Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well this is loving lame. As a Canadian I can apparently no longer gift stuff to american friends due to regional pricing...even though last time I checked we're basically paying the price in USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

Bah! I was trying to gift you my keys for both.

Well, since you have it, make sure you've grabbed the custom loader and the mods. I don't know if there's an active Sytem Shock thread here, but this guide is the one I used to get it setup. Most of the mods are just audio and visual improvements. I don't think there's been an overall of the engine, as was done with Dues Ex.

I didn't buy System Shock 1 yet, so you could gift me that. Thanks for the info about the mods too!

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Any goon opinions on Resident Evil Revelations 2? I played the first episode and I actually rather liked what it was doing, I guess I'm mainly interested to make sure it doesn't go seriously downhill from there.

(Yes, I know Resident Evil 7 looks real good, I'm just trying to keep that itch scratched until I feel like I can drop the $$$ on it.)

I really liked Rev 2. The gunplay felt real good-they keep you on a tight leash with ammo for most of the game so nailing headshots and using melee are important. The plot is firmly on the goofier side of the RE gradient, so if you like campy b-movie silliness you should have a good time. I would say it's my favorite RE game since 4.

Note that the first DLC is more of a survival game than a third person shooter, you have to hunt and collect resources and poo poo, it's not like the regular game at all. I never tried the second one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What do goons think of Stars_in_Shadow?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Sounds good to me, then! I tried to play the original some years ago and could not get past the MS Paint artstyle.

I think the new art goes a little bit too much in the opposite direction, but you can switch between the two at the drop of a hat anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DiseasedTempest posted:

I really liked Rev 2. The gunplay felt real good-they keep you on a tight leash with ammo for most of the game so nailing headshots and using melee are important. The plot is firmly on the goofier side of the RE gradient, so if you like campy b-movie silliness you should have a good time. I would say it's my favorite RE game since 4.

I played through RE 0-5 + Code Veronica + ReMake + Revelations so I think I can say I have a pretty thick skin for camp. Thanks!

Having them lampshade the dialogue that went memetic from the original is pretty :rolleyes: , tho.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I have $40ish to spend:

Darkest Dungeon, Dungeonmans and Death Road to Canada
or Nier?

Kinda leaning toward more games and waiting for a better sale on Nier.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Nodelphi posted:

I have $40ish to spend:

Darkest Dungeon, Dungeonmans and Death Road to Canada
or Nier?

Kinda leaning toward more games and waiting for a better sale on Nier.

Nier is awesome, but it's linear and will get you about 40 hours of game.

The other games need less commitment and will give you more hours of gameplay.

(So, depending on your mood now, as long as you get Nier later, any choice will do)

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Generally speaking, how long does it take after requesting a refund on Steam before the money is returned to your wallet? I'm wondering if I put one in now will the funds will be available before the end of the sale.

Edit - VVVVV Sounds good. Thanks!

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 1, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Not sure about the Steam Wallet, but real money refunds are usually issued within 24 hours.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Steam Wallet is usually 24 hours too, I did one a couple of days ago. The terms state up to a week though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just a reminder that we have a :gifttank: Gift Train going on right now! :gifttank:

Anyone who joins up for the first time this sale gets a free spin on The Wheel OF TRASH!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 1, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A very important clarification:

Painkiller Black is the full original game and expansion. Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is the HD remake that has a lot of the original levels cut out and sold as DLC. Get Black, it's a more complete and outright better version.

A much more important clarification: Those are the only two Painkiller games.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So, I finally feel like I've completed my "game-finding" phase and am now going through the process of editing my cart; cutting out as much as possible and I've figured out a couple of tips that have really helped.

1. One thing that I've found very helpful in separating the wheat from the chaff is to watch an episode or two of a Let's Play for any game in my cart. It's the closest thing to demoing the game myself and there are a surprising number of games I've realized that I will probably never play or just won't be able to get into simply by looking at episode 1 of their Let's Play.

2. Another helpful tip I've realized is to essentially "know what I like" and not get games that are outside my personal genre preferences no matter how many thousands of overwhelmingly positive reviews they have. For example, I've just never been able to get into platformers. So even though Ori and the Blind Forest has 6k Overwhelmingly Positive reviews, it's just not a good buy for me, at least not until it's at a bigger discount and after I've already exhausted buying all the games in genre's that I do tend to enjoy like, 3rd Person Action RPG's.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 1, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

-Blackadder- posted:

2. Another helpful tip I've realized is to essentially "know what I like" and not get games that are outside my personal genre preferences no matter how many thousands of overwhelmingly positive reviews they have. For example, I've just never been able to get into platformers. So even though Ori and the Blind Forest has 6k Overwhelmingly Positive reviews, it's just not a good buy for me, at least not until it's at a bigger discount and after I've already exhausted buying all the games in genre's that I do tend to enjoy like, 3rd Person Action RPG's.

I've noticed the same. I've also noticed that I've started to get way more ruthless about cutting games from my list. If it's below 85% positive reviews or has barely any reviews, I just don't buy it. Instead of buying lots of new games I've actually started "rediscovering" games I've bought in previous sales, installing them and trying them out. I have a lot of games from various bundles that I've never taken a proper look at and now I'm finding out that some of them are really good.

I'm at 700 games. That's a lot of games (I'm sure many of you reading this thread have more). I've basically reached a saturation point where the only titles worth looking at are ones that have come out in the last 12 months.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

-Blackadder- posted:

That's a nice idea and I've tried doing something similar. It just makes me wish for better personal Steam curation, like they say they want you to have. Like if they actually had a system that would work to recommend games fitted for your tastes rather than the haphazard thing they have now including "Recommended just to see if you're interested" or Recommended to you because it is popular".

