Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I just discovered that you can use the pod switch buttons during flight mode segments to shoot lasers/missiles.

Saagonsa posted:

It tells you about light/heavy attacks in the first tutorial, yeah. It doesn't say that they can both break all orbs, though.

I'm going to start the game soon -- are all these things that should be in a manual or tutorial documented on a website or post somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Overbite posted:

Nier Atomato is a good game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADfK2ENghms

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

pmchem posted:

I'm going to start the game soon -- are all these things that should be in a manual or tutorial documented on a website or post somewhere?

There's a character in a resistance camp you'll find relatively early on who will explain a few mechanics to you, but in general, it's more about experimentation. And/or looking for a tutorial or post somewhere.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's more like idiotic phrasing of orders by the aliens who ordered the machines to fight the androids, not to defeat the androids

No, that's not true at all. What I said is what's true; the game explicitly says that. I'm struggling to imagine where you got this notion from.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Momomo posted:

Ending E question: So I got to the shooter section of ending E and couldn't beat it, and had to put the game down for like two months. As far as I know though, you get the option to delete your save, but there are sidequests that I haven't figured out how to get. Can you actually do everything before doing ending E?

You do know that if you fail that section five times, it asks if you want to put it into an easy mode that makes it basically impossible to lose, right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

...! posted:

I'm struggling to imagine where you got this notion from.

Its explicitly there in the headcanon section.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

...! posted:

You do know that if you fail that section five times, it asks if you want to put it into an easy mode that makes it basically impossible to lose, right?

I found this out today. Back when I tried it the first time my internet was bad, so I wasn't connected to the network, and it didn't give me that option.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I kind of figured the population of Androids on earth is far larger than the game abstracts it to be, and YorHa is just a small military force.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Who is the red girl? Was that explained and I missed it or forgot, or was it something from Nier?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

rio posted:

Who is the red girl? Was that explained and I missed it or forgot, or was it something from Nier?

They're from the YoRHa stage play and just avatars of a program controlling the machine network.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh ok, thanks. I haven't gotten all the way through the play yet - I should probably finish that. I was really impressed at the quality of their read through from what I saw so far.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiK5fxV7ycI

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Do the people pod-fishing there get a prize if they catch the one non-robot mackerel?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Do the people pod-fishing there get a prize if they catch the one non-robot mackerel?

Death by mackerel.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maxwell Adams posted:

Death by mackerel.

Strong avatar post combo here.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

iospace posted:

That's a cold fish, it'll freeze your circuits right up.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

iospace posted:

I'm sure someone modded all of Nier Automata into skyrim already by this point

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, 13 hours or so in and Nier is still fun, and it's always cool to see the backward echoes where the two games are much closer to each other than I would have thought. I have no idea why I stopped playing the first time through.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never realized that Yoko Taro's mask's scar was an actual bit of damage it received when they used it as a prop at some conference and it fell. It's hilarious to me that he has only that one mask, and so felt the need to repair it and did so in a way that makes it look intentional.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
it fell when it was on taro yokos head and it turned out it wasnt actually taro yoko at all and some other dev. taro yoko wasnt at the event at all or something.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Iretep posted:

it fell when it was on taro yokos head and it turned out
When i had read to that point i was kind of hoping for a Persona 4 Teddy "reveal"

i've seen both the video of the mask accident and yoko taro giving unmasked talks.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 2, 2017

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

rio posted:

Along with what Nina posted, they are meant to resemble the character Manah from Drakengard. She's a little girl whose mother abused her while heaping love onto her brother, Seere. Manah is the avatar for the Watchers. She speaks with her child's voice but an adult male's voice sometimes superimposes itself over hers. Presumably the Machine AI somehow learned about her in their time studying the humans and decided to mimic her, or else it's a happy coincidence that they resemble her.

Relevant Manah quote: "Now it is time to feel the love of the gods. A deep love. A great love. A love powerful and formidable. A love that crushes like a mace."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
In 30min from now our fellow goon half-coordinated is gonna speedrun Nier Automata ending A on Summer Games Done Quick: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm getting the itch to experience Drakengard again, but not badly enough to actually want to dust off my ps2 and play the extremely bad game. Have there been any good video let's plays of it that anyone's aware of? I know dark id did a screenshot LP of it, but I don't really feel like reading

I think I beat drakengard in like, one or two sittings back in the day, and it did a number to my brain and I don't remember most of it. All I remember is that it got real weird and I'm fairly positive I murdered a bunch of literal child soldiers at one point

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I never realized that Yoko Taro's mask's scar was an actual bit of damage it received when they used it as a prop at some conference and it fell. It's hilarious to me that he has only that one mask, and so felt the need to repair it and did so in a way that makes it look intentional.

They offered to replace it and he was like "nah, this is fine".

There's video of the incident, too. It was on a mannequin for display and someone accidentally knocked it over.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cephas posted:

Along with what Nina posted, they are meant to resemble the character Manah from Drakengard. She's a little girl whose mother abused her while heaping love onto her brother, Seere. Manah is the avatar for the Watchers. She speaks with her child's voice but an adult male's voice sometimes superimposes itself over hers. Presumably the Machine AI somehow learned about her in their time studying the humans and decided to mimic her, or else it's a happy coincidence that they resemble her.

