Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Depends on the car. Some of them can get pretty expensive. Sensors for automatic lights and wipers are usually glued to the glass and have to be replaced along with the glass.

The glass on my FIAT 124 is extra thick because they wanted more sound deadening than in the Miata. On another forum someone said they took a stone and it cost upwards of $1000 to replace it. Hence glass insurance is worth it. It's disproportionately expensive to replace and easy to break.

That's true but that isn't the case for his car. You can see that by the fact that it's only $317. Like I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'll probably end up replacing mine due to pitting, haven't gotten an estimate yet. Is it a dumb waste of money? Anyone else replace purely due to pitting and not cracks?

I wonder what it's like to be wealthy and not have to worry about the decision to keep everything in perfect shape.

Talked to Geico and glass waivers are available based on state, not available in IL. It's purely comprehensive coverage. So there's one fraudulent thing you could do which is switch ded. to 0, then report the damage. Wouldn't work for me since I already talked about the damage on the phone with Geico. If I've thought of that, I'm sure people do it all the time and drive rates up :v:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 30, 2017

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Michael Scott posted:

I'll probably end up replacing mine due to pitting, haven't gotten an estimate yet. Is it a dumb waste of money? Anyone else replace purely due to pitting and not cracks?

At some point the pitting becomes dangerous, and glare from oncoming traffic could make it hard to see at night.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

I wonder what it's like to be wealthy and not have to worry about the decision to keep everything in perfect shape.

Having a clear windshield is a godsend in driving. If the pitting is distracting, get it fixed. You'll thank yourself afterward.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Part exchanged my old Golf for a 2017 model. Is it necessary to "break in" the engine? Salesman at the dealership said I can just drive it normally, but he seemed like a bit of a dumbass who'd say anything just to get me the gently caress out, as he clearly wanted to move onto people who he could make money off of.

I've noticed everything feels very floaty, and the engine will judder far more than I'm used to when I put it into 2nd gear from 1st gear. My old Golf, I'd go from 1st to 2nd and it'd be smooth, but the new one sorta judders, even if I change at the right RPM. I've toted that down to the engine being new and just needing to be broken in, but I've got no idea if that's a requirement for modern cars what with all the advances we've made in machining tolerances. It's the same for 2nd to 3rd, the RPM needle will judder far more than I'm used to and make the driving experience a bit shaky. I'm sorta self conscious about picking passengers up cause it's made my driving seem rather poo poo, even though I'm driving the same way I've always driven. I've also noticed I'm getting rather ludicrous MPG readouts. Before, driving around the city on the dual carriageway at 40mph, I'd get about 47-53mpg. The new car, it prompts me to go to 4th gear and the mpg jumps up to about 100, which I find hard to believe.

So yeah, engine / break / tyre break in period for a 2017 model. Fact or fiction? And if there is, how many miles do I need to break it in for? I had a look through the Golf manual but couldn't find anything pertaining to a break-in period. I really wanna drive up to Scotland and crash in some hostels for a week or two, but that's a long distance at a solid speed so I don't wanna cause unnecessary problems.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I don't know what better way to break in an engine than to drive it for long distances at a single speed. I don't think you'd need to worry about "breaking it in" to be honest, maybe read some reviews for the 2017 golf and see if everyone is having that experience or if you need to exchange it asap.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Breakfast Feud posted:

I don't know what better way to break in an engine than to drive it for long distances at a single speed. I don't think you'd need to worry about "breaking it in" to be honest, maybe read some reviews for the 2017 golf and see if everyone is having that experience or if you need to exchange it asap.

It's frustrating, cause all the research I've done just dredges up posts from back in 2014 and earlier, and people are of the mindset that it's worth breaking in a car properly. I'm stuck with this car for the next 3 or 4 years, so I'd like to treat it well now, to ensure it treats me well down the line. That being said, I've heard driving long distances at set RPM (with little variance) is actually super bad, because it doesn't give a dynamic enough range to properly break in the car. Whereas varying engine RPM is the best method to break in a car.

That being said, ain't no way I'm doing a 5 hour drive to Scotland constantly changing my engine RPM, I'd be braindead by the time I arrived.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 1, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Q8ee posted:

It's frustrating, cause all the research I've done just dredges up posts from back in 2014 and earlier, and people are of the mindset that it's worth breaking in a car properly. I'm stuck with this car for the next 3 or 4 years, so I'd like to treat it well now, to ensure it treats me well down the line. That being said, I've heard driving long distances at set RPM (with little variance) is actually super bad, because it doesn't give a dynamic enough range to properly break in the car. Whereas varying engine RPM is the best method to break in a car.

