Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I would recommend skipping Fire and Sword. You can find mods that are better than it and its only singleplayer. Warband has a huge mod community. If you ever get tired of the main game. The mods just make the single player more in depth and there are many multiplayer mods too. Napoleonic Wars is only mutliplayer but it is actually really fun and there is a small active online community to it. There is even a guild/clan of goons I think. I use to play with them a lot back in the days not sure if they still at it but there are many organized battles and just random multiplayer maps too.

Fire and Sword no since you can find mods that are better than it and Napoleonic Wars yes if you are into multiplayer with muskets 18 century warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Posting to say I just finished a game that was half-off at $4.99 called Orwell and this was legitimately one of the best gaming experiences I've had in months.

I spend most of my time playing Dwarf Fortress and wishing for Rimworld updates or other games with half the depth and open-endedness of DF, but Orwell was a really enjoyable ride. Completely on rails, but beautifully done.

And cost less than a burrito.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Keshik posted:

Posting to say I just finished a game that was half-off at $4.99 called Orwell and this was legitimately one of the best gaming experiences I've had in months.

I spend most of my time playing Dwarf Fortress and wishing for Rimworld updates or other games with half the depth and open-endedness of DF, but Orwell was a really enjoyable ride. Completely on rails, but beautifully done.

And cost less than a burrito.

I'm considering getting Orwell, is the Orwell/Beholder/This War Of Mine bundle worth getting?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

-Blackadder- posted:

More goon opinions needed...

Beat Hazard - shooting things to the tune of One-Winged Angel is fun
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR - spinning right round baby right round is fun
Plague Inc: Evolved - global extinction is fun
Axiom Verge - old-school metroid is fun

--------

victrix posted:

One Way Heroics Plus: Rogue-like-ish game with a really clever conceit. You constantly move right, fleeing the darkness from the left. Simple to play, comfortable controls, lots of clever mechanics, and a ton of unlockable stuff. I'd skip the very newest release, plus is a straight update of the original release with more content, the newer one is a commercial remakeish thing.

In case you aren't aware, the Spike-Chunsoft version of this (Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics) is under a buck right now.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 1, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Forest just ate a Multiplayer save 15 hours in, we reported it, but if you're looking for a stable game, that ain't it baby.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Just chiming to add that Crypt of the Necrodancer is amazing. I saw people gushing about it and thought "ehh, maybe", but looked into a a bit more and bought it and game is unique and amazing.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Golf With Your Friends was my favorite five dollar game last year, it got kind of slow on updates, like half a year with nothing but a few bug fixes, I just booted 'er up and see three new good looking maps, played one and it's really well designed. It's four bucks now and has more stuff than last year, it's officially THE GOON GAME, enjoy

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

extra stout posted:

Golf With Your Friends was my favorite five dollar game last year, it got kind of slow on updates, like half a year with nothing but a few bug fixes, I just booted 'er up and see three new good looking maps, played one and it's really well designed. It's four bucks now and has more stuff than last year, it's officially THE GOON GAME, enjoy

Golf With Your Friends is THE mini-golf game. Grab it, enjoy it, end friendships.

EDIT: Wow, they've seriously improved the game in many respects. Absolutely get it if you like mini-golf at all.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 1, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I bought Everspace. Hope I won't regret it.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Are there any hidden FPS gems out there like Call if Juarez that look good and are fun but dont try to scare you or have a story or anything besides murder.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

extra stout posted:

Does this finally work with a controller? That turned me away at release.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
Are there any good first-person puzzle games in the same vein as the portals/QUBE/Antechamber/The Talos Principal on sale?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
QBEH - The Atlas Cube - It's the chill variant of that genre

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

black.lion posted:

Are there any hidden FPS gems out there like Call if Juarez that look good and are fun but dont try to scare you or have a story or anything besides murder.

I bought the first Call of Juarez this sale and beat it already, had fun with it, but boy was it rough. Gunslinger and Bound in Blood are way better.

