Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I think they chose Beruka as a name because they thought it sounded cool but maybe that's just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Oh hey! Camilla and co. joined up earlier than I thought they would on this route, that's neat. Maybe Beruka will gain some strength and speed on this run, she certainly didn't perform as well as I thought she would on the previous run.

Yeah, it would have to be Camilla or Elise on the Nohr side. Both super support Corrin all the time but Camilla can actually fight and she rides a wyvern so I can see why she'd get out first.

U-DO Burger posted:

I think they chose Beruka as a name because they thought it sounded cool but maybe that's just me

I certainly prefer it to Veruka or Veruca or whatever they brought up earlier.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Endorph posted:

there's tons of random changes like that strewn across fates, often haphazardly. It's just a really bad translation. Say what you will about the changes to, say, Gregor in awakening, at least they're consistent.

Worth noting that the localization for Awakening was done by 8-4, not Treehouse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the name changes in this game are kinda bad. not that name changes really matter but, uh, subaki.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

the name changes in this game are kinda bad. not that name changes really matter but, uh, subaki.

To clarify: He was originally "Tsubaki".
Other changes:
Eng -> Jap
Keaton -> Flannel
Kaden -> Nishiki
Ryoma -> Ryouma
Xander -> Marx
Leo -> Leon
Corrin -> Kamui
Azura -> Aqua
Jakob -> Joker
Kaze -> Suzukaze
Mozu -> Mozume
Shura -> Ashura
Fuga -> Fuuga
Kagero -> Kagerou
Azama -> Asama
Hana -> Kazahana
Reina -> Yuugiri
Rinkah -> Rinka
Hayato -> Tsukuyomi
Scarlet -> Crimson
Laslow -> Lazward
Peri -> Pieri
Selena -> Luna
Effie -> Elfie
Arthur -> Harold
Benny -> Benoit

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Okay that makes sense. The name Subaki seemed weird to me. A lot of those changes are pretty pointless. That said...

Junpei posted:

Ryoma -> Ryouma
Fuga -> Fuuga
Kagero -> Kagerou

You can't actually consider these to be name changes, come on

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Junpei posted:

Ryoma -> Ryouma
Fuga -> Fuuga
Kagero -> Kagerou

Benny -> Benoit

For Ryoma, Fuga, Kagero, they dropped the double vowels so that we would pronounce the names correctly.

For Benny... yeah, I'm glad they changed that.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I like that the Awakening kids' names come from a well-known god of wisdom, a somewhat obscure goddess of the moon, and then 'some hungarian saint, i guess'.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad someone posted the entire list because I was just about to ask what else got changed beyond Subaki because that one's popped up in this thread before.

Junpei posted:

Other changes:
Eng -> Jap
Keaton -> Flannel
Kaden -> Nishiki
Azura -> Aqua
Kaze -> Suzukaze
Mozu -> Mozume
Fuga -> Fuuga
Kagero -> Kagerou
Azama -> Asama
Hana -> Kazahana
Reina -> Yuugiri
Scarlet -> Crimson
Laslow -> Lazward
Peri -> Pieri
Effie -> Elfie

Not a huge fan of these, glad they swapped them around.

Junpei posted:

Other changes:
Eng -> Jap
Xander -> Marx
Leo -> Leon
Corrin -> Kamui
Azura -> Aqua
Shura -> Ashura
Fuga -> Fuuga
Reina -> Yuugiri
Rinkah -> Rinka
Hayato -> Tsukuyomi
Effie -> Elfie
Arthur -> Harold
Benny -> Benoit

Would've been fine with either one for these.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I am so sad they changed Harold to Arthur.

We could have had HAROLD, CHAMPION OF JUSTICE!

I will take the name Keaton over a type of cloth, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Serifina posted:

Worth noting that the localization for Awakening was done by 8-4, not Treehouse.

8-4 and a contractor whose name I really wish I could remember, because he also worked with them on the Nier games. Guy primarily handled supports while 8-4 did the rest of the dialog, but they were in pretty close contact.

