Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ethiser posted:

So Thief, Berserker, and Beast Master. What do I do with this? What Earth crystal job should I hope to get to carry me through the game?

Sounds like a job for Enkibot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mega64 posted:

The other relevant W2 bosses weak to Instant Death are Dragon Pod and Boatmesh (and Enkidu but I think killing Boatmesh immediately would nullify Enkidu coming in), so it depends on whether you want to fight two extra Prototypes to bother with those bosses' gimmicks.

Also, you don't necessarily need to kill all four crystal seals with instant death. Both Firaga and Aeraga can be reflected, and you've got Float so Earth Crystal should be trivial as well. If you're going to grind for Reflect Rings anyway, you may only want to instant death the Water Crystal, and of course you could always just damage rush it with Drain Kisses and physicals instead.
Hm yeah, makes sense. Still, I'd like to have at least some instant death potions lying around, in case I gently caress something ELSE up (like forgetting to buy Holy Water or w/e). So how would I kill the Prototypes? Just Split Shell, then hit em?

Also, I wouldn't waste a Dark Matter on Dragon Pod or Boatmesh, they're both easy as poo poo...

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Guess who I cut in half?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Simply Simon posted:

Hm yeah, makes sense. Still, I'd like to have at least some instant death potions lying around, in case I gently caress something ELSE up (like forgetting to buy Holy Water or w/e). So how would I kill the Prototypes? Just Split Shell, then hit em?

If you're dead set on farming some Dark Matter, Succubus Kiss or Turtle Soup + physical attacks is your best bet. But I really wouldn't bother. With the exception of Boatgamesh, any noteworthy enemy in World 2 that is susceptible to Death is also vulnerable to Graviga, and by the time you hit World 3, there are easier ways to get the ingredient.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

IIRC, Boatgamesh is vulnerable to Berserk as well, so you can cheese him even without a Dark Matter.

That said, a Time Mage with !Throw completely trivialises World 2 anyway so you know, whatever.

Ninja with time is also great, you can cast haste/haste2 fast enough that a character who would normally go after an enemy can move before them. Also, he has access to elemental power to make the thrown scrolls even stronger. And bonus points for having one of the only classes that synergizes with Dragoon.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Four smooches should deal with a prototype, according to someone on the discord

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I somehow just found out that you can get a wind drake in world 3 by going to the top of castle Bal. I don't know how many times I've played FFV without ever trying that.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

ultrafilter posted:

I somehow just found out that you can get a wind drake in world 3 by going to the top of castle Bal. I don't know how many times I've played FFV without ever trying that.

You never have to, the drake is worse than the airship and cant go where the black chocobo lets you get to.

On the other hand, if you are playing the SNES and I guess PS1 version, if you happen to have access to time magic, you can do a glitch in world 3. After you enter Guido's cave and have all the cutscenes that takes you to the library, if you teleport out of the library it will take you back to Guido's cave. From there you can get to the phantom village and the black chocobo. This can lead to fighting Melusine with all 4 party members, but you have to beat the wind temple which requires the wind drake to get to and from there enter fork tower which the game will put Lenna back on the team. you dont have to complete the tower, just enter and leave.

A fun glitch to do if it happens to come up.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What's a good number of elixirs to farm in the graveyard? I'm currently at 37.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just started my fifth run, Soul Cannon is gone.

Samurai/Dragoon/Dragoon/Red Mage.

Not a TC but an easy run regardless.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Does anyone know the exact damage formula used when throwing a weapon or Shuriken/Fuma Shuriken? The one in the Algorithms guide seems to be wrong because I constantly get far more damage than I should.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I don't think I've ever had Mystic Knight & Dancer in a run before.

:dukedog:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Four smooches should deal with a prototype, according to someone on the discord
It's a Turtle Soup and five. ~750 damage without Soup, ~1100 with*. 5k HP.

Got the Dark Matters quickly enough, I accept the Turtle Shell exchange rate. Had too much trouble with Crystals in the past to not prepare like that, and it was quick enough. Thanks for the hints! This also gave me a better feel for how to use mixes in fun and exciting ways, so I should be good to go.

*I should mention that I don't yet have a Time Mage with !Mix for higher magic damage, I peeked ahead to be able to get my grinding with four characters done before heading into Ronka Ruins.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does anyone know the exact damage formula used when throwing a weapon or Shuriken/Fuma Shuriken? The one in the Algorithms guide seems to be wrong because I constantly get far more damage than I should.

What kind of damage are you getting versus what you're expecting?

If you're looking at section 6.4.14, it's kind of deceptive, since it doesn't mention the command modifiers.

