Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

All of those games look incredibly bad.

That's because they're all Android/iOS ports except for Metal Slug

So basically shovelware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Retro survival horror seems like a perfect fit for indie developers, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it done with actual single player modes and ps1 style graphics. Would be a nice fill in while the industry takes its sweet time bringing the genre back (though with RE7 and TEW2 I have hope).

Of course indies gotta indie so there'd be some dumb twist or precious writing where the Umbrella equivalent was actually a student loan servicer and the real survival horror is living as a millennial with an English degree or some poo poo.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Infinitum posted:

That's because they're all Android/iOS ports except for Metal Slug

So basically shovelware

We're on level with PS4 then. :v:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

bloodysabbath posted:

Retro survival horror seems like a perfect fit for indie developers, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it done with actual single player modes and ps1 style graphics. Would be a nice fill in while the industry takes its sweet time bringing the genre back (though with RE7 and TEW2 I have hope).

Of course indies gotta indie so there'd be some dumb twist or precious writing where the Umbrella equivalent was actually a student loan servicer and the real survival horror is living as a millennial with an English degree or some poo poo.

It's a trend that's blown up recently on Steam. But all those games are bad. And if this Vaccine is the Vaccine I think it is, the Switch now has the worst one.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Nintendo should ban any game that's ever been released on Android.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

leftist heap posted:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

leftist heap posted:

Nintendo should ban any game that's ever been released

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Weekly reminder that Nintendo is going to release an unfinished Star Fox sequel on a plug-and-play before they put any actual SNES games on their flagship console

leftist heap posted:

Honestly, you can probably expand that out to any mobile platform. I can probably count on one hand the number of enjoyable iOS games I've played that came out this year. It's just become this inescapable cesspool of homogenous freemium poo poo.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

imo i would love to see Death Road to Canada on the switch

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
FTL is on Android isn't it

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Raserys posted:

FTL is on Android isn't it

Sacrifices have to be made.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ban Minecraft, got it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I never trade in my video games. I keep them all. I even still have a copy of Vampire Rain for the 360. It sits under my floor like the Telltale Heart

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norns posted:

Stop
Doing
This

That's Zelda Souls!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
All Metal Slug games are good though.

Disclaimer: I am not enough into Metal Slug to discern whatever minute differences differentiate the games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leftist heap posted:

Counterpoint: VOEZ

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Scratch-O posted:

Weekly reminder that Nintendo is going to release an unfinished Star Fox sequel on a plug-and-play before they put any actual SNES games on their flagship console

Star Fox 2 is finished though.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
i got a switch it's good, and i got cars 3 for it and i bet that's good too.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

by astral
I read the last two pages.... because seriously you guys/gals don't quit. I wanted to know the general goonsensus on Bomberman R after all the patches and a 40% off sale in EU.

I enjoyed using a multi-tap on the SNES to play 4 player.... I heard the patches have had a positive impact..is the multiplayer still live?

P.S I look forward to fishing out the genuine response to this post...

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
its poo poo

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

by astral

HyperPuma posted:

its poo poo

Have you considered games journalism?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We are good at posting in this thread. My only regret is that I cannot post from my Nintendo Switch

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Manac0r posted:

I read the last two pages.... because seriously you guys/gals don't quit. I wanted to know the general goonsensus on Bomberman R after all the patches and a 40% off sale in EU.

I enjoyed using a multi-tap on the SNES to play 4 player.... I heard the patches have had a positive impact..is the multiplayer still live?

P.S I look forward to fishing out the genuine response to this post...

I have not played it personally, but I have heard that it is very much an early Super Bomberman gameplay-wise, whatever that means to you. Even at 40% off, though, you're still paying about 30 euro funbux or whatever for Bomberman in 2017. Take that into consideration.

Also, the gimmicks for the Pyramid Head and Vic Viper bombers look interesting imo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

GenericMartini posted:

i got a switch it's good, and i got cars 3 for it and i bet that's good too.

Cars 3 is insanely good

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I found out yesterday that there's a greyscale option in the menu. I have no idea why but it is kind of neat. Also inverted colours.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm pretty bad at this new Zelda and I can't figure out how to dodge when locked on

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mons Hubris posted:

I'm pretty bad at this new Zelda and I can't figure out how to dodge when locked on

You like hold back and tap jump? I havent played in a while. Its not really like a dodgy left right game as much as like a time the backflip type of game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mons Hubris posted:

Same as the other ones, jump to the sides or backflip. Try switching jump to B in the options. The default sucks, especially for combat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Makes sense to me. X is up, jump. B is bottom run fast with legs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Makes sense to me. X is up, jump. B is bottom run fast with legs

If they try that with mario im gonna riot

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Somehow when I get really tense in a fight and try to dodge I always end up crouching, probably from squeezing the poo poo out of the controller.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Maybe it's just me but dodging seems rather useless outside of flurries.

Also it took me a while to figure out dodging is about timing instead of actual positioning, if you're trying to trigger a flurry rush that is.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manac0r posted:

I wanted to know the general goonsensus on Bomberman R after all the patches and a 40% off sale in EU.
They just released a pretty significant patch for it this week. I picked it up for $35 used, haven't played it much but it seems OK. I think the biggest complaint is that there's not really enough content to justify the $50 price, not that there's anything inherently wrong with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chaleski posted:

Maybe it's just me but dodging seems rather useless outside of flurries.

Also it took me a while to figure out dodging is about timing instead of actual positioning, if you're trying to trigger a flurry rush that is.

Yeah if you try to dodge like a lionel sword by sight instead of timing you'll get inconsistent results of like flipping through the blade unharmed or getting killed by thin air. They were really inconsistent with like active frames or hitboxes or whatever idk the terminology.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yo which is the best Metal Slug game.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Either X or 3 and people will fight about which of those two is better.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I have the yellow joycons and they are nice. Been playing Cave Story + since I never got it on the PC.

Still can't get very far in ARMS, I'm stuck in the rank 4 tournament. Helix is my my and he blorbs to my heart's content.

I finally got a strategy guide for Mario Kart so I can learn the tracks while I pretend to work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Either X or 3 and people will fight about which of those two is better.

:yeah:

Honestly though the differences between slugs metal are pretty minor and they're all extremely good for the same reasons.

(ios and 3D offshoots don't count; those are crap)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even 4 and 5 are worth playing once if you have someone to play co-op with, but 1, 3, and X are the ones I can actually sit down and just play on my own every now and then. If you're new to the series, I'd recommend just playing them in order. There aren't any radical gameplay improvements in the later games, it's just a matter of what level designs you prefer.

3 has lots of branching paths with unique set pieces in each to keep the game replayable, but the argument against that is that after a couple of plays you'll just settle into your favorite path anyway and that the more linear X just flows better as a whole. Personally, I like both games equally because they both have lots of shooting and explosions.

4 is considered bad because it's basically a shovelware game made up of content recycled from the previous games, but it also has the best soundtrack in the series so play it just for that. 5 is bad because it was released ~40% complete, with entire cut levels and boss fights still present in the ROM data.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

• Locked thread