Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

TNG era Romulans seem to be biologically different than Vulcans even though that shouldn't work?

Maybe it's some kinda weird Galapagos effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Romulans branching off from Vulcans will just never make sense. They both live too long for there to be enough generations to become different enough after attaining interstellar travel.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

You'd still be able to detect the physical presence of gasses in the vacuum, though.

In TNG+ the cloak was a very binary "you're either detected or not" thing like fighter stealth but the way it was in "Balance of Terror" with being able to tell something was out there, just not precise enough for an exact target lock, was really more accurate and interesting to me. I like my Trek space more naval than aerial, and cloaking clearly started off analogous with submarine warfare.

Cojawfee posted:

Romulans branching off from Vulcans will just never make sense. They both live too long for there to be enough generations to become different enough after attaining interstellar travel.

Again that's something you can peg on modern Trek, remember the original concept for the Romulans was literally just "Vulcans who were jerks and went off to build an empire". Although if the surface gravity of Romulus was significantly less than that of Vulcan they would rapidly lose muscle tone within single generations as a physiological adaptation, while remaining genetically indistinct.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 30, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Xibanya posted:

My personal theory is that all Vulcans have Borderline Personality Disorder and created a society to function in spite of it. This would provide an actual rational explanation as to why it's bad for them to not take steps to address their base state.
If everyone has the disorder, is it even a disorder any more?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

If everyone has the disorder, is it even a disorder any more?

Not by DSM definitions but our definitions are extremely problematic outside of individual diagnosis and even then are sketchy as hell but the best we have for now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Beyond was better than the previous two installments, but it certainly had its own issues.

I REALLY would have liked a start trek movie to end without our protagonist having a slugfest in a precarious environment since that hasn't happened for 25 loving years.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bull3964 posted:

Beyond was better than the previous two installments, but it certainly had its own issues.

I REALLY would have liked a start trek movie to end without our protagonist having a slugfest in a precarious environment since that hasn't happened for 25 loving years.

I don't remember Picard getting into a fist fight with the Borg Queen.

Though that would have been hilarious.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Data did punch a plasma conduit though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McNally posted:

He literally kicks her and breaks her neck.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

WampaLord posted:

He literally kicks her and breaks her neck.

Slugfest implies fist fight. :colbert:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

They either need to stop doing that or lean into it even harder. For instance, end a movie with a shirtless fistfight on top of a submarine while a remix of the theme song plays in the background. :ocelot:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

8one6 posted:

I want to elaborate on this. Star Trek Beyond came after Into Darkness, a terrible Trek film that, while it still made bucket loads of money, seemed to actively insult a large percentage (but not all) of the Trek fans at the time. Then you have the lead up where they were going to let one of the writers of Into Darkness (and most of the Bayformers films) direct the next movie (having never directed anything before, not even a commercial or tv episode). That eroded a lot of good will.

Then he was kicked off the project, everyone celebrated, then it was announced that Simon Pegg (a legit Trekkie if ever there was one) was going to help write the new movie, everyone celebrated, then Justin Lin was announced as director.

This is where the trailer of the making of movie would play the record scratch.

A lot of nerds (myself included) hadn't watched any Fast and/or Furious movies. We didn't know that they had become great entertainment, we just saw Paramount release two movies worth of "This ain't your boring nerd star trek. This trek is extreme!" [kickflips hoverboard off Enterprise while slamming a mountain dew!!!] and a lot of people wrote Beyond off then and there.

"Don't Worry," everyone said "Justin Lin is a good director, Simon Pegg is writing. It'll be good, you'll see!" There was some tentative good will because Pegg was releasing interviews showed off that he "got" Trek.

And then Paramount released this as the first trailer. All that good will they were rebuilding, disappeared in a cloud of motorcycle exhaust. (One of the FX guys said they didn't have any shots of Yorktown or any really good space shots finished when the trailer was cut).

Paramount, having only made Beyond because of the 50th anniversary anyway, threw up its hands, and decided to spend no money marketing it.

And then it came out and was the best Star Trek thing since the end of DS9.

This, and also because there was the sense it was the end and not leading to anything. When we watched Star Trek movies in the 80s and 90s, they were advancing the overall story of the universe and our favorite characters. This is a "side universe" that won't continue on TV, is 100 years behind the main story, and made like half a billion dollars and was deemed a "failure" and had low odds to get a sequel. And if it does get a 4th movie, it'll be the last one.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Delsaber posted:

They either need to stop doing that or lean into it even harder. For instance, end a movie with a shirtless fistfight on top of a submarine while a remix of the theme song plays in the background. :ocelot:

I would give a kidney to see this scene play out with Kirk Vs. Sisko.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I would give a kidney to see this scene play out with Kirk Vs. Sisko.

This begs the "who would win?" question. My first inclination was to say The Sisko, but The Sisko is half Prophet, i.e. a god, and Kirk has a spotless record of beating "gods."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This begs the "who would win?" question. My first inclination was to say The Sisko, but The Sisko is half Prophet, i.e. a god, and Kirk has a spotless record of beating "gods."