That being said, ain't no way I'm doing a 5 hour drive to Scotland constantly changing my engine RPM, I'd be braindead by the time I arrived.

Did you read your manual? It will have a section on engine break-in. Follow it.

VVVVVV PTTTHHHHHHHPPP

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Did you read the manual? Every owner's manual I've ever had addresses that question.

E: ^You bastard!

Breakfast Feud posted:

I don't know what better way to break in an engine than to drive it for long distances at a single speed.

This is like the one thing you're not supposed to do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Q8ee, what happens if you shift at higher RPMs? If it doesn't lug the engine as bad, just shift higher. The upshift light on my car wants me to shift by 2000 RPM (on a gasoline 4 cylinder), sometimes as low as 1500 RPM, and it's very obvious that the car is not happy about it when I follow the advice of the upshift indicator. The MPG also drops significantly when I follow its advice.

Break in is generally finished within 500 miles on newer stuff. Really, just driving it around town for a couple of weeks should get it broken in.

The 100 mpg sounds like you have it showing instant MPG instead of average MPG - most car computers will max out at 99.9 MPG if you're coasting. Ignore instant MPG and switch to average. If it's showing that on average, just give it time - it needs to be driven a bit before it can figure out actual MPG.

Breakfast Feud posted:

I don't know what better way to break in an engine than to drive it for long distances at a single speed.

That's exactly the worst way to break in an engine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 1, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I tried finding the section in the manual, scoured through it and had no luck. I'll try and hunt it down again, but I read it back to front and found nada. I read the manual back to front when I first got it cause I wanted to figure out all the new poo poo that came in the car.

I typically shift just under 3000RPM, and that brings me in just above 2000RPM and has always worked well for me in my old car. The new car doesn't seem to like it that much, but even revving higher and changing gears at 3,500RPM causes the juttering. I dunno why.

I do have it showing instant MPG instead of average. Like I said, the old car seemed accurate and would show me doing 50mpg which is somewhat believable. The new car shows 100mpg when I'm not coasting. I'll have the accelerator pressed down to maintain 40mph and it stays solidly at 100mpg. Maybe I'm just overthinking it but it just seems weird. The juttering and floatiness also feels off, but I've never had a brand new car before so I don't know whether that's normal or not.

Update: I forgot to mention, shifting up in gear makes the RPM needle spaz out a little bit. My old Golf was a gem, she'd have a steady RPM needle when I shifted up a gear. The new one, I'll shift up a gear, and the needle will rise a bit and then quickly drop (maybe by a unit of 100) and then rise back up, causing the juddering.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 1, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Most cars don't have any specific break-in instructions. They're good to go from the start.

What I have seen reported, and noticed myself, was a distinct pick-up in performance at 1000 miles, as though the ECU was running its own programmed break-in period. I've not seen any confirmation that it's actually in the software, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Deteriorata posted:

Most cars don't have any specific break-in instructions. They're good to go from the start.

This is incorrect, sorry bud. Look in any owner's manual. What is true is that a majority of buyers will probably not follow the steps, so there is built-in tolerance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

This is incorrect, sorry bud. Look in any owner's manual. What is true is that a majority of buyers will probably not follow the steps, so there is built-in tolerance.

Nearly every owner's manual says "there are no special break-in procedures" or something to that effect.

This is what it says in my 124's manual:

Most of that applies to any age of engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My Ion's manual has this:

I'm guessing the PO of my car didn't do anything stupid when it was new - almost 200k and it uses about 1.5 quarts of oil between 9k oil changes (or 5 quarts if I use Supertech...)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for all the help guys. Those two images you guys above posted helped. Will definitely try and find my manual instructions. Downshifting to brake or slow the car is such a hard habit to break, but I'll try to refrain from doing that from now on as well.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Honestly though on a trip you're bound to start/stop, go through turns and you'll see some variation of RPM. Yeah you shouldn't put cruise control on and leave it in a straight line but I'm guessing the trip to Scotland has like, curves and dips and stops that'll keep the drive dynamic enough to be a good break in, not like driving straight across the prairies.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Breakfast Feud posted:

Honestly though on a trip you're bound to start/stop, go through turns and you'll see some variation of RPM. Yeah you shouldn't put cruise control on and leave it in a straight line but I'm guessing the trip to Scotland has like, curves and dips and stops that'll keep the drive dynamic enough to be a good break in, not like driving straight across the prairies.

