Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

If you're resorting to exaggeratingy point, then there's nothing left the say. It's not a matter of purity. It's just bad fan subbing.

But if you want a better example of how bad at this they are, there's the infamous time they tried to convince everyone that "eoten" was a real word.

Look at this guy, doesn't even know what an eoten is. It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean it technically is

anyway i'm not saying commie hasn't made mistakes or made some dumb calls, but their symph subs were generally good minus a few sticking points, and I liked their GoPri subs for the most part. And most official localizations for, uh, everything, do the accent/speech patterns thing to some degree.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sometimes it's good, to give a character a more distinct "voice" in english speech

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMCj3R59S8

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Chris's speech patterns are coarse and rude most of the time.

Should they give her an obnoxious accent too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no but they should have her say gently caress a lot

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Chris's speech patterns are coarse and rude most of the time.

Should they give her an obnoxious accent too?

Absolutely. I am torn between Brooklyn accent and valley girl, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying the only difference between the way she talks and the way Close talks is that Close does it while wearing a stupid outfit.

chumbler posted:

Well at least you're honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, there's also the tone of the shows they're in, their roles and importance to the plot, etc. localization decisions should be informed by things like that too.

edit: also yeah i'd be down for chris to sound like labrys from persona 4 arena

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Precure has no short of characters with verbal gimmicks and exaggerated personalities. If this were a character who actually had something like that in his speech, then yes, I'd agree that you need to apply translation convention. But Close actively doesn't have that going on when there's so many characters already like that in the franchise, then it's a pretty clear indication he's not meant to be that sort of character. If he did, he'd have an obnoxious verbal tic and characters would constantly be making fun of him for it.

But I've made my point, I guess. Back to Symphogear.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

Wrong. South Boston accent. It would be wicked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was about to complain about the awful British English subs they did of the first part of JoJo but now that I think about it that was gg....

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Also those owned

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not if you're actually British and they were talking nonsense

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i just use doremi for my GPP needs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sakurazuka posted:

Not if you're actually British and they were talking nonsense

Ahh they simulated what everyone else in the world hears when British people speak.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

episode 2: will they job ??

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some rando subbed episode 1. no subs for the songs though. it's on si.

edit: they are lovely speedsubs, also. That said they aren't the WORST ever. just kinda bad. if you were around during early/mid-2000s fansubbing you've seen way worse.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 2, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/runawate56/status/881485042744123392

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, yeah, minus a few typos and [kirika being kirika] these subs are fine? Not amazing and some of the terms are weird but they're totally watchable. Unless you really wanna wait for song subs I'd recommend them.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

some rando subbed episode 1. no subs for the songs though. it's on si.

edit: they are lovely speedsubs, also. That said they aren't the WORST ever. just kinda bad. if you were around during early/mid-2000s fansubbing you've seen way worse.

What is SI? I just got back into anime and have only used crunchyroll.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nyaa.si, the torrent site most people up newer stuff to atm

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/eltyyyy/status/881531419566120960

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

What is SI? I just got back into anime and have only used crunchyroll.

nyaa.si. just search symphogear.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Thank you!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked the premiere a lot. Looks like Chris might be getting a bit more focus this time around, which would be nice. The action is definitely as strong as the series has ever been.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

idgi

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The small one is cute

That is the joke

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Cag's VA is interesting.

I should go back and see the other song titles because I only checked the last two in the credits.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

The small one is cute

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe the season just started and Hibiki and Kirika are already cheating on their wives.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

I can't believe the season just started and Hibiki and Kirika are already cheating on their wives.

Hibiki didn't mean anything by it. Kirika, on the other hand, needs to mind her wandering eyes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man the whole episode was packed with good stuff, but the one clear miss was no flashback to the teacher yelling "Tachibana-san!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Five minutes into the episode and I'm already grinning like a complete moron. I had no idea how they'd top the intro to GX, but then I got to see Hibiki punching tank shells out of the air and Chris spitting out a bullet after no selling a barrage of assault rifle fire and I'm like "drat it, they did it again".

Symphogear is good, guys.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Are those banana Noise (spoiler for maybe new Noise designs? I dunno) new or did I just miss them in earlier seasons? Because they were loving hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lobsterman posted:

Are those banana Noise (spoiler for maybe new Noise designs? I dunno) new or did I just miss them in earlier seasons? Because they were loving hilarious.

Pretty sure they're new, because South America.

Also the first half of the episode was like they played the first level of Revengeance and were like "Hold my beer."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lobsterman posted:

I'm pretty sure bananas are the generic, basic Noise design. They're certainly the image I've always associated with them.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
banana no nana mizuki

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There were definitely banana noise in the ovas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I went and learned to make webms because of this episode. Ep 1 spoilers, obviously.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ppcmgx.webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/ebgxdy.webm

:allears:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread