Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BBQ Dave posted:

Wouldn't you not be able to hear directionally, or at all for that matter, in outer space?

Not that it wouldn't be cool, mind you, they could say your helmet has advanced software that simulates directional sound to enhance spatial awareness. Or a typhon mod!

there's also micrograv enviroments that aren't vacuums. GUTS is filled with air, right?

and, judging from how movement works, so is the outside of the station but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah guts has air but no gravity, hence the big fans to keep the air moving and breathable. Shuttle bay meanwhile has gravity but no air.

Positional audio would have been great, I wish this game had it but considerings how badly it did with regular audio...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Two people were trying to talk to me at once and I was just praying one would shut up so I could hear one.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

BBQ Dave posted:

Doing my no human mods runthrough on hard.

How is it? I've been tempted to do that run next time I play, but going full Typhon without taking any of the scientist tree stuff that lets you upgrade your Psi or Psychoscope sounds like a real pain in the rear end. Not sure how I would do that besides just rushing straight to the quest that lets you drug the water

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

aniviron posted:

How is it? I've been tempted to do that run next time I play, but going full Typhon without taking any of the scientist tree stuff that lets you upgrade your Psi or Psychoscope sounds like a real pain in the rear end. Not sure how I would do that besides just rushing straight to the quest that lets you drug the water

Fun fun fun! Everything is terrifying for longer and you need to embrace your inner Buddhist when it comes to items (can't hack] wish there was a one time hack tool. Gotta be stealthy.
Just think of yourself as a sneaky wizard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Elaborate, if you can.

I manage a series of escape rooms in a very popular vacation destination in the US.

I'm finishing my Nightmare Human Only run through and while it isn't as OP as Psychoshock, I totally skipped Combat Focus on my first play through so it's been pretty fun breaking the game in that way

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 2, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I started off as a human mod only run. The way the ammo and resource management in this game really gripped me. I always managed to run REAL close to running out of pistol and shotgun ammo before running into a new fabricator. Yes, I COULD have used all the mineral blocks on neuromods if I used the wrench more often. No, I WON'T because I'm a big ol scaredy baby who needs more bullets than the national guard before I enter the next room filled with coffee cups and phantoms.

Fantastic balance!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had over 80 neuromods in my inventory for a long while because I was uncertain of what to commit them to.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KirbyKhan posted:

I started off as a human mod only run. The way the ammo and resource management in this game really gripped me. I always managed to run REAL close to running out of pistol and shotgun ammo before running into a new fabricator. Yes, I COULD have used all the mineral blocks on neuromods if I used the wrench more often. No, I WON'T because I'm a big ol scaredy baby who needs more bullets than the national guard before I enter the next room filled with coffee cups and phantoms.

Fantastic balance!

Yeah the balance of the progression and scarcity has really impressed me, this is probably the best I've ever seen it implemented in a game. There's a great transition from focusing on just being able to deal with individual enemies to focusing on having the necessary materials and resources to continue progressing. Despite being crazy powerful compared to where I started I still don't feel particularly overpowered because I just don't have the resources to go completely ham like a regular FPS.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's funny how I'll make sure to have +70 shotgun shells and +100 pistol rounds on me when I leave a replicator and get really antsy when either of them drop to - 40/20.

Although I'm doing a no-needles run and I really wish I could get a bigger inventory. Can't I fabricate a bigger backpack plz?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Nope, if you want a bigger backpack you gotta jam at least four needles in your eyeball.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dropping a bottle of alcohol to mimic it to get through a window will always be fun.

Even better when you have to shove a reployer against the window.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

The in game document "neuromod application instructions" says you have to hold the neuromod in your eyeball for five minutes. Isn't that weird? In the game it's like you can do it as fast as reloading a gun.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Maybe that's why Morgan needs 4 to learn how to run faster, dude just takes a swig from each one and leaves a bottle with 90% of the juice in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bust Rodd posted:

My job consists of my sitting in a tiny office watching people try to escape death traps all day and

3Romeo posted:

Grenfell landlord?
Sweet Jesus.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Summer sale thread reminded me to get Arx Fatalis. It's only $1.24 on Steam atm.

(And Dishonored is $2.50 if you've avoided that for some reason).

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Is there a simple spoiler-free guide on getting the endings?

I just got to Aaron and considering if saving him is really worth it. If if 'influences' which ending I get, I guess I should walk away for now and come back later just before finishing up so I can easily choose between the endings? Again just trying to figure out how to get closest to the end as possible before dedicating myself to an ending. At this point I assume I could side with December, January or Alex.

edit: Oh I see I can't walk away. Is this where I need to choose which ending to go towards?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KirbyKhan posted:

Fantastic balance!

