Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Opinions posted:

No but I'm genuinely curious if Brits pronounce another thing different, or if this is a case of good old Webster being right again with regard to how things should be spelled.
There's really no need for the letter c to exist at all, it's either a k sound, like kake or kollege or Amerika, an s sound like sephalopod or sellophane, or a ch sound like chair in which case let's have a letter for ch like Cyrillic does, or make one of the lesser used ones pull their weight like xair.

In the case of sceptic it is pronounced as a k, but yeah he should pronounce it septic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well yeah c is pointless, but the established rule is that a c that comes before an e is pronounced like an s. Such as in scenic where it is completely unnecessary given the preceding s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

So can we all agree after watching Hbomb's video that AS is a trans erasing piece of poo poo and not 'one of the good ones'?

He seems like a bit of an idiot.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Is Armoured Skeptic Canadian? That would explain the spelling.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

Is Armoured Skeptic Canadian? That would explain the spelling.

He sounds extremely Canadian, yes. The only strange thing is why he doesn't apologize for everything he does. By rights he should have a second channels that is just him apologizing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

business hammocks posted:

He sounds extremely Canadian, yes. The only strange thing is why he doesn't apologize for everything he does. By rights he should have a second channels that is just him apologizing.

Have you ever been to Toronto?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well yeah c is pointless, but the established rule is that a c that comes before an e is pronounced like an s. Such as in scenic where it is completely unnecessary given the preceding s.
It can be either. It's a hard c in scalding, scaffolding, schematic, and scat. It only looks like it ought to be a soft sc in sceptic if you're used to seeing it as skeptic.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Guavanaut posted:

It can be either. It's a hard c in scalding, scaffolding, schematic, and scat. It only looks like it ought to be a soft sc in sceptic if you're used to seeing it as skeptic.

As you were typing this did you notice how none of your examples have an e following a c? That's why the h is in schematic.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Armo(u)redS(c/k)eptic shouldn't call himself a skeptic at all unless he lives in a jar and shouts at people on the street all day, and he only has half of that down. Stay true to your roots, people. :colbert:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Guavanaut posted:

But those are all a words and one ch word.

Anyway, AS is another aggressively lazy and ignorant one. I believe he recently admitted on Twitter that if he isn't interested in something, he simply can't bring himself to study it or even pay attention for an extended period of time.

I first noticed this trend with when he blithely claimed hadn't said a bunch of poo poo that even his supporters admitted that he said. Or maybe it was when he made a video attacking laci green for claiming zootopia had a feminist message: "there is no institutionalized racism in the USA." Even many people in the comments section pointed this out. But that was when he hadn't completely driven away all of the people with even a sliver of common sense.

He's also got an issue with black people. Seems to think that the problem is all the racist treatment they receive that he admits exists, but because they are basically lazy and need to be taught to work.

gently caress AS.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As you were typing this did you notice how none of your examples have an e following a c? That's why the h is in schematic.
Scheptic looks even worse. Like it would be shep-tic.

e: ^ Does he elaborate why he believes black people are all lazy? I've noticed a thing ever since the dork enlightenment where they've ditched the standard racist facade of "I don't hate black people, I hate black culture" to straight up eugenic race 'realism'.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 1, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How about, septic.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

nickmeister posted:

But those are all a words and one ch word.

Anyway, AS is another aggressively lazy and ignorant one. I believe he recently admitted on Twitter that if he isn't interested in something, he simply can't bring himself to study it or even pay attention for an extended period of time.

I first noticed this trend with when he blithely claimed hadn't said a bunch of poo poo that even his supporters admitted that he said. Or maybe it was when he made a video attacking laci green for claiming zootopia had a feminist message: "there is no institutionalized racism in the USA." Even many people in the comments section pointed this out. But that was when he hadn't completely driven away all of the people with even a sliver of common sense.

He's also got an issue with black people. Seems to think that the problem is all the racist treatment they receive that he admits exists, but because they are basically lazy and need to be taught to work.

gently caress AS.

I've seen a lot of people lean heavily on "I'm a skeptic!!!!" because they think it's easier to just be skeptical than it is to actually know about things. They don't seem to understand what being a skeptic actually means and why it's actually harder than not being one.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Armored Septic is when you wear a septic tank like armor, as I am now. Pics forthcoming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Armored Septic would just be a US marine.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Don't know if this has been posted, but looking for a bit more of context on Anita and Gamergate I came about this excellent series about the 'angries'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8XgGhXkTQ&t

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

Armo(u)redS(c/k)eptic shouldn't call himself a skeptic at all unless he lives in a jar and shouts at people on the street all day, and he only has half of that down. Stay true to your roots, people. :colbert:

You know he masturbates all day, though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Wait, do you not?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Goon Danton posted:

Was Diogenes the original shitposter

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

Wait, do you not?

