Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is the GBA old enough that Nintendo just has to ignore people making things that can play it now, like the NES and SNES stuff has been for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't think anything stops you from cloning the functionality, but they might have something to say about the appearance.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is the GBA old enough that Nintendo just has to ignore people making things that can play it now, like the NES and SNES stuff has been for a while?

The big issue is violating patents and trademarks. Trademarks are easy to avoid: don't look like it's something Nintendo made and you're good. Patents can be a bit trickier but the age of the systems make it likely that the patents have expired at this point. Then as long as they're not taking Nintendo software (I'm not sure if there's even a BIOS in the GBA to protect with copyright; it might be stored in the game carts), they're good.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It took a full 20 years for the patent on the D-pad to expire, so there's that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

There's not much value left in the GBA as a hardware platform, and Nintendo themselves have long stopped selling GBA-compatible hardware. Hardware clones aren't enabling game piracy, except, obviously where they ship with pirated games as many of the knockoff ones do.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not sure if there's even a BIOS in the GBA to protect with copyright;
The GBA does have a BIOS. It's been reimplemented in emulators so it's not required to ship Nintendo's version. I suspect many of the knockoffs do though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
8bitDo retro receivers are legit. Feels more fun to play my PVM'd sfc and fc with DS4 and wirelessly.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrLonghair posted:

8bitDo retro receivers are legit. Feels more fun to play my PVM'd sfc and fc with DS4 and wirelessly.

Just picked up the SNES30 today. I'll have to get those receivers when I pickup some more carts. For now it's just for PC use... but man does it look nice.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Are there any good no-frills wireless NES controllers? It's hard to find anything online because of the glut if NES Classic accessories out there, but I just want basically a regular ol 2 button rectangle NES controller that's wireless. No turbo or extra face buttons or whatever. The 8bitdo stuff looks great for SNES but I just don't like playing NES games on anything with extra stuff.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Are there any good no-frills wireless NES controllers? It's hard to find anything online because of the glut if NES Classic accessories out there, but I just want basically a regular ol 2 button rectangle NES controller that's wireless. No turbo or extra face buttons or whatever. The 8bitdo stuff looks great for SNES but I just don't like playing NES games on anything with extra stuff.

Just buy a loving NES30 and pretend the other buttons aren't there.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crackbone posted:

Yeah, I mean the extra buttons bug me...but goddamn is the build on 8bitdo products sweet.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I mean the extra buttons bug me...but goddamn is the build on 8bitdo products sweet.

Enjoy

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Crackbone posted:

I mean yeah I can do that but I wanted to know if there was something else where I wouldn't have to. Why the hostility?

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The d-pad on the NES30 is kinda poo poo out of the box, though - shallow throw and very easy to hit diagonals by accident. I replaced the d-pad and membrane on mine with a legit NES one from a dead controller I had lying around, and it got WAY better.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Plankton posted:

I mean yeah I can do that but I wanted to know if there was something else where I wouldn't have to. Why the hostility?

I'm with you. The two extra buttons are kind of hard to ignore when you are pressed right up against them. Plus it looks ugly as hell. Same with the new ones they got coming out with the 3d sticks. At that point why not just use a Dual Shock 4 or something. It doesn't look like an nes or SNES controller any longer.

The SNES30 from 8bitdo is perfection though.

Maybe the top half of the NES 8bitdo is identical in depth to the original NES controller and you can take it apart, take out the extra buttons, and just do that? I'd give it a shot but I only have the SNES30

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just got my snes and genesis hd-retrovision cables from the latest batch. I'm not using them on an HDTV, just a 27" CRT with component inputs but the difference is loving amazing. Everything is sharp. There's no noise. Nothing looks muddy.

I'll try 'em on my HDTV later but I expect they won't work. Doesn't matter because I got them for the CRT anyway.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PsyClops posted:

The d-pad on the NES30 is kinda poo poo out of the box, though - shallow throw and very easy to hit diagonals by accident. I replaced the d-pad and membrane on mine with a legit NES one from a dead controller I had lying around, and it got WAY better.