Section 6.4.14 posted:

6.4.14) THROW DAMAGE PARAMETERS

Attack = Weapon Throw Attack + (0..(Weapon Throw Attack/8))
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + (Level*Agility)/128 + 2
Defense = Defense

You get a better picture in Section 6.7.4, where it mentions the Command modifiers in step 3, and gives a reference to section 6.5.3, where we find that Throw doubles the attack provided by the weapon.

"Section 6.7.4 posted:

ATTACK TYPE (HEX: 45) (Throw)
1) If Item being thrown is a Flame, Water or Thunder Scroll, use Attack Type
HEX:06 instead.
2) Use Throw Damage Parameters (6.4.14):
Attack = Weapon Throw Attack + (0..(Weapon Throw Attack/8))
M = (Level*Strength)/128 + (Level*Agility)/128 + 2
Defense = Defense
3) Apply Command modifiers to Attack, Defense and M (6.5.3).
4) Apply Target Status Effect modifiers to Defense and M (physical) (6.5.11).
5) Apply Attacker Status Effect modifiers to Attack (physical) (6.5.12).
6) Damage = (Attack - Defense) * M. Max Damage = 9999.

Section 6.5.3 posted:

6.5.3) COMMAND MODIFIERS TO ATTACK, DEFENSE AND M

If the Attacker is using Throw, Attack = Attack * 2

It's all summed up in Section 6.9, which shows the doubled attack from the command rolled into the attack formula.

Section 6.9 posted:

THROW
Damage = (Weapon Throw Damage + (0..(Weapon Throw Damage/8)))*2
Damage = Damage - Defense
Damage = Damage * M
M = (Strength*Level)/128 + (Agility*Level)/128 + 2
No Back Row Modifications
Hit% = 100
If throwing a Flame, Water or Thunder Scroll, use Attack Type HEX:06
instead.

Easiest way to test would be throwing a Kunai (Attack: 29) at Garkimasera (Defense: 50) in the Walse basement. If it does non-zero damage, the attack is doubled.
I did this test with a Chicken M of 22, doing ((29+2)*2 - 50)*22 = 264 damage, thus demonstrating the doubled attack. The +2 is (0..(Weapon Throw Damage/8)) random modifier.

EDIT: more details, also Section 6.5.3

Rudicron fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 2, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, the thing you're probably missing is the doubled attack power for thrown things from 6.5.3.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Chemist first.

FINE I guess I can do a Brave Blade run.

*grumble grumble*

*Edit* Heh, got Knight for my second job. I can actually use the thing, go figure.

derra fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 2, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ah, yeah, I completely missed that !Throw uses twice the listed Weapon Throw Attack value. :doh: Thanks for clearing that up, Rudicron.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Got my first ever Triple Berserker party. The other job is Summoner, so it could definitely be worse, but it's still triple Berserker.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Finished a run with Dancer/White Mage/Blue Mage/Monk. I did that as an unofficial run last year and struggled a bit after the Forest of Moore cause I was underlevelled. This year I spent some time grinding, and it was pretty smooth sailing. I got all four tablets, took out NED with no problems, and (just for fun) filled out the first four rows of summon magic. I could probably get all the level five spells, but Phoenix Tower is an unfun slog, so I think I'll pass. Now to figure out what to do next.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
#BraveBlade

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/881725399096578049

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Interlude

Almost there...

I almost feel bad for all those lamia...

So anyway I'm going out of town for a week and the journey will have to wait. I was hoping to get this done before I left, but my kids had other ideas this weekend. (Seriously, why don't kids nap when they should? Napping is amazing.)

Also, there's no secret hidden reason I shouldn't get to 99, right? Like NED doubles in HP or something dumb like that?

Next time: Axe versus tree (for real this time).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saigyouji posted:

Got my first ever Triple Berserker party. The other job is Summoner, so it could definitely be worse, but it's still triple Berserker.

SUM/BER/ZER/KER is actually one of the best teams you can get your tripzerk with. Summoner makes quick work of Byblos and Sandworm, Golem makes your punchmans functionally invincible, !Summon synergizes stupidly well with Gaia Hammer and Rune Axe, you can get an easy Fork Tower clear meaning a free Titan Axe and second Aegis Shield, and Phoenix is some good support if you bother to get it. It doesn't play to Summoner's natural damage-barfing ability, but it makes your Tripzerks so much better.

I'd rank it on par with White and Time Mage at least, if not quite to Chemist levels.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 3, 2017

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Who thought Ex-death's fortress would be fun? Some encounters can just kill any team, any time. Wheee!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

4d3d3d posted:

Who thought Ex-death's fortress would be fun? Some encounters can just kill any team, any time. Wheee!

The dragon rooms are awful, yes. I'm pretty sure the dragon rooms, along with the bullshit high random encounter rate in Moore Forest (even if the fights aren't as brutal as in Meatfort, they're a lot more frequent and it makes Moore feel about ten times longer than it really is), are explicitly designed to discourage Brave Blade runs.

