Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

MassRafTer posted:

The Bullet Club will have their poo poo in every Hot Topic and won't be bringing in as much cash as the Fabulous Ones selling 8x10s to horny moms in Memphis.

None of them made Hoot money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The horny mom demo is a very powerful demo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Call Me Charlie posted:

do stupid poo poo to get attention and they're putting their bodies on the line for an industry that treats itself and the workers like goofs.

Dumb piece of poo poo jumped off a drat scaffold

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lone Goat posted:

He got paid $100,000 to jump off a scaffold though

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
^^ that too

Lone Goat posted:

To be fair, Big Boss Man was suppose to catch him.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Only the hottest and freshest of takes, here's the Sidewalk Slam for Payback and Backlash.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
This was posted on Wreddit and stuff so I don't feel as bad posting a deeply personal message here but this was in the Observer this week:

quote:

With a very heavy heart, I’ve just found out that my father is entering hospice care with pancreatic cancer and kidney failure.

He had surgery on 6/27 and while he came through the surgery itself well, I was called the next day and said that the family needed to be together and we were told he only has a short time left, that the cancer was advanced and the kidney failure was rapidly getting worse.

... last week I was told that he had cancer and at his age it would be terminal, but he would have some time left to live.

Meltzer has had several friends pass away or going through major health issues the last year. In addition to his mother having a stoke earlier this year.

rovert fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 30, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, Dave and Bryan have had a really rough go with thus stuff the last few months. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Poor Dave :smith:

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
My grandpa died of essentially the same issue earlier this year. I feel for him.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
F4W/WO's annus horribilis.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Does anybody know why there hasn't been any new Talk is Jericho or Ross Report episodes since mid-July?

Edit: I just found the Talk is Jericho twitter and apparently there has been? On mobile and also when going to the desktop site the latest shows I can find are Big Show for Jericho and Matt Mittrione/Adam Cole for JR. Austin's latest shows are all showing up for me. :iiam:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 30, 2017

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Are they behind the pay windah?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought that was just for older shows?

Oh well, if they are then I've just saved myself 3-5 hours a week of audio v:shobon:v

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm on the desktop page right now and everything from 5/26 on for Jericho and 4/26 on for Ross is there for me (everything before is behind paywall)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm on the desktop page right now and everything from 5/26 on for Jericho and 4/26 on for Ross is there for me (everything before is behind paywall)

Maybe podcastone is doing some kind of regional restriction? I've tried their desktop site at work and home and the latest on both is from mid-June. I know it's not site-wide because Austin's most recent stuff is up.

Edit: Yep that's it, it's redirecting me and they clearly don't have updated episodes. That's annoying, I guess I'll just grab them through itunes till they get their poo poo together.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 30, 2017

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

MassRafTer posted:

The Bullet Club will have their poo poo in every Hot Topic and won't be bringing in as much cash as the Fabulous Ones selling 8x10s to horny moms in Memphis.

Indie wrestling didn't kill that money though, Vince did

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Wrestlers do some more dangerous moves but they're also not injecting every nearby drug into their bodies to be considered big enough to be taken seriously so it's a bit of a wash imo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Does anyone listen to Killing the Town with Storm and Cyrus? I heard about it a long time ago but didn't pay it much mind. No one told me they were reviewing old ECW shows every week. It's fascinating hearing them talk about Heyman's booking on a weekly basis. Their reactions to certain offcolor promos and chants and chair shots with 2017 ears and eyes. Their reactions to the millionth Dudleys hardcore match and the millionth time that Balls Mahoney gets himself set on fire. Storm telling stories such as the time they had Sabu super glue Justin Credible's head back stage rather than take him to a hospital. One time Storm was having a match with Sabu and Sabu told him he was going to gently caress up on purpose to get a "You hosed up" chant started.

One time Sabu was coming through the crowd and pulled out a 10-inch spike out of his boot and hit a fan with it.
Storm: I assume that was a plant.
Cyrus: I wouldn't assume that.
Storm: Joey's on commentary not saying a thing because what can you say?
Cyrus: Can you imagine if John Cena pulled a spike out of his boot and started stabbing a fan?
Storm: Yeah, Sabu was basically a babyface.
Cyrus: There's no basically about it. He was a huge babyface. My god.

I miss ECW.

This finally made me get a subscription to podcastone so I could listen to their oldest shows.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 30, 2017

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I loathe Lance but love Cyrus, so I'm always torn when I occasionally listen.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm a big Killing the Town fan. I think they offer the best analysis of any of the retired wrestler podcasts and they both have some great stories from one of the crazier times in wrestling.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheLapsedFan/status/881185186855170049

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

11 hours

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I'm a big Killing the Town fan. I think they offer the best analysis of any of the retired wrestler podcasts and they both have some great stories from one of the crazier times in wrestling.

They seem more nuanced when they discuss the whole "Do indy guys do too much?" thing. The thought is that they do, but they're great athletes who do their stuff and hit it and a lot of them are still learning, plus guys like the Bucks and Omega make money off of it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

mkay0 posted:

I loathe Lance but love Cyrus, so I'm always torn when I occasionally listen.

I didn't think Lance could generate that strong of an emotion out of someone. I don't like or dislike Lance. He's just dull, yet that makes it amusing when he talks about something as crazy has ECW. That strangely makes him the perfect recapper for ECW. He always sound mystified.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the flagship is bad

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
the hottest of takes.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

joe is nothing if not consistent

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Is that the match where some idiot headbutted a wrestler and gave himself a permanent injury? Why would anyone want to watch a match where they're really hurting each other? It's like a movie where people are shooting each other with real bullets. Why would anyone support that?

How many stars did Meltzer give it?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

some guy on the bus posted:

Is that the match where some idiot headbutted a wrestler and gave himself a permanent injury? Why would anyone want to watch a match where they're really hurting each other? It's like a movie where people are shooting each other with real bullets. Why would anyone support that?

How many stars did Meltzer give it?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
4 and 3 quarters i think

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The match is still good though.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MLW/status/881289664694538241

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

How the hell have I never heard that Benoit's guard dogs were named "Carny" and "High Spot"?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

4 and 3 quarters i think

What a mark.

I feel the same way about this as Jim Cornette feels about dick suplexes, invisible grenades, and wrestlers having matches with 9 year olds. If there's a match where someone gets dropped on their head on purpose or someone headbutts a person as hard as they can on purpose, that match should get 0 stars. This is the discussion Dave and Jim should be having. Not talking about comedy bits on a show where every person in the audience knows they're watching a show..

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

some guy on the bus posted:

What a mark.

I feel the same way about this as Jim Cornette feels about dick suplexes, invisible grenades, and wrestlers having matches with 9 year olds. If there's a match where someone gets dropped on their head on purpose or someone headbutts a person as hard as they can on purpose, that match should get 0 stars. This is the discussion Dave and Jim should be having. Not talking about comedy bits on a show where every person in the audience knows they're watching a show..

Nah there's room for all types of wrestling.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This is perfect for work next week!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

The_Rob posted:

The point to many is that there's room for comedy, high flying, technical, brawling, but Shibata incident was just so perfect an example of when strong style Japanese wrestling is stupid and shouldn't be emulated.

To so many it makes the match unwatchable, and harder to enjoy past Shibata matches knowing it was all similar behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The_Rob posted:

Yeah "shoot head trauma" is a tradition that must be protected.

• Locked thread