Been on a western kick and picked up Gun as well, but refunded it. Ive played it before on the gamecube a couple times, but it was showing its age too much on PC and nostalgia wasn't enough for me to keep on playing. Might be time for another Red Dead Redemption playthrough.

edit: Gun had a great main theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwcd8grt5Dc

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 1, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

-Blackadder- posted:

Beat Hazard
AudioSurf
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
Savant - Ascent

I love Beat Hazard, but it's mostly just playing a twin stick to cool music, any connection to the track you're playing is kinda vague (intensity and volume seem to matter, I guess). Audiosurf is a classic color-matching game that was pretty great at the time and probably holds up pretty well. Revolver360 was a shooter with a very cool gimmick but I don't know how much I'd replay it. Savant is an interesting arcade experience but it's not terribly deep and it's exceedingly short. Very pretty, though.

None of them are bad choices at their current price point.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Zathril posted:

I'm considering getting Orwell, is the Orwell/Beholder/This War Of Mine bundle worth getting?

I enjoyed the first two, not so much This War of Mine. But I think most people would say This War of Mine is the best of the group; it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Papers, Please is also extremely good and is quite similar.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Any goon opinions on Resident Evil Revelations 2? I played the first episode and I actually rather liked what it was doing, I guess I'm mainly interested to make sure it doesn't go seriously downhill from there.

(Yes, I know Resident Evil 7 looks real good, I'm just trying to keep that itch scratched until I feel like I can drop the $$$ on it.)

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I'm considering a few games, but I don't know if I want to buy them.

necropolis- Nobody ever talks about this game, so I am hesitant to buy it. It looks like it might be good, but I have no way to know.

Ziggurat- looks good, but I have heard almost nothing about it. I've been burned on doom-likes before, same with roguelikes, so I am not sure.

Vagante- its early access, so I immediately don't trust it, and I have not seen or heard anything about it. It says its a metroidvania though, and I like those.

Satellite Reign- another one that looks interesting but I have never heard about.

Caves of Qud- games like this look fun. My problem is that it looks absurdly complicated, and I don't have the kind of time to spend learning to play games.

Rain World- I actually bought this game, but refunded it because I could not get it to run on my computer. I heard it is also on PS4, but now I need to know if it is good enough to justify paying the regular price.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Skeleton King posted:

Ziggurat- looks good, but I have heard almost nothing about it. I've been burned on doom-likes before, same with roguelikes, so I am not sure.

Ziggurat is okay but the weapons are incredibly anemic and it gets to be pretty dull to play. Get Immortal Redneck instead, it's a pretty similar game but just an all-around improvement.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

I've played it just recently and, honestly, it's somewhat dull.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I'm considering a few games, but I don't know if I want to buy them.
Rain World- I actually bought this game, but refunded it because I could not get it to run on my computer. I heard it is also on PS4, but now I need to know if it is good enough to justify paying the regular price.

I love Rain World but I'm going to say not yet. The PS4 gets the patches at a glacial pace (the first patch came out 4 months after the PS4 version), they're adding difficulty modes but I don't think that's going to be enough to win back people because the main problem were the random enemy spawns. The game also always requires an extremely specific mindset: you will always be a prey animal, "life is suffering" Buddhist thinking

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

black.lion posted:

Depending on what you want:

Lovely Planet is an extremely fast, good FPS that focuses on finding fast routes through the levels while being accurate with your shots. It's very cute and there is no story.

Painkiller is a great FPS with a completely poo poo story that you should just skip. It does have a gothic theme, but it never actually pretends to be scary as far as I can remember. The expansions are not as good as the base game unfortunately.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

To those looking out for Audiosurf, its sequel Audiosurf 2 is out. Basically more of the same with refinements to the formula + QOL improvements, including the ability to stream songs off YouTube instead of having to have a copy of the song you want on hand.

Also if anyone has VR, they made Audioshield too, which is basically Audiosurf but you match using your arms instead and there's some funky graphics as things go crazy, including meteors. It's by far my favourite game in my limited VR experience, though I've yet to try Superhot VR.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I had a question about Umineko. I've heard it is a well-regarded visual novel, but I also recall that it was released/translated in chapters over years. Is the one Umineko on steam the whole thing? I see other VNs are released chapter by chapter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Satellite Reign- another one that looks interesting but I have never heard about.