At least, if I remember the podcast right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not a big fan of Kamui getting changed to Corrin because Ainu culture is cool and there is a read on Valla that you can make with that comparison in mind that is almost impossible to track without Kamui's name pushing you in that direction.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
All those name changes just remind me this is the American English translation and we hate the letter "u" because the gosh darn Brits kept putting it everywhere. :argh:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

I'm not a big fan of Kamui getting changed to Corrin because Ainu culture is cool and there is a read on Valla that you can make with that comparison in mind that is almost impossible to track without Kamui's name pushing you in that direction.

It's also much worse as a gender neutral name than Robin and Morgan.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Endorph posted:

Although the change does mean they didn't have to rename the Valentia character, so points for inadvertently avoiding that? (But on the other hand, Leo/Leon, so...)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LEGO Genetics posted:

All those name changes just remind me this is the American English translation and we hate the letter "u" because the gosh darn Brits kept putting it everywhere. :argh:

Some of those are just standard Japanese to English transliteration, nothing to do with American v British. Ryouma is to Ryoma as Toukyou is to Tokyo -- an extremely literal but unnecessary translation compared to a standardisation based on English orthography and pronunciation. Of course there are other standards -- in older writing you might see Tokyo written as Tōkyō to represent the longer "o" sound.

I always think seeing name changes is interesting. Like, Cordelia was Tiamo in Japanese, which is the most amazing name for someone whose character is based in unrequited love. Also I wish they had kept Xander as Marx, that would've been hilarious.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe they wanted to avoid nohr sounding too much german.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

They should have kept Marx and changed Garon to Stalin

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, just realized I forgot a few child characters. I won't spoil any we haven't seen, but...

Eng -> Jap
Kana -> Kanna
Forrest -> Foleo
Asugi -> (This one's kind of confusing. My sources say it should probably be Gurei, but that romanizes out to Grey. Gurei is also an anagram of Gaius's original Japanese name, Guire.)
Midori -> Midoriko
Kiragi -> Kisaragi (Fun fact: When I saw that name, the first character who came to mind was Jin Kisaragi from Blazblue who is... not like Kiragi in any way, shape or form.)
Percy -> Lutz

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Junpei posted:

Asugi -> (This one's kind of confusing. My sources say it should probably be Gurei, but that romanizes out to Grey. Gurei is also an anagram of Gaius's original Japanese name, Guire.)

All of the other children who are based on Awakening characters had anagrams for their names in the Japanese version, so yes, Gurei is accurate. Keeping that convention for the English game is why Asugi has such a bad name, and the other ones are far worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why didnt they name him usagi

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

A question that I also ask. You have a perfect rearrangement of Gaius' name...and you don't use it. What?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

A question that I also ask. You have a perfect rearrangement of Gaius' name...and you don't use it. What?

He spends too much time running from real fights.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

probably because that's primarily a girl's name (not that boys can't be named Usagi, it's just less common. Like guys being named Bridget.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

He spends too much time running from real fights.
:golfclap:

On the other hand he does have a major sweet tooth...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rangpur posted:

:golfclap:

On the other hand he does have a major sweet tooth...

I'm sure Gaius has solved plenty of problems with ice cream cones.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm sure Gaius has solved plenty of problems with ice cream cones.
Funny you should mention that, because his special Ylissean Summer variant for Heroes wields a candy bow that fires ice pop arrows.

No, really.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Funny you should mention that, because his special Ylissean Summer variant for Heroes wields a candy bow that fires ice pop arrows.

No, really.

Okay, now his gimmick is starting to gain some legs.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

Would YOU want to name a character "rabbit?" I wouldn't (though the Japanese have different ideas of appropriate names than us English-speakers).

At least Asugi sounds vaguely like a name... Unfortunately, not all the children are so lucky.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

except usagi is a name..........and asugi is not?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Extra Tasty posted:

except usagi is a name..........and asugi is not?

Usagi: Technically unisex, primarily for females.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So it's basically Ashley then?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Last Celebration posted:

So it's basically Ashley then?

Or Bridget.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Usagi is mostly a fictional name, mind, but at least it's a name that gets used a decent amount in fiction and has an actual meaning. Asugi means literally nothing and the first google result for it before Fates came out was somebody's knee injury.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Shei-kun posted:

I am so sad they changed Harold to Arthur.

We could have had HAROLD, CHAMPION OF JUSTICE!