Something else I've done is alternate periodically between the top two gears. That changes the engine's RPMs regularly, at least.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Breakfast Feud posted:

I think you might just be right about that. I'm itching to get out and a drive on the winding roads would be great I reckon. No cruise control. Stop off at a few villages on the way.

Deteriorata posted:

Something else I've done is alternate periodically between the top two gears. That changes the engine's RPMs regularly, at least.

I was originally gonna alternate between 60mph and 70mph but changing between 4th and 5th gear seems way easier.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My grandma had new window motors + regulators put in her shitbox of a Plymouth van and a month later the slide on the driver's side keeps going off the top of the track when you roll the window up. After a couple days the window drops just enough to whistle and when you try to roll it up that's the end of it. What can be done to stop this?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

My grandma had new window motors + regulators put in her shitbox of a Plymouth van and a month later the slide on the driver's side keeps going off the top of the track when you roll the window up. After a couple days the window drops just enough to whistle and when you try to roll it up that's the end of it. What can be done to stop this?

Take it back to the place that did the work and have them do it right.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

I think you might just be right about that. I'm itching to get out and a drive on the winding roads would be great I reckon. No cruise control. Stop off at a few villages on the way.

I was originally gonna alternate between 60mph and 70mph but changing between 4th and 5th gear seems way easier.

I'm all for this idea. It's a new car, go drive it. You're going to run into traffic and if you have fun through turns you'll be working the engine through its paces. Put in a few stops and slow spots and I think it'll be a good break in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Q8ee posted:

Thanks for all the help guys. Those two images you guys above posted helped. Will definitely try and find my manual instructions. Downshifting to brake or slow the car is such a hard habit to break, but I'll try to refrain from doing that from now on as well.

IMO, you shouldn't be downshifting to slow down or brake in general. It puts more wear on your clutch, and clutches cost a lot more to replace than brakes.

That goes out the window if you're going downhill though - absolutely downshift to maintain speed when you're going down a hill, if the alternative is having to use the brakes constantly. Overheated brakes are bad.

Q8ee posted:

I would think winding roads would require a bit of speeding up/slowing down anyway, right? Sounds like a good way to break it in!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

IMO, you shouldn't be downshifting to slow down or brake in general. It puts more wear on your clutch, and clutches cost a lot more to replace than brakes.

Is this true? It's just a regular shift isn't it? https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/1210/does-downshifting-engine-braking-cause-extra-wear-and-tear

I don't know how to drive manual but I downshift in my shiftable automatic to slow down on exit ramps etc without hitting the brakes too much. That bad?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 1, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

Is this true? It's just a regular shift isn't it? https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/1210/does-downshifting-engine-braking-cause-extra-wear-and-tear

I don't know how to drive manual but I downshift in my shiftable automatic to slow down on exit ramps etc without hitting the brakes too much. That bad?

I read that as well and took what the poster in this thread said with a pinch of salt. I'm still gonna downshift to use the engine to help slow down, but probably not as much as I've been doing. My dad showed me the technique in America when we were going down some bigass mountains (since it stops the brakes from overheating) and it has stuck with me ever since, so I'm always using the engine to slow down if I can, as opposed to the brakes.

Wish me luck, going to the dealership today to try and nab my mats that they were meant to throw in for free, but they forgot about. They're telling me it's not on the order form, despite the fact I know it was discussed in person and was going to be thrown in "for free" as a gesture of good will, since I had offers from other dealerships at the time. If they start pulling the "it's not on the order form, we can't" nonsense, I'ma have to tear some people a new rear end in a top hat. Seriously bad form.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Michael Scott posted:

Automatic transmissions are constructed differently and don’t have clutches as such.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On a long overpass, yes. But around the city? gently caress no. Brakes are cheaper than engine parts.

"That poster" holy lol

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Michael Scott posted:

May or may not be explicitly "bad" depending on your trans, but it's outside of normal operating procedure and is not what an automatic is designed to do. But a new set of brake pads costs tens of dollars. Replacing a prematurely worn transmission is thousands. With the exception of safety concerns for overheating brakes on mountains, let your brakes be your brakes. Your transmission is programmed to do what it needs to do while you're slowing normally.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No, it's absolutely fine as long as you make some effort to do it smoothly and rev match.