Relevant Manah quote: "Now it is time to feel the love of the gods. A deep love. A great love. A love powerful and formidable. A love that crushes like a mace."

There's a theory that the aliens were sent by the Watchers - consider that both aliens and machine cores are said to be plant-like. And consider the Cult of the Watchers tattoo Eve gets when he goes mad.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm getting the itch to experience Drakengard again, but not badly enough to actually want to dust off my ps2 and play the extremely bad game. Have there been any good video let's plays of it that anyone's aware of? I know dark id did a screenshot LP of it, but I don't really feel like reading

I think I beat drakengard in like, one or two sittings back in the day, and it did a number to my brain and I don't remember most of it. All I remember is that it got real weird and I'm fairly positive I murdered a bunch of literal child soldiers at one point
My YouTube channel has the first 34 verses without commentary but that's as far as I got before I had to put it down because it is nooooooot fun.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Dabir posted:

There's a theory that the aliens were sent by the Watchers - consider that both aliens and machine cores are said to be plant-like. And consider the Cult of the Watchers tattoo Eve gets when he goes mad.

I like the story better in its current form where the aliens are completely irrelevant

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're still irrelevant to the bits that actually matter.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its explicitly there in the headcanon section.

What's a headcanon? Show me exactly where it says that. What you're saying contradicts what the game very plainly and directly tells you. What you're saying is 100% wrong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow woooosh.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Turn left nooooo

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Apparently the speedrun marathon run went well and halfcoordinated put out a silly idea and some of the 100k viewers complied: https://twitter.com/hashtag/got2bradical

confirmed headcanon

...! posted:

What's a headcanon? Show me exactly where it says that. What you're saying contradicts what the game very plainly and directly tells you. What you're saying is 100% wrong.
please source you are quotes, thanks

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Finished up to ending E. It's a lot to unpack but I think I'll go for a few more sidequests and weapons before I let the end credits sweep me away. For ending C/D a telling moment for me about 9S' state of mind was from visiting Pascal's village after the attack. In my mind he's visiting to slay everyone himself but instead finds the job already done. He doesn't even wonder internally what happened, he's just mildly surprised at what he finds and you leave without comment. A lot has happened since our boy was chatting up a storm and being casually robo-racist. If there's a sidequest that contradicts that then I hope I miss it because I like it better that way.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Through The Decade posted:

Finished up to ending E. It's a lot to unpack but I think I'll go for a few more sidequests and weapons before I let the end credits sweep me away. For ending C/D a telling moment for me about 9S' state of mind was from visiting Pascal's village after the attack. In my mind he's visiting to slay everyone himself but instead finds the job already done. He doesn't even wonder internally what happened, he's just mildly surprised at what he finds and you leave without comment. A lot has happened since our boy was chatting up a storm and being casually robo-racist. If there's a sidequest that contradicts that then I hope I miss it because I like it better that way.

I feel it's actually the most fitting chain of events if you memory-wipe Pascal and then kill him as 9S. He just silently disposes of Pascal and is on his way again

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Nina posted:

I feel it's actually the most fitting chain of events if you memory-wipe Pascal and then kill him as 9S. He just silently disposes of Pascal and is on his way again

Ohh that would be interesting. I decided to try walking away, I thought the two presented options were "mandatory" to proceed and that I'd just get a joke ending for leaving. I actually feel bad that it worked but I guess all three options don't feel good anyway.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Cephas posted:

The Game talks about how the Red Girls were created using stolen Project Gestalt data, so maybe they used some Manah descendant?

Dabir posted:

I know that if you do 6O's quest you get A line when escaping the Bunker about how the virus is "like a flower" and the ceiling in the tower entrance looks kinda like a flower?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

That doesn't happen though. The machines are inspired by the Project Gestalt data and Yonah in some way but it's never specified what the information really means to them

My personal theory to it all is really just that Since the machines are so deep in the android systems they also have access to all the information from Accord and hence know about the history of Notspain and how it relates to the events that transpired on Earth. But even then the machines are likely copying what they know without understanding the meaning which is one of the most interesting aspects of the machines in general.

Nina fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 5, 2017

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Nina posted:

My personal theory to it all is really just that Since the machines are so deep in the android systems they also have access to all the information from Accord and hence know about the history of Notspain and how it relates to the events that transpired on Earth. But even then the machines are likely copying what they know without understanding the meaning which is one of the most interesting aspects of the machines in general.

Do we know how much the Androids know about the Drakengard parallel universe? A lot of what I've read about it seems to indicate that they're aware that the Giant & Dragon came from a parallel dimension, but I never got the impression that they were able to directly observe or learn about it. I know we see Accord there, but I just figured that whatever the "Catastrophe" in Drakengard's history that made the world all magic was some kind of massive time-travel event bringing a future city to the past, what with all the burnt out 20th century office buildings, and that any Androids were carried back with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

As much as I enjoyed Nier changing into a series of text adventures and then a survival horror game, I didn't really like being forced into a huge boss battle on going back to town with only 2 medicinal herbs and one healing potion. The isometric dungeon crawl made up for it, though.