Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my favourite webcomic is my own. it's a riveting look at addiction and desire, told from the point of view of an upper-middle-class white jewish woman who just cannot stop sticking electric toothbrushes up her rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

city of doves posted:

my favourite webcomic is my own. it's a riveting look at addiction and desire, told from the point of view of an upper-middle-class white jewish woman who just cannot stop sticking electric toothbrushes up her rear end

Please give me credit when documenting my life please.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Allison's most grounded in reality comic, Giant Days, also appears to be his most popular. Go figure.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

city of doves posted:

intriguing, do you have a patreon or newsletter i can subscribe to

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

city of doves posted:

OJST?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

Instead, let's criticize Dresden Codak, because I still haven't exactly penetrated what's supposed to be going on there. Like, did Balthazar get replaced with a double at some point or did the writer just decide to reveal that he secretly had a completely different personality all along?

Diaz will rewrite or remove characters depending on what new fetish he's unlocked inside his own psyche and frame them as "plot twists he totally planned from the start of his comic 11 kabillion years ago because he's just that brilliant". Right now he decided he no longer wants Kim in a hetero romance with an author insert, because he watched Korra and realized muscular woman-on-woman is way hotter and had to introduce a new author insert for that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nuns with Guns posted:

Diaz will rewrite or remove characters depending on what new fetish he's unlocked inside his own psyche and frame them as "plot twists he totally planned from the start of his comic 11 kabillion years ago because he's just that brilliant". Right now he decided he no longer wants Kim in a hetero romance with an author insert, because he watched Korra and realized muscular woman-on-woman is way hotter and had to introduce a new author insert for that.

Webcomics. Webcomics never change.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So Sylvania, a comic about witches in space, has finally put witches in space.

Also, whoa poppy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

So Sylvania, a comic about witches in space, has finally put witches in space.

Also, whoa poppy

Z's going to get clowned, but I respect his moxie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Oxxidation posted:

Z's going to get clowned, but I respect his moxie.
Oh, almost certainly.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Okay folks, here's the deal. Every single time ScaryGoRound has an update that's not loving amazing, everyone has to give me one of your shiny American dollars/Euros/Maple Leaf currency/whatever.

Maybe one day I'll then be able to achieve my dream of buying a cheese burger.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Kiwi Blitz : Barkley's actually mentally stable? Come again?!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think he just needs to shut up and jam her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I had totally forgotten about that guy. Looks like everything's coming full circle.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Rereading old SGR and marvelling at the perfection of panel 4.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

this week's oglaf was graphic but not in a way i would have expected

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I think he just needs to shut up and jam her.

Kiwi Blitz: Part 5 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been waiting weeks to make that joke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'll have to go back and re-read the first chapters to see if his reasoning holds water because I'm pretty sure that Barkley comes off as a loving nut at the start of the comic. But yeah, that's a surprisingly sane take on the matter... for a man who apparently had the thought at one point "You know what sounds like a good idea? Working for Celeste Jones. Willingly."

Meanwhile, on Monster Pulse: Surprise! Maugras is aghast that Lulenski and Rjinder are trying to resurrect his dead son. Just given their reactions to Maugras here and based off the cover of the chapter, I'm pretty sure now that Lulenski's gonna be the one who goes nuts and tries to murder everyone, and Rjinder's gonna turn out to be the sane one who actually ends up helping the kids.

But we'll see!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Check Please is gettin' its first two years published properly!

http://ew.com/books/2017/06/30/check-please-ngozi-ukazu-two-volume-published/

She also put out a primer for the series. It's a real good series.

http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/162443574044

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll have to go back and re-read the first chapters to see if his reasoning holds water because I'm pretty sure that Barkley comes off as a loving nut at the start of the comic. But yeah, that's a surprisingly sane take on the matter... for a man who apparently had the thought at one point "You know what sounds like a good idea? Working for Celeste Jones. Willingly."

Meanwhile, on Monster Pulse: Surprise! Maugras is aghast that Lulenski and Rjinder are trying to resurrect his dead son. Just given their reactions to Maugras here and based off the cover of the chapter, I'm pretty sure now that Lulenski's gonna be the one who goes nuts and tries to murder everyone, and Rjinder's gonna turn out to be the sane one who actually ends up helping the kids.

But we'll see!