I wouldn't bother on an auto, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

No, it's absolutely fine as long as you make some effort to do it smoothly and rev match.

I would think any clutch wear would come from the bit of slip during engagement and disengagement. If there's any wear going on while it's in gear, your clutch is already shot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd rather change my brakes five times than the clutch once.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

I'd rather change my brakes five times than the clutch once.

Even drum brakes.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Why wouldn't you bother though? It's fun coming nearly to a stop, going through the gears from 7 or 8 to 1 coming off an exit ramp.

Maybe I'll stop and just use the brakes, I don't want to do them myself and a 4-way brake job on this car is like $1,500 lol. I don't have a close garage, ramps, tools, expertise, or knowledgable friends. Should get some of those.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 1, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Because I can't be arsed with trying to get an auto to behave like a manual most of the time.

VVVV: Basically this.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 1, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If you like downshifting buy a manual. Then downshift properly and don't worry about clutches imo

blk
Dec 19, 2009

09 Subaru Outback with the EZ30. I'm not sure really where to start with this. My wife has been having the 1-3-5 bank misfire on her about once a month this year. Recently, it started happening every two weeks. Most recently, it had both banks misfire. The car only has a little more than 50k miles on it. These are the only codes, all the sensors pass the test except the evap monitor, which erred for some reason (see below).

Soon after we bought this car for her last year we put in a new battery. Someone on the Outback forums said that they once had a battery with a bad cell cause misfires like this for them, so I might try swapping that out, but it seems highly unlikely. I'm otherwise concerned that it could be cats, head gasket, knock sensor, timing issues, valve issues, carbon buildup, electrical and/or grounding issues, etc. There are so many possibilities that I just don't know where to begin. A can of Seafoam and a new battery feel like barking up the wrong tree.

PS: I've been clearing the codes after pulling them from the car. Am I correct that if the car was continually misfiring, it'd generate new codes right away? Or is there some period of time after clearing the codes where new ones don't register right away?

code:
Vehicle Manufacturer: Subaru
Vehicle Calibration ID: D2T

Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$81
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 3.79993V   Min: 1.79999V
Test result value: 2.80271V
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$82
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 4.99609mA   Min: -4.99609mA
Test result value: 0mA
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$83
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 500Ohm   Min: 0Ohm
Test result value: 31Ohm
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$84
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 1.99882lambda   Min: 0.85lambda
Test result value: 1.0287lambda
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$85
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 1.15lambda   Min: 0lambda
Test result value: 0.97984lambda
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$86
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 0.19922Ratio   Min: 0Ratio
Test result value: 0.05469Ratio
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$05
Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 480ms   Min: 0ms
Test result value: 384ms
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$06
Lean to Rich sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 2,016ms   Min: 0ms
Test result value: 128ms
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 0.15V   Min: 0V
Test result value: 0.127V
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 65.535V   Min: 0.55V
Test result value: 0.605V
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$87
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 65.535V   Min: 0.03V
Test result value: 0.112V
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$88
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 1.2V   Min: 0V
Test result value: 0.112V
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$81
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Max: 3.79993V   Min: 1.79999V
Test result value: 2.79783V
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$82
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Max: 4.99609mA   Min: -4.99609mA
Test result value: 0mA
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$83
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Max: 500Ohm   Min: 0Ohm
Test result value: 30Ohm
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$84
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Max: 1.99882lambda   Min: 0.85lambda
Test result value: 0.99241lambda
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$85
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Max: 1.15lambda   Min: 0lambda
Test result value: 0.98067lambda
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$86
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Max: 0.19922Ratio   Min: 0Ratio
Test result value: 0.0625Ratio
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$05
Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 480ms   Min: 0ms
Test result value: 448ms
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$06
Lean to Rich sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 2,016ms   Min: 0ms
Test result value: 192ms
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 0.15V   Min: 0V
Test result value: 0.142V
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 65.535V   Min: 0.55V
Test result value: 0.576V
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$87
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 65.535V   Min: 0.03V
Test result value: 0.264V
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$88
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 1.2V   Min: 0V
Test result value: 0.264V
PASS
----
MID:$21 TID:$89
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 1
Max: 24.99968Ratio   Min: 0Ratio
Test result value: 13.13655Ratio
PASS
----
MID:$31 TID:$8a
- EGR Monitor Bank 1
Max: 32.767kPa   Min: 1.572kPa
Test result value: 23.96kPa
PASS
----
MID:$39 TID:$93
- 
Max: -1,399.75Pa   Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: -1,407.75Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3b TID:$94
- EVAP Monitor (0.090")
Max: -1,299.75Pa   Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: -1,674Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3b TID:$95
- EVAP Monitor (0.090")
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--
MID:$3c TID:$96
- EVAP Monitor (0.040")
--
MID:$3c TID:$97
- EVAP Monitor (0.040")
--
MID:$3d TID:$98
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
Max: 599.75Pa   Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: 52.5Pa
PASS
----
MID:$41 TID:$99
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 1
Max: 250Count   Min: 0Count
Test result value: 0Count
PASS
----
MID:$41 TID:$9a
PASS
----
MID:$41 TID:$9b
Max: 50Ohm   Min: 0Ohm
PASS
----
MID:$42 TID:$9c
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 2
Max: 320Count   Min: 0Count
PASS
----
MID:$42 TID:$9d
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$45 TID:$99
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 1
PASS
----
MID:$45 TID:$9a
PASS
----
MID:$45 TID:$9b
Max: 50Ohm   Min: 0Ohm
PASS
----
MID:$46 TID:$9c
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$46 TID:$9d
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$a1 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Monitor General Data
Max: 65,535Count   Min: 0Count
Test result value: 7Count
PASS
----
MID:$a1 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Monitor General Data
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
Test result value: 2Count
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
Test result value: 1Count
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
Test result value: 2Count
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----

