Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be hilarious if these guys are turning in Saul commercials as their projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It would be hilarious if these guys are turning in Saul commercials as their projects.

"A+ I've never seen so many Star-Wipes in a row before! It's never been done!"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Colonel Whitey posted:

gently caress you're absolutely right

E: I hope those kids don't get expelled for using the university's equipment for some lovely commercials

Now I hope they do and they're saul's first clients.
Get them reinstated with a tuition refund.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is chuck ok

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

is chuck ok

He's alive and well in Mexico.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

He's alive and well in Mexico Belize.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Space blanket is fire resistant.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sinteres posted:

How bad must it suck to literally be a manager of a Cinnabon and to see it used to represent a living hell.

i need to unscubscribe to this thread

but then i read a post like this lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More BB rewatch thoughts: I really want Kuby and I'm hoping we see more Lydia.

Also, from the way Mike talks about Lydia he seems to absolutely loathe her, for more than suggesting his guys die.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More BB rewatch thoughts: I really want Kuby and I'm hoping we see more Lydia.

Also, from the way Mike talks about Lydia he seems to absolutely loathe her, for more than suggesting his guys die.

Yep. It well beyond the events of Breaking Bad. He loving hated her before that, and I think that could be a drat amusing story to play out here.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep. It well beyond the events of Breaking Bad. He loving hated her before that, and I think that could be a drat amusing story to play out here.

And by the time of BB there's real poo poo between him and his daughter-in-law. Talk about a guy with no arc. Yawn! :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His arc this season was boring. Maybe if they had shot some of that it wouldn't have been.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Every time Mike is on screen I'm loving it. I was enthralled watching him take a car apart. I feel sorry for people who don't enjoy Mike.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Maybe Kim runs away to Belize and that's why he's always pushing people there. In a series ending twist Gene will go to Belize and Kim, Chuck, Howard, Walt, Jesse, Todd, Mike and Marco come out for a HUGE party

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That DICK! posted:

Maybe Kim runs away to Belize and that's why he's always pushing people there. In a series ending twist Gene will go to Belize and Kim, Chuck, Howard, Walt, Jesse, Todd, Mike and Marco come out for a HUGE party

That's dumb, Gus would totally be there too.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Alan_Shore posted:

Every time Mike is on screen I'm loving it. I was enthralled watching him take a car apart. I feel sorry for people who don't enjoy Mike.

I don't think anyone is complaining about Mike's first half of the season. His story completely drops off around the midpoint though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

socialsecurity posted:

That's dumb, Gus would totally be there too.

Also Tuco and Krazy 8.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
im pretty sure some of those people are dead so why would they be in belize

e: am I doing it right

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm trying to imagine what Breaking Bad would have been like with this show's pacing. Obviously Walt had fits and starts too, but he was already cooking meth and killing people in the first episode. Imagine if he was still puttering around at the car wash in the third season and wrestling with the morality of selling meth. Obviously I don't think that's really a fair comparison, but it amused me anyway. I do think the breakneck pace of the pilot has a lot to do with why Breaking Bad is so great though. The opening flash forward makes you think it's the end of the season or maybe even series, but nope, it gets there in one episode and lets you know immediately that the show's going to be something special.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 3, 2017

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jesse is introduced at the end of the first season, then spend the entire second one hanging out with Badger, Combo and Skinny Pete without meeting WW again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the slow pace is fine it's just dumb it's only 10 episodes. need more mike.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jimmy's exaggerated thinky face is hilarious.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I like BCS more, and I really do remember Breaking Bad not being particularly fast pace either. So much of the show is domestic conflict that doesn't ever play out especially differently. I like the show but it sure as hell wasnt a Mecca of fast paced TV.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Jesse is introduced at the end of the first season, then spend the entire second one hanging out with Badger, Combo and Skinny Pete without meeting WW again.

I know you're exaggerating but BB had plenty of slow burns and gradually developed story lines. Sure, the pace overall was faster, but I'm not sure that's why BB was "better". I didn't find BCS all that slow actually but I'm engaged by good writing, compelling characters and exceptional acting and I don't think it ever faltered in that regard so I was never bored.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
remember that episode with the fly? ACTION PACKED BABY

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wonder what Kurt Sutter thinks of this show? :smug:

I'm kidding, I don't give a gently caress.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

maskenfreiheit posted:

ACTION PACKED BABY

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I know you're exaggerating but BB had plenty of slow burns and gradually developed story lines. Sure, the pace overall was faster, but I'm not sure that's why BB was "better". I didn't find BCS all that slow actually but I'm engaged by good writing, compelling characters and exceptional acting and I don't think it ever faltered in that regard so I was never bored.

everyone i talk to is turned off by the first season of bcs cuz it's so slow. i've been trying to get work friends to get back on - the only reason i got hooked on the show was i could watch season 2 all in one go i had the same issues with pacing.

it's why every show now should just dump the whole season at once. each episode seems way too short now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's why every show now should just dump the whole season at once. each episode seems way too short now.