On a human run Leverage is the King Of Skills. :v: Surprisingly good ranged damage AND stun :siren: without using resources :siren:.

Atoramos posted:

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Is there a simple spoiler-free guide on getting the endings?

I just got to Aaron and considering if saving him is really worth it. If if 'influences' which ending I get, I guess I should walk away for now and come back later just before finishing up so I can easily choose between the endings? Again just trying to figure out how to get closest to the end as possible before dedicating myself to an ending. At this point I assume I could side with December, January or Alex.

edit: Oh I see I can't walk away. Is this where I need to choose which ending to go towards?

Minimal spoiler but people who aren't you might want to be even blinder: The ending component Aaron is relevant to is "save lots of people" vs "don't save lots of people" vs "kill lots of people".

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On a human run Leverage is the King Of Skills. :v: Surprisingly good ranged damage AND stun :siren: without using resources :siren:.

Minimal spoiler but people who aren't you might want to be even blinder: The ending component Aaron is relevant to is "save lots of people" vs "don't save lots of people" vs "kill lots of people".

Oh I have no idea what even influences which ending I get. Do I need to give myself room to save everyone? My current plan was to follow whatever January and December told me to do until they gave me conflicting jobs, then make a manual save and try to get each ending. Now I'll also be holding off on effecting Aaron. Anything else I might miss that I should watch out for? I'm also assuming I can choose what to do with Alex whenever I end up confronting him.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

BBQ Dave posted:

The in game document "neuromod application instructions" says you have to hold the neuromod in your eyeball for five minutes. Isn't that weird? In the game it's like you can do it as fast as reloading a gun.

I'm pretty sure this is addressed in the game. End game spoilers (seriously don't look if you haven't beaten it): You aren't human. Alien goo probably interacts with an alien differently than it does with a human brain. Considering it is all a simulation, who knows if you even need the drat things to transform. Needing to collect neuromods could just be a side effect from thinking you are human.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 3, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a gameplay abstraction

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Aiming and predicting enemy movement does take a bit of getting used to.

Atoramos posted:

Oh I have no idea what even influences which ending I get. Do I need to give myself room to save everyone? My current plan was to follow whatever January and December told me to do until they gave me conflicting jobs, then make a manual save and try to get each ending. Now I'll also be holding off on effecting Aaron. Anything else I might miss that I should watch out for? I'm also assuming I can choose what to do with Alex whenever I end up confronting him.

I'd recommend you don't stress about it. Play according to your gut and ability. The actual ending is so minimally important.

Save worrying about the possible permutations for future playthroughs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've finished my "no-needles" run. That became a chore by the end.

Is a Typhon-only run fun at all? The no needles got annoying at the end as I really wanted more inventory space, health, stealth, mobility or offensive capabilities, basically all the fun stuff that humans get.

Also are the psionics unlocks in the scientist tree considered human upgrades y/n?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

double nine posted:

Also are the psionics unlocks in the scientist tree considered human upgrades y/n?

They are. :negative:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Prey would be an OBJECTIVELY better game if your inventory, suit chip, and psychoscope chip CAPACITY upgrades were craftable upgrades that you find schematics for instead of neuromods.

It's weird that you'd spend neuromods to be better at packing your suitcase or sewing more pockets on to your space pants when it's competing with super speed, super strength, or mind-lightning.

Making them equippable items that you craft used existing systems but keeps the neuromods more thematic, IMO.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 3, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my main idea to improve the game is to make increased weapon damage mainly be by finding better guns, instead of using neuromods to increase the damage on your small arsenal. I always hate the latter system, it doesn't make sense that increasing some skill makes your guns more powerful, even if it's a gameplay abstraction

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to do The Cook's Request and I think I've hit a bug. When I met the chef for the first time, after clearing the canteen, he was just giving me his key card and I accidentally shot at him, which made him run off and failed the quest. So I loaded the last save, got his key card and didn't shoot at him, but when I go to the mission marker for "Chef's Room" it won't let me open the door, as it says I don't have the key. Going back to him doesn't help, he still wants the item from his room. I'm not going to be able to finish this side-quest, am I?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cultural Marxist posted:

I'm trying to do The Cook's Request and I think I've hit a bug. When I met the chef for the first time, after clearing the canteen, he was just giving me his key card and I accidentally shot at him, which made him run off and failed the quest. So I loaded the last save, got his key card and didn't shoot at him, but when I go to the mission marker for "Chef's Room" it won't let me open the door, as it says I don't have the key. Going back to him doesn't help, he still wants the item from his room. I'm not going to be able to finish this side-quest, am I?