blk fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 1, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there anything about the EP3 Civic Si that makes it not a good DD for <$3k?
Seems like no one wants them due to the suspension design, looks, and K20A3.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Wait.. it's actually running? As in the engine is happily idling away and still responds to the throttle? Or is it something like the radiator fan staying on for a couple of minutes?

If it's actually running, is the tach staying on and showing RPMs? If so, your ignition switch may be hosed. If it's running, but not showing anything, uh... zombies?

If it's just the radiator fan staying on, your engine is way the gently caress too hot (former 99 Altima owner here, I know from my own experience that the fan won't keep running after you shut it off unless it's really loving hot). If that's the case, thermostat would be my first guess. The dash gauge really isn't something you can trust much on them; the sensor for the gauge is in the upper radiator hose neck (it's that single wire you see that connects to the upper hose neck), and nothing flows through that hose if the thermostat is stuck or if the water pump takes a poo poo (there's another sensor in the head that the engine computer uses to determine when the fan should run). Even down here in hot as gently caress TX, the only time the fan ever kept running on mine was when the engine was overheating.

poo poo I thought I had saved this thread.

It sounds like a fan issue, poo poo. Also today the AC went from nice and cold to hot, then after about 5 minutes, back to cold.

I have an appt at PepBoys tomorrow. How bad am I looking price-wise? No one else around me is open Sunday and today's book everywhere.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Hey goons! I'm going to South Korea for a couple weeks in October, any cool car stuff I can see/do with my father in law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

monsterzero posted:

Do springs really go bad? Maybe they do if you head-butt them. I get doing a quick strut (because quick) but I don't think I've ever known anyone to replace spring unless they were lowering or sportifying the car.

Yeah, they can, plus my car sags a bit on the driver side. I don't necessarily have the stereotypical mountain dew drinking goon physique, but I could probably stand to lose about 25 pounds or so. Also, I kinda flop in to the car. A few years of doing that and well...... The driver side is a bit saggier than the passenger side.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It's usually quicker to swap the complete assembly. If you're paying a shop to do it, it often winds up being cheaper overall to swap each corner as an assembly. If you're doing it yourself, it's still easier to just swap the entire assembly. Safer too.

And with a lot of miles, springs will absolutely sag. My 95 Civic had camber issues because the original springs were sagging so bad, but I paid $200 for it with nearly 200k, so I didn't really give two shits so long as the toe could be set. My 06 Saturn definitely has worn springs as well; 175k on it, and the back end is sitting a lot lower than it used to.

I'd totally go for the quick struts, but I don't like the idea of getting the cheap assed quick struts that are available for it. I don't care about m4d s1ck handling and slamming that poo poo, I'm getting to be an old dude and stock ride height/quality would be perfectly acceptable for me. I can't seem to find the quick struts for all four corners, that come from a somewhat reputable brand.
My current outlook is that I'm going to have this car for a few more years. I'd like to buy something that'll be good for at least that. If I was going to sell it next week, I'd go with the cheap stuff.