Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Exalted angel was the hot poo poo when I first started playing, and I remember an other 12 year old kid my age saying I would never own one. Wrong! mofo, my Mom also loves me.

PS: I know you read these mom. I luv u 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Edit: And Ali from Cairo / Old Man of the Sea

My favourite from Arabian Nights is probably Abu Ja'far because SUMMON LEPER has always been incredibly funny to me

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Wall of Glare because holy poo poo it can block ANY NUMBER of creatures??? Also I liked the art.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Island Fish was Arabian Nights. Urza's lands were Antiquities. YOUR STORY IS FULL OF HOLES!

Oh wow they were first in antiquities? Didn't even realize, although I never even saw those packs being on the East Coast they probably weren't even available near me. I thought they originated in like 5th edition or Saga or something. I guess I first saw them in, what was the first massive reprint set, chronicles?

They're also the #1 thing I want reprinted in the return to Dominaria. Such sweet cards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I can't really see them getting reprints in Dominaria since Urza is long dead and presumably all of his poo poo has been dismantled, but who knows where they'll go with the story.

If they bring back masterworks or timeshifted or something they'd definitely get a slot there, though.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah, rather than cool cards come back, I'd rather they keep the sanctity of the extremely interesting and well written magic story that I definitely pay attention to and care about.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

netcat posted:

My favourite from Arabian Nights is probably Abu Ja'far because SUMMON LEPER has always been incredibly funny to me

"Summon Uncle Istvan"

edit: my other MVP was Wall of Hope because my metagame growing up had tons of burn and that guy is backbreaking against Jackal Pups et al.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What happens if I draw a card and realize I forgot to take a suspend counter off my ancestral visions at comp REL?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What happens if I draw a card and realize I forgot to take a suspend counter off my ancestral visions at comp REL?

A google searched-up L2 judge answer said "Players never have to point out their opponent's missed triggers, though they may do so if they wish. At Regular REL (smaller store-level events like FNM), if not too much has happened since the trigger was missed, and no decisions were made based on the triggering being missed, then put it on the stack now (as per the "Judging at Regular REL" document). At Competitive REL (e.g., a PTQ or other larger tournament), it's a Missed Trigger (though not a Warning, since the Baloth's Suspend trigger isn't generally considered detrimental), and the opponent has the option to let the trigger happen or not. Intentionally missing/ignoring triggers is Cheating, and is a DQ at every REL."

Put a die on your deck to remind you on the upkeep trigger, that's what I do.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 2, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Thorn Elemental was my MVP back in the day. Didn't matter if you blocked it was like super Trample. He made a lot of my friends mad.

Edit--I also remember cracking open Phyrexian Colossus and putting it into every single deck I made.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hopefully you remember to take it off next turn.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

Hopefully you remember to take it off next turn.

Someone should make a deck with Ancestral Visions, Mishra's Bauble, and a whole buncha Pacts as some kind of weighted training deck for upkeep triggers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Voyager I posted:

Someone should make a deck with Ancestral Visions, Mishra's Bauble, and a whole buncha Pacts as some kind of weighted training deck for upkeep triggers.

If you really want to beat Kakarot, you'll need to raise the gravity to 400G and add phasing to the deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

If you really want to beat Kakarot, you'll need to raise the gravity to 400G and add phasing to the deck.

That's not an upkeep trigger though, it happens during your untap step :v:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Voyager I posted:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

That's not an upkeep trigger though, it happens during your untap step :v:

But it's obscure and creates even more madness.

Also, add in cumulative upkeep triggers.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

C-Euro posted:

PYF creature from "back in the day"

Spiritmonger
Mystic Enforcer
Terravore
Not my favorite but I remember a buddy of mine trading for a signed copy of Nantuko Shade back when it was in Standard and it being a big deal

Sabertooth Nishoba hosed me out of so many games of kitchen table magic.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
I remember when Akroma was the hottest poo poo ever.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

My kitchen table decks when I started were all awful green preconstucted decks mixed together, then I went all in on zombies when soulless one came out and that deck owned.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 2, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dehtraen posted:

My favorites when I first played were Royal Assassin, Drudge Skeletons, and Tim.

In fact I remember writing Tim's ability and the Royal Assassin's ability on an extra Drudge Skeleton with a ballpoint pen and trying to use it at Magic Club. I later cut out other abilities from different cards and glue sticked them to a Drudge Skeleton to make a Drudge King. Never did it with a Royal Assassin though because I only had two.

Royal assassin, time elemental, preacher, hells caretaker, Lord of the pit, demonic hordes, hypnotic specter.

Yeah I played esper control before esper was esper.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Around ODY/ONS I had a UG madness ripoff that wanted to get a bunch of lands in the GY for super-size Terravores. Also saccing a bunch of lands late with Read the Runes for the final push.

I did proxy up Extended Oath of Druids around that time too, with the unbeatable Cognivore kill. Simpler times!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

C-Euro posted:

Around ODY/ONS I had a UG madness ripoff that wanted to get a bunch of lands in the GY for super-size Terravores. Also saccing a bunch of lands late with Read the Runes for the final push.

I did proxy up Extended Oath of Druids around that time too, with the unbeatable Cognivore kill. Simpler times!

