Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SocketWrench posted:

Oh, you mean like the multitude he already had done (even admitting to) and was going to court over as he was being elected? Yeeeeah, no.

Yes, his powerful lawyers will laugh aside the multiple lawsuits about his financial emoluments and the special counsel investigating his collusion with russia will eventually award him a medal for being the most innocent man ever born, we all know this, we all know he will win the 2020 election (and the 2020 olympics) because he wins everything he turns his powerful hands to. But for the sake of people that aren't soaked in his healing light why not pretend that we don't know the outcomes of trials until they actually happen?

The fact there is even open investigations at all is a big deal. Even if we know in our true hearts that strong trump father will eventually prevail like he does in all things he graces us with. It's STILL a big deal and matters that we have even gotten to the investigations stage, why spoil the ending for the non devoted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JuniperCake posted:

I think a big difference in the gulf of opinion, is probably where people live. I definitely feel a chord with the "nothing matters" bit because I live in a Purple State and I know a lot of people who do defend everything he does. Oh it's locker room talk, oh he's changed, oh he's an outsider not corrupted by lobbyists, oh his tweets are actually a calculated ploy. Just give it time, he'll go down as one of the best presidents in history!

Like, a whole fuckton of people 100% believe this. If you are surrounded by that poo poo it wears on you. There's probably at least 35% of the population that's like this and they'll probably never change (going by polls but I think it's hard to pin down the exact number). It's enough of a sway that it takes "just enough" apathy or voter suppression to make our entire nation go to poo poo. I suspect for people who live in areas where people are relatively more sane, it's easier to be optimistic.

In short, there's lots to be depressed about but I think how often your attention is brought to this depends on where you live and the kind of people in that area.

Yeah, I live across the river from St Louis, in one of many downstate counties that went Trump despite otherwise usually being Democrat, and the fervent ones will defend Trump up and down, while the "reasonable" folk will say "well, I may not like him that much, but he still won, so these obnoxious kids to to get over it and let him govern already, and we can discuss it all in 2020." Then, if I make the mistake of trying to point out any of the absurd and probably illegal things he's already done in office, they look at me like I'm the one who needs to be committed.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What happens matters.

When protesting gets out of hand.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Aw no. No. Noooo good kitty. Black kitties best kitties, brb gonna hug mine :(

Don't worry, man, it's a cat. He probably muttered "I'll be back" before smashing a truck through the entryway and brutally murdering seventeen of thirty security guards.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

drat you could tell it was Oregon just from those pictures?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Rich people take every penny they can and try to use it to get richer.

Rich people don't give a poo poo about having more pennies as a means of further enriching themselves. They just hate the idea of those pennies going to poor people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Owl, while I understand that it's entertaining and possibly mildly informative to draw parallels between raving Trumpists and raving pessimists, this is getting a little weird.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ran into Rand Paul today

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Don't worry, man, it's a cat. He probably muttered "I'll be back" before smashing a truck through the entryway and brutally murdering seventeen of thirty security guards.

The very next day.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HPanda posted:

The very next day.

The thought he was a goner, but...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Owl, while I understand that it's entertaining and possibly mildly informative to draw parallels between raving Trumpists and raving pessimists, this is getting a little weird.

Like there is literally an special investigation going on right now on his collusion with russia, there is public hearings about his obstruction of justice, there is multiple court cases happening about his financial stuff. Like it's totally possible none of that will go anywhere. But it's insane to act like nothing is being done about his crimes. Like the fact it's gone this far is in itself a really big deal. Even if the sadbrain assumption is he wins them all and wins everything that comes after forever.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

Rich people don't give a poo poo about having more pennies as a means of further enriching themselves. They just hate the idea of those pennies going to poor people.

I just searched for more of those comics, and it's incredible how that exists

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like there is literally an special investigation going on right now on his collusion with russia, there is public hearings about his obstruction of justice, there is multiple court cases happening about his financial stuff. Like it's totally possible none of that will go anywhere. But it's insane to act like nothing is being done about his crimes. Like the fact it's gone this far is in itself a really big deal. Even if the sadbrain assumption is he wins them all and wins everything that comes after forever.

