Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Baby Driver is a secret musical, and it's pretty good, but it kinda goes off the rails at the end.

Poor Jon Hamm tho, destined forever to play Don Draper lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Happy July 1st guys!

https://twitter.com/antwanstaley/status/881134115105460225

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

quote:

The Mets have never really talked about the deal, but it is well known that their owners, the Wilpons, had many accounts with investor Bernie Madoff. Madoff was returning 12 to 15 percent a year in what we now know were fictional returns. So deferring deals wasn't a problem because the payout would occur years later and the interest rate would be lower than the money they were (fictionally) getting back from Madoff. To see the deal as the Mets would have seen it, let's say the Wilpons put $5.9 million into a Madoff account in 2000 and got a conservative (by Madoff standards) 10 percent annual return. By 2011, when they would have to pay Bonilla for the first time, they would have already grown their pot to $16.83 million. Even with paying off Bonilla every year, they would wind up with a $49 million profit on the deal. Of course, the Madoff returns weren't real, which complicates this hindsight.

:laugh:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

So dumb lol

Is this the worst contract in sports history?

And holy poo poo, the extension that Steph just got :stare:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I remember jeffersonlives explaining how it was actually a smart deal but then again he was low key the biggest homer on the board.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

weird Asian candy posted:

So dumb lol

Is this the worst contract in sports history?

And holy poo poo, the extension that Steph just got :stare:

Jamarcus' was worse imo, and I'm sure there are worse baseball ones in pure numbers terms, this one is just a slow burn with a dose of fraud.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

FizFashizzle posted:

i think it will be a very boring fight that mayweather will be in complete control of the entire time.

I've never seen anyone actually catch Mayweather with a square punch. With how slow McGregor is, it's gonna be one-sided

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I've never seen anyone actually catch Mayweather with a square punch. With how slow McGregor is, it's gonna be one-sided

Moseley caught him really well with a right hand early in their fight that forced Floyd to clinch. Demarcus Corley hurt him with a right hook, though that was a long time ago. And Judah gave him his only knockdown of his career, though the ref missed the glove touch and didn't score it.

But no, Conor isn't going to land anything and it's going to look like a more one sided Mayweather Gatti.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ofeqQ_ljCk

He's been able to take a few good shots

Jota fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

I remember jeffersonlives explaining how it was actually a smart deal but then again he was low key the biggest homer on the board.

Let me explain to you why the Jets signing Tebow is a good thing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Let me explain to you why the Jets signing Tebow is a good thing.

Mark Sanchez's early career compares favorably to John elway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Poor Jon Hamm tho, destined forever to play Don Draper lol.

Au contraire! I present: the range of Jon Hamm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-J-TyqAk4I

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle posted:

Mark Sanchez's early career compares favorably to John elway.

Marshawn Lynch was not worth his contract

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Smoking tri tips and making cauliflower mashed potatoes (summer bod compromise)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I'll have a buzz until Wednesday morning I'm sure of it

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I've seen the argument that if Bonilla had taken the lump sum and invested half of it in an index fund, he'd have made just as much money, and the Mets, aside from the Madoff meltdown, would've made more by delaying the payment like this.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Because it's true. Simple as googling it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/mets-bobby-bonilla-deal-smart-2015-7

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's completely ignoring both inflation and opportunity cost, but yeah it's still actually a good deal for the Mets.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

That's completely ignoring both inflation and opportunity cost, but yeah it's still actually a good deal for the Mets.

Go salute a pigeon this is America's weekend!!!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Wait, help me here, why does inflation affect one and not the other? And if so, why wouldn't it favor an upfront payment this solidifying it's a good decision?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait, help me here, why does inflation affect one and not the other? And if so, why wouldn't it favor an upfront payment this solidifying it's a good decision?

The article describes how much money he'd have made with 8% annual returns (they say "interest" but that's nonsense, you can't earn 8% risk-free, it's investment returns which are subject to risk) on the lump sum up front. This ignores that inflation eats up around 2% annually of that: it's showing a chart with his eventual earnings described in, I guess, 2001 dollars. In other words, it looks like more money than it actually is. Any honest chart of some amount of money plotted over time should indicate what years' dollars it's in, and/or adjust the line for inflation.

quote:

But more importantly for the Mets, if they invested the $5.9 million at 8% interest in 2000, that money would have grown to more than $14 million before they had to make a single payment to Bonilla. That money would continue to draw interest even while they are making payments.

By 2035, the Mets would still have $8.9 million left over (red line in chart below).

The mets are benefiting by getting to do whatever they want with the money they'd have given Bonilla up front. The article assumes they invest it at 8% returns, but that's not the only option. For example, they could use it to hire more expensive baseball players. So they benefit from both the gained financial flexibility (to do whatever they want with their $5.9M beginning in 2001) and from the presumably lower future costs if they chose to invest some or all of it to fund the future payments.

Similarly, by waiting for annual payouts this long, Bonilla has had to go without any of that money for all this time. So he has had an opportunity cost. If his only option was to invest it himself, then yes, this is a good deal for him in one respect - because it's a guaranteed return instead of a return subject to risk - but he could have used that money in other ways too... an opportunity cost. Meanwhile, his annual payments going forward are shrinking every year in real dollar terms.

