Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Ooh, they didn't de-canon Spare Parts after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Did they just Bill and Ted that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-finale-week-12

The Big Finish sale for this episode is just....HUGE. A story or box set from every single Doctor. The first two series of Esrly Adventures, the first Third Doctor Box, the first Hinchcliffe box, the Fifth Doctor Box, the Last Adventure, some Bernice stuff, Dark Eyes, the first War Doctor set, and Destiny of the Doctor and Light at the End

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I missed when a the second part of a 2 parter felt like it flowed naturally from the first part.

Edit: I just don't think this show is for me anymore.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 1, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm getting the oddest sound thing going on since his flashbacks started; The SFX is playing, the music is playing but distorted and the vocals are basically not playing at all except a few faint sounds when hes shouting.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Okay, got a little teary eyed at that.

Just to verify, there were multiple Marinus references, right? Both as itself and Planet 14?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Ah poo poo I loved that. I even cried! drat Pearl Mackie is a great actress.

I guess the rumours about Pearl lasting for just one season were right after all. A real shame as she's been the best companion since Donna. Hopefully she'll continue being awesome with Peter for Big Finish.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved the final scene between Missy and the Master. That was a great way to end the arcs of those Masters. Also quite liked "You said you could fix this... were you lying?" "No..." "Were you wrong?" "Yes..."

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Chucat posted:

Only one more Moffatt episode at least - luckily as the resolutions at the end of this one were loving terrible. Shame as the series had been atypically good until that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was a great Londo Mollari impersonation by Simm.

Also that were some good bits of older doctors by Capaldi. And that teaser at the end. Holy crap I did not expect that.

Also the scene where Capaldi talked to the two masters. That was some fantastic acting.

This show truly hit its stride again.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I'd somehow managed to forget that Michelle Gomez was leaving and now I'm sad all over again. Good to see Heather back, though. I'm glad Bill gets a happy-ish ending.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7pl1lI8FU

Well, now we wait for Christmas

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really loved parts of it, thought others were a bit naff, and overall the whole thing felt like a bit of a mess and didn't really follow up on the promise of the excellent preceding episode.

I did really enjoy the Masters loving each other over though. Bill's struggles to come to terms with what had happened to her were good and I didn't feel like the resolution was too much of a cheat even if it was a bit of a repeat of Clara/Ashildr. The Doctor refusing to regenerate and the First Doctor showing up right at the end I really, really liked, and I absolutely loved the modernized version of the old "The Doctor sees all his companions and then the Master right at the end as he's about to regenerate" bit.

The Christmas Special feels like it is going to be integral to how I feel about this season as a whole. At the moment it feels like a really strong start, sagged in the middle, started to pick up, got REALLY good and then kind of limped to its conclusion. And if nothing else, at least we got the first truly great Cyberman story in decades out of World Enough and Time.

I feel like Moffat has been overly criticized over the last couple of years but after this season I do feel a little relieved that he's finally moving on after the upcoming Xmas Show. I still think he's capable of great stuff but it does feel like he was largely tapped out and just trying to get over the finish line. It's time for a fresh start, though it's a shame Pearl Mackie won't be back and I really, really, really wish Peter Capaldi was going to stay.

Edit: Michelle Gomez too!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 1, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand WHY the Doctor doesn't want to regenerate, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I really loved parts of it, thought others were a big naff, and overall the whole thing felt like a bit of a mess and didn't really follow up on the promise of the excellent preceding episode.

Ditto.

There's lots of great scenes, but they're not well integrated together. Sad as gently caress that Capaldi and Gomez are leaving :smith: But nice to see David Bradley as Richard Hurndall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't understand WHY the Doctor doesn't want to regenerate, though.

If we take it at face value, he's tired of changing (he has used up more than the standard set of regenerations after all) and wants to just stay as himself. His earlier line isn't just a callback to the 1st Doctor in The Five Doctors, as the culmination of all the Doctors to this point he feels like he is the definitive article - HE is THE Doctor and he'd had it with new bodies/new faces, he's just tired of it all.