For real. Week to week releases is great for multi camera sitcoms where there's kind of an overarching story in the background but each week is its own thing. A lot of shows now are making 10-13 hour long movies and they really should just release them all at once.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The difference is that Breaking Bad tells a story that's clearly about something, which is Walter White's criminal career, and it jumps right into it. There were aspects of that story that weren't super fast paced, but Walter White went from normal guy to killer in the pilot, and if killing when his life was in immediate danger didn't drive it home enough, he killed someone in cold blood in the third episode. Better Call Saul started off as a show that was going to be largely about Saul Goodman as a criminal attorney, featuring the return of a beloved side character from Breaking Bad, but has turned into the prolonged descent of Jimmy, featuring beloved side characters from Breaking Bad. Jimmy's plot in season 2 basically consisted of him saying "not today, devil," then being bored for a year, and the reason was because the people making the show decided not to move him to the place we know he's headed. The third season was stronger in general than the second, and the story of the Brothers McGill offered up one of the best episodes of television in years, but even now it remains in two steps forward, one step back mode.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sinteres posted:

The difference is that Breaking Bad tells a story that's clearly about something

oh yeah because a show about nothing will never sell

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

remember that episode with the fly? ACTION PACKED BABY

the guy that directed that episode is directing star wars 8

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

He also directed Ozymandias.

Also, Fly isn't a great representation of the overall pace of Breaking Bad, given that it was a bottle episode designed to save budget. (i think it was excellent, im just sayin)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'll never forgive him for changing kylo's scar location (it's not even close).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Mike taking the car apart was great. I personally really appreciated all the drawn out "Mike does a thing" scenes. They were fascinating.

But I had honestly forgotten why he was doing anything at the start, which is kind of a big deal. When Gus explained it was all about that good samaritan, it didn't really seem as visceral or interesting as when he was providing for or protecting his granddaughter. There were some scenes that tried to make it more impactful, like meeting that woman who showed how it felt to have a loved one just disappeared, but for the most part it felt like Mike's real dramatic story was over pretty early on and he was just spinning his wheels while crazy interesting stuff was happening to Jimmy.

Gus was fun to watch, but didn't really have much weight on his own. Here's a smart cool guy, who's really angry deep down, laying a trap for the guy he hates. Okay, that's pretty fun to watch, but again in contrast to the much more emotional stories of Jimmy and even previous-season Mike.

The good part of the cartel sub plot was Nacho. Nacho and his dad and all that was fantastic.

We had three characters in the cartel world this season, and while they were all great to watch while they were on the screen, only one of them had any sort of compelling emotional weight that stuck with you.

Until Nacho's story started being really interesting I was wishing we could just spend some more of our brief time with Jimmy, Kim, Chuck, and Howard, because all of them were fantastic this season.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Eiba posted:

Mike taking the car apart was great. I personally really appreciated all the drawn out "Mike does a thing" scenes. They were fascinating.

But I had honestly forgotten why he was doing anything at the start, which is kind of a big deal. When Gus explained it was all about that good samaritan, it didn't really seem as visceral or interesting as when he was providing for or protecting his granddaughter. There were some scenes that tried to make it more impactful, like meeting that woman who showed how it felt to have a loved one just disappeared, but for the most part it felt like Mike's real dramatic story was over pretty early on and he was just spinning his wheels while crazy interesting stuff was happening to Jimmy.

Gus was fun to watch, but didn't really have much weight on his own. Here's a smart cool guy, who's really angry deep down, laying a trap for the guy he hates. Okay, that's pretty fun to watch, but again in contrast to the much more emotional stories of Jimmy and even previous-season Mike.

The good part of the cartel sub plot was Nacho. Nacho and his dad and all that was fantastic.

We had three characters in the cartel world this season, and while they were all great to watch while they were on the screen, only one of them had any sort of compelling emotional weight that stuck with you.

Until Nacho's story started being really interesting I was wishing we could just spend some more of our brief time with Jimmy, Kim, Chuck, and Howard, because all of them were fantastic this season.

I agree with all of this, and I also think one reason Nacho is more interesting than the other characters in cartel world is that we don't know exactly what's going to end up happening with him. The more characters from Breaking Bad are in a scene together, the more you more or less know what's going to happen, and while that still means Nacho wasn't going to kill Hector (and there's at least some reason to believe Nacho will survive too), it gives his scenes more tension than something just between Gus and Hector, for example.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'll never forgive him for changing kylo's scar location (it's not even close).

Why does this matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol

• Locked thread