I don't want to disassemble any of my actual NES controllers, as they're all working, is there a better-than-NES30-stock replacement available online?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hey does frame meister and good cables do anything about that weird vertical wavy line on most SNES?

Probably not... but I can dream!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tree Dude posted:

Hey does frame meister and good cables do anything about that weird vertical wavy line on most SNES?

Probably not... but I can dream!

It doesn't, but if it's the white vertical band you're talking about, then there are potential fixes for it:

http://retrorgb.com/snesverticalline.html

You could try to do it yourself, or talk to Monitor Burn; I'm sure it's within his wheelhouse to do it, if you really wanted.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813846

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was gonna hit him up for an nes and n64 RGB mod at some point so I'll probably just send him that too if he's up for it.

I don't think I ever noticed it until reading about it in the previous thread :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So, I stumbled onto something especially weird. You know Typing of the Dead, right? Sure you do, everybody's favorite obscure Dreamcast game. Did you know it had a sequel on the Dreamcast? No, I haven't misidentified Overkill. I give you this:

[url]http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20893331[/url]

(All footage of it being played that I can find is on Nico Nico, aka the worst goddamned video site in the world. Get with mid-2000's Internet, Japan.)

The title, for those who have to know, is Typing of the Date (this is even more of a pun in Japanese where it goes from "day-do" to "day-to").

The Dreamcast actually has a couple more typing tutorial games along these lines. The other ones are licensed games based on Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have not been able to find footage of the final stage to determine if you just have to type "congratulations" over and over as fast as you can.

I suppose I should say that Typing of the Date is actually by Hudson so there's no actual connection besides someone going with the parody name.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 1, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

So, I stumbled onto something especially weird. You know Typing of the Dead, right? Sure you do, everybody's favorite obscure Dreamcast game. Did you know it had a sequel on the Dreamcast? No, I haven't misidentified Overkill. I give you this:

[url]http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20893331[/url]

(All footage of it being played that I can find is on Nico Nico, aka the worst goddamned video site in the world. Get with mid-2000's Internet, Japan.)

The title, for those who have to know, is Typing of the Date (this is even more of a pun in Japanese where it goes from "day-do" to "day-to").

The Dreamcast actually has a couple more typing tutorial games along these lines. The other ones are licensed games based on Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have not been able to find footage of the final stage to determine if you just have to type "congratulations" over and over as fast as you can.

The cabinet my local arcade has Typing of the Dead in still has labels and info cards for Lupin III Typing

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Speaking of Typing of the Dead- I've always wanted this game but never wanted the burdon of having a Dreamast keyboard taking up space. Anyone aware of an adapter to use a standard PS2 or USB keyboard instead? I've googled it in the past and always seem to come up with the opposite. direction (Dreamcast controller -> USB).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

Speaking of Typing of the Dead- I've always wanted this game but never wanted the burdon of having a Dreamast keyboard taking up space. Anyone aware of an adapter to use a standard PS2 or USB keyboard instead? I've googled it in the past and always seem to come up with the opposite. direction (Dreamcast controller -> USB).

There is a PC version that exists, though as far as I know it is not available through any of the usual sites. Used copies can be found for a fair amount of money though I believe it still works decently with modern systems (I think they've been using the PC versions for the GDQ runs). And of course there's Typing of the Dead Overkill which moves the concept into House of the Dead Overkill (currently $4 on Steam; $5.20 if you want all of the wacky specialty dictionaries so you can quote Shakespeare and shoot zombies).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 1, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Random Stranger posted:

I suppose I should say that Typing of the Date is actually by Hudson so there's no actual connection besides someone going with the parody name.

That's not really a sequel so much as a parody??

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

:filez: the olde pc version.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

GutBomb posted:

I just got my snes and genesis hd-retrovision cables from the latest batch. I'm not using them on an HDTV, just a 27" CRT with component inputs but the difference is loving amazing. Everything is sharp. There's no noise. Nothing looks muddy.

I'll try 'em on my HDTV later but I expect they won't work. Doesn't matter because I got them for the CRT anyway.

