Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Does anyone cap modifiers?

In my current campaign there's a PC who has 18 in both Strength and Dexterity, and was Blessed during a long combat, so he was rolling at +4 for all his STR and DEX moves. That means he has a 72% chance of rolling 10+, and it just got dull.

I've considered capping modifiers to +3, but I feel lovely saying "You gain absolutely no benefit from Blessing." Any ideas for a good non-modifier perk I can give in exchange for capping rolls to +3?
Something like "If you would roll at greater than +3, instead roll at +3 and gain [XYZ]".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think the problem is specifically Blessing. I don't see anything wrong with people rolling +4, sometimes. But Blessing's duration, which makes sense for D&D, combined with its effect, which makes sense for Dungeon World, ends up being way too powerful.

So I probably wouldn't apply a blanket change to +4, but specifically to Blessing when it's applied to a +3?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Bless is a bit much with that duration. I'd say that if it pushes you to +4 then it only lasts for one or two rolls or something like that, maybe because the overwhelming power is inherently unstable or something.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Imo there's nothing wrong with houseruling that. The maths in PBtA games starts to break down at +4 so there's a reason it's difficult to get in core Apocalypse World (and only lasts for one roll, generally)

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So in my roll20 game I've got a prospective player interested in joining, and he's looking for a wuxia/kung fu style character. Any good sheets that folks know of?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The initiate is it.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Recently I have had a thought about a house rule for Dungeon World that I think might be useful. Specifically it is a way to make hordes of monsters less of a slog. It would work like this: If you deal enough damage to kill something, and there is excess damage left over (so say you rolled 10 damage and slew a mighty kobold of 3 hp and 1 armour, meaning that there was an excess of 6 damage), you can apply the remaining damage to another enemy within your weapon's range(s) (or close enough to the slain critter to be reasonable for if you're killing at range), taking armour off again as normal (so if there is another kobold that's close enough you can slay another one with the leftover 6 damage, leaving a further excess of 2) - if that still leaves you with an excess then repeat until you run out of damage or you run out of things that you can reasonable hit. As noted armour applies each time separately, however I'd probably say that Piercing would apply separately each time as well thus in the above scenario if you did this with a Piercing 1 weapon then you'd be able to slay 3 kobolds and wound 1 - rather than slaying 2 and wounding 1 (this also makes Piercing a little bit more useful).

So what do you think?

Friar John posted:

So in my roll20 game I've got a prospective player interested in joining, and he's looking for a wuxia/kung fu style character. Any good sheets that folks know of?

Asides from the Initiate another interesting example is The Master.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I've always treated Hordes like a single monster. Like a group of 5 goblins with 2 HP each are a 10HP monster. The nature of hack and slash make it so narratively there can always be a counter attack.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The thing is, you can narrate that your hack and slash is attacking multiple targets, if the narrative justifies it. Just means that the 6- result is gonna be harsh. :getin:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
What are some engaging combat scenarios that people running games have thrown out there? I ran my first session as GM last Saturday and quickly realized that combat should have at least a few moving parts or active threats to keep the whole party engaged and make sure everyone has a hand on the ball. You can paint the whole picture if you want or just give me "flooding trap, archers, big guy with a sword" and I can work off of that. :)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
My group was playing with the Inverse World playbooks and was running a Captain and a Collector, so their ability to do damage was pretty limited. As such, they tended to find themselves pretty outmatched in combat, so fighting was something that was generally an impediment to whatever else they were trying to do, usually running away.

At one point they were split, with the Captain fleeing the City Guard over the rooftops and the Collector heading somewhere by the streets. The Captain blew a roll to jump an alley, so he fell to the streets, landing on the Collector, putting them both in the poo poo. The chase ended up back on the rooftops, and while there was some combat, most of the actual rolls were trying to either keep from falling off or pushing someone else off.

