Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Erd posted:

His Salvage Beacons mod makes settlement development easier too. How it works is, you set up a settler manned object in a settlement and whenever you find junk in the field you whack it in a container and add a beacon. You then choose which workbench you want it to end up at. But I tend to use it to move say, a dozen 10mm pistols and some armour to the castle in preparation for the influx of settlers about to arrive. It was a great help moving all my guns and equipment south from Sanctuary without lugging it all myself.

I use that mod too and I think it's a great example of the right direction to take settlements. He also said in some YouTube video that he wants to make that feature and similar ones a part of tech trees in Sim Settlements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd really like it if areas surrounding settlements would have more friendly NPCs show up the larger they get. Right now you don't really get a sense of really rebuilding civilization much because settlements are basically islands in an otherwise empty world.

One of the fun and nice things about STALKER and its dozens of mods is that persistent NPCs will actually cruise around the world and interact with the environment, so if you help a group of loners fight off some mutants at a camp you can run into the same guys later on scavenging for artifacts or chilling out at a camp. It goes a long way to making the world feel like it has more life in it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MJ12 posted:

I think it also runs into the problem that heavy guns tend to be pretty underpowered, and WBO is really good but really only brings them to the same level, relatively, as the other guns. It's also hurt because of how Fallout 4's weapon and armor weights get ultra ridiculous. The Sole Survivor is clearly some kind of horrifying murder cyborg, because he/she can apparently move around despite wearing a hundred pounds of marine corps armor while carrying a 25 pound 'rifle.'

Speaking of USMC Armor-is there a mod which gives high-level Gunners and BoS types access to that? It's good, cool-looking armor and fits both organizations' aesthetic.

Confession time. I flat out didn't bother to even try balancing weapon weights because it's a pain in the rear end, irrelevant the vast majority of the time, and to be entirely honest WBO started as a personal project for me and I just modav.carryweight 1000 as literally the first thing I do once I'm out in the wasteland.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

turn off the TV posted:

I'd really like it if areas surrounding settlements would have more friendly NPCs show up the larger they get. Right now you don't really get a sense of really rebuilding civilization much because settlements are basically islands in an otherwise empty world.

Agreed on this too. I think that We Are the Minutemen adds some Minutemen around/between your settlements, and when I've spotted them in the past it was really cool. Growing settlements spawning more exotic and numerous NPCs traveling between settlements would really flesh out the experience.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16987/

This Mod also unlocks travelling groups as you reach various milestones. Japanese author with a machine translation so the description is terrible but there are videos for cover for them.

Erd fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 1, 2017

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

MJ12 posted:

I think it also runs into the problem that heavy guns tend to be pretty underpowered, and WBO is really good but really only brings them to the same level, relatively, as the other guns. It's also hurt because of how Fallout 4's weapon and armor weights get ultra ridiculous. The Sole Survivor is clearly some kind of horrifying murder cyborg, because he/she can apparently move around despite wearing a hundred pounds of marine corps armor while carrying a 25 pound 'rifle.'

Speaking of USMC Armor-is there a mod which gives high-level Gunners and BoS types access to that? It's good, cool-looking armor and fits both organizations' aesthetic.

no, because it looks like poo poo and you need your eyes tested ffs.

yes, i am a mebmer of the usmc, i see you are impressed with the little shelf on my shoulders. it is where we display our loving minature trees and i have completly forgotten what they are called thus making this whole exercise pointless.

its like sopmeone in beth said "ohshit, we have an hour to model and texture some cool aquatic armor but not have it look like csa".

bonsai, gently caress off.

aside from that, even if you have like, the worst and most poo poo taste imaginable, actually making a little mod to do just that is p. easy. i could make one and make a little tutorial,

staberind fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 1, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MJ12 posted:

while carrying a 25 pound 'rifle.'

I loved this bit especially, I managed to make an AK that weighed like 35. I can almost sort of buy that the Lewis Gun assault rifle in the vanilla game might do this since it's based on a water-cooled heavy machine gun, but an AK, really? Is the bolt carrier made out of neutronium, is that what happened?

turn off the TV posted:

One of the fun and nice things about STALKER and its dozens of mods is that persistent NPCs will actually cruise around the world and interact with the environment, so if you help a group of loners fight off some mutants at a camp you can run into the same guys later on scavenging for artifacts or chilling out at a camp. It goes a long way to making the world feel like it has more life in it.

