Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

Also, of you're into comic and pulp art from the 60s-80s, I can't recommend @pulplibrarian highly enough. Yesterday he did a retrospective on a British horror comic aimed at girls from the late 70's called misty.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/877622403584667648

And if that interests you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scaramouche posted:

Onslaught Reborn Redux

Everybody's getting the HC for BSSSS

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty sure it's against the rules to threaten other posters like that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ross's big pinup for Marvel Legends (whatever the hell that is)

It looks like he sketched Spider-man in the middle, then realised he needed an Iron Man and just painted him over the pose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Pretty sure it's against the rules to threaten other posters like that

Yer gettin TWO copies

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm so sad I've never gotten lovely ironic comic gifts when I've done BSSSS. :(

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

zoux posted:

So they're fighting whatever is in the ground that is covering all the heroes in shiny plastic? Sign me up!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ferrule posted:

So they're fighting whatever is in the ground that is covering all the heroes in shiny plastic? Sign me up!

This summer.... the floor....is lava

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RandallODim posted:

I'm so sad I've never gotten lovely ironic comic gifts when I've done BSSSS. :(

Well I did stop participating so your chances have been slimmer he last few years.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Someone needs to cave in and design Luke Cage a costume.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
A yellow t-shirt and jeans is a costume if you rock it as hard as Cage does.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Gaunab posted:

Someone needs to cave in and design Luke Cage a costume.

Why bother, it's just going to get shot full of holes or torn off anyway.

If only he knew someone capable of producing some incredibly durable and malleable fabric, perhaps made of some kind of ... unstable molecules

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haitfais posted:

A yellow t-shirt and jeans is a costume if you rock it as hard as Cage does.

And a tiara. And a chain belt.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked his outfit when he was leading the Thunderbolts; the art when he was leading them was also pretty good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Luke looks best in the yellow t-shirt. Chains might not be the best thing to put on a black man in 2017 but a metal belt and wrist bracers can look good if drawn properly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He should at least wear some fly bracers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

He should at least wear some fly bracers.

I said bracers were cool! Form over function ergo coolness!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah plus he can block poo poo with them if it looks like it might sting.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I miss the tiara. He doesn't need to grow the hair for it, just have the doofy headband on and like it.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Jesus christ every single "what if superheros are actually in a mental asylum" story acts like nobody in the world could ever have POSSIBLY come up with such a BOLD and MIND BLOWING idea

It's up there with "they were in a coma the whole time and hallucinated their amazing adventures"

Marshall Law actually works pretty well if you know the concept. Superhumans in the comic are basically all government controlled supersoldiers created via genetic engineering. The whole superhero idea was essentially just a giant propaganda device to make genetically engineered superhuman war machines semi-palatable to the public. Problem is the engineering comes with lots of mental instability. Law hates superheros because he's never actually met one, all the superhumans are broken people, either victims or monsters. Marshal Law actually wants there to be genuine superheros, instead of broken people, psychopaths, or cynical assholes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wapole Languray posted:

Marshall Law actually works pretty well if you know the concept. Superhumans in the comic are basically all government controlled supersoldiers created via genetic engineering. The whole superhero idea was essentially just a giant propaganda device to make genetically engineered superhuman war machines semi-palatable to the public. Problem is the engineering comes with lots of mental instability. Law hates superheros because he's never actually met one, all the superhumans are broken people, either victims or monsters. Marshal Law actually wants there to be genuine superheros, instead of broken people, psychopaths, or cynical assholes.

Now I'm interested in reading that. :tipshat:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Choco1980 posted:

I miss the tiara. He doesn't need to grow the hair for it, just have the doofy headband on and like it.

You'd think he'd want a sweat band at least. Punching fools has got to be sweaty work, and he doesn't have any hair to slow down his scalp sweat on its way to his eyes.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

prefect posted:

Now I'm interested in reading that. :tipshat:

Its good

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.

zoux posted:

The best of this is that it looks like Ghost Rider accidentally whipped himself in the back of head with his fiery chain whips. Looks angry at himself for it too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Internet Wizard posted:

You'd think he'd want a sweat band at least. Punching fools has got to be sweaty work, and he doesn't have any hair to slow down his scalp sweat on its way to his eyes.

He's in shape, it takes more than punching a couple of fools to work up a decent sweat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is that Devil Dinosaur? :psyduck:

My brother was a huge Kirby fan and I laughed at him when he bought that comic back in the late seventies.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

It certainly is.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

My brother was a huge Kirby fan and I laughed at him when he bought that comic back in the late seventies.

Devil Dinosaur has always been and will always be the best of the satanic lizard beasts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's Jason Latour's design for Gwenom, which they are debuting in Spider Gwen in a few issues (I gather)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0-hHPgebh/

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Here's Jason Latour's design for Gwenom, which they are debuting in Spider Gwen in a few issues (I gather)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0-hHPgebh/

Continuing the trend of Spider-Gwen having the best costume. If the hood is actually a giant mouth the way it looks, that's going to be amazing.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

reading through some classic Thor right now, and while Bruce Zick never did much work for Marvel, he drew a hell of an Asgard when he did:

and one of my fav pages:

he did a cool looking Hades later on too :)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The aggressive perspective really makes it all seem alien.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

goatface posted:

The aggressive perspective really makes it all seem alien.

Kirby used that trick in the original Thor stuff, iirc.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

How long do we have to wait until Marvel artists turn to neo-Kirby as a style

However long it is, I don't want to wait that long

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pacra posted:

How long do we have to wait until Marvel artists turn to neo-Kirby as a style

However long it is, I don't want to wait that long

It already happened and people seemed to hate it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It already happened and people seemed to hate it.

Aside from outliers like Jose Ladronn on Cable in the late '90s and what Tom Scioli is doing today, who else?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Keith Giffen.

e: Not Marvel, but still.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Aside from outliers like Jose Ladronn on Cable in the late '90s and what Tom Scioli is doing today, who else?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Keith Giffen.

e: Not Marvel, but still.

There were a few guys who aped Kirby's style here and there, the dude who finished Phantom Force and a bunch of Image stuff. Nobody bought it and it all went away.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Even if you managed to get that aesthetic back in vogue there's not a single colorist working for the big 2 in 2017 that would not completely ruin it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What about Allred on colors.