Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It's a little worrying that Doctor Who is apparently such a slog to film that even Capaldi said 'gently caress this, it isn't fun anymore'.

It seems inherently British to not want to keep the same acting job for very long. It's why they started losing people on Downton Abbey, they said they just wanted to do something else.

Contrast this with American Actors, who will keep the same acting job for decades if they land it. I'm looking at you, Kelsey Grammar and Mark Harmon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Peter Capaldi did want to keep the job, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

And Tom Baker is behind you, emptying your drinks cabinet into his mouth.

Colin Baker visited and he was great company, but you're not sure why all your DVDs have been mysteriously replaced by copies of "Vengeance On Varos: Special Edition" (some say it's a classic, though).

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I was watching some early Capaldi Doctor episodes and it's noticeable how different his current version is. I think he's really hit his stride now and I hope he carries this Doctor to Big Finish.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

Peter Capaldi did want to keep the job, though.

Oh we know that for sure? I didn't know that. That sucks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Colin Baker visited and he was great company, but you're not sure why all your DVDs have been mysteriously replaced by copies of "Vengeance On Varos: Special Edition" (some say it's a classic, though).

Sylvester visited you in the past and now your living room is set up EXACTLY as it needs to be for when his past self arrives.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Oh we know that for sure? I didn't know that. That sucks.

According to rumor he still had one more year on his contract.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

It seems inherently British to not want to keep the same acting job for very long. It's why they started losing people on Downton Abbey, they said they just wanted to do something else.

Contrast this with American Actors, who will keep the same acting job for decades if they land it. I'm looking at you, Kelsey Grammar and Mark Harmon.

to be fair, Frasier required way less running

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Fil5000 posted:

Sylvester visited you in the past and now your living room is set up EXACTLY as it needs to be for when his past self arrives.

McGann would have come, but he had work commitments.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

And forgot where you lived.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

And forgot where you lived.

I think the latter is the most likely. The McGann era is the closest to All My Circuits.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Plavski posted:

I really hope Big Finish get the license to do Twelfth Doctor stories. I will happily listen to Capaldi's voice until the end of time itself.

Audio recording and voice acting have to be a pretty sweet deal for actors in general. I don't know if they literally get to shoot in their pyjamas, but they don't have to go on location, or spend hours in makeup and wardrobe, wait for lighting and sets, etc. I mean, I am sure the pay and exposure are a lot lower, but it seems like it would be a bit more creative and low-pressure.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

According to rumor he still had one more year on his contract.

Eh, where do those rumours even come from though?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

glowing-fish posted:

Audio recording and voice acting have to be a pretty sweet deal for actors in general. I don't know if they literally get to shoot in their pyjamas, but they don't have to go on location, or spend hours in makeup and wardrobe, wait for lighting and sets, etc. I mean, I am sure the pay and exposure are a lot lower, but it seems like it would be a bit more creative and low-pressure.

Veteran voice actors often do. There's a great documentary called, "I Know That Voice" about voice acting, and someone in it (I forget who, now) said he had a studio installed in his house so he could just get out of bed, knock out some lines, then eat breakfast, or something like that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thrawn527 posted:

Veteran voice actors often do. There's a great documentary called, "I Know That Voice" about voice acting, and someone in it (I forget who, now) said he had a studio installed in his house so he could just get out of bed, knock out some lines, then eat breakfast, or something like that.

My old neighbour would do this. He was a radio voiceover guy who moved to Canada from Georgia or some other Southern state. He didn't lose a single day of work - he just kept hammering out heavily-accented ads about ATV sales or two-for-one fried onion blossoms or whatever in his basement and emailed em off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At this point in his career, someone like Billy West can probably just cobble together all of the lines from something he's already recorded, having uttered every possible sentence with every possible inflection.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Seeing Billy Bragg talk about Jeremy Corbyn playing long games re: Brexit makes me miss the Mighty Jagrofess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxenroddenfoe.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

TinTower posted:

Seeing Billy Bragg talk about Jeremy Corbyn playing long games re: Brexit makes me miss the Mighty Jagrofess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxenroddenfoe.