I'm guessing the point of the ending and the Xmas Special is that he's learning that he hasn't changed at all really, the 1st Doctor is gonna be pissed to learn there has been 13 Doctors when HE is the Doctor but eventually will come to grasp that Capaldi is still him which will help him with his own regeneration in The Tenth Planet, which in turn will help Capaldi with his. Which I guess is also supposed to contrast how the two Masters gently caress each other over and kill each other because of course they did.

It all remains to be seen of course. That's the way I figured it. Maybe Capaldi will regenerate back into Matt Smith and ponder if he's just going to start cycling his way back! :haw:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Chucat posted:

I missed when a the second part of a 2 parter felt like it flowed naturally from the first part.

Only one more episode and we can dance on Moffat's exit until the next thing to complain about

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well I really liked it. Felt it hit the mark all the way through.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm really happy that it seems they're giving Peter a lot of old school fan service before he heads out. I get the sense a lot of the big Doctor ideas these last two seasons have been greatly promoted by him due to his love of seeing them originally way back in the day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I danced around my living room like a five-year-old at end, there.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
That ending tag... I'm all in. I'm not ready to lose Peter Capaldi yet.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dabir posted:

Well I really liked it. Felt it hit the mark all the way through.

Me too. The episode played me like a fiddle in all the right ways.

I was initially annoyed that Bill was simply fixed. Disrespecting the cliffhanger is a Doctor Who tradition after all. Then they got me for a second time when Bill asked: "You know how I'm usually all about women and people my own age?". That poo poo was inspired.

The Master killing him/herself was also brilliant. Pretty much the only way it could end, when you think about it.

I also love that the Doctor gave the humans a fighting chance, but he didn't conclusively save them. Capaldi's Doctor really stands out as the one who genuinely fails to save people sometimes. That's about as victorious as he should get.

The next episode has the most exciting premise for a Christmas special in a while. I can't wait.

Can Capaldi just regenerate into David Bradley? That would be cool.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 1, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like imagining most of Bill's dialog in the Cyberman voice because her ribbing seems much funnier in the emotionless husk-voice.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BioEnchanted posted:

I like imagining most of Bill's dialog in the Cyberman voice because her ribbing seems much funnier in the emotionless husk-voice.

The thought of a Cyberman saying: "Oh good-o." just cracks me up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

And More posted:

The thought of a Cyberman saying: "Oh good-o." just cracks me up.

Cyberbill doing a sassy pose while teasing the doctor. :3: Wait, bill is a female cyberman - does that make her a CyberMa'am? Missy got a new name after all, why can't Bill be special.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

And More posted:

Can Capaldi just regenerate into David Bradley? That would be cool.
Well they are looking for someone sexier...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So what exactly is that? Doctor Who is just meeting his original self and we didn't see the new Doctor Who yet?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
John Simm felt so much more like The Master in this than he did during his original appearance in the show. Bonus points for having a goatee too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked that whole final conversation between the Masters, especially that exchange right at the end: "I will never stand with the Doctor!" "No dear... you will..."

The Masters greatest fear is that one day he will reform, whether he wants to or not. Suddenly he will start to care on some level about those he has doomed to die and he just cannot handle that guilt, so he does anything in his power to stop it happening.

Kind of reminds me of the episode of the Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoon where Batman gets into the Jokers head and starts playing on his biggest fear - that if he does win, then without Batman he'll just be him. Not the clown prince of crime, not a bigshot in the underworld. Just a normal, sane nobody.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I agree, that was fantastic from start to finish. I can see why it might not work for everyone but goddamn did it all work for me.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yes, that was a lot better than the "next time trailer" threatened it would be.

I do often exaggerate how good doctor who is, but yeah, this season only had one not so great episode. loving brilliant.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

OldMemes posted:

John Simm felt so much more like The Master in this than he did during his original appearance in the show. Bonus points for having a goatee too.