Clearly they'd beat each other senseless, then collapse bloodied, but laughing.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 1, 2017

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Great, the one Canadian in Star Trek is loving Eddington. :canada:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pssst, I heard Commander Riker was Canadian.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's from Alaska.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh. *makes awkward smalltalk at the bar*

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

If The Sisko wins Admiral Ross will yell at him for causing a time paradox.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If Admiral Ross yells at him for causing a time paradox, The Sisko will win.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Bloop posted:

Not by DSM definitions but our definitions are extremely problematic outside of individual diagnosis and even then are sketchy as hell but the best we have for now
Well I meant in the sense of, let's say every Vulcan - or at least the vast majority, to the point where it's normative - has certain behaviors or habits or whatever that we would consider a particular personality disorder.

Can we say that that is a personality disorder... for a Vulcan? Wouldn't that just be... "Vulcan normal"?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Delsaber posted:

If The Sisko wins Admiral Ross will yell at him for causing a time paradox.

But he'll get the "Problem Solved, Series Over" achievement, though!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vulcans had a eugenics war too, but only the augmented supervulcans survived on their home planet, and the baseline Vulcans ended up fleeling and becoming romulans.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://trekmovie.com/2017/06/29/picard-gets-jacked-in-star-trek-tng-mirror-broken-2-review-5-page-preview/

Mirror Broken looking pretty hilarious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

McNally posted:

There's still a dumb action sequence in engineering that involves our captain hanging precariously over certain death.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love how completely over the top it is. There should be no making sense of the Mirror Universe, it just is. And of course Mirror Picard is doing wrestling moves, he looks like friggin' Hulk Hogan.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Well I meant in the sense of, let's say every Vulcan - or at least the vast majority, to the point where it's normative - has certain behaviors or habits or whatever that we would consider a particular personality disorder.

Can we say that that is a personality disorder... for a Vulcan? Wouldn't that just be... "Vulcan normal"?

Yeah definitely. It still might be useful to describe them with terms like sociopathy or whatever to illustrate the way in which their baseline is different from humans but it wouldn't be a disorder if it was "normal" for them. Same with Klingons and anger issues or Romulan paranoia or whatever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McSpanky posted:

I love how completely over the top it is. There should be no making sense of the Mirror Universe, it just is. And of course Mirror Picard is doing wrestling moves, he looks like friggin' Hulk Hogan.

Living in the Mirror Universe must be exhausting, just constantly watching your back all the time because everyone is an arsehole, and having to be good at your job. Everyone must triple lock their doors at night, check every nook and cranny before just collapsing on the sofa.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
How the gently caress did the mirror universe people ever survive long enough to invent the spaceship

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skasion posted:

How the gently caress did the mirror universe people ever survive long enough to invent the spaceship

Invent? They stole it, mostly. Stormed the Vulcan ship that landed in Montana, stole TOS-level tech from the USS Defiant in Enterprise, got knocked over by the Klingon-Cardassians in DS9, then in the comics they've revved back up and stolen all the good poo poo from them again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Living in the Mirror Universe must be exhausting, just constantly watching your back all the time because everyone is an arsehole, and having to be good at your job. Everyone must triple lock their doors at night, check every nook and cranny before just collapsing on the sofa.

There was a comic that addressed this issue. I think it was one set in the Wrath of Khan/Search For Spock era, where Mirror Universe versions of Kirk, Saavik, etc come into our universe and steal the Enterprise. One of the characters talked about how he admired the Prime universe crew because where they had camaraderie and friendship, he just had to look behind his back all the time.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I finished reading issues 1 & 2 of mirror broken and I can't wait for swolepicard to backhand weasley when he tells that kid to shut up.

"SHUUUUT UP WEEEEEASLEY"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What if there's a mirror universe in the other direction too? A universe where everyone is milquetoast and bland and good-natured to the point of simpering, where the most popular hobby is collecting different colors of dryer lint, and even something like a court martial feels more like an episode of Barney and Friends. Where they'd be politely aghast to discover that in the prime universe, people sometimes compete against each other, and can even consider that a friendly thing to do. O'Brien and Bashir from the Wimpazoid universe just can't believe that their counterparts enjoy hurling spiked projectiles at a target, and keeping close track of who is hurling more accurately so that one can be aggrandized over the other. (Let's not even TALK about their holodeck recreations of the prime universe's truly twisted version of the great British and German Aerobatics Fun Festivals of the 1910s.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

What if there's a mirror universe in the other direction too? A universe where everyone is milquetoast and bland and good-natured to the point of simpering, where the most popular hobby is collecting different colors of dryer lint, and even something like a court martial feels more like an episode of Barney and Friends. Where they'd be politely aghast to discover that in the prime universe, people sometimes compete against each other, and can even consider that a friendly thing to do. O'Brien and Bashir from the Wimpazoid universe just can't believe that their counterparts enjoy hurling spiked projectiles at a target, and keeping close track of who is hurling more accurately so that one can be aggrandized over the other. (Let's not even TALK about their holodeck recreations of the prime universe's truly twisted version of the great British and German Aerobatics Fun Festivals of the 1910s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

All I know is my gut says maybe.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Powered Descent posted:

That's the universe where barcaly is captain of the enterprise and he has to deal with lt. Jean luc "pickles" Picard

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe it was this universe

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, the Wimpazoid universe would just surrender to the Borg. "Resistance is futile, you say? Okay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WampaLord posted:

Yea, the Wimpazoid universe would just surrender to the Borg. "Resistance is futile, you say? Okay."

Oh dang! Well, we don't want to upset anyone!