I really liked how this was done organically, too. There weren't protected NPCs or anything, it just so happened that if you helped people who were friendly or neutral to you, they'd be more able to fight off other things that were hostile to both of you, and the more often you did this more groups of them would happen to be nearby one another, making all of them more likely to survive thus making the area safer to travel and giving you access to more merchants. No heavy scripting required, no protected or essential NPCs, just the slow accumulation of less dead friendlies than enemies.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

staberind posted:

yes, i am a mebmer of the usmc, i see you are impressed with the little shelf on my shoulders. it is where we display our loving minature trees and i have completly forgotten what they are called thus making this whole exercise pointless.

its like sopmeone in beth said "ohshit, we have an hour to model and texture some cool aquatic armor but not have it look like csa".

I don't mean the wetsuit, I mean the big heavy suit of modular armor that looks like a combination of a bomb blast suit and T-45. It's not nearly as cool as like, NV's riot armors but it looks better than most of the game's heavy armor designs IMO. The wetsuit doesn't look great but when you're basically cosplaying a CoD Juggernaut you don't see it.

Maybe I just like heavy high-tech full body armors like NV's riot gear more than you but it at least aesthetically feels like an upgrade to your protection in a way a lot of Fallout 4's armors don't.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

staberind posted:

aside from that, even if you have like, the worst and most poo poo taste imaginable, actually making a little mod to do just that is p. easy. i could make one and make a little tutorial,

source your quotes.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

turn off the TV posted:

What I'd like to see is strategic point or resource control tied to settlements, like making the defunct factories around Boston useful if you control enough surrounding settlements. There are a lot -- beer production, steelworks, machine assembly, so it seems like a huge wasted potential.

It looks like the SS Indo Revo kind of does that, but with spontaneous resource nodes instead of the existing ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah power armour in FO4 is really more like a small mech suit than just a really good piece of equipment, so it would make sense to just go all the way with that.

Although I don't know if I'd really want it to go as far as making certain weapons ONLY equippable via power armour. I mean the old fallout games classified strength in the upper range as basically superhuman, so it stands to reason that they'd still be able to use things that a normal person needs power armour to handle.

Oh no I mean you can take apart a fat man and strap it onto your shoulder or something.

The really obvious version is sticking power fists on both hands, because why the gently caress can't you use the power fist in power armour?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The really obvious version is sticking power fists on both hands, because why the gently caress can't you use the power fist in power armour?

There's mods for your power armor's fists, so they half-assedly tried to make it so power armor basically gives you a pair of murder mitts.

New mod request: I want to strap shotguns to my power-armored fists.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Saint Sputnik posted:

What I'd like to see is strategic point or resource control tied to settlements, like making the defunct factories around Boston useful if you control enough surrounding settlements. There are a lot -- beer production, steelworks, machine assembly, so it seems like a huge wasted potential.

It looks like the SS Indo Revo kind of does that, but with spontaneous resource nodes instead of the existing ones.

This is what the Warfare addon for the STALKER Call of Chernobyl mod does, certain locations around the map are resource points, and having members of your faction stationed at them will net you their income benefits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saint Sputnik posted:

Yeah I always thought a cool thing might be if you could launch expeditions from your settlements to nearby points of interest. Like sanctuary should be able to attack the quarry to get scrap and concrete. You could pick some dudes and some equipment for them and then lead the attack yourself, would have a neat AI vs AI element like the attack on the castle, and it would give you something to do in exchange for building up your settlement.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh no I mean you can take apart a fat man and strap it onto your shoulder or something.

The fists from F3 and NV even look like they're meant to connect to some kind of armor. It would've been interesting to see fist weapons reclassified as armor and made to fit into that sub-system, instead of having an awkward restriction put in place when you try to wear a power fist and a power armor fist. That and shoulder mounted fatmen would really kick the PA system up a notch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Now if only Bethesda put even half of these good ideas into the inevitable special edition.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I always thought a cool thing might be if you could launch expeditions from your settlements to nearby points of interest. Like sanctuary should be able to attack the quarry to get scrap and concrete. You could pick some dudes and some equipment for them and then lead the attack yourself, would have a neat AI vs AI element like the attack on the castle, and it would give you something to do in exchange for building up your settlement.

It would be extremely tedious to script but having ruined areas where, once the player has cleared them of hostiles, nearby settlers could come and over time dismantle the entire ruin for resources to build up their settlement would be really cool. You'd see some scripted progression of the overworld areas getting stripped down to nothing while your settlements grow. Maybe you could assign more or less people and to see them like the provisioners going back and forth. Particular places (and I'm assuming here that it's entirely scripted and hence limited to just some well demarcated locations) could give a unique item or buildable structure once you reach salvage level x.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

marshmallow creep posted:

Now if only Bethesda put even half of these good ideas into the inevitable special edition.