He was such an unrelenting cock to everyone, it was amazing.

There's something so perfect and in character about the Master finally redeeming, only for nobody to see it because they immediately get stabbed in the back and killed....by the Master.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I really loved parts of it, thought others were a bit naff, and overall the whole thing felt like a bit of a mess and didn't really follow up on the promise of the excellent preceding episode.

I did really enjoy the Masters loving each other over though. Bill's struggles to come to terms with what had happened to her were good and I didn't feel like the resolution was too much of a cheat even if it was a bit of a repeat of Clara/Ashildr. The Doctor refusing to regenerate and the First Doctor showing up right at the end I really, really liked, and I absolutely loved the modernized version of the old "The Doctor sees all his companions and then the Master right at the end as he's about to regenerate" bit.

The Christmas Special feels like it is going to be integral to how I feel about this season as a whole. At the moment it feels like a really strong start, sagged in the middle, started to pick up, got REALLY good and then kind of limped to its conclusion. And if nothing else, at least we got the first truly great Cyberman story in decades out of World Enough and Time.

I feel like Moffat has been overly criticized over the last couple of years but after this season I do feel a little relieved that he's finally moving on after the upcoming Xmas Show. I still think he's capable of great stuff but it does feel like he was largely tapped out and just trying to get over the finish line. It's time for a fresh start, though it's a shame Pearl Mackie won't be back and I really, really, really wish Peter Capaldi was going to stay.

Edit: Michelle Gomez too!

Largely I feel the same.

The Christmas Special is going to be the final stamp on this season. It's been a very odd run.

I still don't know if I liked this episode as a whole or not. And I REALLY WISH we got more of the sing song voice, because it's just so much better than that stupid heavy voice and the "UPGRADE" bullshit

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BSam posted:

Yes, that was a lot better than the "next time trailer" threatened it would be.

Yeah, it was a lot more personal and character focused than the "big splodey action piece" trailer made it out to be. I liked it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The best part of this season has been Burkion saying before most episodes "This has the potential to really upset/anger me, prepare for my rage" and then after each episode saying "yeah, that was good"

or words to that effect.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BSam posted:

The best part of this season has been Burkion saying before most episodes "This has the potential to really upset/anger me, prepare for my rage" and then after each episode saying "yeah, that was good"

or words to that effect.

Yeah, I like it when Burk is happy. As someone who podcasted with him, that's so rare

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

or words to that effect.

I have been very lukewarm to most of this season.

I also have completely forgotten entire episodes before. Like, I'm very confused about this season so far. The best episode was the Mars one.

The worst episode is kind of up in the air. It's either one of the latter two of the three parters, which were about as dumb as they appeared, or the Wood episode because I ACTUALLY FORGOT that one happened. I had to look it up on wikipedia to remember the loving thing.

I'm not sure if being so bland that you forget it entirely is worse than being awful, but hey.

Moments of this episode, like the last, were good. Generally everything with the Master. Other things are just a lot of naff.

Puddle Girl still makes no sense in how she works or what she is, but whatever. She's Bill's magic girl friend, and at least Bill isn't literally the Doctor now with her own TARDIS, even if this is basically a complete re-do on that ending.

I just haven't been very vocal about what I've thought about the less pleasant episodes because I don't like being That Guy. I could if you'd rather, because some of them have been pretty loving badly written.

The Christmas Special is going to color this season as a whole, because otherwise every good thing has an equal but opposite terrible thing and they're both few and far between.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

this is the least poo poo doctor who has been in years but thats mostly down to the performances

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was a cool and good episode and a nice two part finale. That ending though :allears:

Let's just skip Summer and go right to Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kant
May 12, 2003
Wait a minute. If all he did was change a 1 to a 2, assuming he meant number of hearts, then wouldn't the cybermen stop going after the humans?!

• Locked thread