Was he a lib dem?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Fun fact: the Jagrafess was actually modelled on the late Rev. Ian Paisley.

Serious: it's kinda weird seeing Simon Pegg in that episode, because he was well-known here at the time but he hadn't become an international star yet. It's sort of like Tom Hardy in Star Trek Nemesis.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

thrawn527 posted:

Harry Shearer being allowed to literally phone his lines in was one of the reasons he kept doing The Simpsons.

I think Patrick Warburton had to do something like that too for a season of Venture Bros. when he was super busy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fil5000 posted:

And Tom Baker is behind you, emptying your drinks cabinet into his mouth.

Well yes but we were talking about people doing things we HADN'T invited them to do.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Attention fellow Americans: today's episode starts 30 minutes earlier because it's extra-long.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Going back a bit (I've missed a few weeks and am catching up), but the Rank Has Its Privileges bit in Empress was a reference to Day of the Daleks and not playing with racial cues.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

So you're looking at a time dilation of about 1,000,000, and thus a black hole on the scale of a hundred solar masses.

:eng101:

Fairly sure there's two unknowns (mass of the black hole and the distance from its centre, assuming we're talking a schwarzschild black hole (ie a nice simple "straightforward" spherical stationary black hole)). Simply knowing that the time dilation is a million times that at one end of the ship than the other, 4 miles away, isn't sufficient.

2house2fly posted:

Oh the monks [Moffat] didn't write? Fair enough, I don't trust him after Planet Of The Dead

Moffat wrote Extremis and is co-credited on Pyramid :reject:

Bicyclops posted:

I'm rewatching the first series and while both of the farting aliens episodes are bad (someone said one of them was good?), they're easier to watch, because you can say "Well, they're annoying, but this is probably a better government than a theoretical Theresa May/DUP alliance.

They are good

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the idea is that because time moves more slowly on the other side of the portal, everyone there will be fighting for their entire lives. Say that through some weird miracle they live a full lifespan, that's a good 60-years their time fighting (we'll assume that they can find food and other required things, just suspend disbelief and say that the warriors can war for a while) For the Doctor in the portal it was a few seconds - everyone else 2 days had passed. If we simplify the maths and assume that 1 day our time =10 seconds their time, 6 days pass in a minute, and a year passes in 3600 seconds, or less than three days. Expand those three days to a year their time, it becomes 120 years on earth for every year they live in the other realm keeping the monsters at bay. Given 60 years of life they'll last at least a good 7.2 thousand years fighting them off, long enough for something else to be thought up. Better that than the few hundred years t could take for the portal to tear wide open after becoming unstable.

Baaaaaaad maths here from the Celtic episode. 3600 seconds is less than three days, yes. It's precisely an hour.

The actual figure is about half a million years for 60 years of fighting.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 1, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Fairly sure there's two unknowns (mass of the black hole and the distance from its centre, assuming we're talking a schwarzschild black hole (ie a non-rotating frame)). Simply knowing that the time dilation is a million times that at one end of the ship than the other, 4 miles away, isn't sufficient.

Well, my guess is that the ship is Very Very Very Close to the black hole, which sets a lower bound.

Also, the ship is 400 miles long. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Well, my guess is that the ship is Very Very Very Close to the black hole, which sets a lower bound.

Also, the ship is 400 miles long. :v:

You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

I don't think there's a solution that actually lines up with what we see, though; the ship would be about the same scale as the event horizon of a 100 solar mass black hole, so either the black hole is very far away or is very small (Dougal) in the FX shots at the start.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Baaaaaaad maths here from the Celtic episode. 3600 seconds is less than three days, yes. It's precisely an hour.

The actual figure is about half a million years for 60 years of fighting.

My god my brain broke there, sorry, didn't even catch that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Moffat wrote Extremis and is co-credited on Pyramid :reject:

The monks are basically not relevant to the plot of Extremis, and Pyramid at least has the interesting idea of them requiring consent to invade. The monks are bad because of Toby Whithouse's dismal failure at resolving them or indeed doing much of anything with them in Lie Of The Land.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They said the ship was 400 miles long and 100 miles wide, but given how it looked from the outside either there was a lot of spaghettification going on or the artists didn't really stick to the script.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Basically, just a show and relax.

