Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/880598230714548224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

He's not entirely wrong and doesn't go deep enough. But then again Black Panther so.

I am fine with Wonder Woman keeping Cheetara on a leash as her pet to continue the empowerment and bondage themes and messages.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There were lots and lots of male superheroes with cat motifs anyway

Ah, yes, these widely known, iconic benchmarks of the male dominated superhero industry.

Maybe I'm reaching and seeing something that isn't there, but in a genre dominated by male characters, it seems more than coincidental that, proportionately at least, female super heroes are rather heavy on the cat motif. Hellcat, Black Cat, Catwoman, Tigra, Cheetah, Shadowcat. Also, weird that that Kane quote equates cats versus dogs, since god knows there's a never ending of cast of poplar male superheroes with dog-like powers. Who could forget Dog Man, Man Dog, Captain Bulldog, Rottweiler, Pitt Bull, Terrier and Pug? I almost left out Black Lab , The Golden Retriever, Chihuahua, Greyhound and Bloodhound.

Truthfully, it wouldn't surprise me if half of those characters I just jokingly made up actually exist so maybe I'm on about nothing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Black Panther, mon frere

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Ah, yes, these widely known, iconic benchmarks of the male dominated superhero industry.

Maybe I'm reaching and seeing something that isn't there, but in a genre dominated by male characters, it seems more than coincidental that, proportionately at least, female super heroes are rather heavy on the cat motif. Hellcat, Black Cat, Catwoman, Tigra, Cheetah, Shadowcat. Also, weird that that Kane quote equates cats versus dogs, since god knows there's a never ending of cast of poplar male superheroes with dog-like powers. Who could forget Dog Man, Man Dog, Captain Bulldog, Rottweiler, Pitt Bull, Terrier and Pug? I almost left out Black Lab , The Golden Retriever, Chihuahua, Greyhound and Bloodhound.

Truthfully, it wouldn't surprise me if half of those characters I just jokingly made up actually exist so maybe I'm on about nothing.

Better examples are Black Panther and Sabertooth, although Catwoman technically beat BP to a solo film (with a supremely lovely movie!)

I still think you're right to an extent but Bob Kane is just an example of extreme idiocy, especially for the bolded reason. Wildcat and Catman obviously look stupid af there but have been featured pretty prominently in DC Comics in the past few decades. Then arguably the Thundercats are superhero-esque.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BiggerBoat posted:

I deliberately picked some of the weirder obscure characters like Tiger Boy. :ssh:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first black superhero was Lion Man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BiggerBoat posted:

Who could forget Dog Man, Man Dog, Captain Bulldog, Rottweiler, Pitt Bull, Terrier and Pug? I almost left out Black Lab , The Golden Retriever, Chihuahua, Greyhound and Bloodhound.

I was curious so I went looking and I found Dog Man, Captain Bulldog, Rottweiler, Pittbull and Bloodhound but they were all really obscure comicbook characters. Dog Man appeared in one issue of Grafik Muzik and had his debut appearance in Amazing Heroes Swimsuit Special #2 - Swimsuit Special 1991 but it looks like there aren't even any pictures of him on the internet.

It seems that most of the canine-themed superheroes went for wolves (mostly werewolves), jackals or foxes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The first black superhero was Lion Man.

Does anyone know if Demon Planet still exists anywhere or is it lost to the mists of time

Or does anyone even remember what that is now

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Does anyone know if Demon Planet still exists anywhere or is it lost to the mists of time

Uhh... Planet of the Vampires? :shrug:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

No I meant the comic strip featuring a character called Lion Man. I think it was done by a fyad or was popular in fyad at least, it ruled. Looked like it was drawn on notebook paper and was like an opium dream Conan filtered through NES games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

No I meant the comic strip featuring a character called Lion Man. I think it was done by a fyad or was popular in fyad at least, it ruled. Looked like it was drawn on notebook paper and was like an opium dream Conan filtered through NES games

I remember what you're talking about and it must still exist somewhere.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was curious so I went looking and I found Dog Man, Captain Bulldog, Rottweiler, Pittbull and Bloodhound but they were all really obscure comicbook characters. Dog Man appeared in one issue of Grafik Muzik and had his debut appearance in Amazing Heroes Swimsuit Special #2 - Swimsuit Special 1991 but it looks like there aren't even any pictures of him on the internet.

It seems that most of the canine-themed superheroes went for wolves (mostly werewolves), jackals or foxes.

Holt poo poo. Post these please. Were any of the dog characters female? I'm not sure what I'm trying to explore here but it's funny to me nevertheless.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BiggerBoat posted:

Holt poo poo. Post these please.

Pitbull:

Bloodhound:

Captain Bulldog:

Doberman and his sidekick Rottweiler:

Also you know how Marvel comics have hundreds of alternate earths? Of course there's one where everyone is a dog.

Here's a huge list of dog-themed characters: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/multiplus/lists/beware-of-dogs/19107/?page=1

BiggerBoat posted:

Were any of the dog characters female? I'm not sure what I'm trying to explore here but it's funny to me nevertheless.

Most of the human superheroines with dog-themed names or powers tend to be based on foxes, such as Crimson Fox, Vixen, Silver Fox, etc.. There's a few anthropomorphic dog-themed female characters like Yankee Poodle and Lady Diablador.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pitbull:

Bloodhound:

Captain Bulldog:

Doberman and his sidekick Rottweiler:

Also you know how Marvel comics have hundreds of alternate earths? Of course there's one where everyone is a dog.

