Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Check out this pricing data point:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23850/lot/155/
Probably in decent shape, but also on an old timing belt.

Doesn't have the later Challenge carbon fiber seats, but used to be a concours winner. I guess my selling price wasn't so bad, then.

Especially considering the undignified end of the belt, I'd say not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hit my limit on the Toyota Seven. The other bidder has won 9 cars on BaT, so I wasn't gonna get it at a price I liked.

I found a Locost that hits all the MA inspection items and has a reasonably non-exotic drivetrain:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18559
Needs a rollbar, though mounting points exist on the Locost frame design.

Part of me wants to take a deep breath and start saving pennies for this:
http://www.racingjunk.com/Vintage/182879229/1965-RCR-Ford-GT40-.html#4
I found a previous for sale listing at 79k: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/48800-rcr-1965-gt40.html
Contacted the new seller; he says he's building something new and looking to sell by the end of the year.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Part of me wants to take a deep breath and start saving pennies for this:
http://www.racingjunk.com/Vintage/182879229/1965-RCR-Ford-GT40-.html#4
I found a previous for sale listing at 79k: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/48800-rcr-1965-gt40.html
Contacted the new seller; he says he's building something new and looking to sell by the end of the year.

If your considering GT40 replicas in that price range, I would suggest saving a bit more for a Superformance replica. That is a proper recreation that is valid for FIA historic racing, which makes it a bit more robust as an investment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Those are nice, but the ones I've seen are all healthily above 100k. And I never assume anything I buy will hold value.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I never assume anything I buy will hold value.
Sometimes I feel I'm pushing it to expect the cars I buy to hold fluids.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Sometimes I feel I'm pushing it to expect the cars I buy to hold fluids.

Aka the Boxster and something up front >:o.
Either the hoses or the heater core or maybe the blend door is causing a patch of fog to appear at the base of the windshield, and subsequently flood the entire window if I try to run defrost.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Did I see that right? You bought a europa?

When I was a kid, my car-flipping uncle had a JPS liveried one for a hot second. I never got a ride in it, and he sold it after about a month of slapping dealer plates on it. He STILL talks about how he regrets selling that car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

glyph posted:

Did I see that right? You bought a europa?

When I was a kid, my car-flipping uncle had a JPS liveried one for a hot second. I never got a ride in it, and he sold it after about a month of slapping dealer plates on it. He STILL talks about how he regrets selling that car.

JPS livery is the best, and perhaps only, way to have a Europa.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:ssh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

JPS livery is the best, and perhaps only, way to have a Europa.
All these colours are optional except JPS black & gold. Attempt no repainting there. Use them together. Use them in peace.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 2, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

!!!!!

Want me to edit the post?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

glyph posted:

!!!!!

Want me to edit the post?

Nah. I just don't want to reveal until all the ducks are in a row, wrt RMV. Which should be easy since it's in state and has a normal plate on it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Amazing. There's one in my neighborhood that I see every few weeks and the last time I was wondering, "Is that weird enough for kimbo's tastes?"

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Lotus El-Camino? I mean for a look at me car you certainly couldn't do worse.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just read through like 70% of this thread and god drat do I wish I found you in Boston while you still had the 348. Driving through the city or flying down Storrow on a warm summer night at night in that beauty..my dream!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I also just power read this thread over the last few days. That 348 was amazing, I'm excited for the next adventure.

I loved the fact you showed all the weird little design choices which us plebs don't usually get to see.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The guy who bought your Ferrari just bought 3 911s in France... I don't think rebuilding the engine in your old car will be a stretch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Last I heard from him, the shop was able to source all the parts, and that it's good enough stock. So no 9000rpm redline :(

Don't wanna leave you guys hanging -- got the car and spares and docs, which included:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Balls of Steel.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

kimbo305 posted:

Last I heard from him, the shop was able to source all the parts, and that it's good enough stock. So no 9000rpm redline :(

Don't wanna leave you guys hanging -- got the car and spares and docs, which included:

Can you get the car registered with that plate? MA has a pretty good old plate program. I had no trouble getting my grandmother's old 5 character plates (K 3839) registered for my Miata. Granted, those were Blue and Red plates with a 1993 sticker, not a 1973 sticker. Last week I saw an old plate in that font but in dark green (not the more common and recent light green plate). Worth calling the MA special plates department to see if they'll do it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Oh good, blown up electrical diagrams... You'll need those! :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

Blown up diagrams of electrics, or diagrams of blown up electrics?

Best get both...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like they're laminated too, better for frequent use!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If death has a plan to burn me alive in a car, it's a pretty good plan given the cars involved.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Will we muffinpox style autocross review? I hope the answer is yes!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think so, but I want to drive it really hard first just in case it blows up.
I'll start a new thread for the Lotus when I have it registered. Hagerty doesn't email RMV-1s like other insurance companies, but mails it physically instead.

The 348 owner finally uninstalled the aftermarket power antenna. They also found this hole in the fiberglass:

I don't remember if I ever found it. You'd think I would have seen it mounting the plate, but doesn't ring a bell.
Maybe for an aftermarket backup camera?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

sharkytm posted:

One of the funniest things about the purchase was the seller casually mentioning that between his triumph and the Europa, the only issues he ever had with the cars is the ignition systems completely failing and the fact he carries basically an entirely new one with him everywhere.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Will we muffinpox style autocross review? I hope the answer is yes!

I wasn't planning on it but for you? :getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

New owner of the 348 sent along these and a grainy idling video:

Not sure what the tech in the engine bay is up to. Also wasn't 100% sure that the 348 mirrors could fold like that. Never tested it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
It's so cool that the new owner keeps sending you pics.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Lotus pics.

Show me the weird please. I.e. how does that car weigh 1500 pounds?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

glyph posted:

Lotus pics.

Show me the weird please. I.e. how does that car weigh 1500 pounds?

Come this way, my friend.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

:doh: I don't know how I missed that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

"Today we passed the technical scrutineering for Dutch Road registration" :unsmith:

"Next week we Will join an italian Historic Event!" :getin:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Oh of course he will... I follow him on Instagram, he's got a loving nice life.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is his username?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

"Today we passed the technical scrutineering for Dutch Road registration" :unsmith:

"Next week we Will join an italian Historic Event!" :getin:

Is it wrong to live vicariously through you to live vicariously through him?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm considering planning a vacation to Holland just so I can get in on whatever AI-related thing his shop is up to.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

What is his username?

https://www.instagram.com/erik_kouwenhoven/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

YEAHHH, that dude is living the loving dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hmm, that's not the buyer. The owner has like 2 instagram posts; his shop is slightly more active:
https://www.instagram.com/tachyonmotorsport/

• Locked thread