But that would require them to make new content for the special edition instead of just updating the engine.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Seashell Salesman posted:

It would be extremely tedious to script but having ruined areas where, once the player has cleared them of hostiles, nearby settlers could come and over time dismantle the entire ruin for resources to build up their settlement would be really cool. You'd see some scripted progression of the overworld areas getting stripped down to nothing while your settlements grow. Maybe you could assign more or less people and to see them like the provisioners going back and forth. Particular places (and I'm assuming here that it's entirely scripted and hence limited to just some well demarcated locations) could give a unique item or buildable structure once you reach salvage level x.

Something at least kind of like this exists with the checkpoint system, where certain spots are set to spawn NPCs belonging to whichever factions. Expanding on that system would be really interesting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

Something at least kind of like this exists with the checkpoint system, where certain spots are set to spawn NPCs belonging to whichever factions. Expanding on that system would be really interesting.

Yeah there's this one spot I noticed and I'm sure most other people have as well because it's right along the main path from Sanctuary into Diamond City, where for some reason it's this tiny little cafe or something that CONSTANTLY respawns with different factions every time. I've seen generic raiders there, I've seen Minutemen defending against a Children of Atom attack, Rust Devils fighting Mechanist robots, etc. It made me think that some kind of dynamic map-wide faction conquest thing would be cool, but the scripting needed to make it all work would probably be a crazy amount of effort.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's silly when the Gunners spawn with an abandoned tank that's clearly been immobile for decades. It's not there for any other random encounter.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

It's silly when the Gunners spawn with an abandoned tank that's clearly been immobile for decades. It's not there for any other random encounter.

It's also silly that you have the Brotherhood using stolen Vertibirds, building the Pyrdwen, pretty much re-engineering Liberty Prime, etc, but nobody in the Commonwealth has bothered to try and fix up any of these nuclear vehicles which still have power, apparently, since the reactors still detonate

But nobody figured out how to fix up those APCs/tanks

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

It's also silly that you have the Brotherhood using stolen Vertibirds, building the Pyrdwen, pretty much re-engineering Liberty Prime, etc, but nobody in the Commonwealth has bothered to try and fix up any of these nuclear vehicles which still have power, apparently, since the reactors still detonate

But nobody figured out how to fix up those APCs/tanks

All of those things are easier than adding in yet another system to this game. (ie: working vehicles)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

I was thinking more like a radiant quest where you hear that some raiders have set up in a location and found something valuable, and then you get to launch a raid there yourself to take it off them. Or maybe you could do it with non-raider factions at the risk of pissing them off. Then you add in things like chances of counterattack waves at the objective once you clear it, or retaliatory attacks at the settlement after you finish.

But yeah stuff like dismantling some areas would be neat.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I speak Japanese only, and I want to drive a utility cart.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25189/

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Davoren posted:

I speak Japanese only, and I want to drive a utility cart.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25189/

Someone made the best TsukijiCartFallout4 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34xv2Ojv6U

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I cannot get HUDFramework to play nice with Def_UI. I have manually patched the Hud .swf file but when I launch into the game I just get a message that HUD_Framework isn't required so the components are disabling. Has anyone else had any success?

My theory is that it might be something to do with using Mod Organiser instead of NMM. It looks like MO keeps the mod files separate away from the fallout 4 folder, whereas NMM puts them in there. Because there are two separate hudswfs it gets confused?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Never had any problems.

Install HUD framework
Install DEF_UI
Install DEF_UI compatibility Patch from HUDframework page

I'm not using Mod Organizer. The problem you may be having is trying to use the patcher through MO. Using the prepatched hud.swf download mentioned above (last) should fix it. If you need to be using the auto-patcher for something else, then you're gonna have to figure out how to get it to play nice with MO.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 3, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kiggles posted:

Never had any problems.

Install HUD framework
Install DEF_UI
Install DEF_UI compatibility Patch from HUDframework page

I'm not using Mod Organizer. The problem you may be having is trying to use the patcher through MO. Using the prepatched hud.swf download mentioned above (last) should fix it. If you need to be using the auto-patcher for something else, then you're gonna have to figure out how to get it to play nice with MO.

No I was installing it manually :(

I think my whole setup is messed up as if I try and uninstall DEF_UI I get a big notice on my screen telling me to setup a hudswf.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Is there some kinda mod that'll let me build certain things in settlements with clipping off on that object? For example I really hate how fences work and I know there's a mod to make them snappable but I don't want everything at a 90° angle, I'd like to make a perimeter fence that just slowly circles around stuff. This has to be possible, right?? I swear I saw a mod that did this but I think it got taken down for some reason? Please help, my autism is running wild.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Place Everywhere
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424/

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ah, thank you, I'll have to install F4SE, wish me luck!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Ah, thank you, I'll have to install F4SE, wish me luck!