I really like when a story goes in directions like those. Early parts of the comic made it seem cut and dry who was the most sinister person around. But that's gradually become less of the case due to both the information we're learning about monsters and the actions the employees are taking. Handling that so gradually is probably the strong point of the comic; too many authors just suddenly pull plot twists out of their asses or go, "Here's a twist you should have seen coming due to this easily overseen detail that you had no reason to be paying attention to!" without any other lead-up whatsoever.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Double Punctuation posted:

I really like when a story goes in directions like those. Early parts of the comic made it seem cut and dry who was the most sinister person around. But that's gradually become less of the case due to both the information we're learning about monsters and the actions the employees are taking. Handling that so gradually is probably the strong point of the comic; too many authors just suddenly pull plot twists out of their asses or go, "Here's a twist you should have seen coming due to this easily overseen detail that you had no reason to be paying attention to!" without any other lead-up whatsoever.

Yeah, I think Lulenski's fall has been pretty well done and is pretty organic and believable. We still don't know what Rjinder's deal exactly is and I'm still looking forward to learning more about him as well. Magnolia pearl really has a knack for characterization in general.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

But we'll see!

On the first matter it's probably a case of nine years of writing experience allowing the writer the ability to do nuance better.

On the latter, the comic's sorta shown sane people getting dragged into the whims of the insane largely due to being left without any option: that Tiger-girl to Alter for her SO, Ben to Steffi to a degree, Racoon pretty much being gaslighted into Alters cause.

Joining Alter on the platform of "They'll be the only ones to listen to me on even starting a conversation about AI Ethics (because the war put that much of a fear of AI as to ensure it never happens) or, failing that, leaving me the gently caress alone." is as rational as you could get given.

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been waiting weeks to make that joke.
Sorry 'bout that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

On the first matter it's probably a case of nine years of writing experience allowing the writer the ability to do nuance better.

This is why I do hope that Cagle gets the chance to finish that revised version of the original chapters she's been chipping away at on and off. It's like night and day between the level of quality in the art and writing from where she started and where she is now that KB's coming to an end. I hope she has a long career ahead of her because Kiwi Blitz has turned out absolutely fantastic.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Sleepless Domain has been pretty good too. There's some interesting character stuff sitting there waiting to be developed that I'm looking forward to.

Edit: There's also a whole hidden message thing going on now that I'm curious about but have no idea where people are talking about it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 4, 2017

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Welp I guess the Tacklefield universe (save Giant Days) is coming to an end after all.

http://scarygoround.tumblr.com/post/162589434428/the-beginning-of-the-end

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
It's honestly the healthiest thing- John is a talented guy, so i'm sure whatever comes next will be great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yak of Wrath posted:

Welp I guess the Tacklefield universe (save Giant Days) is coming to an end after all.

Don't worry, Desmond Fishman will land on his feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZooH4LlOkUM

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll miss them, but Bad Machinery has been pretty much dead in the water for a while now, the last few proper story arcs weren't even about anything supernatural (aside from the one that probably didn't happen). It'll be nice to see what, if anything he'll go on to make next.

On the other hand, I don't really believe he's actually going to go through with ending the adventures in Tackleford for good, because he's been threatening and planning to end it all for a long while now, and he's never followed through. He seems like he's pretty attached to that setting himself, and I wouldn't be surprised if he pops back into it from time to time. Hopefully he won't go and pull a David Willis though.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Giant Days is a lot more fun than Scary Go Round, so if the tackleverse does end I won't be to sad about it. Especially since he seems to be unable to break away from Shelly and her circle.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Is it finally time for...dare I say it...Robert Cop?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yak of Wrath posted:

I...I don't want it to go...:smith:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't really understand what's happening in the current/previous Poppy wrt Friedrich's spells. Can any magic spergs educate me?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't really understand what's happening in the current/previous Poppy wrt Friedrich's spells. Can any magic spergs educate me?

Friedrich presumably has an escape teleport set up as a contingency when he needs to get out of dodge. Chickadino disabled that, using his authority as PM.
Friedrich has a much less known teleport spell that brings him his entire armoury, which he's now flinging.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh I get it, he's all "both spells? Hohoho, but I actually had three all along! :smug:"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You've activated my trap card! Thousand Knives!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hopefully the end of Tackleford will result in Tim escaping his abusive wife once and for all, although if Scout has to be raised by Shelley that might be a bit hard on her. Or not! Shelley feels like she'd either be a wonderful mother or an amazingly awful one.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

What did Riley do to Tim? I only ever remember her wanting him to settle down and stop with the hijinks when they were dating, then being really made when she thought he blew up their house almost killing her and their daughter.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She manipulated things to lose him his job as mayor and got him exiled to Wales in order to calm him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Riley basically hates everything Tim likes and is willing to do really underhanded things to separate him from those things, including "his job" and "all his friends except her."

It's surprisingly textbook emotional abuse; it just doesn't get played up much because Riley rarely appears in person.

• Locked thread