Let's say that the special investigation finds hard evidence of collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia, and that Trump ordered it.

The fact of the matter is that Congress would still decide to do something about it. How likely is it that they would?

You already have hardliners starting to mutter "well, collusion is not a crime" so that should give you a hint.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

enraged_camel posted:

Let's say that the special investigation finds hard evidence of collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia, and that Trump ordered it.

The fact of the matter is that Congress would still decide to do something about it. How likely is it that they would?

You already have hardliners starting to mutter "well, collusion is not a crime" so that should give you a hint.

Honestly it should be made illegal to even investigate him. Waste of my tax dollars if you ask me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

empty whippet box posted:

quoting myself to point out that he has now pinned this tweet

poo poo's getting real now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I agree with your overall gist (and will sometimes cheerily respond to said raving pessimists with the amount of effort they put forth :v: ), you were just laying it on a bit thick there, is all I'm saying.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

enraged_camel posted:

Right now everything is based on media reports and conjecture, so it is a lot easier for the GOP and the right-wing media to spin everything. They can say that kind of thing right now because the public doesn't know the extent of everything yet. So they can get away with de-emphasizing it and saying it isn't a crime or calling it a distraction because the full set of facts aren't known and won't be for some time. The political consequences of pretending it isn't a big deal right now are minimal because basically nothing has happened yet.

That changes drastically if and when Mueller announces his findings and recommends charges. If he comes out and says "our findings are that the President broke laws X, Y, and Z" then that increases the pressure on Republicans in Congress by orders of magnitude. Continuing to cover for Donnie at that point would risk loss of donor support, primary challenges, and potentially a further exodus of basically anyone who voted for Trump as a not-Hillary vote. They'd be risking having ONLY the super hardcore Trump base and no one else, probably for multiple cycles, while also massively motivating non-Republicans to go vote and kick them all out of office. It's not a given that any/all of that would happen, but I think a lot of GOPers would think it likely enough that they'd think twice about continuing to defend him.

So I think it's fair to say that there's no reason (from their perspective) to do anything now, but if charges are recommended all bets are off.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He has a ~magic card~ in his pocket that can kill everyone on earth.

Did that help?

Luckily, it doesn't actually auto-launch the missiles, and if he tried to blow up the world, I'm pretty sure he would be "discouraged" from ordering such a strike by his military advisers and secret service.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Nonzero. I'd suggest nontrivial, but am waiting with horrified fascination like everyone else for more details.

Edit: Mr Jackson did it better.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 2, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Honestly it should be made illegal to even investigate him. Waste of my tax dollars if you ask me.

Don't dodge the question now.

Do you actually believe this Congress is likely to impeach him?

And even if they do, what are the chances that the Senate would vote to remove him from office?

I mean I'm just curious about what types of poo poo you think can actually happen here. Sure, there are investigations going on, and lawsuits, but frankly, so what?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
The thing is, I don't think Trump has anyone actively trying to stop him. Like, imagine Obama making any of these tweets. He'd have his wife and family and close cabinet being like, "yo dude, calm down, it's all okay." With Trump? Terrified wife; rich, spoiled kids; pussy media; 30,000 bots sending him <3 with every loving poop tweet he makes.

This lunatic has the power to end the world at a whim. Is it so hard to imagine, at this point, Trump launching 50 nukes at North Korea in a few months? Deporting everyone with marshall law?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction Jackson posted:

Right now everything is based on media reports and conjecture, so it is a lot easier for the GOP and the right-wing media to spin everything. They can say that kind of thing right now because the public doesn't know the extent of everything yet. So they can get away with de-emphasizing it and saying it isn't a crime or calling it a distraction because the full set of facts aren't known and won't be for some time. The political consequences of pretending it isn't a big deal right now are minimal because basically nothing has happened yet.

If this election has taught us anything, it is that facts don't matter. Not anymore.

Look around you. What percentage of GOP's current behaviors and policies would you say is fact-based?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aurubin posted:

https://twitter.com/katiedjennings/status/881166394318094336

Christie is a petty bully, and other obvious statements.

