Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Maybe it was a bike that was no longer worth repairing and they wanted to give it a proper send off :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
2008ish YZ450f, still worth 3 - 4k here in decent running shape. Idgi, everything but the engine is probably junk now.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

To this day, that front tire is still rolling along in the desert...somewhere.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I would have taken it and given it a home for free.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Pikes Peak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mbmuITe0_A

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

lol @ the police car at the top enforcing pit speed limits

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I watched the Corvette video where the guy from Jalopnik bought a salvage 'Vette and modified it to do Pikes Peak right before this one, and drat the motorcycle videos are so much more intense.

Both of those dudes are obviously putting enough blind trust in their machines to make Guy Martin shake his head, but I guess that's what you do as a racer. It's like the guys that can make themselves stand at home plate and not think (too much) about the ball hitting them in the neck or wrist or wherever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Guy ran it a couple of years back on his custom framed turbo GSXR1100. I the roadracer guys share the same view... they all know what's up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol saw this posted on a fb group, dude had no idea what it was. I'm guessing rat infestation is pretty common

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

I watched the Corvette video where the guy from Jalopnik bought a salvage 'Vette and modified it to do Pikes Peak right before this one, and drat the motorcycle videos are so much more intense.

Videos of people driving fast cars kind of bore me now. They cut to a camera shot of the inside and it's like...the guy's just sitting in a chair? He's not wearing a helmet and armor? He just kinda turns the wheel back and forth, obviously not putting out very much effort? Bo-ring.

Professional race car driving is still cool to watch but average youtube supercar vlogger just yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawnnnnnn.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Maybe the most cinematic, dramatic bike review I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYf7iG1ih4

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

Videos of people driving fast cars kind of bore me now. They cut to a camera shot of the inside and it's like...the guy's just sitting in a chair? He's not wearing a helmet and armor? He just kinda turns the wheel back and forth, obviously not putting out very much effort? Bo-ring.

Professional race car driving is still cool to watch but average youtube supercar vlogger just yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawnnnnnn.

dude bike vloggers are yaaaaaaawn universally except the runs riding around waiting to be offended for hits.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

dumb. posted:

Maybe the most cinematic, dramatic bike review I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYf7iG1ih4

Fort9 tries a little too hard to do the TopGear thing with his bike reviews for my tastes. His gear reviews are straightforward and to the point, which I appreciate. The bike reviews are too high concept - I don't really want 20 minutes of cinematic drone shots, overly graded colors, and piano music in a YouTube motorcycle review. It's not a million dollar exotic car, it's a Versys. Quit making love to it with the camera and ride the loving thing.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 30, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

There were a good many times where my butthole puckered up in this video.
This was the one moment I actually jumped back from my screen.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Around 9:20 when the rear end end is sliding toward the outside of a curve with no guardrail and he's got his inside foot out supermoto style had me puckering a bit

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ironic considering the newly imposed "no clipons" rule on Pikes Peak

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that that dude's first run on that bike or something? A lot of his lines didn't really make sense to me and he made a few mistakes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Is that that dude's first run on that bike or something? A lot of his lines didn't really make sense to me and he made a few mistakes.

Considering he set a new record doing it, your opinion on his lines and "mistakes" doesn't mean poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol at slavvy critiquing the skill of a professional racer actively setting records on a road he'll never see

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

your opinion doesn't mean poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok just cause almost running off the road a couple of times seemed not the right way to do but hosed if I know.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Ok just cause almost running off the road a couple of times seemed not the right way to do but hosed if I know.

Gotta get loose to go fast.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slavvy posted:

When you racing, you use the whole drat road.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNwQK_HIHRU

Wear gear

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Better manhandle those high bars, that'll straighten er out.

edit: that face slide though, :kiss:

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 1, 2017

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Guy lost a lot a skin, I bet

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If only he had an Icon Stryker vest.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Suter MMX 500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnlZoaZUyw
576cc V4 2T

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

"... after watching him almost lose control 5 or 6 times." :wth:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh god that sliding 😳

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A man's bike

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

That really hurt to watch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He slid for soooooo long on his side

Also I seriously thought he was gonna recover from that 180 at first

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That must be the Harley Wobble I've heard about.

What's the proper fix for that, in the moment? Is it to carefully slow down, to try and reduce the magnitude of the oscillation, or is it to try and accelerate, unweighting the front wheel? I've heard both of those suggestions advanced and I'm sure there's a difference but I don't know what it is.

e: in the video it said the wobble only started when he would hit higher speeds, and my thought was that you should always just gently slow down, but someone here told me once that accelerating is better, but clearly that wouldn't have helped here

e2: ahahhhhhh jesus fuckin christ. the first, most-upvoted comment on YouTube simultaneously blames the crash on the road surface and complains about illegal immigration. And another comment says "thank God he was wearing a helmet!" when the description points out that his face was completely hosed up because he was wearing a 3/4. Nuke the earth

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 1, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Loosen your grip on the bars and gently roll off the throttle I think, at least what I have been preparing myself to do.

My question is what the hell was that dude thinking when it went into an oscillation the first 5 times that made him go for the 6th. The second time would be enough for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya as someone already mentioned he was definitely stiff arming the poo poo out of the bars

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

:lol: That's amazing. Excellent execution of the layerdan technique, and he really stuck the landing. Extra points for style with that bootlegger360noScOpE.

Sagebrush posted:

What's the proper fix for that, in the moment? Is it to carefully slow down, to try and reduce the magnitude of the oscillation, or is it to try and accelerate, unweighting the front wheel? I've heard both of those suggestions advanced and I'm sure there's a difference but I don't know what it is.

From experience, the proper procedure is to look down at your wildly out of control bars that you cant even hold on to any more and think "...huh?... wha?...but-" before the floor comes out from under you and you go on the long tumble. :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

That must be the Harley Wobble I've heard about.

The genius minds at /r/motorcycles are already flinging poo poo at each other but the main argument seems to be whether this was a "speed wobble" aka tankslapper or "speed weave" aka the Harley Wobble. Former starts with the front, latter at the rear.

Someone posted this video demonstrating the Harley wobble during performance testing by the CHP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmw6QppXnEY which seems to match what initially happens in the layer dan video except it's kept under control. Looks like slowing down cures the weave.

Best way to handle this issue: don't ride a bike with poo poo geometry, and if you do, don't overload the rear

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is actually a Harley wobble that's not a garden variety tankslapper?

Why Harley's and not other Harley-esque cruisers? What's different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is actually a Harley wobble that's not a garden variety tankslapper?

Why Harley's and not other Harley-esque cruisers? What's different?

Other brands make a token effort at frame rigidity and have geometry that isn't dictated by authentic age-old tradition.

Sportsters don't get the problem. They're also not poo poo to ride, and they're also much more like a 'normal' bike in their layout and design.