I'm really hoping they have something to present towards that endeavour once the summer sale is over.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Antti posted:

If it's below 85% positive reviews or has barely any reviews, I just don't buy it.

This is a good strategy, but make sure you scroll to the bottom of the Steam page to look for reviews instead of looking at the number in the upper-right description box. Steam has a nasty habit of only counting reviews written by people who explicitly received games through Steam in the 'overall' number. For example, if someone purchased a game on itch.io and the developer provided Steam keys to itch purchasers, that person's Steam review won't be counted towards the more visible overall number.

This isn't a problem if you want games to have at least a hundred or so reviews before you'll buy them, but there can absolutely be situations where a game really has somewhere around 50-60 reviews and Steam will tell you it only has around 25 unless you go to the bottom of the page.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

LLSix posted:

What do goons think of Stars_in_Shadow?

I don't remember details, but it was unfun enough that I refunded it after getting it in a previous sale.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hostess with the Moltres posted:

It's http://steamcommunity.com/id/buildit/

Edit: I just got System Shock 2, and it's really cool. Forgetting to manually save is screwing me over though.

there are a few QoL and HD patches that are absolutely worthwhile, from memory Rebirth, Vurts floral overhaul and SHTUP. They mostly just fix the textures (though they make the cyborg midwives a little derpy iirc). Worth having a poke around if you like the game, they're straightforward to apply.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I saw some discussion about ARPGs earlier in this thread, so: a long time ago I played Torchlight and had a lot of fun just setting the difficulty to maximum and slowly killing my way to the bottom of the dungeon while finding nice loot. Are there any other ARPGs with this style? The only other ones I tried since were Diablo 3 and Path of the Exile but they both made you slog through really easy difficulties for too long to hold my interest.

I think they've fixed the (deeply retarded) decision to require an easy playthrough on D3. Grim Dawn is great, and on Veteran it's not stupidly easy, but it's more open world with dungeons scattered across it like Torchlight 2.

Oh! Also Torchlight 2.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Grim Dawn and Titan Quest are my two favorite ARPGs, but they are long-rear end games and you do have to go through them to get each subsequent difficulty. Veteran mode mitigates this a good deal but maybe not enough for Fortuitous Bumble's tastes?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I can confirm Immortal Redneck is so loving good. If you even half-liked Ziggurat as a repeating FPS-roomclearing game with loot, please get Immortal Redneck.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's a solid cheat program for Grim Dawn, if you're an arpg vet you can skip to whatever difficulty you want

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I bought Grim Dawn back in early access a year or so ago and just could not get in to it. It felt clunky or something, I never could place my finger on it. Did it change or does it feel different since it actually launched or should I just tag it with my "Never Playing" tag?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I bought Grim Dawn back in early access a year or so ago and just could not get in to it. It felt clunky or something, I never could place my finger on it. Did it change or does it feel different since it actually launched or should I just tag it with my "Never Playing" tag?

Give it a try. I mean its a complete game now and tweaks here and there. Perhaps you just werent in the mood. Unless you have lovely internet, pretty trivial just to DL it and give it a quick hr play and see if you like it this time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I also tried the melee class to start with and never got any good drops (almost literally; upgrading gear never happened to me) so I was probably set up for a bad time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I actually enjoyed Dead Island and in general like zombie games alot. Mainly due to L4D. Is Dying Light a good zombie game or Dead Rising a better choice?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Having recently purchased Dying Light and put about 34 hours into it, playing on Hard difficulty, and I'm going to say it might be the best zombie game ever made, especially in terms of actually driving home the point of just how loving relentless and dangerous zombies can be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

I actually enjoyed Dead Island and in general like zombie games alot. Mainly due to L4D. Is Dying Light a good zombie game or Dead Rising a better choice?

Dying Light is basically Dead Island but actually good, so I can't imagine you'll dislike it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also works quite well coop

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you liked Dead Island Dying Light is pretty much a slam dunk.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, just about the entire thing is co-op, playing it with my brother after we picked it up this sale. The parkour's also really good, probably the best first-person take on it around. Now would also be a good time to buy into it since they recently announced that they'll be putting out a year's worth of free DLC, inexplicably.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What are the good Final Fantasy games after 8?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

The IX version on Steam is actually really good. Like, it's not a port, it's a ground-up rebuild for Win7+. It's loving great. It's also the most heartwarming and pure Final Fantasy since the SNES days. It's a wonderful game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

-Blackadder- posted:

You must be reading my mind.

Thanks goons, for all the game recommendations and doing intervention on my steam deal habit.

Here's some games I have from my inventory and past bundles. See something you like, just hit me up on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/-blackadder-/

Tossed over an invite to ask about stuff!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I take it Hollow Knight is a Recommend I take it? I'll pick that up.

And I wanna get one more game and that might do it for me this sale. It's a tossup right now between VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action or The Sexy Brutal. Suggestions?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

So I take it Hollow Knight is a Recommend I take it? I'll pick that up.

And I wanna get one more game and that might do it for me this sale. It's a tossup right now between VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action or The Sexy Brutal. Suggestions?

Between those two, Sexy Brutale. I watched my friend play and it is pretty interesting to watch. Premise is pretty fun too.

I also saw a bit of Cyber punk Bartender and it is extremely edgy. Like, aggressively so.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Lightning Returns has a fun premise and great combat. X and X-2 are also fun games with great music, but are very much products of their times.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

-Blackadder- posted:

Ask ten FF fans this question and you'll get eleven opinions. For my part, X is the greatest the series has ever been, and X-2 is secretly solid gold. I dislike IX personally, but the Steam port is, by all accounts, extremely solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I would say 6, but you might be better off just finding a ROM for the SNES version somewhere.

• Locked thread