F2 toggles surface snapping in the above mentioned mod

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I think I'm going to keep my Horizon at 1.0.7 for the time being. Adding custom weapons and clothing in a balance mod seems like a cardinal sin or something, should be kept separate and at the discretion of the user. Maybe I'll spend a day in the future editing them all out or something when it seems the next patch will be a way off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Horizon doesn't have custom weapons and clothing though it does change weapon mods and balance generally.

E: I mean apart from the new super mutant melee weapons I guess but they're mostly thematic.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
From the patch notes:

quote:

(NEW) Micro Sledge
- Based off the Micro Sledge from Fallout Tactics
- It is designed to give more variety to small concealed weapons for factions like the BOS
- It has mods similar to the Baton (including a re-sized stunpack that fits on the weapon properly)
- It uses the Baton animations when you take the weapon out and put it away
- VISUAL BUG: When the micro sledge drops on the ground, it breaks into pieces, but that's just a mesh problem, it doesn't really effect the item

(NEW) Thermic Lance
- Based off the Thermic Lance from New Vegas
- Unfortinately, it doesn't operate how you think it would, it just swings like a melee weapon (I may change this later)
- This is designed to give more cosmetic variety to melee Synths and other factions, and not really supposed to be a player-used weapon

(NEW) Institute Thermic Lance
- A "clean" looking institute version of the Thermic Lance (designed for internal institute use)
- This is designed for melee Synths inside the institute

(NEW) Electro-Blade
- This is a hybrid of the Electro-Suppressor (Shock Baton) and a bladed weapon
- By default this weapon has both physical and energy damage
- It currently cannot be modded (yet)

(NEW) Aluminum Bat
- Aluminum baseball bats are now a separate weapon from wooden baseball bats
- Both bats have their own attachments, and unfortunately can't share misc loose mods*
- This bat is designed to be used for the ZX-1 Lab
- It can drop randomly from enemies who might carry baseball bats
- 1 bat is sold in DC on the vendor
- (This bat type may be expanded to swap to other metal types in the future)
*I tried to make them interchangeable, but the game doesn't like it

(NEW) Clothing Variations
>> These are new clothing variants that are re-colored textures of existing clothing styles
>> I want more variety in clothing, and to specifically fit better with factions like Raiders
- All of these outfits are new items, so the original outfits still exist the same as they were
- New Headgear: Slicker Hat, Black Bandana, Faded Bandana, Blue Newsboy Cap
- New Clothes: Wastelander Clothes, Padded Jacket, Shoreman Outfit, Survivalist Outfit
- New Clothes: Black T-Shirt and Jeans, Red Jacket and Jeans
- New Clothes: Blue T-Shirt and Jeans, Black Jacket and Jeans
- Some NPCs will wear/drop these armors
(more are planned)

No screens yet, but looks like it'll be new vegas models? And isn't the electro blade redundant with the stun mods for the various swords?

Edit: I think they should keep their gameplay rebalance and the faction diversifying mods seperate. Even in 1.0.7, first time I saw a Nightkin I thought 'I have no problem with how this enemy works, but it just feels half-arsed'.

Edit2:

quote:

Misc
- The Power Armor frame in Concord only comes with 1 badly damaged left arm and right leg

Cherry indeed.

Erd fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 4, 2017

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Was Weapon Balance Overhaul ever updated to include the Nukaworld and Far Harbor weapons?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

boneration posted:

Was Weapon Balance Overhaul ever updated to include the Nukaworld and Far Harbor weapons?

no because the thought of actually playing fallout literally makes me want to die.

I can probably halfass something just looking at the data itself in fo4edit but it's not actually going to really be comparable at all.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Erd posted:

From the patch notes:

No screens yet, but looks like it'll be new vegas models? And isn't the electro blade redundant with the stun mods for the various swords?

Edit: I think they should keep their gameplay rebalance and the faction diversifying mods seperate. Even in 1.0.7, first time I saw a Nightkin I thought 'I have no problem with how this enemy works, but it just feels half-arsed'.

Edit2:

Cherry indeed.

It's getting pretty feature creep-y and he's moving away from compatibility with other large, popular mods. Thank god he keeps older versions up on his download page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Yea, I went back to 1.07 too. Dude does a lot of cool stuff, but he's waaaaay up his own rear end about 'balance' and 'finely crafted leveled lists'. Plus, I like my weirdie raiders from the overhaul and marksman carbines are love in the shape of a gun.