Does the key lie on the counter somewhere? I didn't pay attention if I had to pick the key up or if it was teleported into my inventory. Alternatively you may have to load an even earlier save - maybe after you do a hard reboot?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I left it in the counter too

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, wow, finally beat it and I totally called the ending after reading one of the notes about it. Also I would like to add it is dumb as heck they grade you on how many mind-controlled humans die because the environment killed them, not me! I specifically shocked all of them! Assholes..

I also really like that you can use the personal escape pod and don't have to join the other folks if you decide to blow up the station.

Just the great sorta attention to detail I love about Arkane. Any chance of them rolling with the same, cool patches they did for Dishonoured 2?

BBQ Dave posted:

I realize this may come as a shock, but the people on Talos arenīt following proper safety precautions at this point, I would think.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 4, 2017

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Christ, I'm flashing back to the limerick twins now, Infinite is a bad game.
Yeah, bioshock infinite's story felt like the TV show lost. All these startling, intrigueing things appear then you get the feeling writers were struggling to tie the all together after the fact, know what I mean? Ooooh, a smoke monster, a polar bear, etc. Didn't really come together. Oooh a floating city, transdimensional twins, rosenkranzt and guidenstern are dead esque coin flipping. Didn't really come together.

Prey's story comes together cohesively. Everything you see earlier makes perfect sense later.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Atoramos posted:

The different endings require entirely different choices throughout the entire game, there's not much point in trying to hold on to a savegame so that you can get all of them. You have to replay so much of the game you may as well do it in multiple runs. If you really want to skip everything leading up to Psychotronics, you can save where you are now and start over from there, but it's all or nothing for the most part.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I started playing SOMA and something tells me some people itt would definitely enjoy this game. No combat or stuff like that but exploring a weird sci-fi base and its workings/computers in a horror atmosphere (and it's more System Shock-y in that regard than Prey) hits some similar enjoyment buttons for me.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Palpek posted:

I started playing SOMA and something tells me some people itt would definitely enjoy this game. No combat or stuff like that but exploring a weird sci-fi base and its workings/computers in a horror atmosphere (and it's more System Shock-y in that regard than Prey) hits some similar enjoyment buttons for me.

I actually did the same thing after finishing Prey. SOMA is definitely worth a look, but I'd recommend people install the mod on the steam workshop that takes prevents the enemies from attacking you. They're more of an annoyance than anything. The ideas SOMA brings up are pretty great, but playing it back to back with Prey really made me appreciate how well Prey's dialog was constructed. Some of SOMA's dialog is fairly redundant or juvenile. SOMA definitely nails the atmosphere it's going though, for sure.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Weird - last playthrough when I killed the named phantom Thorstein in hardware labs, November tuned in to say that "I had the sense he admired you". This time I get the comment that "I had the sense he resented you". I have no idea what's different about the playthroughs - I haven't put points into anything yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Palpek posted:

SOMA is nice if you enjoyed the story in Prey and the sci-fi setting, although I liked Prey's retro-future much more than Soma's generic underwater robot base. If you also enjoy the immersive sim stuff in Prey, like exploring, finding various ways to deal with obstacles, picking your own combat style, reading emails, climbing up into strange places via GLOO, backtracking and finding new challenges in familiar areas, etc. then SOMA's gonna leave you cold, because all you really do is walk around, solve very simple puzzles, and hide from pain in the rear end enemies that as Sardonik mentions you'd be better off just disabling via mods to save yourself the trouble.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

double nine posted:

Does the key lie on the counter somewhere? I didn't pay attention if I had to pick the key up or if it was teleported into my inventory. Alternatively you may have to load an even earlier save - maybe after you do a hard reboot?

I am so dumb, it was sitting there on the counter. For some reason I was sure it had been automatically added to my inventory. Thanks!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

double nine posted:

Weird - last playthrough when I killed the named phantom Thorstein in hardware labs, November tuned in to say that "I had the sense he admired you". This time I get the comment that "I had the sense he resented you". I have no idea what's different about the playthroughs - I haven't put points into anything yet.

I' got 'I had the sense he resented you' on my two playthroughs as M and F Morgan. I hadn't put points into anything either at that point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SOMA is great and well worth playing, but it's definitely not much like prey. It's a straight up horror game, not a mechanics-driven thing like prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Man, where the hell is this Grant Lockwood guy?

I know he's out in space. My objective marker gets me that far, but once I'm in space it vanishes.

I've looked up several guides and even some youtube videos and I just can't find him. I never see a "human corpse" marker out there. I even crafted like 15 Anti-Rad packages and cruised around in the radiation zone for a while.