is harvested by some sort of famously long-lived world leader! Sure, they deny the existence of the twin desk, but that's just what they would say, isn't it? :tinfoil:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ZobarStyl posted:

Apropos of nothing, my hate of seeing Trump's face in every article for the last few months has been tempered lately by just how awful he looks now. Other presidents age horribly in office, but none have ever begun in the awful shape 45 is in. This is the apex, not the nadir, and it's going to fun watching a narcissist deal with how progressively shittier they look every day. This, of course, assumes his dementia doesn't keep pace with his exterior degeneration and he's already calling people mommy at that point.

Here: Make America Kittens Again

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/make-america-kittens-agai/klchnmggepghlcolikgaekpibclpmgcm?hl=en

You're welcome :)

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I doubt anyone tapped by Mueller is working part-time.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Covok posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a family member, let alone a parent.

Hey, thanks man. In a way I'm glad he didn't have to see too much of this recent nonsense (he was the child of immigrants, and honestly loved this country a whole lot despite it's flaws), but yeah, this past winter was rough on a lot of fronts. He was really proud of my brother and I for protesting and being involved in our respective cities, though, so I kinda let that keep me going sometimes :unsmith:

Gorilla Salad posted:

If someone with a verified Twitter account can message Trump that Obama making fun of him at the 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner is the reason why he didn't win that year's Nobel Prize for Business and get a response out of him I will buy you the account upgrade of your choice.

I have access to one through work, but I'm pretty sure an art museum dunking on him would lead to an executive order abolishing the NEA or demanding a portrait of himself be added to every collection or some other awful thing

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, but even the idea that job stress "ages you" is based on a weird web of folk belief about how stress and aging work mixed with a bunch of misapplied science were people conflate "medical stress" and "personal stress". Presidents generally live longer than the citizens of the country. It's mostly a media thing where it's a person aging from ~55 to ~ 63 and not hollywood hiding it the way male stars normally do.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ZobarStyl posted:

It'll happen, but it definitely won't be because of the pressures of the office. It's hard to let the Presidency age you when you're taking 3-4 day golf weekends every week and otherwise ignoring the more stressful aspects of the job as much as possible.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Please keep tweeting, Donny. Keep digging yourself deeper.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
He's still in a situation every day where he is facing a strong disconnect between the way he perceives himself, the best, and the way America perceives him. I think he might be facing the same amount of stress other presidents have faced, only in his case the stress comes from having to engage in industrial scale cognitive dissonance and rationalization and other petty nonsense rather than having to wrestle with complex issues in search of solutions.

The constant tweeting and petty feuds are not the actions of a chill man happy with where he is and how things are going.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

They look like tired shapeshifters struggling to hold back their real forms.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Your Taint posted:

Please keep tweeting, Donny. Keep digging yourself deeper.

You could put together a whole book, perhaps multiple volumes, of just his tweets since Inauguration and maybe a short bit of text providing context. And it would be the Great American Story of avarice over intelligence, profits over morals, and bigotry over harmony. It's not the book this country wants, but it's the one this country deserves.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
MSNBC must be thrilled by these tweets as there's no way they don't help increase ratings.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"Maybe it wasn't worth coming back from the Moon for this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The most :wtc: face i've ever seen in politics.

• Locked thread