My point here is that the article is correct that this was a good deal for the Mets, but it fails in two three respects. 1) It implies Bonilla is getting much more money eventually than he actually is by ignoring inflation, 2) it ignores the opportunity cost he took and the opportunity gain the Mets took, and - in Bonilla's favor - 3) it represents investment returns as "interest" and implies they're guaranteed.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 1, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have been trying to explain opportunity cost to this sub forum for a long time re: draft and salary cap. Good luck Leper.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Leperflesh posted:

The article describes how much money he'd have made with 8% annual returns (they say "interest" but that's nonsense, you can't earn 8% risk-free, it's investment returns which are subject to risk) on the lump sum up front. This ignores that inflation eats up around 2% annually of that: it's showing a chart with his eventual earnings described in, I guess, 2001 dollars. In other words, it looks like more money than it actually is. Any honest chart of some amount of money plotted over time should indicate what years' dollars it's in, and/or adjust the line for inflation.

The mets are benefiting by getting to do whatever they want with the money they'd have given Bonilla up front. The article assumes they invest it at 8% returns, but that's not the only option. For example, they could use it to hire more expensive baseball players. So they benefit from both the gained financial flexibility (to do whatever they want with their $5.9M beginning in 2001) and from the presumably lower future costs if they chose to invest some or all of it to fund the future payments.

Similarly, by waiting for annual payouts this long, Bonilla has had to go without any of that money for all this time. So he has had an opportunity cost. If his only option was to invest it himself, then yes, this is a good deal for him in one respect - because it's a guaranteed return instead of a return subject to risk - but he could have used that money in other ways too... an opportunity cost. Meanwhile, his annual payments going forward are shrinking every year in real dollar terms.

My point here is that the article is correct that this was a good deal for the Mets, but it fails in two three respects. 1) It implies Bonilla is getting much more money eventually than he actually is by ignoring inflation, 2) it ignores the opportunity cost he took and the opportunity gain the Mets took, and - in Bonilla's favor - 3) it represents investment returns as "interest" and implies they're guaranteed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Marshawn Lynch was not worth his contract

Get cancer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Just in case you don't think Conor is gonna get wrecked

https://twitter.com/BSO/status/880570391973945344

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have been trying to explain opportunity cost to this sub forum for a long time re: draft and salary cap. Good luck Leper.

It's not a difficult concept? If you choose Choice A, and Choice A was good, that doesn't mean you picked the best possible choice. You have to see if Choices B or C would have been better.

When discussing finances, opportunity cost is sometimes calculable. Even when it isn't, it must be at least recognized to exist. Otherwise, anyone who made a positive return on an investment can do things like ignore how much risk they took, or comparative benchmarks, etc. and unequivocally claim to be an investment genius.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Intruder posted:

Just in case you don't think Conor is gonna get wrecked

https://twitter.com/BSO/status/880570391973945344

lmao McGregor gonna get crushed

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Opportunity cost is not at all what I was asking. And his reasoning is flawed. You have to take the hypothetical as just that.

The 2% is counted when you count net present value of money vs the payments. It's like losing a drag race to someone then complaining the road was wet. It's a variable that effects both, and thus, it still shows that Bonilla is getting less, hypothetically, than he would've with the lump sum payment.

The lottery is a great example of why. Everyone knows take the lump sum

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Amy Pole Her posted:

I would take the annuity simply because I don't have the self control or discipline to handle the lump sum, even though it the former is less from a discounted cash flow point of view

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I would take the annuity simply because I don't have the self control or discipline to handle the lump sum, even though it the former is less from a discounted cash flow point of view

You could take the lump sum and buy yourself an annuity, though.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Opportunity cost is not at all what I was asking. And his reasoning is flawed. You have to take the hypothetical as just that.

The 2% is counted when you count net present value of money vs the payments. It's like losing a drag race to someone then complaining the road was wet. It's a variable that effects both, and thus, it still shows that Bonilla is getting less, hypothetically, than he would've with the lump sum payment.

I've agreed twice now that Bonilla is getting a bad deal/the Mets got a good deal. My only arguments are with the way the article presents its information; it uses numbers that ignore inflation, refers to a non-risk-free return as "interest," and does not mention the opportunity cost.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Am I being whooshed? Did jeffersononline say that too?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
And I've said twice that the inflation is in both. It's a constant not a variable. Theres zero reason to mention it.

30 million in 2025 is worth the same amount whether you collect it a piece at a time or a lump sum with earnings

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Leperflesh posted:

You could take the lump sum and buy yourself an annuity, though.

There is a small window between receiving the lump sum and buying the annuity in which I would overdose on 6-7 different things

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if i didn't have a loving final on monday, i could be getting lit on labatt blue and eating what my girlfriend just sent me a picture of

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

And I've said twice that the inflation is in both. It's a constant not a variable. Theres zero reason to mention it.

30 million in 2025 is worth the same amount whether you collect it a piece at a time or a lump sum with earnings

You're suggesting the article assumes 8% growth after inflation?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I just started listening to Crimetown. This owns.

"He never hurt...............he helped more people than he hurt"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

if i didn't have a loving final on monday, i could be getting lit on labatt blue and eating what my girlfriend just sent me a picture of

Canada day done somewhat right thank you

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
what the gently caress is all that poo poo underneath that good lookin meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spoeank posted:

what the gently caress is all that poo poo underneath that good lookin meat

Some loving tasty looking poutine.

• Locked thread