Putting the players in a situation where they're outmatched in a straight fight (especially if they're playing something less combat focused) but giving them ways to be successful (like environmental hazards) has worked out in my game. The goal is not to kill all the enemies (which in that particular game was rarely an option, or at least not in the important bits- they hosed up smaller groups of bad guys in the build up); rather it's to get something done despite those enemies being there.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
My players consist of a barbarian, a druid, a ranger and a wizard, so I think they're pretty combat-ready . Interestingly (ominously?), the wizard player is the one most interested in combat encounters.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

In that case, I would try to come up with set pieces that involve more skills than just swinging a blade. An example:

The enemy has something/someone the PCs want and are escaping in carts down a mountain road that switchbacks in zigzags down the mountain. The PCs can give chase on horseback/monsterback (requiring Control rolls, if you have Mounted Combat (by our very own Rulebookheavily), I don't remember if those rules are in the Core Book).

°Use a countdown for each of the enemy carts, requiring Control rolls to advance (which is kind of a rip on Spirit of 77's chase rules, which I've been using a lot lately). If the PCs overcome an obstacle, such as cutting short a switchback, then fill in a box, and when they're all full, you've caught up with an enemy cart

°PCs can jump onto the carts and fight the enemies inside, maybe take over the cart when the enemies are cleared

°Rockslides can threaten PCs, cripple or kill their mounts

°Monsters that lair in the mountain may make their presence known- swarms of carnivorous flyers are always good for throwing a monkey wrench into these things, especially for a Druid who turns into something that can fly

°Depending on the circumstances, maybe the mountain is a volcano, and something that happened leading up to this chase sets it off?

°whatever/whoever they want to catch in the leading cart is susceptible to being damaged, so they can't just nuke it with a fireball or boulder and be done with it

°maybe there's a bridge at the bottom of the mountain, and if the PCs don't catch the lead cart, then the enemy's allies will blow the bridge (somehow) after the cart goes over, stopping the PCs?

This is just some off the top of my head poo poo, but I've found that this kind of thing tends to work with my players. The scuff is secondary to achieving a goal, but important to allow the players to shine and have adventures. It's just the balance of being fans of the PCs and making their lives difficult and interesting.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 29, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

poor life choice posted:

What are some engaging combat scenarios that people running games have thrown out there? I ran my first session as GM last Saturday and quickly realized that combat should have at least a few moving parts or active threats to keep the whole party engaged and make sure everyone has a hand on the ball. You can paint the whole picture if you want or just give me "flooding trap, archers, big guy with a sword" and I can work off of that. :)

I... uh... just... combat? In general? Just keep in mind a couple things.

1) There is no mysterious combat dimension. When you have a combat the other side is probably not expressly lined up to kill you; they have their own goals, which you are interrupting, and they may continue furthering their goals absent mortal peril. You know, killing the hostages, summoning the demons, escaping down the river, that kind of thing. So when there's a fight it's not a special combat time when there's only time for combat, people can take a breather in the fight to try and read what's going on, spout lore about a weakness, sue for peace, all the actions they might "normally" take "outside of combat" because, again, there is no mysterious combat dimension.

2) Threats continue to exist. When somebody succeeds on an attacky move with a 10+ you may be tempted to think of them as being "safe" now, or that whatever they did the move against is "taken care of". Do not do this. (Well, okay, if they dropped something's hit points to 0 it's not a factor.) They are likely not facing any immediate consequences for the thing they just did, and that's fine, but this is combat, and the thing about combat is that it's threatening to anyone at any time. Always keep in mind how your monsters are going to move to threaten people, and whenever you shift the spotlight to someone when a fight's about, give the person whose turn it is a threat to think about and maybe also the person whose turn it just was a threat to think about, too. Maybe it's a threat pointed at them. Maybe it's a threat pointed at one of the other PCs. Maybe it's a threat pointed at something else entirely - they're trying to get away and warn the others, they're getting ready to unleash something that will threaten everyone out of desperation, they're going to break something valuable out of spite. Those last ones are good to bring out as the last threats the PCs defuse.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I figure now's a good time to do an update on the old "What are the best playbooks available?" question.

I personally tend to run DW for pickup games so my preference is for a set of playbooks I can keep in a folder and mesh well together in whatever subset gets picked by a group. It's reached a point where I need to reprint all my sheets anyways, so I'm going to compile a brand new list from scratch.