Werebear and Nimble Mongoose with Wonder in the Graveyard was my kind of thing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Black knight
Hypnotic Spector
kezzerdrix
Verdant force
Ball lightning
Bottle gnomes

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Veteran Bodyguard protected me from a lot of damage in 1994.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Hand of Justice
Hypnotic Specter
Fungasaur+ Prodigal Sorcerer combo
Killer Bees

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lure and thicket basilisk was my thing, with a little whirling dervish on the side.

And the remainder of the auras went on to rabid wombat.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 2, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ManMythLegend posted:

Hand of Justice
Hypnotic Specter
Fungasaur+ Prodigal Sorcerer combo
Killer Bees

Oh yeah killer bees and whirling dervish

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Voyager I posted:

Look up Judge's Tower/Wizard Tower. It's great for trigger training.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Oh man I forgot about the time I bought four Prophecy packs hoping to get an Avatar of Woe-and opened two of them. I didn't make a black deck, though; I put them in my UW deck with Show and Tell.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I was never able to get a good deck going that used it, but drat if I didn't think Spirit of the Night was rad enough to keep trying to do it.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I placed top 16 at a PTQ with goblin bidding when I was 14 or so . Goblin sharpshooter was so much fun. I play izzit machine gun on MTGO because it reminds me of that deck a little bit. That and it only cost two tickets to make not including spire Bluffs

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Listerine Hangover posted:

I placed top 16 at a PTQ with goblin bidding when I was 14 or so
I wrote a detailed guide on that deck that got praise from people far better than me, that deck was the loving best, that's probably my favorite deck from that era. loving aggro-combo, so good. Especially when your opponent had no idea why you were counting and grinning wider and wider.Then suddenly they go from 16 to 0 in a turn. gently caress you mono-white control, go durdle in the 0-1 bracket.

I would love to see how that deck performs against present day Standard creature decks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Spiderdrake posted:

I wrote a detailed guide on that deck that got praise from people far better than me, that deck was the loving best, that's probably my favorite deck from that era. loving aggro-combo, so good. Especially when your opponent had no idea why you were counting and grinning wider and wider.Then suddenly they go from 16 to 0 in a turn. gently caress you mono-white control, go durdle in the 0-1 bracket.

I would love to see how that deck performs against present day Standard creature decks.

Post a goblin bidding list and description please

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
drat all this nostalgia talk made me remember when i first started. I spent weeks of lunch money on Tempest boosters just so i could read Gerrad adventures on art/flavor texts :unsmith: . I only played at school, with a lovely burn deck (Urza lands + fireball was all i had.) , and my experience with the game at the time was 50% spent playing the game, the others 50% watching other kids lowkey stealing the poo poo out of fools who didn't paid atention.

Also a friend showed me Sliver Queen at the time and i couldn't believe was real.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My memory of lunchtime middle school magic was watching people play with cards that I have since determined were not yet out when I was in middle school

The memories are super vivid too

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Listerine Hangover posted:

I placed top 16 at a PTQ with goblin bidding when I was 14 or so . Goblin sharpshooter was so much fun. I play izzit machine gun on MTGO because it reminds me of that deck a little bit. That and it only cost two tickets to make not including spire Bluffs

Yesssssss, Goblin Bidding and Astral Slide we're my first tournament decks.

Nothing like realizing you were at lethal with by having sharpshooters shoot themselves to trigger the other sharpshooters untapping.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Personal_Nirvana posted:

drat all this nostalgia talk made me remember when i first started. I spent weeks of lunch money on Tempest boosters just so i could read Gerrad adventures on art/flavor texts :unsmith: . I only played at school, with a lovely burn deck (Urza lands + fireball was all i had.) , and my experience with the game at the time was 50% spent playing the game, the others 50% watching other kids lowkey stealing the poo poo out of fools who didn't paid atention.

Also a friend showed me Sliver Queen at the time and i couldn't believe was real.

We used to play big multippayer games in high school with 5 or 6 of us at once. Channel fireball and forking them were constant.

There were also dozens of games where inevitably someone would chuck a kobold with a stone giant and it would be bloodlusted 3 times and berserked by other players for a comedy alpha strike.

I miss those days sometimes. It's why I have my old unlimited Shivan dragons.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

Post a goblin bidding list and description please

I too would like a list. I started playing right at the tail end of Onslaught block. That means my first block release was Mirrodin, which was so loving sad.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Wolfgang Elder took a Goblin Bidding list to the quarter finals of Worlds in 2003.

http://mtg.gamepedia.com/World_Championship_Decks

3 Gempalm Incinerator
1 Goblin Grappler
4 Goblin Piledriver
2 Goblin Sharpshooter
4 Goblin Sledder
3 Goblin Taskmaster
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Siege-Gang Commander
3 Skirk Prospector
4 Sparksmith

3 Smother
3 Patriarch's Bidding

4 Bloodstained Mire
1 City of Brass
10 Mountain
3 Shadowblood Ridge
4 Swamp

Sideboard
2 Cabal Therapy
2 Dark Banishing
2 Flaring Pain
1 Smother
4 Starstorm
4 Sulfuric Vortex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Prospector was good in that deck, wonder why the single Grappler is in there over the fourth Prospector

oh well it was Worlds, that tournament was only like 1/3 Standard anyway