Just got my SNES one as well and plugged in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters to check it out. Works just fine on my HDTV, way better than standard AV, although due to scaling or whatever there is a faint ghost/artifact around bits of text on white backgrounds. Otherwise brilliant, though. Gotta try out some other games! Also gotta see how it fairs on my LCD SDTV.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

There is a PC version that exists, though as far as I know it is not available through any of the usual sites. Used copies can be found for a fair amount of money though I believe it still works decently with modern systems (I think they've been using the PC versions for the GDQ runs). And of course there's Typing of the Dead Overkill which moves the concept into House of the Dead Overkill (currently $4 on Steam; $5.20 if you want all of the wacky specialty dictionaries so you can quote Shakespeare and shoot zombies).

There's also a legit Typing of the Dead 2, a Japan-only PC release based on HOTD3. It's pretty much just HOTD3 with a keyboard, they didn't make it any wackier.

If you have a DS there's also English of the Dead: instead of typing words as fast as you can, the zombies show words written in Japanese and you have to write the English equivalent on the touchscreen using the stylus.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Pinball of the Dead is a little slow and tedious compared to better pinball games, but the presentation goes a long way.

EDIT: Also wave 2 of the current stock of HD Retrovision cables is up on the site right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Motherfucking Typing Of The Dead: Overkill is readily available on motherfucking Steam.

Motherfuckers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Dreamcast versions of the Typing of the Dead support 2 players with distinct keyboards, correct? That's a leg up over the PC version if so.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is there a one stop shop for all the SCART cables I'm going to need? NES after I mod it, SNES, Genesis, N64w/mod, Saturn

I think that's it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Good to know that there's a PC version of it but I'd rather play it on the Dreamcast.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

univbee posted:

The Dreamcast versions of the Typing of the Dead support 2 players with distinct keyboards, correct? That's a leg up over the PC version if so.

The PC version supports LAN play.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Tree Dude posted:

Is there a one stop shop for all the SCART cables I'm going to need? NES after I mod it, SNES, Genesis, N64w/mod, Saturn

I think that's it.

I've bought from https://retrogamingcables.co.uk many times, but I'm in the UK. Not sure how competitive their international shipping is.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I've bought from https://retrogamingcables.co.uk many times, but I'm in the UK. Not sure how competitive their international shipping is.

It's pretty drat reasonable. I've bought a bunch of cables for them and it wasn't much more expensive than buying from ebay.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Motherfucking Typing Of The Dead: Overkill is readily available on motherfucking Steam.

Motherfuckers.

$5 with all DLC until the summer sale ends, hot poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
People on Reddit have been reporting that Toys R Us stores in the mid-west have been getting NES Clasisc/Mini systems in stock out of nowhere. Quite a few people provided pictures.

If some goon here comes across one and picks one up for me, I'll (obviously) pay you the money but I'll also do any and all system mods you like even though I stopped doing them since having a kid 2 years ago.

I want one so bad but I seriously cannot stomach supporting people on eBay with their pictures of the 30 of them they have stocked like a pyramid.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

People on Reddit have been reporting that Toys R Us stores in the mid-west have been getting NES Clasisc/Mini systems in stock out of nowhere. Quite a few people provided pictures.

If some goon here comes across one and picks one up for me, I'll (obviously) pay you the money but I'll also do any and all system mods you like even though I stopped doing them since having a kid 2 years ago.

I want one so bad but I seriously cannot stomach supporting people on eBay with their pictures of the 30 of them they have stocked like a pyramid.

I'm in the same situation. I may check today and if I can walk away with two, I'll sell you the other. Or if some kind goon buys the entire case to sell to us.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My nowinstock alert pinged twice for the NES Classic CONTROLLER at thesource.ca, although it wasn't in stock when I checked later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Retro-bit is making one; I'm sure Hyperkin will follow suit, and the GB clones shall rise.

Hyperkin is apparently actually making the turbo express clone they put up as an april fools joke a couple years back and I'm praying it'll work with my everdrive.

• Locked thread