I played this with friends and it was fun. It took awhile for us to get good at sneaking around but it was a fun game and a bunch of different abilities in it can be used/abused to complete missions in different ways. My personal favorite being mind control cops, security guards, and others to walk through doors to open them for me, or send cops in to a corporation's restricted area, starting a gunfight between them and distracting everyone nearby while I steal tech or do whatever else is needed in the area.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

PlushCow posted:

I bought the first Call of Juarez this sale and beat it already, had fun with it, but boy was it rough. Gunslinger and Bound in Blood are way better.

Been on a western kick and picked up Gun as well, but refunded it. Ive played it before on the gamecube a couple times, but it was showing its age too much on PC and nostalgia wasn't enough for me to keep on playing. Might be time for another Red Dead Redemption playthrough.

edit: Gun had a great main theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwcd8grt5Dc

I still can't believe Rockstar never released Red Dead on PC. All their games stay active and sell well on pc. At this point unless its super hard/expensive to port to pc its basically free sales waiting since that game isn't out on any next gen consoles. I was hoping they would do a mini remaster for ps4/xone and release it on pc too. Just before the new game came out. I would immediately replay that game despite beating almost to 100% completion. It also has one of the best dlcs of all time imo with Undead Nightmare and the online of that game isn't as fun as GTA but its still fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wasn't RDR a complete mess held together only by cat guts and pagan chanting?

On the engine level, I mean.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but you do know Risk of Rain is meant to be played over and over again, right? Your review sounds like it's meant to be a single play through game. Like, I don't think you can get most of the characters in your 4 playthroughs.

Get both, what's your Steam?

It's http://steamcommunity.com/id/buildit/

Edit: I just got System Shock 2, and it's really cool. Forgetting to manually save is screwing me over though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Trick Question posted:

Painkiller is a great FPS with a completely poo poo story that you should just skip. It does have a gothic theme, but it never actually pretends to be scary as far as I can remember. The expansions are not as good as the base game unfortunately.

A very important clarification:

Painkiller Black is the full original game and expansion. Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is the HD remake that has a lot of the original levels cut out and sold as DLC. Get Black, it's a more complete and outright better version.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I had a question about Umineko. I've heard it is a well-regarded visual novel, but I also recall that it was released/translated in chapters over years. Is the one Umineko on steam the whole thing? I see other VNs are released chapter by chapter.

The Steam release contains the first half of the game, called the Question arcs (four in total). The script got retranslated/improved by the people behind the original Witch Hunt translation of the original release, so it's the best version out there.

Umineko has a crazy plot, crazy characters and really good music. It gets anime as hell, but it's fun in a way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

black.lion posted:

Bulletstorm.

SelenicMartian posted:

Yep, it's a miracle that flying horse women were the worst most people saw. R* games are, from what I hear, object lessons in how not to code games.

Caves of Qud- games like this look fun. My problem is that it looks absurdly complicated, and I don't have the kind of time to spend learning to play games.

Satellite Reign is ace, if you've played Syndicate or Syndicate Wars it's a spiritual successor to those. Go around a cyberpunk dystopia loving poo poo up and being a cyber-rear end in a top hat.

Caves of Qud is loving fantastic and one of the best Roguelikes around, but I personally did find it fairly tricky to learn. If you want the genre but a very easy time learning the basics, consider Dungeonmans. Caveat: I might be an idiot who is bad at video games, so don't decide solely on my response.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 1, 2017

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Beat Hazard
AudioSurf
Axiom Verge
Year Walk

Beat Hazard - I liked this game a whole lot. it's pretty good about syncing up your own attacks to the music so even slower songs can be challenging in their own way. You'll probably want to turn down the effects whenever you try to beat harder songs since otherwise the entire screen will just be blinding flashes. If you decide to get this I would strongly suggest spending the extra $1.49 on the Beat Hazard Ultra DLC for the added enemy and boss variety (as well as a few other things).