So what do people think would be good inclusions for that folder?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

poor life choice posted:

I'll often go for a set piece dangerous situation like a crumbling cavern or a large unique foe the characters can clamber over or try to stay ahead of. Generally my games tend to be high chaos that destroys the status quo.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I figure now's a good time to do an update on the old "What are the best playbooks available?" question.

I personally tend to run DW for pickup games so my preference is for a set of playbooks I can keep in a folder and mesh well together in whatever subset gets picked by a group. It's reached a point where I need to reprint all my sheets anyways, so I'm going to compile a brand new list from scratch.

So what do people think would be good inclusions for that folder?

I assembled a list of playbooks for Dungeon World that I've been using as a more generic collection, from earlier:

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

On a similar note, I've been putting together a set of playbooks with idea of using them as a "DW 2.0" when I can get a RL group together. I'd be curious as to what people think.

The Barbarian
The Dashing Hero
The Bard
The City Thief
The Peerless Fighter
The Witch
The Dwarf
The Elf
The Halfling

The Orc

Ideally I'd like to go through them and update the alignment and race moves to drives and backgrounds, but that's where I'm at. I was aiming for a more swords-and-sorcery feel, hence the reduced magic and no super fiddly playbooks, and also threw the Race as Class books in because I really like them. This is, of course, heavily biased by what I think is cool, which no doubt doesn't match up with others' visions.

Depending on how you like to do it, you could cut out the RAC playbooks, or add in a Ranger or Cleric equivalent. I made up a simple setting that was concerned with cultural tensions between humans and the other peoples to run with my players, which is why I included the Orc, Dwarf and Halfling playbooks.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 2, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You need the Princess as well, that one rules.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Here's a weird question: some friends and I are about to start a DW campaign over roll20, and I have my heart set on playing a suit of armor inhabited by a spirit. (This is probably dumb for my first time playing DW, but whatever.)

I searched the OP and a lot of other sites, but I couldn't find a playbook that I felt sufficiently fit this. I want to be a balanced character too; it would be easy to be unkillable but maybe damage to the armor is damage to the spirit?

Is there a good playbook for this, or should my buddies and I put our heads together and (prolly poorly) hack something up?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Just roll as a fighter, they get crazy armor. You can say hp stands for Haunt Points. Should work fine since if you're stuck in the suit you can't really do anything a human couldn't.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Here's a weird question: some friends and I are about to start a DW campaign over roll20, and I have my heart set on playing a suit of armor inhabited by a spirit. (This is probably dumb for my first time playing DW, but whatever.)

I searched the OP and a lot of other sites, but I couldn't find a playbook that I felt sufficiently fit this. I want to be a balanced character too; it would be easy to be unkillable but maybe damage to the armor is damage to the spirit?

Is there a good playbook for this, or should my buddies and I put our heads together and (prolly poorly) hack something up?

The Golem from Inverse World is probably what you're looking for.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Haha. I briefly thought about that before my searches--looks like the easiest answer was staring me in the face.

edit: I'll check out Golem too!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

We've just started a game where a friend is playing a suit of armour full of spiders using the golem.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

That's awesome. Yeah, it looks like you can just fudge the stuff about being under people's command (or lore it up to make it work) and play a pretty good armor-with-thing-in-it. Thanks y'all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

We've just started a game where a friend is playing a suit of armour full of spiders using the golem.

Do they get to play normally or do you force them into an Everyone is John type situation?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Anyone have any suggestions for playbooks for a steampunk-themed game? We're already planning on using a bunch of the Inverse World ones, any other we should look at?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Jimmeeee posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for playbooks for a steampunk-themed game? We're already planning on using a bunch of the Inverse World ones, any other we should look at?
Great:
Artificer, Witch, Princess, Dashing Hero

Maybe:
gnome's Mages, Spellslinger, City Thief

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sage posted his thoughts on Dungeon World now that it's five years old.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

rumble in the bunghole posted:

You need the Princess as well, that one rules.