Thereupon many statesmen and philosophers came to Anita Sarkeesian with their congratulations, and she expected that Armored Skeptic of Toronto also, who was tarrying at Vidcon, would do likewise. But since that rational took not the slightest notice of Anita, and continued to enjoy his leisure in the suburb Anaheim, Anita went in person to see him; and she found him lying in the sun. Armored Skeptic raised himself up a little when he saw so many people coming towards him, and fixed his eyes upon Anita. And when that feminist addressed him with greetings, and asked if he wanted anything, "Yes," said Armored Skeptic, "end your silence on the epidemic of black-on-white crime." It is said that Anita was so struck by this, and admired so much the haughtiness and grandeur of the man who had nothing but scorn for her, that she said to her twitter followers, who were laughing and jesting about the youtube philosopher as they went away, "But truly, if I were not Anita, I would be Armored Skeptic."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

Armored Septic is when you wear a septic tank like armor, as I am now. Pics forthcoming.

Saints Row 5 is looking better and better.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Fados posted:

Don't know if this has been posted, but looking for a bit more of context on Anita and Gamergate I came about this excellent series about the 'angries'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8XgGhXkTQ&t

I like this. You can tell what videos people put on and downvote without watching. Pt 4 has the word gamergate in the title and it has almost 10 times as many downvotes as any other video.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USg3NR76XpQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5765

im too stupid to start a patreon

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

do you have an actual criticism or are you just going to declare "look at this bad video guys" and hope everybody else nods in agreement, rubbing their chins

You tend to see patterns and this is actually what those gamergate/anti-SJW people tend to do. It is comparable to conspiracy theorists videos with"X admitted to doing X". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpMzkIR1ymw. Of course what they are really doing is taking something small (that can be interpreted as a slip of the tongue, bad communication, different lens etc.) and reinterpreting it to fit their agenda.

Edit: Just made it more bearable to read.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 1, 2017

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA

Today is a good day for the non-terrible YT intellectual community.

What makes me :confused: is that AS says gender expression is "made up". How is it possible to think that gender expression, also known as "people doing poo poo that shows other people what their gender is", is made up? I don't think anyone in the history of mankind has argued this is a made-up concept: even the most reactionary evolutionary psych proponents talk about men and women doing things (even unconsciously) to play up their masculinity/femininity and attract a mate. The only plausible explanation is that he doesn't understand what it is... but the term "gender expression" is so self-evident and simple to grasp that he can only have possibly misunderstood it by somehow putting a negative amount of thought into it. I can only imagine that his visceral and emotional response to hearing something that sounds like one of them newfangled SJW terms was so strong that it overpowered his reading comprehension skills for a brief moment.

I can understand how someone has never thought about it might ask "what is the difference between gender and gender expression? Why do we need two different terms, this seems like hair-splitting?"* That would be a reasonable question, and I would be sympathetic to his lack of understanding if it wasn't stated so passive-aggressively. But how can you possibly say that the statement "human beings do things to show other humans what their gender is, such as wear clothes, use language and conduct themselves a certain way" is made-up nonsense?

*H-bomb had a great example when he pointed out that butch and femme lesbians express their femininity differently. Another example is people conveying a gender they do not identify as, such as a closeted trans person or an actor playing a cross-gender role.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Midig posted:

You tend to see patterns and this is actually what those gamergate/anti-SJW people do. In this video they did what conspiracy theorists do when they

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

armoured skeptic has the kind of voice/manner of speaking that even if i agreed with him it'd still make me wanna punch his face through the back of his skull.

i'm also getting sick of people not understanding what skepticism is. like global warming "skeptics". skepticism isn't questioning everything including settled science - that's pseudoskepticism. when you're "skeptical" of proven facts you're a denier.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am also LOLing out loud and causing quite the ruckus in my house.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think this lovely version of skepticism is really just a refuge for the people who used to use aggressive neutrality as their claim to superiority over others who have taken stances. The problem was that doing so could be construed as being out of cowardice or ignorance. Just rebranding the same behavior as skepticism gives them the same veneer but makes them seem even more discerning.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA

Today is a good day for the non-terrible YT intellectual community.