I will take the name Keaton over a type of cloth, though.

Beast people were named after types of cloth in Awakening too, in Japanese.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...Y'know, I just realized, but isn't Gaius using candy as a weapon kind of out of character? He'd probably wind up disarming himself by eating it all if he actually attacked with candy.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

...Y'know, I just realized, but isn't Gaius using candy as a weapon kind of out of character? He'd probably wind up disarming himself by eating it all if he actually attacked with candy.

In heroes, Easter eggs can be used like magical tomes, and Xander fights with a giant carrot. Don't think about it too hard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The tag-alongs for today are Camilla and Takumi, two people that are way better than half of this sad crew.

That might not be bad, though. We should be able to use it to our advantage. If we shift it around, we could block the enemy's advance!

The gimmick from Soleil's map is here. It's not nearly as useful here, though as you'll see.

First thing first, this is really annoying on these walls preventing fliers from roaming around. It's not it applies anywhere else on the map. Apparently these specific town walls are very, very high.

So the map is kinda aggressive, kinda passive. There are a set number of enemies that will advance no matter. Then you have the usual ones that move once an enemy is in range, and then there's enemies that wont' move no matter what.

Most notably, Scarlet/Xander/Ryoma won't move at all so the biggest threats won't bother you for most of the game.

There are some occasional threats like promoted Swordmasters, but they usually come by themselves.

I'm moving the team to the left because Xander's side is much easier than Ryoma. Mostly because there's no ninja debuffs.

Level update

Orochi 10-HP/MAG/SKL

Hinata 14-HP/STR/SKL/SPD/LCK

Takumi 12-SPD

Beruka 10-MAG/LCK

Subaki 16-HP/STR/SKL/SPD

Everyone that matters got good levels, except Beruka. I didn't even know she could gain magic. Missed on that 60+ growth on skill and defense, unfortunately.

I'm Peri, and I love a good fight to the death! Your death, specifically! Lord Xander will heap praise on me for doing you in.

I think she's going to be my only Cavalier outside of shenanigans.

I miss Keaton so much. Just an absolute rare tank that can take both physical and magical hits well.

However, as Lord Xander's retainer, I must remove anyone in his path.
Hey, why are you staring? Stop it! It's embarrassing me...

Now Kaden? I don't miss him nearly as much. He's like Hana but worse somehow just because his skills are gimmicky and you can't fix his range problem with a Kodachi.

Beyond Laslow and Peri are some Paladins and Xander hanging around. If there's one job Kaden can do reliably, it's dealing big damage to Cavaliers.

Kaden 15-HP/SPD/LCK/RES

Because I have regarded you as my beloved sister all these years... I'll give you one more chance. Are you certain you won't side with Nohr?
I am. I cannot change course now. But, Xander...you could join me. I swear to you that I want the best for all of us! Ever since I learned the truth I've known that I've needed you with me.
Nonsense. If you have truly turned against Nohr, I can no longer consider you my sister.
Forget any feelings you might have. We now stand as enemies opposite each other on the battlefield.
Xander... Why won't you listen?

One thing's consistent with Xander: He is a Nohrian Zealot to the very end, even at the expense of killing little sisters.

Xander is slow, but he's still tanky as hell and strong enough to kill most anyone that's not a tank themselves or promoted.

I finally pull off the Saizo trick that I usually use way back in Birthright's version of this city, knocking Xander's health down a lot.

Ha... Camilla... Iago told me you had failed your mission. I never thought you'd turn traitor, too. Are you still a proud Nohrian royal? Or are you just like Corrine?
No, you've got it all wrong. She hasn't betrayed us.
She's the same gentle Corrine she's always been! Why won't you trust her?
Trust her ? Don't be fool. I won't listen to any more of your lies.
You've chosen your side—opposite me. Prepare yourself, Camilla.
Xander, think about what you're doing! Is this really how you want things?

Like I said. Zealot. He would kill everyone in Nohr if he has to for preserving the honor and history of Nohr if it comes down to it.

However, this isn't the end for the Nohrian army. Not even close...

Hayato got +STR/SPD/DEF for tagging along, but the strength is kinda random. Also he's missing that 55% magic a lot.

Going forward, the actual platform with the boss objective is pretty non-threatening outside of this General with a Spear.