I refuse to believe this is a real man and not an actor on a sitcom from the 80s.

mango sentinel posted:

On a normal planet this is actionable defamation, right?

Maybe in the UK, back before they fixed(?) their libel laws. In the US though? Nope.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

enraged_camel posted:

you'd start seeing a lot more incidences like the crazy berniebro at the baseball field. i don't think it's fever dreaming to expect that sort of reaction from an electorate just told their leader is illegitimate and congress decided not to give a gently caress about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

galenanorth posted:

I just searched for more of those comics, and it's incredible how that exists

They started out as Bush era comics so really it's not surprising that they're again relevant.

(Now imagine Trump's 9/11 moment)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pepito sanchez posted:

The thing is, I don't think Trump has anyone actively trying to stop him. Like, imagine Obama making any of these tweets. He'd have his wife and family and close cabinet being like, "yo dude, calm down, it's all okay." With Trump? Terrified wife; rich, spoiled kids; pussy media; 30,000 bots sending him <3 with every loving poop tweet he makes.

This lunatic has the power to end the world at a whim. Is it so hard to imagine, at this point, Trump launching 50 nukes at North Korea in a few months? Deporting everyone with marshall law?

And right on cue we have hypotheses considerably more ridiculous than the enraged camel one I provisionally disagree with.

Neither of those things will happen.

(And I liked your first paragraph, too :( )

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

Continuing to cover for Donnie at that point would risk loss of donor support

This would really be the tipping point for them I think. Like a lot of their voters just shrugged and pulled the lever after the pussy grabbing poo poo. If rich donors actually pulled financial support, and it's an if because lord knows rich assholes don't give a gently caress about corrupt governments that benefit them, that would be the death knell for him.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

GreyjoyBastard posted:

And right on cue we have hypotheses considerably more ridiculous than the enraged camel one I provisionally disagree with.

Neither of those things will happen.

(And I liked your first paragraph, too :( )

Sorry for smashing your like for me :P I'm not from USA (Uruguay), and the guy simply terrifies me.

It's all steadily but surely going downhill, so before it gets to any real, dangerous insanity, I'm putting all my money on the checks and balances stopping him.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

If this election has taught us anything, it is that facts don't matter. Not anymore.

Look around you. What percentage of GOP's current behaviors and policies would you say is fact-based?

I'm not going to deny that a lot of Republican orthodoxy is basically based on cult-like belief that certain things will work "just because", in direct opposition to evidence to the contrary. But that's a different thing altogether. That works mostly because a lot of voters either a. believe they will someday be rich, or b. believe in Republican branding about the magic of the free market, privatization, "running the government like a business", etc. And so the GOP can support what they support for their own benefit and the benefit of their donors, without paying a huge political price for it.

But if a well-respected Republican special counsel brands the President a criminal, and a big enough chunk of GOP voters accept that branding, and the GOP congresspeople stand by Trump anyway, they risk ruining their political careers and ability to make money off their connections. They risk becoming radioactive. The narrative becomes "why is Paul Ryan/Mitch McConnell defending a criminal president". That's not happening right now because we're only at the hints-and-allegations stage. When it becomes the possible criminal charges stage, the pressure to jettison Trump to save the party becomes greater than it is now.

I don't have faith in the Republicans doing the right thing because it's the right thing any more than you do. But it's not like more than a handful of them actually like Trump. Right now he gives them political cover and a distraction from some of the more evil poo poo they want to do. But they're not loyal to him, and if charges come down, them launching Trump into metaphorical space to save their own hides is exactly what they will do if they think they don't have a choice.

TGLT posted:

This would really be the tipping point for them I think. Like a lot of their voters just shrugged and pulled the lever after the pussy grabbing poo poo. If rich donors actually pulled financial support, and it's an if because lord knows rich assholes don't give a gently caress about corrupt governments that benefit them, that would be the death knell for him.

Again, it all comes down to branding. If they think defending Trump or being associated with a criminal President will be toxic for their assets, they will make it known to GOP officeholders. Right now, there's cover, because the investigation just started and there are no recommended charges. That changes the second Mueller releases a report and suggests charges.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 2, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pepito sanchez posted:

I think you should read up on what the President's powers actually entail because you are almost as confused as Trump about them.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think you should read up on what the President's powers actually entail because you are almost as confused as Trump about them.