Here's a huge list of dog-themed characters: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/multiplus/lists/beware-of-dogs/19107/?page=1

Most of the human superheroines with dog-themed names or powers tend to be based on foxes, such as Crimson Fox, Vixen, Silver Fox, etc.. There's a few anthropomorphic dog-themed female characters like Yankee Poodle and Lady Diablador.

Thanks for this. I needed a good laugh.

edit: Captain WINSTON Bulldog, I beg your pardon sir.

*shits on the rug*

*eats it*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for this. I needed a good laugh.

Never underestimate the depths of idiocy that comicbooks are capable of reaching. :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/880657602157457409

See thread title.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DeimosRising posted:

Bio Apocalypse

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Surely you all haven't forgotten Mr PeanutButter?

It's one word

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Six movies across just under three years. :wtc:

So like, we'll say three of those are X-Men-related flicks. Are they really gonna try Fantastic Four again so soon?

New X-Men flick, standalone Mystique flick, New X-Men flick II, Fantastic Four, what else do they have?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 1, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

So like, we'll say three of those are X-Men-related flicks. Are they really gonna try Fantastic Four again so soon?

New X-Men flick, standalone Mystique flick, New X-Men flick II, Fantastic Four, what else do they have?

uh deadpool 2 ofc

one of those x-mens will probably be the new mutants or x-force things that get rumored every once in awhile

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Neo Rasa posted:

Gambit :v:

6 films in under 3 years isn't particularly strange; they had 5 films in 3 years recently (Days of Future Past, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Apocalypse, Logan), and WB/DC and Disney/Marvel have both had kept up a similar pace.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

This is some Hitmen For Destiny poo poo right here.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My guesses for the six Fox films:
-Two standard X-Men films
-X-Force
-Deadpool 3
-another attempt at Fantastic Four
-Gambit, or some other X-Men spinoff

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Logan sequel, the Mex-Men, starring X-23

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Quoting myself to say that if you have archive access, here's the original source thread.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

all-Rush mixtape posted:

-Gambit, or some other X-Men spinoff

At this point the only one that wants a Gambit movie is Tatum.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Hey man Gambit was probably my favorite x-man in the late 90's.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
One of my favoites too, but I never really saw him as carrying his own film.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alhazred posted:

Fox is trying really hard to bring in the Theives and Assassins Guilds so they can say Magneto can also cosplay as ancient warrior ancestors in addition to controlling magnets.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Are they really gonna try Fantastic Four again so soon?

When Constantin Film bought the films rights to the Fantastic Four back in 1986 part of the deal was that they had to start production on a new film ever X number of years or the rights would revert back to Marvel. They might not actually release the film on time (the 2005 film originally had a 2001 release date) or they might not even release the film at all (as happened with the infamous 1994 Roger Corman film) but they have to actually be paying someone to work on it and announce a date.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Fox has to have "active production" on a Fantastic Four movie within 7 years of the last one being finished.

Active production doesn't really mean anything, though. They could technically slow roll it and Marvel would have to take them to court and prove that they are purposefully trying to breach the terms of the contract.

There are only 3 ways Marvel can get the FF rights back:

1) Outright buy them from Fox
2) Fox doesn't have a movie in production within 7 years.
3) There is a severance clause in Marvel's IP deals where if they can prove that the other studio is purposefully making decisions/movies that are bad in order to damage the Marvel brand or IP they can get it back for breach of contract.

It would be very hard to prove that Fox is going slowly or making bad movies on purpose.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, full reviews are up for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Very positive overall. 93% on Rotten tomatoes.

The biggest complaint from reviewers is... that there is no backstory or origin for Spider-Man in the movie at all.

:psyduck:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There is no backstory or origin for Spider-Man in the movie at all.

Awesome.

Finally.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Also, full reviews are up for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Very positive overall. 93% on Rotten tomatoes.

The biggest complaint from reviewers is... that there is no backstory or origin for Spider-Man in the movie at all.

Not even a flashback to Uncle Ben's death?

gently caress that. Boycott this film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

C'est magnifique
:discourse:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fox has to have "active production" on a Fantastic Four movie within 7 years of the last one being finished.

Active production doesn't really mean anything, though. They could technically slow roll it and Marvel would have to take them to court and prove that they are purposefully trying to breach the terms of the contract.

There are only 3 ways Marvel can get the FF rights back:

1) Outright buy them from Fox
2) Fox doesn't have a movie in production within 7 years.
3) There is a severance clause in Marvel's IP deals where if they can prove that the other studio is purposefully making decisions/movies that are bad in order to damage the Marvel brand or IP they can get it back for breach of contract.

It would be very hard to prove that Fox is going slowly or making bad movies on purpose.

I know Fantastic Four 2015 bombed but even fewer people saw it than I thought if this hasn't happened already. :laffo:

I feel like a Gambit movie will never happen because Gambit is the kind of character that if you're a kid/teenager he's the coolest dude ever and from a distance as an adult he seems cool. But as you grow up you realize he'd be like the shittiest person on earth to hang out with.

That said I'm all for a movie about a cheating womanizer alcoholic gambling addict super hero. DA TIIIIIITHE.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 1, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

AND I'm completely ok with it. :woop:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

See, this is why we have to see Thomas and Martha die 2-4 times every Batman movie. Peter and Bruce just have such complicated and obscure origin stories that audiences can't just follow along without watching that snuff film footage to get into the mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I now Fantastic Four 2015 bombed but even fewer people saw it than I thought if this hasn't happened already. :laffo:

I think it's telling that Hollywood is still trying to make a decent Fantastic Four, but if one movie with a female super hero bombs (the cast in Fantastic Four is mainly male) it can take over a decade before they try it again.

• Locked thread