Triggering the enemy aggro here activates reinforcements from both sides of the map. Not really dangerous, unless you split up your forces or went all-in on flying straight to the middle platform.

The Dragon Vein here will drain the water so ground units can traverse through without worry. Bad idea if you care about safety, since these rivers are making the enemy reinforcements much more manageable to deal with.

Going through the middle forces and leaving the boss, engaging in Hoshidan forces triggers more reinforcements. Again, they appear so far way that they're not a sudden threat.

After many reinforcements and awkward long range battles, it's time to face Ryoma and Scarlet.

Level update
Orochi 12-MAGx2/SKLx2/SPD/LCK/RES+2

Reina 3-STR/SPD

Jakob 18-SPD/LCK/RES

Saizo 14-STR/SKL/SPD/LCK/RES

Takumi 13-STR/SPD/RES

Kaden 16-LCK/RES

Corrine 15-HP/LCK/DEF

You know things are bad when Orochi has arguably the best levels. My Corrine's been really dropping the ball, a regression from how absurdly powerful Conquest Corrine was.

Oh well, time to get to it! I think blood red would look great on you.

You're tougher than the usual misfits I've fought...

Scarlet is still insanely statted as before, but Reina is pretty much the perfect counter to safely take her out.

Reina also gets an great level in STR/SKL/SPD/LCK. That 20 strength will carry far as Kinshi Knight is just a great class in general.

Okay. Let's talk about Ryoma, the most powerful unit in all of Fates.

gently caress this dude. When Possessed Takumi gives me less trouble, you are too overpowered for your own good. With basically base stats and his default class skills.

So the main problem is that his speed+strength means that he doubles anyone, and one-shots those that he doesn't. And he gets +30 avoid when attacking, so counter-attacking attrition is also not reliable.

Meeting on the battlefield—you weren't expecting a warm welcome, were you?
I won't hold back, regardless of who I am facing!

Jakob is literally the only one in my party that has the combination of bulk, speed, and accuracy to hit Ryoma without horribly dying.

Also, if you somehow managed to hit Ryoma, he still has Vantage.

Do you really believe that there is another force at play here...?

Jakob better get MVP for this. He did get SKL/SPD/RES for level 19.

Corrine vs. Ryoma

Corrine. Here we are again, and still you are my enemy.
Ryoma... It's true that I still haven't chosen a side. But that's because I believe we can work together for a different cause. We don't have to fight one another!
Don't be foolish. You're asking me to abandon Hoshido. I cannot do that. I would never... I couldn't face Queen Mikoto if I did!
...Ah!
Return to Hoshido, Corrine! I'll bring you back by force if I have to!
Please, Ryoma! Stop! This can't be what Mother would want!

Kagero vs. Ryoma

Kagero.
Lord Ryoma, I'm so glad to see you're alive!
Indeed I am. And it appears you were able to tell everyone where I was going.
I don't recall asking for you to bring an enemy army with you, though.
Lady Corrine is not leading an army of enemies, milord. She can't go into detail yet, but... I feel that she knows something.
It doesn't matter, Kagero. Anyone who doesn't side with Hoshido is the enemy. What will you be?
I...will defeat the real enemy and seek out the truth.
I see...
If you're so convinced you're right, then ready your weapon!
Prove your resolve to this new path and cross swords with your liege!

Saizo vs. Ryoma

Lord Ryoma...
You would point your blade at me, Saizo? Have you truly joined Corrine and betrayed your liege?
No. My loyalty lies with you and you alone. However I feel that you are blinded to the real enemy among us... I do not think I am betraying you now. My actions will show you...
Hmph... So even you have had your heart swayed by Corrine.
That may be the case. In time, yours will, too. I must get past you though. The fate of this town requires it. Please, find it your heart to forgive me for what I must do...

As for the actual boss on the map, not very threatening. He can't even remotely one-shot Hayato.

Boo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I always just used Kaden as a Peg Knight-like role. He's got the speed, skill and resistance of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Obviously the city walls will be discovered centuries later by Black Hole, and have their materials broken down and replicated to build their pipe systems.

Also, weird how Ryoma has nothing to say if Takumi attacks him.

• Locked thread