AudioSurf - This game and its sequel are well-made and a lot of people like them, but I've always just bounced off of them. Some of the modes feel too chaotic while others feel like they're either too simple or just boring. It's great if you're looking for a relaxing music game though.

Axiom Verge - It's good, though I also think it's a bit overrated. The weapons are fun, the setting is interesting, and the music is great. Some of the boss fights, especially the last one, can be frustrating though. Also, the fast travel system isn't great so backtracking to get 100% becomes really tedious. Axiom Verge is still a very good game, but as far as Metroidvanias go I would definitely recommend Environmental Station Alpha over it if you don't have that yet, especially since you could get that and the also rather good Magicians & Looters for a lower combined price than that of Axiom Verge.

Year Walk - It's short and good at what it does. If you want an atmospheric horror game with a few jump scares and some decent puzzles I'd definitely recommend it.

On another note, your list had a fair number of rhythm games, so if you don't have it yet I'd strongly recommend Soundodger+. It's a fantastic game and it's currently 80% off ($1.59). The procedural generation isn't great, but it comes packed with a ton of handcrafted levels. It also has a built-in editor which is easy to use and has a good bit of depth to it so you can make your own levels or you can choose from the hundreds (thousands?) of player-created levels. The only downside is that there is no directly Steam Workshop support because the developer is afraid of running into legal trouble so you'll need to scout through the forums and other places for player-created level downloads.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hostess with the Moltres posted:

It's http://steamcommunity.com/id/buildit/

Edit: I just got System Shock 2, and it's really cool. Forgetting to manually save is screwing me over though.

Bah! I was trying to gift you my keys for both.

Well, since you have it, make sure you've grabbed the custom loader and the mods. I don't know if there's an active Sytem Shock thread here, but this guide is the one I used to get it setup. Most of the mods are just audio and visual improvements. I don't think there's been an overall of the engine, as was done with Dues Ex.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Axiom Verge isn't the best metroidvania ever, but the entire game was made by one guy and in that sense it's very impressive because it looks very good and has a good soundtrack.

The thing about the game is that common enemies are very dangerous and challenging, which is actually more annoying than anything else since there's no fast travel for much of the game and there's a lot of backtracking. Still good, but not great. For metroidvanias I would pick a different game first.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Blattdorf posted:

The Steam release contains the first half of the game, called the Question arcs (four in total). The script got retranslated/improved by the people behind the original Witch Hunt translation of the original release, so it's the best version out there.

Umineko has a crazy plot, crazy characters and really good music. It gets anime as hell, but it's fun in a way.

Sounds good to me, then! I tried to play the original some years ago and could not get past the MS Paint artstyle.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anyway, I ended up getting The Silver Case, SOMA and Tyranny.

I've been playing The Silver Case for the past 2 hours and here's my reaction so far:

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I saw some discussion about ARPGs earlier in this thread, so: a long time ago I played Torchlight and had a lot of fun just setting the difficulty to maximum and slowly killing my way to the bottom of the dungeon while finding nice loot. Are there any other ARPGs with this style? The only other ones I tried since were Diablo 3 and Path of the Exile but they both made you slog through really easy difficulties for too long to hold my interest.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Also there was lots of articles about Rockstar san diego being a horrible workplace right when RDR came out.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I saw some discussion about ARPGs earlier in this thread, so: a long time ago I played Torchlight and had a lot of fun just setting the difficulty to maximum and slowly killing my way to the bottom of the dungeon while finding nice loot. Are there any other ARPGs with this style? The only other ones I tried since were Diablo 3 and Path of the Exile but they both made you slog through really easy difficulties for too long to hold my interest.

If you're OK with going older instead of newer, the FATE games were the precursors to Torchlight and play very similarly. Victor Vran is a little different - more actiony, seperate areas instead of one big dungeon - but it might be fast paced enough to hold your interest.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

There's Victor Vran and Grim Dawn. They all follow a similar progression path though where the beginning is pretty easy. Maybe Victor Vran could hold your interest more thanks to having action-oriented controls though like in Gauntlet or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

• Locked thread