Checked the OP and that's actually a slightly older version of the playbook. You're welcome to it but I've gone in and clarified a few things (at least I think I have) and this is the updated version.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Hello. I'm planning a new campaign and trying to wrap my head around Dungeon World. I'm really excited about it in general, but I have some... concerns about the combat math. It seems like the monsters, particularly low-level humanoids like goblins and zombies, are almost laughably weak in comparison to the PCs.

From what I can gather, the average Fighter or Paladin is likely to have about 25hp (10+Con) and armour that reduces damage by 2.
Goblins deal a d6 of damage, which will work out to an average of 1.5 after subtracting armour. So a Fighter is going to take 17 (!) hits on average before going down. This sounds like a miserable slog.
At the other end of the scale - a Wizard who put Con as their lowest stat would have 12hp, and might have chosen not to wear any armour. They are going to survive 3-4 hits from the goblin, which still seems like a lot for the squishiest possible PC.
Healing between encounters also seems very easy with the abundance of bandages and healing potions.

I am running the game for a group who have never played RPGs before, so I don't want to throw them into an old-school bloodbath. But it really seems like they are not even going to be worried about the possibility of death. What am I missing here? I am aware that DW gives you many ways to challenge the players besides just dealing damage to them, but I still think that damage should be an actual concern.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

Hello. I'm planning a new campaign and trying to wrap my head around Dungeon World. I'm really excited about it in general, but I have some... concerns about the combat math. It seems like the monsters, particularly low-level humanoids like goblins and zombies, are almost laughably weak in comparison to the PCs.

From what I can gather, the average Fighter or Paladin is likely to have about 25hp (10+Con) and armour that reduces damage by 2.
Goblins deal a d6 of damage, which will work out to an average of 1.5 after subtracting armour. So a Fighter is going to take 17 (!) hits on average before going down. This sounds like a miserable slog.
At the other end of the scale - a Wizard who put Con as their lowest stat would have 12hp, and might have chosen not to wear any armour. They are going to survive 3-4 hits from the goblin, which still seems like a lot for the squishiest possible PC.
Healing between encounters also seems very easy with the abundance of bandages and healing potions.

I am running the game for a group who have never played RPGs before, so I don't want to throw them into an old-school bloodbath. But it really seems like they are not even going to be worried about the possibility of death. What am I missing here? I am aware that DW gives you many ways to challenge the players besides just dealing damage to them, but I still think that damage should be an actual concern.

Goblins are small and weak, so how would they approach problems? Maybe they go for strength in numbers: one goblin will rarely take down a fighter, but when you have five or even ten goblins all rushing one person as a pack, it becomes slightly more cause for alarm. Or maybe they're tricky: the goblin keeps bouncing around the room seemingly for no reason, until a misplaced footstep triggers a trap and you realize the whole room is covered in them, and the goblin knows where every one of them is. Or maybe the goblin isn't trying to fight at all: it's got something you want, but he has no intention of sticking around for a fight, and you quickly realize during the chase that he's far more nimble and can take riskier and more dangerous routes than the fighter.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Better GMs will help with the other parts, but I can help with how weak the little guys seem. A mob of critters add +1 to damage for each critter attacking.

Yup, per page 22 of the main Dungeon world book: when you have multiple attackers attacking a character, they get +1 damage for each attacker.

You could always do something like this for a soft move, too:

"Oh poo poo! There are like 6 goblins scrabbling at your shining, gorgeous armor and digging their horrible filthy rusted blades into the gaps in your armor! If you don't do something right away, they're going to open a gap! What do you do???"

This either sets up them doing something rad to protect their armor or gives a buddy a chance to distract the gobbos or whatever.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They can all jump on you and knick your weapon. Let's see you do something about that, sunlover.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The mob rules are incredibly easy to miss and basically fix your issue.

As for low level dudes, somethimg worth noting is Dungeon world also doesn't really scale in the way most rpgs do. An average fight at level 1 might not look massively different to a fight at level 10.