2house2fly posted:

The monks are basically not relevant to the plot of Extremis, and Pyramid at least has the interesting idea of them requiring consent to invade. The monks are bad because of Toby Whithouse's dismal failure at resolving them or indeed doing much of anything with them in Lie Of The Land.

All three episodes are bad

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I imagine that any ship that was close enough to have that amount of time dilation across decks would be torn apart by tidal forces in under a second, but:

1. The ship has a Structural Inertia Field that holds it together against acceleration
2. The blackhole is made of quark matter and is emitting non-polarized gravitinos
3. Doctor Who isn't a hard science fiction show

I think that they did a good job at taking a basic scientific concept and turning it into a story idea, even if the math and engineering didn't quite work out.

The black hole scenario in the movie Interstellar had a Kip Thorne, a physicist from CalTech go over it and decide it actually could work, but even then they had to use a lot of spherical cows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)#Wormholes_and_black_holes

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's been a while since we talked about the music for World Enough, but a few points were reminiscent of the creepier parts of John Barry's score for The Black Hole, appropriately enough.

If you don't know it (in this thread of all places, shame on you :mad:), it was the middle point between Disney's big adventure movies of the 50s-60s and the post Star Wars sci-fi boom, and features a scientist who has parked his ship at the edge of a black hole who has surgically converted his crew into cyborgs without free will or individuality to keep them from mutinying. Hey, that sounds familiar - the only thing missing is the pudgy, smart rear end-robot...

Oh. Well played, Moffat & Co. Well played.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I just remembered this because it was really funny but does anyone have the post (or series of posts) where the guy was watching Fires of Pompeii and got really mad because he had audio description on but didn't know about it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

glowing-fish posted:

The black hole scenario in the movie Interstellar had a Kip Thorne, a physicist from CalTech go over it and decide it actually could work, but even then they had to use a lot of spherical cows.

I had to look up this phrase. Now I understand, but it also had this :3: gif directly on the wiki page:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

I imagine that any ship that was close enough to have that amount of time dilation across decks would be torn apart by tidal forces in under a second, but:

1. The ship has a Structural Inertia Field that holds it together against acceleration
2. The blackhole is made of quark matter and is emitting non-polarized gravitinos
3. Doctor Who isn't a hard science fiction show

I think that they did a good job at taking a basic scientific concept and turning it into a story idea, even if the math and engineering didn't quite work out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)#Wormholes_and_black_holes

The real cool thing about Interstellar was that the CGI was so realistic, using real physics equations, that physicists could use it to spot new feature in black holes that were always there in the maths but were hard to notice until the maths were applied in visual form.

Interstellar's special effects caused physicists to write new research papers about black hole physics.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think it was totally accurate. They changed the way the black hole looked to have it make more sense to viewers.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chucat posted:

I just remembered this because it was really funny but does anyone have the post (or series of posts) where the guy was watching Fires of Pompeii and got really mad because he had audio description on but didn't know about it?

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Hmm. Disliking this one is the minority view then then eh? Well, I wonder if the DVD version will come with a feature that turns off the annoying narration. I appreciated the gimmick at first but I did think it got a bit distracting after a while. I'd like to compare the episode without it to see if it runs better.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I'm surprised no one else is mentioning it (I'm actually starting to feel a bit :tinfoil:)

Just to clarify, didn't you guys listen to the entire episode with all the actions and movements narrated by some guy as if it came out of an Ecce Romani school latin cassette tape?

"The Woman with the red cloak follows Donna down the street"

"The room shakes and the family reach out grab falling jars and vessels. Caecilius reaches out and catches a falling bust. He then kisses it on the forehead"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That could be a good gimmick though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Steven Moffat already did that in the excellent episode "Extremis"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That could be a good gimmick though.

That would have been fun to gently caress with.

:geno: We have always heard the voice of the Chronicler of Rassilon...

• Locked thread