If you have Thief, Ninja, or Time Mage, this is a good chance to teach yourself how to run from battles. (Which is to say, !Flee, !Smoke, Teleport)

If you're doing a Brave Blade run, good luck and expect to reload any time you get the Blue Dragon Stack.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Finally got all my jobs, mime/chemist/zerk x2, got all the tablets because why not, 99 turtle shells, gonna grind the chicken knife, is there anything else that's op for my guys before I the void? I'm at lvl 36 about

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KataraniSword posted:

The dragon rooms are awful, yes. I'm pretty sure the dragon rooms, along with the bullshit high random encounter rate in Moore Forest (even if the fights aren't as brutal as in Meatfort, they're a lot more frequent and it makes Moore feel about ten times longer than it really is), are explicitly designed to discourage Brave Blade runs.

I'm not sure they're meant to discourage Brave Blade runs so much that the game is not designed around the limitations of the fiesta.

The dragon encounters, being some of the toughest challenges before the player gets access to the world three resources, just happen to be unsuitable for many fiesta parties.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ask me about javelins in w1

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

KataraniSword posted:

If you have Thief, Ninja, or Time Mage, this is a good chance to teach yourself how to run from battles. (Which is to say, !Flee, !Smoke, Teleport)

If you're doing a Brave Blade run, good luck and expect to reload any time you get the Blue Dragon Stack.

I'm not even doing that and the pricks kill my knight/ m knight/ ninja/ dancer party before they run

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Exdeath is a goofy name for a villain, but he still has a ton of style. And his musical theme is great.

It sounds like a combat move. Exfight. Excast. Exdeath.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Ugh, I'm pretty sure I used to know that Puroburos is vulnerable to !Control, too bad I decided to go with the "do nonlethal damage, try to facetank Exploder" approach instead. At least Prototype grinding was super-easy.

At least when I figured out how I could have trivialized it I looked things up and found that Enkidu of all things is !Control-vulnerable, too. Although Killer Bow decided to proc pretty fast into that fight so whatever.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Dunno if there are still slots available, but my wife finished a butt run.

https://twitter.com/Angelise001/status/882071751097819136

*Edit* Damnit, only Bards on Adamantoise : (

derra fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 4, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Behold, the bravest of butts.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Exdeath is a goofy name for a villain, but he still has a ton of style. And his musical theme is great.

It sounds like a combat move. Exfight. Excast. Exdeath.

If you have it, you can Excast Flare to quickly take down every part of Neo Double Death, and I'm pretty sure rangers get X-Fight.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

4d3d3d posted:

I'm not even doing that and the pricks kill my knight/ m knight/ ninja/ dancer party before they run

Mystic Knight is one of the few classes that has an easy time against Blue Dragons. The combination of Break Spellblade and the Ice Shield shuts them down nicely.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Samuel Clemens posted:

Mystic Knight is one of the few classes that has an easy time against Blue Dragons. The combination of Break Spellblade and the Ice Shield shuts them down nicely.

And ninjas have !smoke and like 400 in speed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I've been waiting for this moment

all my life

Due to speedup, I later misaimed a Succubus Kiss on Galuf during the Exdeath duel. As Galuf cannot take damage, he took himself from 0 to max life by absorbing his own nonexistant life force. drat that dude was badass, rip!

Also, the one time I'm not farming for reflect rings in the barrier tower, I get two at once...two CORAL RINGS at once from Yellow Dragons in the Gold Hairpin chest!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
4th Jobbed a Blue Mage and I'm at the end of World 1. If my team is now Bard/Mystic/Mystic/Blue, which Blue spells do I really need to go back and grind for? Not sure if this is Shin/Omega worthy for a team but I already TC'd once so far this year.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

4th Jobbed a Blue Mage and I'm at the end of World 1. If my team is now Bard/Mystic/Mystic/Blue, which Blue spells do I really need to go back and grind for? Not sure if this is Shin/Omega worthy for a team but I already TC'd once so far this year.

Bard is a lock for omega, one of the songs can chain stun, and spellblading thundaga reduces the time you need to pull it off/actually deal damage
shinryu can be beserked with wonder rod then blinded with flash from !blue to almost nullify

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Fiesta unrelated but FF14's new raid is the bosses of the Rift castle followed by an Exdeath fight, which is kinda cool timing what with the fiesta going on and all.

He even briefly turns into the tree version for a bit, which is...odd in 3d.

edit: Catastrophe's whole fight is essentially "what if he figured out what to do about float spam?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Playing through all this I like being reminded by how much I like Exdeath. Dudes not stupid, tragic, conflicted, or crazy. Dude is just evil cause he likes being evil.

I just got to world 3. Now I gotta hunt down all the blue magic I wasn't able to get earlier.

• Locked thread