You'll definitely get tougher, but goblins won't get made obsolete or have to be powered up to match the player.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Also, a really important thing in Dungeon World is to make sure you have stakes other than "Do the players kill all the monsters before the monsters kill them back?" There should be a whole load of things going on in any fight scene that require the players' attention: stopping a ritual is the all-time classic, but there are plenty of other standbys you can go for. It is abundantly possible for the players to defeat all their enemies and still lose the fight -- hit points are just a resource they need to manage in the process of doing that.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

You know, it's a little shity to be "Yeah, we are five years late with one of the major stretch goals but whatever, I can live with that. It gets here when it gets here". Like, I doubt anyone who backed the kickstarter even remembers or cares at this point but be a little more professional in how you remind people about that.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Better GMs will help with the other parts, but I can help with how weak the little guys seem. A mob of critters add +1 to damage for each critter attacking.

Yup, per page 22 of the main Dungeon world book: when you have multiple attackers attacking a character, they get +1 damage for each attacker.

You could always do something like this for a soft move, too:

"Oh poo poo! There are like 6 goblins scrabbling at your shining, gorgeous armor and digging their horrible filthy rusted blades into the gaps in your armor! If you don't do something right away, they're going to open a gap! What do you do???"

This either sets up them doing something rad to protect their armor or gives a buddy a chance to distract the gobbos or whatever.

OK, this seems like it will just about work out. I'll start with monsters from the book and crank up the damage if it seems necessary.

One other question: how does the system handle Bluff checks? Would it be Defy Danger with CHA?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It'd probably be Parley, with the leverage being some reason to believe the lie.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It depends on the context, I think -- Parley is more for if you are convincing someone to do what you want in exchange for something you can do for them. Defy Danger Charisma is if you're talking your way out of trouble or past an obstacle; like any Defy Danger, it only triggers if talking could feasibly be a solution to the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Whybird posted:

Also, a really important thing in Dungeon World is to make sure you have stakes other than "Do the players kill all the monsters before the monsters kill them back?" There should be a whole load of things going on in any fight scene that require the players' attention: stopping a ritual is the all-time classic, but there are plenty of other standbys you can go for. It is abundantly possible for the players to defeat all their enemies and still lose the fight -- hit points are just a resource they need to manage in the process of doing that.

This is one of the big things about Dungeon world that makes it my go-to fantasy action game. Whne I run DW, the stakes are rarely just a fight to the death. Someone wants to steal something, or secure something, or destroy something, or the environment itself is unstable, unpredictable, or hostile. Someone is trying to trigger an alarm. The enemies are actually trying to kill civilians under your protection.

The most lethal game of dungeon world I've run was an old school style dungeon delver where I essentially improvised the various rooms and their inhabitants. I made hard moves real hard, and mixed up the sorts of conflicts with groups of weaker enemies like skeletons and a kobold village that the party ended up befriending and an ancient beguiling vampire on some giant ogre-like horrors. A total of 3 PCs died, going out like badasses.

One thing to remember is that you'll have plenty of opportunities to deal damage. Not only do the monsters get to make an attack (Which can be damage, putting the PCs in a bad fictional position, or both) on a 6- and a 7-9, but you can always tempt your players to open themselves up to the enemies attacks for some extra damage. Sure, a lot of your monsters are going to die. That's fine, they're like arrows in your quiver you have plenty more where they came from. If you like to prepare, set yourself some hard limits on the types and number of beasties in your dungeon.

2 tribes of Goblins engaged in open conflict.
60 Notch-ears tribe.
40 Rat-clan tribe.

A kobold village and their raving shaman worshiping a precariously perched fossilized dragon skull.

A hardened war-band of 10 orcs, set to guard a convoy of loot from the depths. Some valuable, some touched by darkness.

A lonely ogre, looking for love or meat for it's pot.

A lost and desperate merchant, are they what they seem to be?

A diamond encrusted magma filled cavern, home to a gigantic serpent made of molten rock.

A small library filled with moldering scrolls filled with scraps of ancient secrets, home to a skeleton that will answer only 3 questions before turning to dust.