Enlighten me? I'm not an internet warrior on any of this stuff and happy to get schooled and educated. I assumed "Commander and Chief" meant he did actually have the one big power of starting serious, nuclear war. He commands the army and armed forces from the top, doesn't he?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

pepito sanchez posted:

Enlighten me? I'm not an internet warrior on any of this stuff and happy to get schooled and educated. I assumed "Commander and Chief" meant he did actually have the one big power of starting serious, nuclear war. He commands the army and armed forces from the top, doesn't he?

Yes, the POTUS can in fact unilaterally launch nukes.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dude's from Uruguay, I can understand how a non North-American citizen might not have the familiarity with our workings, and be rightly shaken.

^^^^^^
That is true. e- I don't mean to be alarmist, I don't believe that the military would carry out baby-man's anger nuke orders.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 2, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

JasonV posted:

This guy knows state secrets. If the republicans finally do turn on him, is this going to end with him locked in a room furiously tweeting state secrets out as a final 'gently caress you'? "STUPID AMERICA has nuclear capable space plane but won't use it on ISIS. COWARDS!"

I was skimming through so I'm not sure if someone already argued/joked against this, but no he's not.

His poo poo brain hates reading and he only skims something to see how many times it says his name and how an amazing boy he his.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Yes, the POTUS can in fact unilaterally launch nukes.

I actually pondered going into this one in more detail and decided the thread has already done it to death, but apparently it's worth reiterating

And I will let someone else do that

Edit: also sorry Uruguayan dude for my rudeness

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 2, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

pepito sanchez posted:

Technically, the only thing necessary for Trump to order a launch of nuclear weapons (aside from the codes, obviously) is for the Secretary of Defense to authenticate that the orders are actually coming from the President. The SecDef could refuse, but the President could then fire them and find someone who would carry out the order.

Near the end of the Nixon administration James Schlesinger, the SecDef at the time, actually gave subordinates orders that any such launch order from Nixon (as well as any attempt to, say, deploy troops to prevent himself from being removed from office) had to be independently confirmed by him. This was highly illegal but also the correct and good thing to do. I imagine Mattis would probably act similarly, though like with Schlesinger I hope it never actually has to be practically exercised.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Also the President can't just declare martial law and begin deporting people. He essentially can't just decide one day to become a dictator.

And if Trump ever decides in a rage to launch nukes the military should humor him and pretend they did it while shoving him in a bunker somewhere to "protect him" from all the dangerous radiation that now pollutes the planet. No you can't come up to check its too dangerous just stay underground for the next 36 months.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 2, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

Technically, the only thing necessary for Trump to order a launch of nuclear weapons (aside from the codes, obviously) is for the Secretary of Defense to authenticate that the orders are actually coming from the President. The SecDef could refuse, but the President could then fire them and find someone who would carry out the order.

To add to this, the President doesn't launch the weapons at all, contrary to popular assumption. He orders the STRATCOM commander to carry out a strike, and STRATCOM could, you know. Mutiny. Which isn't unlikely if it looks like Trump has gone dangerously nuts.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

I was skimming through so I'm not sure if someone already argued/joked against this, but no he's not.

His poo poo brain hates reading and he only skims something to see how many times it says his name and how an amazing boy he his.

Yeah, they had to in person tell him the state secrets for him to understand them, and he immediately tweeted them out ( our base in Saudi Arabia ). They've since stopped sending him major state secrets, and he doesn't read the stuff he gets anyways.

Trump has no idea what's going on in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I actually pondered going into this one in more detail and decided the thread has already done it to death, but apparently it's worth reiterating

And I will let someone else do that

Edit: also sorry Uruguayan dude for my rudeness

Let me clarify: it's not like there is a red button on his desk that launches the nukes. But he has full authority to unilaterally order the military to launch the nukes. The "nuclear football" and all, carried out by an aide who is always with the POTUS.

Other than that, most details of the actual procedure are classified, for obvious reasons.

• Locked thread