Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/bento_LWA/status/881078897948762112
https://twitter.com/bento_LWA/status/881083513503600640

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That reads less like an actual mistranslation and more like just really poor wording of said translation. They're saying similar things, but with different word choice that gives it a different connotation.

From what I've seen of the dub, not much seems off translation-wise there, but I haven't gotten to said episode yet.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 1, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really poor wording is a mistranslation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I'm gonna see what the dub says for that scene when I get to it, because the dub has different wording too.

Also goddamn, Akko's entire existence is like a dream where you have a final but don't remember taking the class.

E: I can understand them not getting Chum Lee, but couldn't they have even tried for an impersonation?

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
The LWA game will come out on Steam as well as PS4 according to this article

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CheetoRamen posted:

Shiggity Shiggity Schwa.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Do the believing and you receive the magic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/881195707117576194

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So i know what my first nendo will be.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So i know what my first nendo will be.

no, because i'm going to buy the whole production run

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Curse you, John Muir's racist ghoooooooost!

:argh:

I just read The Mountains of California, and hoo boy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CheetoRamen posted:

Also it's being localized.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Sucy's angle is less her weird low-key gross/weird voice acting and more her being eternally tired and low-energy. It still works pretty well.
I like the dub as a whole but there's weird ADR quality inconsistencies going on it. For some reason it sounds like Hannah's dialogue was recorded on a different microphone and sounds different from everyone else's.

Edit: also I'm disappointed that they didn't bother with accents like at all

To be fair, the original didn't either

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

CheetoRamen posted:

If I can walk around Luna Nova and talk to other characters and explore the school it'll be loving GOTY for me.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah if it's like the old Harry Potter games where you free roam and magic at things and maybe occasionally do a plot, I'm sold.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's pretty much what it is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also it's being localized.

Just watch, Netflix will pick the game up, take a small eternity to release it and only release half of it in spite of calling it the whole game.

https://twitter.com/Joshawott/status/881518120585895936

Yeah, no this is just incompetent work at play.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

^^ I should note again that I'm not noticing any problems like this in the dub, so it looks like that had a lot more care and effort put into it. At the least, there was no missing dialogue in episode 3. Though I would guess that's more on Bang Zoom or whatever studio did the dub rather than Netflix itself, so yeah.

E: The English studio is Artwood Sound, which I've never heard of, but it looks to be using a lot of Bang Zoom talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flw_A5HWXak

Trigger is doing all new animated footage for the game.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 2, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

according to the trigger panel if jasminka stops eating the demon inside her will end the world as revenge for the holodomor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trigger's new project is an adaptation of the tokusatsu series Gridman by Amemiya. Here's a Gridman short he did a few years ago to get you excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDG5ubP0OI

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Waffleman_ posted:

Trigger's new project is an adaptation of the tokusatsu series Gridman by Amemiya. Here's a Gridman short he did a few years ago to get you excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDG5ubP0OI

This doesn't really excite me at all. It looks too classic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

according to the trigger panel if jasminka stops eating the demon inside her will end the world as revenge for the holodomor

Wait, really? Not kidding here? Because if so... :tviv:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, really? Not kidding here? Because if so... :tviv:
100% serious; I wasn't at the panel but there's multiple people who livetweeted it/live4channed it

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I can sort of see why that wasn't in the show because holy poo poo.

"I eat to sate the demons inside me.

Literal demons.

If I stop eating they'll kill us all. My hunger is eternal. Please help."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think I know the plot for the third movie!!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Do you think they already have their English dub actors picked?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Do you think they already have their English dub actors picked?

Bolts of electricity can't be great for the intonation on that guitar...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The trigger panel was really good I got zenny shot into my face

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just watch, Netflix will pick the game up, take a small eternity to release it and only release half of it in spite of calling it the whole game.

https://twitter.com/Joshawott/status/881518120585895936

Yeah, no this is just incompetent work at play.

Maybe they go with one of the more standard dubbing houses next time. The studio they used for this is called Artwood Sound.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

1. I'm pretty sure those tweets are regarding the subtitles, which I'm guessing were done in-house at Netflix.

2. The studio they used is in LA, so the people working on the dub were basically all people who usually work with Bang Zoom.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I've been watching the dub (with subtitles on) and it holds up fine. Not sure why the subs are such an issue when they've had this long to work on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dub update: Dub presents this line as "One who is not yet worthy"

It's starting to feel like for as much poo poo people give them sometimes, dubtitles would have actually been the preferable option.

E: Never mind, someone said "It can't be helped" dub is trash imo [/sarcasm]

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 3, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's starting to feel like for as much poo poo people give them sometimes, dubtitles would have actually been the preferable option.

Having people actually says this stuff out loud does catch /some/ of the problems.
(Though with the VA pool being so small, they are probably utterly numb to all the
anime-isms that would not pass a proper editor).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, there's a lot of "[Thing], huh?" and like I said, there was a "It can't be helped."

But those are honestly minor issues. More pet peeves than anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of "[Thing], huh?" and like I said, there was a "It can't be helped."

But those are honestly minor issues. More pet peeves than anything.
"It can't be helped" doesn't bug me unless it's used repeatedly. There's a ton of different ways to translate it and they all mean the same thing- it's one of the only over-literal translation things that doesn't bother me much.

I hate poo poo like "I'M GOING TO HAVE TO USE THAT" or "...THAT PERSON!" and most of the other trailing exclamations and the like that are pretty idiomatic to Japanese speakers but sound really weird to anyone else.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
-Sucy is adopted. She was found abandoned with a bottle of poison in her basket. Her infatuation with poisons and mushrooms stems from a secret desire to find her real family by one day reverse-engineering the poison she was found with.
-Amanda is from a rich American family that owns a popular department store chain (Yoshinari's translator said "basically Walmart", but I don't know if those were Yoshinari's actual words). They made their fortune on the predictions of Amanda's grandmother, a fortune-telling witch. She recently passed away, so Amanda is attending Luna Nova to obtain the same fortune-telling powers.
-Constanze was diagnosed with a terrible illness when she was young. In order to save her life, her soul was pulled from her body. This stunted her development and is also why she cannot speak. Her soul now resides in the Stanbot. They did not go into detail about how that works.
-Jasminka eats constantly because she is possessed by a demonic spirit from Soviet-era Ukraine during a famine. If she stops eating, the effects could be literally apocalyptic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

-Sucy is adopted. She was found abandoned with a bottle of poison in her basket. Her infatuation with poisons and mushrooms stems from a secret desire to find her real family by one day reverse-engineering the poison she was found with.
-Amanda is from a rich American family that owns a popular department store chain (Yoshinari's translator said "basically Walmart", but I don't know if those were Yoshinari's actual words). They made their fortune on the predictions of Amanda's grandmother, a fortune-telling witch. She recently passed away, so Amanda is attending Luna Nova to obtain the same fortune-telling powers.
-Constanze was diagnosed with a terrible illness when she was young. In order to save her life, her soul was pulled from her body. This stunted her development and is also why she cannot speak. Her soul now resides in the Stanbot. They did not go into detail about how that works.
-Jasminka eats constantly because she is possessed by a demonic spirit from Soviet-era Ukraine during a famine. If she stops eating, the effects could be literally apocalyptic.

...I think Trigger's taking at least some of the piss.

I mean, that is my default assumption about everything Trigger does, but this seems especially relevant now.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Constanze is a replicant? Connection to NieR found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"Wangari? Yeah she's a war orphan from South Sudan... She saw many horrible things you know. 'Nuff said." -Trigger

• Locked thread