yeah him and ellis are the best at this stuff. they explain stuff really well. on the video, skeptic is a idiot who like alot of the "rationalists" jerks off to the idea of "balance" and non political etc.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 1, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The concept of balance barely makes sense in a political concept anyway, it's entirely possible and indeed probable for political viewpoints to be wrong by any worthwhile definition.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The concept of balance barely makes sense in a political concept anyway, it's entirely possible and indeed probable for political viewpoints to be wrong by any worthwhile definition.

well they have a west wing(show) mentality about it sorta. west wing wasnt about how liberal/left wing politics were right or not, it was about jerking off to balance and smart fact reciting and being about to use a turn of phrase with facts to verbaly defeat someone no matter what side it was. i get that alot from them.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Harris Bomberman is actually going pretty easy on Armored Sceptic

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Guavanaut posted:

Scheptic looks even worse. Like it would be shep-tic.

e: ^ Does he elaborate why he believes black people are all lazy? I've noticed a thing ever since the dork enlightenment where they've ditched the standard racist facade of "I don't hate black people, I hate black culture" to straight up eugenic race 'realism'.

I've heard him express this more than once on podcasts, but the latest one I remember is the hangout he did with Garett: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBsuoIZSn8&t=10085s

Before that point, it sounds like he understands things. But then he goes on to say that black kids just sit and expect things to happen rather than working for them. That black people don't support their own communities because he watched a TV show where Snoop Dogg visited his old neighborhood, but didn't throw hand fulls of cash to passerbys. It's ridiculous and enraging. It's like, "I know there's all this evidence that contradicts how I feel, but I just HATE those SJWs you know? And I'm on the smart, rational side. Therefore blacks are lazy!"

Calico Heart posted:

Harris Bomberman is actually going pretty easy on Armored Sceptic

Given their lovely brunch together last week (?) at VidCon, it's not too surprising. I think a lot of people say AS is one of the less lovely anti-progress types because he's not a neo nazi and doesn't take an active part in harassment (as far as I know).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

He seemed really impressed that AS said to tolerate them even if he erroneously thinks they're full of poo poo. And going off that it's not hard to think that he's just a privileged dumb rear end who's too sure of his own opinion but not trying to actively attack people

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The fact that the "rationals" or "skeptics" or whatever the hell they call themselves, like Armoured Skeptic have a huge right-wing following, despite believing in climate change proves that conservatives care more about making GBS threads on women and minorities than they do anything else.It's why I always laugh at someone like David Rubin claiming he's part of "the left" because he believes in raising the minimum wage (by like 50 cents).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nickmeister posted:

I've heard him express this more than once on podcasts, but the latest one I remember is the hangout he did with Garett: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBsuoIZSn8&t=10085s

Before that point, it sounds like he understands things. But then he goes on to say that black kids just sit and expect things to happen rather than working for them. That black people don't support their own communities because he watched a TV show where Snoop Dogg visited his old neighborhood, but didn't throw hand fulls of cash to passerbys. It's ridiculous and enraging. It's like, "I know there's all this evidence that contradicts how I feel, but I just HATE those SJWs you know? And I'm on the smart, rational side. Therefore blacks are lazy!"

Given their lovely brunch together last week (?) at VidCon, it's not too surprising. I think a lot of people say AS is one of the less lovely anti-progress types because he's not a neo nazi and doesn't take an active part in harassment (as far as I know).

He filmed it before he left and finished editing this week, according to him. Part 2 might reference the fajita brunch of truce.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

The fact that the "rationals" or "skeptics" or whatever the hell they call themselves, like Armoured Skeptic have a huge right-wing following, despite believing in climate change proves that conservatives care more about making GBS threads on women and minorities than they do anything else.It's why I always laugh at someone like David Rubin claiming he's part of "the left" because he believes in raising the minimum wage (by like 50 cents).

well yeah thats always been the case.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He seemed really impressed that AS said to tolerate them even if he erroneously thinks they're full of poo poo. And going off that it's not hard to think that he's just a privileged dumb rear end who's too sure of his own opinion but not trying to actively attack people

Also a weird opinion to have, if everything you believe makes you think someone is actively immoral, why on earth would you tolerate that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Skeptic doesn't seem to think there's any immorality to his enemies. They're just dumb or believing wrong things through confirmation bias (enlarging ironicat)
He started as one of those atheists dunking on creationists I'm guessing. So he wouldn't approach things on a basis of morality.

• Locked thread